PDA

View Full Version : The NHL Draft

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey, they are booing Bettman, that's original. All I have to say to that.....SALARY CAP.

First two picks are American born. Patrick Kane at #1 and James vanRiemsdyk at #2. It's also the second year in a row an American born player has been taken first overall. That's a first. Nice. :usa:

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 06:55 PM
That's a first. Booing Gary Bettman. lol. The Salary Cap was needed for the league to live. Guess what, they got it, and are doing better in some way.

haha, I guess America's hockey is getting better.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Wow. Cherepanov still sitting tight after 16. Ouch. That's what happens when you have a reported attitude problem. Kid is easily a top five pick.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Wow. Cherepanov still sitting tight after 14. Ouch. That's what happens when you have a reported attitude problem. Kid is easily a top five pick.

Surprising the Angelo Esposito is still sitting. After hearing he's from Montreal, I thought he was gone at 12.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Somebody is going to get two good steals.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Somebody is going to get two good steals.

Hopefully the Penguins get 1 of those steals.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Ducks trade 16 to Wild for 19 and 42.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I heard the announcers saying Anaheim didn't want the 16 spot. So I guess this might help them out even though they had a couple players who could serve as steals.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:02 PM
The Rangers snagged Cheraponov. There's one off the board.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Hopefully Esposito falls to us now.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Hopefully Esposito falls to us now.

I'd love to have the pizan on our roster. A possible trade? At least with Esposito you don't have to worry about Russian politics and the B.S. they have been pulling (ala Malkin).

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Calgary trades 18 to St. Louis for 24 and 70. That might be Esposito's calling card.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd love to have the pizan on our roster. A possible trade? At least with Esposito you don't have to worry about Russian politics and the B.S. they have been pulling (ala Malkin).

Yep, they pulled crap with us. Also, esposito is from canada so he could easily gel with Crosby and Fleury and the other canadiens on our roster.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:08 PM
No....he's still around. Wow.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Ian Cole to the Blues. One more pick and the Penguins will be up.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Ducks up next.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:10 PM
The TSN Reporters were guessing that Cherepanov was going to come our way.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Sweeeeeet. Come on Shero. Let's do it baby..

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Alright come on Ray, ESPOSITO!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:14 PM
To hear the Penguins fans there gets me going.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization Angelo Esposito!!!

ANGELO ESPOSITO
Pos: Centre
Shoots: L
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Born: 2/20/1989
Team: Quebec (QMJHL)
RANKINGS
TSN: 8
CSB: 8 NA
ISS: 11
RLR: 12
McK: 16
THN: 9

The TSN Insider's Forecast: Where do we begin? By now, the Quebec Rempart forward's story has been well documented. Once the odds on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2007 entry draft, his production fell off significantly this season and he became the whipping boy for the same scouting fraternity that was singing his praises a year ago. Now? Good question. Esposito seems to be making a bit of a comeback in terms of his perception with the scouts. Perhaps they realized they were being overly harsh, weighing him against a higher standard than the other prospects. So in terms of a consensus rating, Esposito remains a top-10 prospect, although in our survey of scouts no one had him at No. 5 or higher. But is it possible he will fall out of the top 10? In a word, yes, although the sense now is that any fall out of the top 10 won't be so precipitous. "The truth is he isn't the prospect we thought he was a year ago," said one scout, "but he isn't as bad as he's been made out to be. He is still a good prospect in this draft." Esposito's strength is quickness and his skill with the puck. His critics suggest he needs to battle harder on a more consistent basis and use his linemates better. But the kid has scored high points with how he's handled his fall from grace. Numerous scouts commented on how mature he was in the interviews and how he recognized that he allowed the draft-year pressure get to him, but that it's all behind him and he can only focus on being a better player. "In the long run," a scout said, "this adversity could make this kid a lot better hockey player. He's already had to deal with a lot more than the others in this draft and if he can use that to his advantage, he'll be alright." Some have dubbed him the Phil Kessel of this draft, but Esposito could be waiting a lot longer for his name to be called than Kessel did when he fell from can't-miss, No. 1 status to fifth overall last year.

From NHL Central Scouting: A skilled forward with excellent skating ability. His top-end speed and mobility backs off defenders. Sees the ice well and has the ability to make pin-point passes. Not afraid to go to the net. Needs to increase his physical presence and his play in traffic. Needs to show more consistency.

