PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland
Sunday, June 24, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The story was bizarre, the reaction to it almost laughable. An Internet site reported last week that Bill Cowher has had secret talks with officials from the Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers and Cleveland Browns to explore a possible return to coaching in 2008. You would have thought the world was ending, to listen to the talk shows and saloon conversations around here. How dare he? The nerve of the man. The Browns?

Get over it, Pittsburgh.

Cowher owes you nothing. He owes the Steelers nothing. What? You thought he wasn't going to coach again? You're naive and foolish. Darn right he's going to coach again, sooner rather than later.

And why not Cleveland?

In a lot of ways, Cleveland is the perfect fit.

That isn't to say Cowher has talked to the Browns. It's hard to believe he or his agent has spoken to any of the teams. He's too big in the game to have to sneak around to find out what's going on. He should have too much respect for the coaches of those teams to do that. Maybe he hasn't been in the position of the Redskins' Joe Gibbs, 66, a Hall of Famer who probably will retire for good after the coming season. But he has been in the shoes of the Browns' Romeo Crennel and the Panthers' John Fox. He, too, was a coach under fire during the '98, '99 and '00 seasons when the Steelers failed to make the playoffs and he was fortunate the Rooneys picked him over player personnel man Tom Donahoe in their little power struggle. He wouldn't have appreciated another coach sniffing around for his job then, would he?

When the time comes, almost certainly after this season, Cowher won't need long to find the right team. He figures to go to the highest bidder, the owner that's willing to pay him $8 million per year or more. Why not? This is America, right?

Cowher still would be coaching the Steelers if the Rooneys had come up with the jack. Forget the party line that he wanted to spend more time with his family in North Carolina. He won a Super Bowl and was insulted the team didn't offer him more in a contract extension. That's his right. It's also the right of the Rooneys, who don't overpay for anyone.

Neither side owes the other anything. Cowher gave the Steelers 15 great years. The team compensated him well. If anything, Cowher did the Rooneys a favor by not insisting on coming back as a lame-duck coach this season in the final year of his contract, which would have been a bad situation for everyone. He chose to walk away from about $4 million and sit out the season, not just setting himself up to become an in-demand free agent in January, but enabling the Steelers to get on to the Mike Tomlin era.

And now you want to begrudge Cowher taking his next job?

Wasn't it just a few years ago that so many of us thought he couldn't win the big game and would have loved for him to leave?

Even for Cleveland?

Any number of NFL teams could take a run at Cowher. It wouldn't surprise anyone if Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fired Wade Phillips after just one season to make a pitch for him. Patience is running thin with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin. The same is true with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Jon Gruden.

But the Panthers, Redskins and Browns probably make the most sense.

At least the Browns make sense.

Carolina would be convenient for Cowher because of his new mansion in Raleigh, but Fox might not be going anywhere. His five seasons with the Panthers have gone like this: 7-9, Super Bowl, 7-9, NFC championship game, 8-8. Do you see a trend? Fox and the Panthers are on schedule to have a big year.

Washington probably could pay Cowher the most, but does he really want to work for Dan Snyder? Talk about a culture shock after working for the ultra-supportive, ultra-patient Rooneys. Snyder has had five coaches since buying the Redskins in '99, Marty Schottenheimer among them for the '01 season. Do you think Schottenheimer might have a word or two of advice for his good pal, Cowher, about the job? You know, like, run the other way.

Cleveland really might be the best fit for Cowher. He was a Brown long before he was a Steeler, playing for the Browns from '80-82 and coaching them from '85-88. Cleveland fans would love to see him as their coach. They aren't as fortunate as you to be living here. Certainly, they don't know what it's like to experience a championship team. It's not hard to imagine Cowher getting it done for them, doing with Brady Quinn there what he did with Ben Roethlisberger here.

Terrifying?

Get over it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07175/796764-87.stm

Edman
06-24-2007, 07:29 AM
The hell is he talking about? I'm not scared of Cowher going to Cleveland. Let him be a loser. It'll make beating Cleveland much more fun again.

The problem is the fact that Cowher wasted the Steelers '06 season as a lame duck, kept the team distracted with his continuous dodging of his retirement when we all knew he was retiring. Mr. Cook never ceases to amaze me.

Atlanta Dan
06-24-2007, 07:33 AM
If there is any doubt that baseball is dead in Pittsburgh, look no further than a P-G sports columnist writing 2 columns in late June about his votes for the all-time Steelers team and where the ex-head coach may next be hired.

