PDA

View Full Version : The 2000's: Perhaps the worst decade for television in years.

Edman
06-24-2007, 11:04 AM
It may be just me, but for some reason there just isn't anything overly fantastic to watch on TV anymore. It just seems that all television stations just lost all originality. I'll admit, there are some decent shows out there. But is there anything out there that doesn't involve sex jokes, cursing, and someone not getting killed every episode?

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Except for one reality tv show which I've watched every season of(The Apprentice which is coming off the air unless another station picks it up). In addition to our game shows and other sports related shows, nope, afraid there really are no others.

Livinginthe past
06-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Dont you watch the Discovery Channel or documentaries?

Tony The Tiger says : Get some exercise, couch potato.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Nope, I don't watch those. I have a lot going on this summer anyway.

Crushzilla
06-24-2007, 12:08 PM
There are some awesome shows on discovery. Man V. Wild is insane and Mythbusters is always very interesting. you just have to look. TLC and History have good things going a lot of the time as well. I suppose its what you are into.

I actually usually end up on ESPN, ESPN2, or Fox Sports...

At school its the NFL Network

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I just wish I had the NFL Network.

Preacher
06-24-2007, 12:17 PM
It may be just me, but for some reason there just isn't anything overly fantastic to watch on TV anymore. It just seems that all television stations just lost all originality. I'll admit, there are some decent shows out there. But is there anything out there that doesn't involve sex jokes, cursing, and someone not getting killed every episode?

Your right... I think in general, it is a devolution of culture. the crasser... the funnier.

What a shame.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Your right... I think in general, it is a devolution of culture. the crasser... the funnier.

What a shame.

Welcome to today's reality.

Edman
06-24-2007, 12:42 PM
There are some awesome shows on discovery. Man V. Wild is insane and Mythbusters is always very interesting. you just have to look. TLC and History have good things going a lot of the time as well. I suppose its what you are into.

Yes, those channels are neat. Especially Discovery Health. The stuff you see on there...wow. I like Survivorman, the Science channel, and when I get the chance I catch some old episodes of the Twilight Zone on Sci-fi. I'm not too old for cartoons just yet, so I watch some CN and Boomerang.

I don't watch ESPN much anymore. Too much glitz.

I just don't like the primetime shows, sitcoms, and 'reality' garbage they put out here nowadays.

Mosca
06-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Uh, name a GOOD decade for television. Each one has had some good shows, sure; but the dreck has far outweighed the quality. For every M*A*S*H you had Three's Company, The A Team, The Partridge Family, etc.

TV has NEVER been very good. The best thing you can say about now is that it offers more choices than ever before. The worst thing you can say is that the choices are World Poker Tour, Girls Behaving Badly, Flip This House, and the millionth rerun of Look Who's Talking.

Tom

steelpinstripe72
06-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Uh, name a GOOD decade for television. Each one has had some good shows, sure; but the dreck has far outweighed the quality.

I second this. This decade has not been worse than any other decade in terms of television. In terms of my own tastes, I'm one of those weird people. I hate American sitcoms - the newer ones, anyway (Friends was funny, for, like a season. It got old really, really fast). Love older ones. Speaking of which, dear TV Land: give me back my Night Court reruns. And while we're at it, the Star Trek reruns at a normal time, kthnxbye.

I love Britcoms, though (Monty Python and Fawlty Towers for the win). Other than Britcoms, I'm inclined to watch sports shows, and sci-fi. I need my ESPN and NFL Network, and my reruns of Star Trek and its spinoffs. The reruns of TNG, DS9, and Voyager, are the only reasons why I watch Spike TV.

Currently running shows I'm into are LOST, Battlestar Galactica, and Friday Night Lights. That's about it, though.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I second this. This decade has not been worse than any other decade in terms of television. In terms of my own tastes, I'm one of those weird people. I hate American sitcoms - the newer ones, anyway (Friends was funny, for, like a season. It got old really, really fast). Love older ones. Speaking of which, dear TV Land: give me back my Night Court reruns. And while we're at it, the Star Trek reruns at a normal time, kthnxbye.

I love Britcoms, though (Monty Python and Fawlty Towers for the win). Other than Britcoms, I'm inclined to watch sports shows, and sci-fi. I need my ESPN and NFL Network, and my reruns of Star Trek and its spinoffs. The reruns of TNG, DS9, and Voyager, are the only reasons why I watch Spike TV.

Currently running shows I'm into are LOST, Battlestar Galactica, and Friday Night Lights. That's about it, though.

Almost all shows I watch now are on ESPN and FSN.

Godfather
06-24-2007, 04:02 PM

What a shame.

The sad thing is how unnecessary it is.

South Park is a good example--they've done some brilliant social commentary, but they louse up the show with bathroom humor.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 04:37 PM
The sad thing is how unnecessary it is.