From ISS: We feel strongly that as the season progressed, Esposito displayed some traits that are slightly concerning. He creates so much offense by using his tremendous skating, but will need more at the next level. Plays on the outside - does a lot of fishing with stick near scrums for loose pucks. Needs to show more competitiveness. Used his speed to win races, but wouldn't battle for loose pucks. Soft mentally and questionable leadership ability at next level.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WAY TO GO SHERO!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO PITTSBURGH ANGELO ESPOSITO!!!!!!!!

Petesburgh66
06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow, the Penguins got lucky with Esposito dropping that far down in the draft.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow, the Penguins got lucky with Esposito dropping that far down in the draft.

Yep, I'm shocked Montreal didn't take him.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:31 PM
WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WAY TO GO SHERO!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO PITTSBURGH ANGELO ESPOSITO!!!!!!!!

This is beautiful. Even this year we manage to grab a player who's ranked in some circles in the top 5. Others top 10. For a team picking 20 I'm completely ecstatic with this pick.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 08:33 PM
This is beautiful. Even this year we manage to grab a player who's ranked in some circles in the top 5. Others top 10. For a team picking 20 I'm completely ecstatic with this pick.

Same here brother!

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 08:52 PM
8 Americans taken so far in the top 25 this year.

10 taken last year in the top 25.

tony hipchest
06-22-2007, 09:18 PM
This is beautiful. Even this year we manage to grab a player who's ranked in some circles in the top 5. Others top 10. For a team picking 20 I'm completely ecstatic with this pick.i know nothing about the hockey prospects. just to put it into perspective for me, 3 years in the future, would you compare it to having labron james, dywane wade, and then adding a top 5-10 lottery pick?

do we still need our "shaquille oneal" or does it look thike the penguins will be set for the future (and i realize with all the subsitutions and line changes hockey is much more complicated than basketball, but you know what im getting at...)

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
i know nothing about the hockey prospects. just to put it into perspective for me, 3 years in the future, would you compare it to having labron james, dywane wade, and then adding a top 5-10 lottery pick?

do we still need our "shaquille oneal" or does it look thike the penguins will be set for the future (and i realize with all the subsitutions and line changes hockey is much more complicated than basketball, but you know what im getting at...)

Just my opinion...

The comparison made tonight was that Esposito is our Brady Quinn. Only difference, "our Brady Quinn" is going to be playing with players named Crosby, Staal and Malkin. For me, it's hard to say who you can compare him to at this point in time, but at #20 we would have been crazy to not pick him up.

Some 'experts' busted on the kid because he was surrounded by talent and that's supposedly why he played well. Guess what? It's not going to be any different here in the Da'Burgh. Crosby, Malkin and Staal are no scrubs...lol. Let's see how the kid pans out in one or two years when he's hopefully up at the NHL level playing along a more seasoned Staal and a more seasoned Malkin.

I still feel we need a blueline defenseman and a winger who can instantly make an impact (through trade or FA) on this team this year. Malone and Recchi are not the answer for a player of Sidney Crosby's caliber.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 09:38 PM
The comparison made tonight was that Esposito is our Brady Quinn. Only difference, "our Brady Quinn" is going to be playing with players named Crosby, Staal and Malkin. For me, it's hard to say who you can compare him to at this point in time, but at #20 we would have been crazy to not pick him up.

Some 'experts' busted on the kid because he was surrounded by talent and that's supposedly why he played well. Guess what? It's not going to be any different here in the Da'Burgh. Crosby, Malkin and Staal are no scrubs...lol. Let's see how the kid pans out in one or two years when he's hopefully up at the NHL level playing along a more seasoned Staal and a more seasoned Malkin.

Overall though, I still feel we need a blueline defenseman and a winger who can instantly make an impact (through trade or FA) on this team this year.

Not to mention, Esposito is 100x+ Better then Quinn.

83-Steelers-43
06-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Not to mention, Esposito is 100x+ Better then Quinn.

If this kid gets the message from dropping to 20, and if the challenge of playing with Crosby, Malkin and Staal... who all proved themselves this year encourages him to step up, then the Pens just got incredibly strong down the middle.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 09:48 PM
If this kid gets the message from dropping to 20, and if the challenge of playing with Crosby, Malkin and Staal... who all proved themselves this year encourages him to step up, then the Pens just got incredibly strong down the middle.

:iagree: I can definantly see this happening.

X-Terminator
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Man, Shero has to feel he's been touched by a leprechaun to have been able to get Esposito - a top 10 talent - at #20. And how must Angelo feel to be coming to a team that has the best player in the world and arguably the best collection of young talent in the league? This could very well turn out to be the steal of the draft, because this kid can flat-out play. Who cares about who he played with in juniors? He still had to get them the puck and put a few pucks in the net himself to put up those numbers, didn't he? I'm sure as hell not going to hold that against him.

