PDA

View Full Version : Tired of losing, Pirates fans plot protest

Stlrs4Life
06-21-2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_513583.html

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/images/head_ptr.gif (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/pittsburgh/) Back to headlines (javascript:history.back())
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/images/larger_text.gifLarger text (javascript:ts('storyBody',1)) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/images/smaller_text.gifSmaller text (javascript:ts('storyBody',-1)) Tired of losing, Pirates fans plot protest

By Karen Price (kprice@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 21, 2007

Some angry Pirates fans are hoping a protest June 30 at PNC Park doesn't fall on deaf ears.
Andy Chomos and Sean Lucas are two of the organizers behind Fans for Change, a grass-roots campaign aimed at recent decisions by team management.
The protest will consist of a pregame rally and petition-signing on Federal Street from 5-7 p.m. During the game against the Washington Nationals, protesters will leave their seats after the third inning and will have the option of staying in the concourse until the fifth inning or leaving the ballpark.
Chomos, a 43-year-old business owner from Wexford, wants fans to wear green shirts, to symbolize money leaving the building.
story continues below

var AdBrite_Title_Color = '0000FF'; var AdBrite_Text_Color = '000000'; var AdBrite_Background_Color = 'FFFFFF'; var AdBrite_Border_Color = 'FFFFFF';

"We want to demonstrate that we're not satisfied with the product on the field, with the general manager's moves and ownership's not committing to producing a winner," he said.
The movement started about 10 days ago when Lucas, a Master of Business Administration student at Duquesne, sent a letter to local media outlets. The letter was reported by a TV station and later made its way to the Internet. Through blogs and message boards, the idea for the protest gained shape.
"The goal is to give upset fans, fed-up fans, an outlet to voice their opinion publicly for the first time in 14 years of losing baseball," said Lucas, 25, of the North Hills.
A Pirates spokesman said the team has no comment on the protest.
Chomos said he's gotten 7,000 e-mail responses about the protest. Lucas said his group passed out flyers during the Pirates' most recent home series and talked to 1,500 fans.
"Ninety-nine percent loved the idea," Lucas said. "Whether they'll come, that's their decision. But people loved the idea."
Chomos has heard the skeptics who believe the protest will accomplish nothing. The sentiment there, he said, is that unhappy fans can best make their feelings known by not showing up at all.
"But the problem is we want to go," Chomos said. "We paid for (PNC Park), we want to go. We recognize that the beautiful ballpark, a ballpark paid for by the taxpayers, is a jewel and, frankly, there are enough casual baseball fans that people are going to continue to go. And people should not be denied the right to go to the game."

Karen Price can be reached at kprice@tribweb.com (kprice@tribweb.com) or 412-320-7980.
Back to headlines (javascript:history.back())

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I wonder how this work will pay off. It worked in Baltimore(In terms of the team spending money). Maybe it can work here.

The Duke
06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Hope it works, I'm not much of a baseball fan but I follow what's happening with the pirates and it doesn't look to promising, besides it's Pittsburgh, this has got to be a winning team

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Hope it works, I'm not much of a baseball fan but I follow what's happening with the pirates and it doesn't look to promising, besides it's Pittsburgh, this has got to be a winning team

We may still support our teams in losing years, but we want winning years. We are the city of champions. Not city of Losers. That's Philadelphia.

rbryan
06-25-2007, 06:09 PM
I'll take this one step further. I'm boycotting baseball altogether. MLB is the last major sport without a salary cap. Until that changes I won't watch another game. I'm over it.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I'll take this one step further. I'm boycotting baseball altogether. MLB is the last major sport without a salary cap. Until that changes I won't watch another game. I'm over it.

Something I can do if I ever become the Commissioner of Baseball, I'll be pushing for that thing called SALARY CAP!

rbryan
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I wonder how many Steeler fans would be left with a run like the Pirates have had.

The Steelers would be in the same boat without a salary cap.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I wonder how many Steeler fans would be left with a run like the Pirates have had.

The Steelers would be in the same boat without a salary cap.

One more reason Football will always do better then Baseball. Football has a SALARY CAP, Baseball doesn't.

Edman
06-25-2007, 07:50 PM

Same here.

MLB should've been the league that went on a one-year lockout instead of the NHL.

The Pirates' continuous sucking, their half-assed ownership, the empty promises, the steroids scandal, hearing about Barry and A-Rod all the time, and the having Yankees/Red Sox shoved down my throat every year just makes me sick of baseball. At least in the NFL you have surprise teams, stories, and parity every other year.

X-Terminator
06-25-2007, 08:21 PM
It won't work.

PisnNapalm
06-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Good luck with that... It's not gonna do a damn thing

rbryan
06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Same here.

