PDA

View Full Version : SN Ranks The AFC Guard/Centre Combo's

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Some rankings, nothing too controversial - these guys don't hit the headlines very often.

Mankins (1st round pick a couple of years back) has been nothing short of excellent at LG for the Patriots - he is already top 5 in the NFL, I would say.

Dan Koppen has excellent chemistry with Brady (no, not that type of chemistry :wink02:) - which very, very important when communicating blocking assignments and the like.

Neal is a converted wrestler, stil has plenty of upside 0 i'd rate him in the 'above average' category and no higher.

Im surpised the Colts aren't higher - I think they have the best O-Line (as a whole)in the NFL aswell as the best centre (who was undrafted).

1. PATRIOTS RG Stephen Neal, C Dan Koppen and LG Logan Mankins do a great job of working combination blocks. The standout is Mankins, who has good quickness and strength.

2. CHARGERS C Nick Hardwick and LG Kris Dielman are two of the finest young interior linemen in the league. Both are tough, nasty and relentless. RG Mike Goff is underrated and consistent.

3. CHIEFS LG Brian Waters is as good as they come, and small but athletic C Casey Wiegmann fits the Chiefs' system well. RG John Welbourn has the unenviable task of replacing retired star Will Shields.

4. COLTS C Jeff Saturday made the past two Pro Bowls. RG Jake Scott and LG Ryan Lilja are adept at interior pass protection and pulling on running plays.

5. BRONCOS C Tom Nalen, 36, looked spry enough in '06 to merit Pro Bowl consideration. LG Ben Hamilton gets to the second level extremely well. Chris Kuper and Montrae Holland will compete at right guard.

6. JAGUARS RG Chris Naeole and LG Vince Manuwai helped the Jags post a franchise record in rushing yards last season. C Brad Meester is showing improvement.

7. STEELERS Pro Bowl LG Alan Faneca is unhappy about his contract. C Chukky Okobi might start over newcomer Sean Mahan. RG Kendall Simmons is inconsistent.

8. BENGALS Despite losing LG Eric Steinbach, the interior is solid. C Eric Ghiaciuc is improving, and RG Bobbie Williams is a punishing run blocker. Andrew Whitworth and Stacy Andrews are battling on the left side.

9. JETS The potential departure of LG Pete Kendall would mean a major drop-off. C Nick Mangold is an emerging star, and RG Brandon Moore does a workmanlike job.

10. BROWNS LG Eric Steinbach is a master technician. C Hank Fraley is always on top of the line calls. RG Seth McKinney missed 2006 with a neck injury.

11. TITANS C Kevin Mawae, 36, has a calming influence on a young group. LG Jacob Bell is athletic and has good feet; RG Benji Olson is more physical.

12. BILLS Free-agent pickup Derrick Dockery provides a big upgrade at left guard. Duke Preston is the favorite to win the right guard job. C Melvin Fowler has a nice feel for the game.

13. TEXANS Old pros Mike Flanagan and Steve McKinney are competing for the starting job at center. LG Chester Pitts is dependable, and RG Fred Weary is on the rise.

14. RAVENS RG Chris Chester will start until rookie Ben Grubbs is ready. Then, the Ravens would like to insert Chester for C Mike Flynn. LG Jason Brown has a huge upside.

15. DOLPHINS The team shifted Rex Hadnot to right guard to open up center for rookie Samson Satele and his nonstop motor. Aging Chris Liwienski will play left guard.

16. RAIDERS Guards Paul McQuistan and Kevin Boothe endured growing pains as rookies in '06 and could be spelled by Cooper Carlisle. Injuries and uneven play have hindered C Jake Grove's progress.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=225746

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Not bad ranking for the Steelers Center/Guard Combo. This year and possibly next will adjusting years since Hartings Retired and Faneca most likely will be gone.

boLT fan
06-23-2007, 03:45 PM
16. RAIDERS Guards Paul McQuistan and Kevin Boothe endured growing pains as rookies in '06 and could be spelled by Cooper Carlisle. Injuries and uneven play have hindered C Jake Grove's progress.

He says all the bad things, and still has them at 16? Other than this ranking it looks good.

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
He says all the bad things, and still has them at 16? Other than this ranking it looks good.

Its just the AFC, dude!

16 is as bad as it gets :wink02:

tony hipchest
06-23-2007, 03:51 PM
ravens 14th???

talk to any ravens fan and they will tell you THEY have the best line in the nfl. then they will remind you that steve mcnair was the mvp and willis mcgahee is the best rb in the league. they are gonna be the greatest offense this season... :rolleyes:

so the patriots are the best? thats gonna be an expensive unit to keep together... im thinking management prefers it when theyre players were just "disrespected"

boLT fan
06-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Its just the AFC, dude!

16 is as bad as it gets :wink02:

Oooh... ok...

This moment... never happened...:cya:

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Oooh... ok...

LOL.