The Pitttsburgh sports scene is like the Southeastern Conference, where the 2 major sports are football and spring practice.

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2007, 07:41 AM
While I do not think Cook was pointing out anybody in particular (lol), there are crazy fans out there who will hate the guy forever if he decides to coach the Cleveland Browns. If some of the local sports call-in shows are any indication, Cowher might want to get in contact with the witness protection agency. Apparently, a good number of 'fans' have nothing else better to worry about in life.

I personally don't care where Bill Cowher decides to coach. If he wants to coach in Cleveland more power to him. That's his choice and his right. "This is America, right?". I wouldn't look at it as a slap in the face nor would it change my opinion of Bill Cowher. He gave us 15 years and a Super Bowl ring and he was paid nicely for his services. I wish the guy the best unless he's playing against us.

LarryNJ
06-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Terrifying? ummm...NO!

I have no problem with fans hating him if he does end up in Cleveland. After all it is the Browns! Although I disagree with Cook, I think it will be ALL about money and where he thinks he has the best chance to win. Washington & Dallas will give him the most $$$ and what he precieves as the best chance to win another ring or 2. I'm guessing he'll end up with the Cowboys.

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Supposedly Cowher has made it perfectly clear that he wants complete control over the team (no surprise there), I don't see that happening/working in Washington or Dallas under either teams ownership. That's alot of ego. I can easily see him ending up in Cleveland or Carolina.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't care if Cowher coaches again (which he will) or not.......I thought it was time for a change....But I have thought this since the Steelers special teams melt down against the Pats in the AFC title game.....lol I think it would be funny to see him coach the Browns and blow AFC title games like he did with the Steelers....lol Let some team overy pay for him to fall short in conference title games.....He was a very good HC and had a nice career in Pittsburgh....He did a wonderful job for the Steelers....But I will never let down his not so impressive record in AFC title games which five were at the "Burgh".

When I think of Bill Cowher.....I think bitter sweet memories...The Super Bowl XL win very nice.....His 2-4 record in AFC titles not so nice.....lol

LarryNJ
06-24-2007, 08:50 AM
It is a big ego. $7 million a year with complete control...or $10+ million and an owner who will make it sound like he'll have it all. Dan Snyder & Jerry Jones are very good at getting what they want. If they both want Cowher, who looks to be the best option, they will be bidding against each other. There's no doubt Bill will become the highest paid coach ever. That will do more for the ego than control a football team.

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I hear ya Larry and it's definately possible, but I wouldn't put it past Bill Cowher to take complete control over more money. It's well known in these parts that Bill is a complete control freak. Just ask Donahue. If it comes down to getting paid a few more bucks from Dallas/DC over complete control of a Cleveland/Carolina team and still getting paid nicely, I think Bill would take the nice paycheck and the complete control. With some, ego and complete control is more important than more money. From what I have seen of Cowher, he's in that category.

Just my two cents. I guess we will find out in the next year.

duma
06-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I think Romeo has 2 years left. Assuming otherwise, I doubt he goes to the Browns. Cowher is no fool, he wants to win and win early. If he goes to an AFC North team, he has two big (or 3?) dogs to fight. I doubt he would want that with the 'must win now' mentality that he will come in with.

Carolina and Washington sound like good fits. However, I don't think Carolina will be looking for a coach next season. My take is Washington. Snider has the cash, and he wants to win now. The Redskins are in the easy to win it all NFC, and this fits Cowher.

All that being said, if it isn't Washington, it will be another NFC team.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Cowher won't go to Cleveland. If he's smart he'd go to the Panthers if he comes back. He'd still be close to his family.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I would be soooo pissed if Cowher coached the Clowns more because I live here and would have to hear about it from all these idiots.

But if Romeo's season starts out bad,I definatly seeing the fat turd getting the boot.However,I don't see Cowher getting complete control because Savage just had one helluva draft and you don't fire your GM because you want a certain coach.Maybe Cowher will get more input that RC did,but I don't see Randy Lerner letting the one guy,especially the head coach,having complete control after what happened with Butch Davis (I hate that son of a bitch,and I ain't even a Browns fan!).

I don't see Cowher going to the Redskins.He'd be driven nuts by Danny Boy wanting every single free agent on the market,and making stupid trades like Portis-for-Bailey.Also,Cowher prefers the 3-4 defensive scheme and the 'Skins use the 4-3...Cowher would have to transition that defense and I don't think he'd be to thrilled about that.