MLB should've been the league that went on a one-year lockout instead of the NHL.

The Pirates' continuous sucking, their half-assed ownership, the empty promises, the steroids scandal, hearing about Barry and A-Rod all the time, and the having Yankees/Red Sox shoved down my throat every year just makes me sick of baseball. At least in the NFL you have surprise teams, stories, and parity every other year.

I'm surprised MLB hasn't moved one of them to the National league.Then we could watch them play in the World Series EVERY year.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm surprised MLB hasn't moved one of them to the National league.Then we could watch them play in the World Series EVERY year.

Yeah I'm suprised of that to. Not to mention maybe moved 2 other MLB Teams over to the AL so we'd have to have interleague all season.

Buzz05
06-26-2007, 05:30 AM
I wonder how this work will pay off. It worked in Baltimore(In terms of the team spending money). Maybe it can work here.

Ehh it didnt really work here...The O's still suck....

Atleast the Bucs have the Great Pittsburgh Perogi race...The O's have homeless people racing to you after the game to get your left over peanuts

SteelCityMan786
06-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Ehh it didnt really work here...The O's still suck....

Atleast the Bucs have the Great Pittsburgh Perogi race...The O's have homeless people racing to you after the game to get your left over peanuts

Have to start somewhere. Just hopefully they found the right manager for the time being at least.

83-Steelers-43
06-27-2007, 11:19 PM
LOL, now this is priceless. Business as usual for the Pirates ownership.........

Smizik: Walkout by Pirates fans gets blacked out: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07179/797796-194.stm

They have asked their television announcing crew not to discuss the walkout with the media. They have removed all comments about the walkout from their message board at pirates.com. They have the support of their television rights holder, FSN Pittsburgh, which does not plan to show the protest as part of its game coverage.

http://post.queensu.ca/~curtis/sony/barbrady.jpg "Come on, move along people. Nothing to see here......nothing to see....."

tony hipchest
06-27-2007, 11:41 PM
i'll trade you my 3 pirates tickets for a stick of gum and a Kerry Wood trading card...

the sad thing is, i cant wait for my 1st PNC park experience and to see the reds win.

LETS.....Go......bucs.....

even sadder is for the same price, i wont be able to see flayed and plastisized human corpses displayed at the science center. i guess seeing a cadaver of a sports franchise will have to suffice. im sure i will see atleast 9 stiffs take the field though.

83-Steelers-43
06-27-2007, 11:43 PM
What's next?

http://clipart.toonarific.com/data/thumbnails/12/sp29.gif "Get all zee Pirate fanz who disagree with meeee and my ownership cabinet and we will round zem all up and get rid of zem. Jetzt!!! Hast!!! Hast!!!"

83-Steelers-43
06-27-2007, 11:44 PM
i'll trade you my 3 pirates tickets for a stick of gum and a Kerry Wood trading card...

I'll throw in a Jason Kendall and Derek Bell rookie card!!! :cheer:

tony hipchest
06-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I'll throw in a Jason Kendall and Derek Bell rookie card!!! :cheer:nahhhh, you can keep them. i want someone who still has hope with the club that drafted them. :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
06-27-2007, 11:52 PM
nahhhh, you can keep them. i want someone who still has hope with the club that drafted them. :sofunny:

What? Derek Bell getting caught with cocaine and a warm crack pipe counts for nothing these days? WTF?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/5b/150px-DerekBell_BookingPhoto.jpg

tony hipchest
06-28-2007, 12:05 AM
LMAO! i woulda asked for a dwight gooden but i know thats actually worth something to some people. im just trying to be reasonable here and get something for my tix. :sofunny:

lol. actually i dont care. its been so long since seeing a game im gonna be as happy as a sailor screwing a fat chick. i just hope the stadium is empty so i can shag a few reds homerun balls (im not expecting the pirates to hit none.

wait. the game is on "gospel night" and free "willie stargell jersey for the kids" day. i guess the house will be packed :dang:

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I think that's "Propoganda Night". The Pirates excellent and talented jumbotron team will put together clips which include the 70's Pirates and subliminal messages of Pirate Grand Slam HR's and beautifully turned double plays. They will be handing out "beautiful literature" about upcoming events and what you can do in order to keep the greatest owners in all of pro sport here in Pittsburgh for many, many more years to come.

Also.......Hey adults 50 years of age and older!!! The Pirates will be introducing a brand new beverage at PNC Park on Saturday, June 30. The Pirates are proud to announce the unveiling of "Battling Bucco's Beer". Jim Jones.......I mean Robert Nutting will be there IN PERSON to hand out the drinks. Out with the old and in with the new. WE WILL!!!

verks36
06-28-2007, 12:26 AM
chance of this changing at all what the pirates mangement thinks = 0

until baseball changes its salllary cap system small market team will have a huge disadvantage compared to the larger market teams.