South Park is a good example--they've done some brilliant social commentary, but they louse up the show with bathroom humor.

It definantly is the perfect example though of how our society has gone.(Mostly)

revefsreleets
06-24-2007, 07:37 PM
There are still some really good shows on, and stuff that would have never been greenlighted when there were only 3 networks since the medium is so fragmented now. Some really good shows that I watch:

Mythbusters
Survivorman
Man vs. Wild
Dirty Jobs
The Office
Dinner For Five
X Play

Some great series that I've watched lately:

Rome
The Tudors
Planet Earth

IFC and Sundance show some great independent films that don't make theaters.

MACH1
06-24-2007, 08:03 PM

Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch aren't to bad either.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Military Channel.
History Channel (also international history channel).
Discovery Channel (also DTMS).
Science Channel.
HBO (mini-series even though they are now lacking IMO and documentaries).
ESPN Classic, ESPN and ESPN2 for scores and updates.
NFL network.
Family Guy.
Steelers 24/7 on Comcast OnDemand.
Sports Beats on FSN Pittsburgh.
Nightly Sports Call on KDKA
Sound off on KDKA

Besides those channels/shows, I hate tv. I hate the reality tv craze even more.

tony hipchest
06-25-2007, 12:45 AM
if i had to recommend something to someone who didnt have access to sattelite or cable i would definitely say:

House

Boston Legal

the Simpsons (even though their better years are behind them, no cartoon can bump them and they are still better than most sitcoms)

"According to Jim" is pretty funny for the die hard sportsfan/familyman

MACH1
06-25-2007, 01:33 AM
if i had to recommend something to someone who didnt have access to sattelite or cable i would definitely say:

House

Boston Legal

the Simpsons (even though their better years are behind them, no cartoon can bump them and they are still better than most sitcoms)

"According to Jim" is pretty funny for the die hard sportsfan/familyman

Except he's a bears fan. :wink02:

X-Terminator
06-25-2007, 08:52 AM
There hasn't been a good sitcom on network TV since Cheers aired it's last show. And I really wish the reality show craze would die a slow, painful, agonizing death. Thanks MTV! :banging:

I mainly watch the Discovery networks (all of them), National Geographic channel, BBC America (sometimes), FSN, NFL Network, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, FOX for Family Guy and Comedy Central for South Park, and that's about it.

memphissteelergirl
06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
I love Britcoms

Yes! So do I! I love Monty Python too, as well as "As Time Goes By" (I am a HUGE Judi Dench fan) and "Are You Being Served." I have many on recorded on tape.

And I agree with most here, network TV has really gone downhill over the past few years. I find myself watching more and more PBS lately.
The running theory is that it is really all about the bottom line...it costs less to produce crap (see reality shows). And since I do not have cable (and when I finally do it will just be basic), it does not leave much selection. Thank heaven for Blockbuster Access!

The shows I do watch on network TV include:
"Grey's Anatomy"
"ER"
"Without a Trace"
"Cold Case"
"Law and Order: SVU"
"Criminal Minds"

X-Terminator
06-25-2007, 01:46 PM
"Are You Being Served."

Sweet - another Are You Being Served fan! That was my first real exposure to Britcoms other than Python - I watched it religiously every Saturday night on PBS. Unfortunately the person who played Mr. Humphries - John Inman - passed away earlier this year. :frown: If you ever get digital cable or satellite someday and have access to BBC America, check out Father Jack - it's great!

memphissteelergirl
06-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Sweet - another Are You Being Served fan! That was my first real exposure to Britcoms other than Python - I watched it religiously every Saturday night on PBS. Unfortunately the person who played Mr. Humphries - John Inman - passed away earlier this year. :frown: If you ever get digital cable or satellite someday and have access to BBC America, check out Father Jack - it's great!

Yes...it was very sad news about John Inman. He came to Memphis a few years ago for a fundraiser for the local PBS station here....really regret I didn't get a chance to go...I would have loved to have met him.

Another couple of Britcoms I love: "Good Neighbors" and "Keeping Up Appearances"

lilyoder6
06-25-2007, 04:04 PM
idk about u guys but i can find a lot of tv shows that can keep my attention whether they are an hr long or just 30 mins long. i guess i could name them all but i'm not going to b/c i don't think ppl want me too.. but a couple shows like CSI is awesome... and other-related shows. couple 30-min shows could be "how's it made" u might laugh but u learn a lot by watching that show.. ummm future weapons.. and one of my newly fav shows scarred...

Godfather
06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Not sure whether TV is worse now than it used to be. I think the declining moral standards allow writers with less imagination to survive--they can just be filthy instead of creative. And reality TV flat-out blows.

On the other hand, most of the shows from the 80s look lame when you watch them now. Cosby's still funny but stuff like Growing Pains and Family Ties just doesn't seem that good now.