Dallas is a good fit.Jones won't relinquish his strangle-hold on the football desicions but I think he'd really listen to Cowher.Plus he has the cash to get Cowher the players he wants/needs.They run the 3-4 and already have good players in place to be a dominant defense in the NFC.

I don't see the Panthers needing a head coach.The Panthers will either be in the NFC Championship Game or the Super Bowl this year...so unless there is a big problem like what happened with Marty in San Diego,John Fox won't be fired.

One team that nobody has mentioned is the San Diego Chargers.Norv Turner is thier head coach after the badly-timed firing of Marty Schottenheimer.Turner has been a disaster as a head coach,and if somehow he takes this monster of a team from the best record in the NFL to a wild card spot (combined with a one-and-done playoff appearance) or somehow this team fails to make the playoffs...Turner is toast.

The Chargers already use the 3-4 defense which is what Cowher prefers.Not only do they use it,they are the best at it (IMHO).They have the best RB in football with LT.They have one of the better offensive lines in the NFL.They have a young QB in Phillip Rivers who gives Cowher a young and taleted QB.

If Cowher really wants more Super Bowl rings,and is offered the Chargers job after this season,he will take it.

stillers4me
06-24-2007, 10:47 AM
If I said it once, I've said it a hundred times. Does anybody really think Kaye Cowher will move to Cleveland??????????????????

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 10:50 AM
If I said it once, I've said it a hundred times. Does anybody really think Kaye Cowher will move to Cleveland??????????????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hamer
06-24-2007, 10:55 AM
One team that nobody has mentioned is the San Diego Chargers.Norv Turner is thier head coach after the badly-timed firing of Marty Schottenheimer.Turner has been a disaster as a head coach,and if somehow he takes this monster of a team from the best record in the NFL to a wild card spot (combined with a one-and-done playoff appearance) or somehow this team fails to make the playoffs...Turner is toast.

The Chargers already use the 3-4 defense which is what Cowher prefers.Not only do they use it,they are the best at it (IMHO).They have the best RB in football with LT.They have one of the better offensive lines in the NFL.They have a young QB in Phillip Rivers who gives Cowher a young and taleted QB.

If Cowher really wants more Super Bowl rings,and is offered the Chargers job after this season,he will take it.

Very good point- I never considered San Diego. Cowher after all is a Marty padawan, I could see him following in his footsteps.

Atlanta Dan
06-24-2007, 11:10 AM

What makes you think she has any plans of moving anywhere when he gets back into coaching?:smile:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
What makes you think she has any plans of moving anywhere when he gets back into coaching?:smile:

I surely see no reason.

NV STEELERS 723
06-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I still don't think BC coaches again..

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I still don't think BC coaches again..

I don't think he should coach again. Enjoy retirement spend time with family. That CBS job is still paying him a good deal.

j-dawg
06-24-2007, 12:36 PM

hey she lived in pittsburgh.. what's the big difference exactly? the weather? :dang:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 12:37 PM
hey she lived in pittsburgh.. what's the big difference exactly? the weather? :dang:

A lot more gray clouds are over Cleveland while the Browns are stinking up the place.

j-dawg
06-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Very good point- I never considered San Diego. Cowher after all is a Marty padawan, I could see him following in his footsteps.

the reason i don't see him going to san diego is EXACTLY because what they did to marty... dude was shafted, even though he had a winning season... that's b.s. in any head coaches mind.

j-dawg
06-24-2007, 12:40 PM
A lot more gray clouds are over Cleveland while the Browns are stinking up the place.

:yawn: kinda like right now in pittsburgh with the pirates?

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 12:40 PM
the reason i don't see him going to san diego is EXACTLY because what they did to marty... dude was shafted, even though he had a winning season... that's b.s. in any head coaches mind.

I also think it's B.S. Marty Got fired. When you go 14-2 and have had back to back playoff years that's a sign that things are starting to go right.

j-dawg
06-24-2007, 12:47 PM
I also think it's B.S. Marty Got fired. When you go 14-2 and have had back to back playoff years that's a sign that things are starting to go right.

right on man... i had this discussion before... it's a tough call to many, myself included... the "martyball" label. for instance, had he not run on the field (in the wild card game against the jets two seasons ago) and gotten a penalty... leading to a jets score... they might not of had to rely on their rookie kicker to win that game. OR had he not decided to go for it on 4th and something against the patriots and just kick the field goal last season the game might have resulted differently. personally, i say you keep him, the guy can win and hindsight is always 20/20 in these circumstances.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 12:48 PM
right on man... i had this discussion before... it's a tough call to many, myself included... the "martyball" label. for instance, had he not run on the field (in the wild card game against the jets two seasons ago) and gotten a penalty... leading to a jets score... they might not of had to rely on their rookie kicker to win that game. OR had he not decided to go for it on 4th and something against the patriots and just kick the field goal last season the game might have resulted differently. personally, i say you keep him, the guy can win and hindsight is always 20/20 in these circumstances.