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2007, 12:28 AM
chance of this changing at all what the pirates mangement thinks = 0

*Black van drives up to Verks36's house. Masked men with bear mace in hand put a black hood over his head and throw him into van never to be seen again*

See that! I told ya!

fansince'76
06-28-2007, 07:25 AM
What's next?

http://clipart.toonarific.com/data/thumbnails/12/sp29.gif "Get all zee Pirate fanz who disagree with meeee and my ownership cabinet and we will round zem all up and get rid of zem. Jetzt!!! Hast!!! Hast!!!"

Them's fighting words, buddy. Put up yer dukes!

http://www.indy.org/library/2006Docs/Jun/7011085/pittparrot.jpg

:toofunny:

verks36
06-28-2007, 12:24 PM
*Black van drives up to Verks36's house. Masked men with bear mace in hand put a black hood over his head and throw him into van never to be seen again*

See that! I told ya!

no not bare mace I'd would rather get tasered by every police officer in my town then that happen to me again.

There is now way that would happen without me putting up a fight with my newly acquired paint ball gun :dualies::rocket::rocket::ak47::wantsome:

but if i lost :tombstone:tombstone:tombstone

pzsEUoiYhk8 Watch this i would say the face or nuts both are pretty bad unfountley i got the nuts
Look how fast he goes from laughing into serious pain

pittsburghp8baller
06-28-2007, 01:05 PM
I'll throw in a Jason Kendall and Derek Bell rookie card!!! :cheer:

nahh its kendall and bell rookie card will make it a higher value than a pirates ticket

Edman
06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
It won't work.

I'm afraid I'd have to agree.

Just do what other smart fans are doing. Cancel your tickets and don't attend the games at all. Boycott the team. Some protest isn't going to help anything. You're still attending the stadium, and that still puts money in the Nuttings' pockets. Empty stadiums and empty pockets hurt more than protests.

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm afraid I'd have to agree.

Just do what other smart fans are doing. Cancel your tickets and don't attend the games at all. Boycott the team. Some protest isn't going to help anything. You're still attending the stadium, and that still puts money in the Nuttings' pockets. Empty stadiums and empty pockets hurt more than protests.

While I agree Edman that it won't work, it's good to know that the media has picked up on this story and it is getting/gaining attention. That alone is better than business as normal in Pirate La-La Land. You have to remember, some of the people finally walking out on these bums are people who own season ticket packages (like the gentlemen who are in charge of the walk out) for this season. Unfortunately they already wasted their money.

When all is said and done though, empty stadiums and pockets for the remainder of this season and next season in particular would have Nutting and McClatchy thinking twice about owning a ball team. McClatchy would end up moving his @ss back to California and Nutting would go back under the rock he slithered out from.

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2007, 02:05 PM
There is now way that would happen without me putting up a fight with my newly acquired paint ball gun

You be careful with that thing....http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=217_1182811026

:wink02:

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2007, 02:14 PM
http://www.indy.org/library/2006Docs/Jun/7011085/pittparrot.jpg

Ahhh, w/e happened to the days when the Pirate Parot was spun out on cocaine and doing back flips and half the Pirate roster was stoned? Those were the days.

HometownGal
06-29-2007, 07:18 AM
The BEST way to show Pirates ownership and management that we fans disapprove is to stop padding their pockets. It's a very simple concept.

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Nutting says he shares our "frustration"

If you shared our frustration Nutting, wouldn't you be signing better players help lead these guys?

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
does anyone else like the idea of their being a salary cap in baseball. it would at least give us as good of a shot to sign big free agents because the red sox wont be able to throw 50 million dollars down to talk to a guy about signing with them

Edman
06-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Let the Pirate sheep kiss Nuttings' ***. We don't deverve a winning baseball team. We showed it tonight by putting up with this garbage.

Nutting knows he's got suckers. We proved him right tonight.

83-Steelers-43
06-30-2007, 08:21 PM
does anyone else like the idea of their being a salary cap in baseball. it would at least give us as good of a shot to sign big free agents because the red sox wont be able to throw 50 million dollars down to talk to a guy about signing with them

I would LOVE a salary cap in baseball. But teh likes of Steinbrenner call the shots in baseball. The last thing a P.O.S. like him would want is a cap in baseball. That means competition.

BUT.............Pirates ownership is pathetic to begin with. For those who actually believe the Pirates are cash strapped deserve a bobblehead up the you know where. I'm sorry, you are a sucker if your still buying into the Pirates not having any money to spend on major league talent.

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2007, 08:36 PM

Baseball needs a salary cap. Something the Major markets won't go for.