We've all had our 'momentary misjudgements' :cheers:

CantStop85
06-23-2007, 05:52 PM
8th is pretty generous for the Bengals, considering 2 out of the 3 starting guards/center were backups last year. Then again, there are some pretty bad lines in the AFC.

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 06:05 PM
ravens 14th???

talk to any ravens fan and they will tell you THEY have the best line in the nfl. then they will remind you that steve mcnair was the mvp and willis mcgahee is the best rb in the league. they are gonna be the greatest offense this season... :rolleyes:

so the patriots are the best? thats gonna be an expensive unit to keep together... im thinking management prefers it when theyre players were just "disrespected"

I honestly don't think the Patriots will ever find themselves in a position where they are being held hostage by a Guard.

In my opinion, the Patriots have the best O-lione co-ord in the NFL (by some distance) - when you look at the production gained from mostly low round/undrafted guys its pretty phenomonal.

They appear to get better in the postseason too.

Centre and LT are the key positions - the Patriots are set at both for the time being - we have plenty of guys on the roster who have been learning and improving in the background for a few years.

tony hipchest
06-23-2007, 06:20 PM
I honestly don't think the Patriots will ever find themselves in a position where they are being held hostage by a Guard.

.thats right, the pats are only held hostage by safeties, wr's and cornerbacks :rolleyes:

i'll give you the best HC and a top 2 qb, but claiming the best ol coach is way to homeristic. nobody but the most die hard patfans even know who he is....

theyve never even led in any statistical category. thats like saying the 49ers ol coach and unit was better than joe bugel and the "hogs". so anyways, if mr. whoever is so great we can expect him to be a head coaching candidate next season?

CantStop85
06-23-2007, 08:58 PM
i'll give you the best HC and a top 2 qb, but claiming the best ol coach is way to homeristic. nobody but the most die hard patfans even know who he is....

How many fans do you actually think could name an offensive line coach from another team? I bet most fans couldn't even name their own offensive line coach.

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 09:16 PM
thats right, the pats are only held hostage by safeties, wr's and cornerbacks :rolleyes:

theyve never even led in any statistical category. thats like saying the 49ers ol coach and unit was better than joe bugel and the "hogs". so anyways, if mr. whoever is so great we can expect him to be a head coaching candidate next season?

Im basing this purely on the success he has had from a bunch of who-dat linemen who barely made the draft. Dan Koppen is probably the 2nd best C in the game (behind Saturday) and he was a 5th rounder who got coached up.

We have had a steady exodus of O-linemen who haven't really set the world alight elsewhere - the guys we pick suit a scheme we build around them - thats down to Dante.

As far as HC'ing goes im hoping he's a little too old for that - he'll be 60 sometime soon.

tony hipchest
06-23-2007, 09:18 PM
How many fans do you actually think could name an offensive line coach from another team? I bet most fans couldn't even name their own offensive line coach.certain guys like gibbs and grimm were definitely well known, and of course bugel. even i knew slater was coaching the raiders last year. l. zeirlein has already made quite a name for himself :wink:

but its true, most casual fans cant even name the offensive or defensive coordinators of other teams. i just find it funny that now we are learning brady is just a product of the finest line and line coach in the nfl :rolleyes:

Livinginthe past
06-23-2007, 09:22 PM
certain guys like gibbs and grimm were definitely well known, and of course bugel. even i knew slater was coaching the raiders last year. l. zeirlein has already made quite a name for himself :wink:

but its true, most casual fans cant even name the offensive or defensive coordinators of other teams. i just find it funny that now we are learning brady is just a product of the finest line and line coach in the nfl :rolleyes:

Thats way out of line, Hipchest.

Brady's clearly a product of Adam Vinatieri!

tony hipchest
06-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Brady's clearly a product of Adam Vinatieri!was a product of vinatieri.

now manning is the product of him... although manning didnt actually need a fg to win the big one :flap:

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2007, 09:56 PM
was a product of vinatieri.

now manning is the product of him... although manning didnt actually need a fg to win the big one :flap:

Not once, Not twice, but three times. :sofunny:

revefsreleets
06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry, but I think this article is way out of line. In fact, it doesn't even make sense. This guy is ranking a bunch of teams who lost players based on hunches and hopes.

Livinginthe past
06-25-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry, but I think this article is way out of line. In fact, it doesn't even make sense. This guy is ranking a bunch of teams who lost players based on hunches and hopes.

Because it'd make alot more sense if we waited until after the season to read what he thought, right? :toofunny:

Gimme 8 months and i'll tell you my favorite for the 2007 SB is.

revefsreleets
06-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Because it'd make alot more sense if we waited until after the season to read what he thought, right? :toofunny:

Gimme 8 months and i'll tell you my favorite for the 2007 SB is.

I think it'd make a lot more sense if he even knew what the depth charts looked like before he tried to make this "educated" guess. How about waiting until training camp at least? A Bengal G will probably be arrested before then. A Redskin C might get shot in the groin with a paintball. The whole Browns OL core could suffer career ending injuries walking around the first practice. Picking how QB's will fare in the upcoming season makes a little sense. This, however, is retarded.