Great pick by the Pens again!

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization Angelo Esposito!!!

ANGELO ESPOSITO
Pos: Centre
Shoots: L
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Born: 2/20/1989
Team: Quebec (QMJHL)
RANKINGS
TSN: 8
CSB: 8 NA
ISS: 11
RLR: 12
McK: 16
THN: 9

The TSN Insider's Forecast: Where do we begin? By now, the Quebec Rempart forward's story has been well documented. Once the odds on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2007 entry draft, his production fell off significantly this season and he became the whipping boy for the same scouting fraternity that was singing his praises a year ago. Now? Good question. Esposito seems to be making a bit of a comeback in terms of his perception with the scouts. Perhaps they realized they were being overly harsh, weighing him against a higher standard than the other prospects. So in terms of a consensus rating, Esposito remains a top-10 prospect, although in our survey of scouts no one had him at No. 5 or higher. But is it possible he will fall out of the top 10? In a word, yes, although the sense now is that any fall out of the top 10 won't be so precipitous. "The truth is he isn't the prospect we thought he was a year ago," said one scout, "but he isn't as bad as he's been made out to be. He is still a good prospect in this draft." Esposito's strength is quickness and his skill with the puck. His critics suggest he needs to battle harder on a more consistent basis and use his linemates better. But the kid has scored high points with how he's handled his fall from grace. Numerous scouts commented on how mature he was in the interviews and how he recognized that he allowed the draft-year pressure get to him, but that it's all behind him and he can only focus on being a better player. "In the long run," a scout said, "this adversity could make this kid a lot better hockey player. He's already had to deal with a lot more than the others in this draft and if he can use that to his advantage, he'll be alright." Some have dubbed him the Phil Kessel of this draft, but Esposito could be waiting a lot longer for his name to be called than Kessel did when he fell from can't-miss, No. 1 status to fifth overall last year.

From NHL Central Scouting: A skilled forward with excellent skating ability. His top-end speed and mobility backs off defenders. Sees the ice well and has the ability to make pin-point passes. Not afraid to go to the net. Needs to increase his physical presence and his play in traffic. Needs to show more consistency.

From ISS: We feel strongly that as the season progressed, Esposito displayed some traits that are slightly concerning. He creates so much offense by using his tremendous skating, but will need more at the next level. Plays on the outside - does a lot of fishing with stick near scrums for loose pucks. Needs to show more competitiveness. Used his speed to win races, but wouldn't battle for loose pucks. Soft mentally and questionable leadership ability at next level.

Sounds like the Pens got a steal....Thought they would go defensive with the first pick but when a top 10 prospect falls to you at 20 then you have to make that pick...

Is this Tony Esposito's son?

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Man, Shero has to feel he's been touched by a leprechaun to have been able to get Esposito - a top 10 talent - at #20. And how must Angelo feel to be coming to a team that has the best player in the world and arguably the best collection of young talent in the league? This could very well turn out to be the steal of the draft, because this kid can flat-out play. Who cares about who he played with in juniors? He still had to get them the puck and put a few pucks in the net himself to put up those numbers, didn't he? I'm sure as hell not going to hold that against him.

Great pick by the Pens again!

No doubt about it.

X-Terminator
06-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Is this Tony Esposito's son?

No, they are not related.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
No, they are not related.

Any word of relation to Phil?

83-Steelers-43
06-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Any word of relation to Phil?

No relation to Phil or Tony.

LarryNJ
06-23-2007, 06:40 AM
I was listening to a Philly sports talk show on the way home lastnight. A guy called up and ask why the 2 seals of the draft went to the Pens & Rangers! :sofunny:

I can see it now. Angelo's Italian Army!!

Interview (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9765) with Angelo.

83-Steelers-43
06-23-2007, 06:43 AM
I can see it now. Angelo's Italian Army!!

Oh yeah. I'm liking that. The Penguin Pizan. :cheers::thumbsup:

http://www.unbsj.ca/arts/english/jones/mt/images/Italian%20flag.JPG

Also, thanks for the interview. Good read.

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Oh yeah. I'm liking that. The Penguin Pizan. :cheers::thumbsup:

http://www.unbsj.ca/arts/english/jones/mt/images/Italian%20flag.JPG

Also, thanks for the interview. Good read.

It has a good ring to it.