Exactly, Marty just made one costly mistake that kept the Chargers from going on to the next round.

HometownGal
06-24-2007, 03:55 PM
The hell is he talking about? I'm not scared of Cowher going to Cleveland. Let him be a loser. It'll make beating Cleveland much more fun again.

The problem is the fact that Cowher wasted the Steelers '06 season as a lame duck, kept the team distracted with his continuous dodging of his retirement when we all knew he was retiring. Mr. Cook never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry, Ed, I must take exception to your statement above. I don't think the team, who was around him on a fairly regular basis, was all that surprised when he announced his "resignation" with the Steelers. As I've stated in many a thread, I don't believe for one minute that Cowher "sold us down the river" or "kept the team distracted" last season. We had enough players last year who didn't step up and do their jobs, some because of medical reasons, some because of their inflated heads coming off of a Super Bowl season and a few who were just too lazy to perform up to their capabilities.

If Cowher goes to Cleveland - - or any team for that matter, more power to him. During his 15 year tenure with the Steelers, he was one of the most successful active coaches and he's earned the right to ask for the big moola if someone is willing to give it to him. I don't see him going to Cleveland, but I do see him going to Carolina if John Fox doesn't do something with the Panthers this season - they have the talent to be the king of the NFC, imho. I can't fathom him even entertaining going to the Skins - he and Snot Nose Snyder would butt heads like two bulls in the same stall. Wherever he does go - whether it is next season or the following - I wish him the best of luck and will always appreciate and be greateful for the great seasons he gave the Steelers (and us as fans) as a HC.. :cheers:

stillers4me
06-24-2007, 04:46 PM

She moved out of Pittsburgh into a big fancy mansion in NC and left alone him in Pittsburgh for a year. The lady wants to live in NC.........not Pittsburgh and certainly not Cleveland.. He would most likely pick up something worse than an accent in Stainsville. :coffee:

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
bill to cleveland? beatrix kiddo is going to be pissed:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/41103.jpg

j-dawg
06-24-2007, 05:28 PM
She moved out of Pittsburgh into a big fancy mansion in NC and left alone him in Pittsburgh for a year. The lady wants to live in NC.........not Pittsburgh and certainly not Cleveland.. He would most likely pick up something worse than an accent in Stainsville. :coffee:

being from cleveland, and getting a lot of voice over work out here in los angeles, i take offense to this comment. just so you know, coming from cities such as detroit, chicago, buffalo, and cleveland gives you an excellent advantage in broadcasting because it's considered the standard.

also, if she moved away from pittsburgh why is the question being asked if she'll move to cleveland?

the fact of the matter is, as much as you'd like to say otherwise, cleveland isn't much different from pittsburgh... eeeeek!!! yeah i said it... both towns were built on the backs of hardworking folks.

deal with it. :cheers:

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 05:35 PM
being from cleveland, and getting a lot of voice over work out here in los angeles, i take offense to this comment. just so you know, coming from cities such as detroit, chicago, buffalo, and cleveland gives you an excellent advantage in broadcasting because it's considered the standard.

:damn, you even type with a strange accent :sofunny:

j-dawg
06-24-2007, 05:41 PM
damn, you even type with a strange accent :sofunny:

:sly: okay...

:flipoff:

smart ass... :blurp:

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 05:46 PM

smart ass... :blurp:lol. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 05:54 PM

smart ass... :blurp:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

j-dawg
06-24-2007, 06:11 PM
props to tony... seriously... you always crack my shit up!

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 06:13 PM
props to tony... seriously... you always crack my shit up!

He cracks everyone up in some form or another.

DJfan
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I could see him in SD. It's just like Spanos to hire a slug for one year just to wait for Billy. I can see Kay living in Fairbanks Ranch, and keeping her palace in NC. I don't see too much difference from him to Marty, but it makes a lot of sense.