PDA

View Full Version : Football Mags :Holmes to have a great season

SteelersJW
06-24-2007, 11:45 AM
A lot of annual football magazines such as "Street & Smiths" and Pro football weekly predict Holmes will have an awesome season this year. Hopefully they're right. We could use a better performance from a # 2 reciever.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 11:51 AM
i think Holmes will have a good season. He's due to have a coming out party sooner or later. I think this season is it.

The Duke
06-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Holmes is going to be an explosive receiver, we saw some of that at the end of the season, just imagine him playing like that all year long... and without fumbles :smile:

19ward86
06-24-2007, 12:05 PM
i think ward might want to watch out because holmes is faster and can be a game changer;ward is a run-blocking, with great hands, descent height, and descent speed. ward is my favorite player but his age will start playing effect in the next season or two and he might be the 2nd guy in 2008-2009. i hope not but holmes is going to be the steelers version of torry holt.

The Duke
06-24-2007, 12:12 PM
i think ward might want to watch out because holmes is faster and can be a game changer;ward is a run-blocking, with great hands, descent height, and descent speed. ward is my favorite player but his age will start playing effect in the next season or two and he might be the 2nd guy in 2008-2009. i hope not but holmes is going to be the steelers version of torry holt.

Yeah, I was also thinking Holmes will replace Hines as the # 1 receiver even before he retires, but well, if he becomes better it would be better for the team and I know Hines will be fine with it.

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Holmes is going to be an explosive receiver, we saw some of that at the end of the season, just imagine him playing like that all year long... and without fumbles :smile:

I can see it now. Less of those fumbles resulting in more big gains and 6s.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Ok, forone Holmes didn't fumble much as a WR.....Most of his fumbles happend when he was punt returning....Just keep him away from returns and let him focus on being an impact WR.....He had the 7th most rec. yards for rookie this decade.....Plus he didn't start most of the year.....I wouldn't be shocked if Holmes has around 1100 yards with 7-8 TDs this year....Especially if Ben bounces back strong.........

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 01:17 PM
ive put this before but its aways nice to compare:

s. holmes rookie year: 16games 4starts 49rec. 824yds. 16.8ave 2td

torry holts rookie year: 16games 15starts 52rec. 788yds 15.2ave 6td

i make the comparison cause they are so similar in size, stature and being the top wr prospect in their draft class. holmes wants to double all his production from last season. coincidentally holt put up 1600 yds his sophmore season which is the 2nd best year of his career.

stillers4me
06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Well now...........they all seem to be badmouthing our quarterback, insinuating that is better days are over, one year wonder, only a game manager, blah, blah, blah. If Holmes is expected to have a breakout year, isn't it safe to assume that the guy throwing him the ball is going to be pretty hot as well???????

I'm predicting the Ben/Santonio connection to be smokin' hot this year!!!!!!!!!!

I got the feeling that the Ben to Santonio play on New Year's Eve in Cinci in OT was just a teaser to what they had been working on during Santonio's rookie year. Add Hines Ward and a few red zone connections with Dallas Baker the Touchdown Maker to the mix and we got us a playoff run!

Now.........it all hinges on Ben remembering that his team wears black at home and white on the road. The whole throwback jersey deal has me worried..................:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Well now...........they all seem to be badmouthing our quarterback, insinuating that is better days are over. one year wonder, blah, blah, blah. If Holmes is expecting to have a breakout year, isn't itsafe to assume that the guy throwing him the ball is going to be pretty hot as well???????

I'm predicting the Ben/Santonio connection to be smokin' hot this year!!!!!!!!!!

I got the feeling that the Ben to Santonio play on New Year's Eve in Cinci in OT was just a teaser to what they had been working on during Santonio's rookie year. Add Hines Ward and a few red zone connections with Dallas Baker the Touchdown Maker to the mix and we got us a playoff run!

Now.........it all hinges on Ben remembering that his team wears black at home and white on the road. The whole throwback jersey deal has me worried..................:toofunny:

If they think Santonio is going to have a break out year but not Ben is going to happen, I don't know what they've been smoking.

Oh and I make post

8000 in this thread

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh and I make post

8000 in this thread

:coffee: :cheer: :coffee: :cheer: :coffee:

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Holmes is going to have a breakthrough season really bringing the recieving core except for ward some actuall respect and doing his job to help bring the team to victory:)

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 01:30 PM

:sofunny:

stillers4me
06-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Not all of us are cut out to be "living legends". :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Not all of us are cut out to be "living legends". :sofunny:

Yep, and there are some still in the making.

HometownGal
06-24-2007, 04:17 PM

Righto. :thumbsup: Holmes is also the deep threat with his speed and cutting ability and it is a foregone conclusion that Hines is not a deep guy. Both Hines and Santo are unique to the Steelers in their own ways and I agree wholeheartedly that this season is going to be Santo's breakout season, which will benefit Ben as well. :tt02:

HometownGal
06-24-2007, 04:19 PM

Tony - you're slippin' there hon. Don't forget the....

YAY! (lol)....:smile:

:wink02::wink02: :chicken:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Righto. :thumbsup: Holmes is also the deep threat with his speed and cutting ability and it is a foregone conclusion that Hines is not a deep guy. Both Hines and Santo are unique to the Steelers in their own ways and I agree wholeheartedly that this season is going to be Santo's breakout season, which will benefit Ben as well. :tt02:

Yep, Ben still has no where to go but up.

HometownGal
06-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Yep, Ben still has no where to go but up.