MasterOfPuppets
06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it'd make a lot more sense if he even knew what the depth charts looked like before he tried to make this "educated" guess. How about waiting until training camp at least? A Bengal G will probably be arrested before then. A Redskin C might get shot in the groin with a paintball. The whole Browns OL core could suffer career ending injuries walking around the first practice. Picking how QB's will fare in the upcoming season makes a little sense. This, however, is retarded.

very solid point! faneca may be a holdout who knows if okobi will start,and know one is sure where thier even trying to plug mahan at.

j-dawg
06-27-2007, 01:48 AM
sweet!! a ranking that doesn't have the browns in last.... well, like reve says... training camp hasn't started yet, some petella tendons just waiting to snap... :banging:

revefsreleets
06-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey, I live in Strongsville, so it's not like I don't know whats up in Berea. But I am interested to find out what happens with Bentley. Add that guy to your OL, and you may jump way up.

Preacher
06-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Oooh... ok...

I just had to laugh...

Great way to handle it!!! Your a good man, I don't care WHAT Tony tells me in the private messages!!!
:wink02:

silver & black
06-28-2007, 06:21 PM

I have to agree. Untill anyone on the Raiders' O line proves themselves, they shouldn't be mentioned with ANY other O linemen in the league... even the Browns' O line was better last year, and thats saying a lot!

silver & black
06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;259039]certain guys like gibbs and grimm were definitely well known, and of course bugel. even i knew slater was coaching the raiders last year. l.

Is that what he was doing? I knew he was there... I just couldn't put my finger on WHY he was there. :banging:

MasterOfPuppets
06-28-2007, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;259039]certain guys like gibbs and grimm were definitely well known, and of course bugel. even i knew slater was coaching the raiders last year. l.

Is that what he was doing? I knew he was there... I just couldn't put my finger on WHY he was there. :banging:

:rofl:...sorry S & B.....do you even look forward to football season?...:toofunny:

silver & black
06-28-2007, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=silver & black;260943]

:rofl:...sorry S & B.....do you even look forward to football season?...:toofunny:

I can't wait for football season! We aren't going to set the world on fire, but we can't suck as bad as last year.

I think we will be much improved over last season. We actually have a coaching staff from this century. :bouncy:

boLT fan
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I can't wait for football season! We aren't going to set the world on fire, but we can't suck as bad as last year.:

Ya, catch that world on fire, win 4 games! :sofunny:

Just kidding with ya, S&B.

I think we will be much improved over last season. We actually have a coaching staff from this century. :bouncy:

Do you really want to say that early again? I remember Raider fans saying this same thing last year.

silver & black
06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Ya, catch that world on fire, win 4 games! :sofunny:

Just kidding with ya, S&B.

Do you really want to say that early again? I remember Raider fans saying this same thing last year.

I know, but... but... we just CAN'T suck as bad as last year!

All I have is a fan's hope. I can't do anything except hope for the best. We shall see what unfolds come September. :cheers:

CantStop85
06-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I know, but... but... we just CAN'T suck as bad as last year!

All I have is a fan's hope. I can't do anything except hope for the best. We shall see what unfolds come September. :cheers:

C'mon, S&B, you sound like a Bengals fan from the 90's. :wink02:

silver & black
06-29-2007, 03:48 PM
C'mon, S&B, you sound like a Bengals fan from the 90's. :wink02:

I hear ya. It sucks to have to just sit and watch, knowing you can't do a damn thing about it.:banging:

MasterOfPuppets
06-29-2007, 04:05 PM
kep the faith S&B :toofunny:....keep the faith :toofunny:

silver & black
06-29-2007, 04:17 PM
kep the faith S&B :toofunny:....keep the faith :toofunny:

I will... I've been Silver and Black faithful for almost 40 years... I don't know anything else.:cheers:

MasterOfPuppets
06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
I will... I've been Silver and Black faithful for almost 40 years... I don't know anything else.:cheers:

i hear ya S&B....i know a few old school hardcore raider fans.....at least once a month we argue about the immaculate reception :sofunny:

silver & black
06-29-2007, 05:18 PM
i hear ya S&B....i know a few old school hardcore raider fans.....at least once a month we argue about the immaculate reception :sofunny:

I gave up arguing about that. I was 14 when that happened. I look at it as part of NFL lore... and the Raiders were part of it. No use crying over spilled milk.

Ok.... I just know LITP is going to chime in about the "fumble"... there is video proof that we were robbed on that one! :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
06-29-2007, 05:39 PM
you guys definetly took one up the wazoo on that one!:moon::checkit:

tony hipchest
06-29-2007, 06:09 PM
you guys definetly took one up the wazoo on that one!:moon::checkit:

lol. :sofunny:

now that is how smilies were intended to be used.