Yep. :thumbsup: Cheerio, pip-pip and all that other stuff. (Oops - sorry LITP, got carried away). :wink02::wink02:

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Yep. :thumbsup: Cheerio, pip-pip and all that other stuff. (Oops - sorry LITP, got carried away). :wink02::wink02:

Are you trying to mock our friend from England? :sofunny:

Steelers
06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I really bought into Holmes when we drafted him and I'm pretty happy thus far. Just keep him away from punt returns, and we could have ourselves another stellar WR. The last play of last season has me even more hyped.

vasteeler
06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
i think it all depends on the o-line if ben only has 2-3 seconds to pass we could be in big trouble and neither ben or santonio will have a good year but if the line can learn to block again than watch out

SteelerFanInCA
06-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I'm looking for Holmes to have a great year as well. This guy is only going to get better with time.

Hopefully he builds momentum from that last game against cincy last year.

onthebus36
06-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Speaking of the return game, any word on Willie Reid? What's up with that foot?

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Speaking of the return game, any word on Willie Reid? What's up with that foot?

I think he's still injured. If it keeps up, I say it's best we place him either A.)Injured Reserve or B.) Let him go.

polamalu3000
06-25-2007, 01:18 PM
of course santonio is gonna have a break out year he is from ohio state and ben roethlisberger is a good qb

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
of course santonio is gonna have a break out year he is from ohio state and ben roethlisberger is a good qb

Just because he's from Ohio State doesn't mean he's going to have a break out year

But yeah, Big Ben at QB is a good reason.

paw-n-maul-u
06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I think holmes would put up big numbers on most any team. He runs excellent routes, and besides a few punt return muffs, he has EXCELLENT hands.

I don't think he ever had a fumble at OSU in the two years he played, and I know he didn't have any last year as a WR, Fielding punts just might not be his thing. .Not to mentiono, do you want your starting split end fielding punts/risking injury anyways? Not I.

He averaged 14 and 18 YPC his junior and senior year (respectively). He is going to add a gamebreaking deep threat that we haven't seen in awhile. All the comparisons are there to Tory Holt, and if he comes even close to producing like Holt than we are set at WR for a long time. I am really excited about his potenial and can't wait to see him break the long ones this year.

we deyyy x86
06-25-2007, 03:11 PM
i think holmes has great potential. toward the end of last year he reallystarted to show his talent, and i think wit hthe more experience he gets, the better a player he will become. he could be a big help to the offense this season.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
i think holmes has great potential. toward the end of last year he reallystarted to show his talent, and i think wit hthe more experience he gets, the better a player he will become. he could be a big help to the offense this season.

For Example ummmm coughcoughovertimetouchdowncoughcough.

onthebus36
06-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Since we are talking about Santonio, here's a nice walk down memory lane. OT in Cincy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUObYW-x0Ro

Preacher
06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Okay...

Here is what I REALLY like about Holmes...

He learns.

No, I am not being a smart alec. He doesn't make the same mistakes over and over (fumbles on kickoffs not withstanding...)

The beginning of last year, he kept screwing up routes. Heck, I will GAURANTEE that at least 5 of Ben's interceptions last year were actually bad routes by Santo... (BTW, when you throw in the 5 or 6 balls that actually bounced off our receivers hands as well, that reduces Ben's interceptions by 10... still not great, but not the drastic turn of events that some are bellowing). However, Santo learned to run the right routes, and became more and more effective doing it.

At the beginning of last year, I wasn't impressed with Santo's blocking downfield. Towards the end, I actually saw him line people up and drill them.

At this point last year, Santo already had what... two arrests? So far this year? Nothing... he has kept his mouth shut as well. All we seem to hear from him is from others saying yep, he was in camp. Yep, him and Ben and others are working together.

So yeah, he was REALLY on the fence with me last year... however now? Gotta say, I really am liking him. It is amazing what a year of maturity and mentoring by Hines will do !

paw-n-maul-u
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Okay...

Here is what I REALLY like about Holmes...

He learns.

No, I am not being a smart alec. He doesn't make the same mistakes over and over (fumbles on kickoffs not withstanding...)

The beginning of last year, he kept screwing up routes. Heck, I will GAURANTEE that at least 5 of Ben's interceptions last year were actually bad routes by Santo... (BTW, when you throw in the 5 or 6 balls that actually bounced off our receivers hands as well, that reduces Ben's interceptions by 10... still not great, but not the drastic turn of events that some are bellowing). However, Santo learned to run the right routes, and became more and more effective doing it.

At the beginning of last year, I wasn't impressed with Santo's blocking downfield. Towards the end, I actually saw him line people up and drill them.

At this point last year, Santo already had what... two arrests? So far this year? Nothing... he has kept his mouth shut as well. All we seem to hear from him is from others saying yep, he was in camp. Yep, him and Ben and others are working together.

So yeah, he was REALLY on the fence with me last year... however now? Gotta say, I really am liking him. It is amazing what a year of maturity and mentoring by Hines will do !

you will GUARANTEE 5? more like maybe 1 or 2. Holmes was always known for running excellent routes and having glue-like hands. Some of Ben's INT's last year made me sick. I'm sure there were a handful that went from bad to worse (something like a tipped pass being intercepted or a receiver running a wrong route and ben throwing some one a gift. But those INT's vs. the raiders ... both the pick 6's ... yeah right, ben's INT's last year were Ben's fault. I think if ben had a normal offseason we would have seen a lot more progression out of holmes, although im more than satisfied with how he is right now. I'm expecting big things this year outta both he and Ben