PDA

View Full Version : Faneca/Run Game?

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 08:31 PM
obviously after this season Faneca the greatest guard will be gone do u think without him our run game wil change or be diff. or will we just keep smashing with #39!?:tt02:

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 09:21 PM
you never get better losing a player like faneca. that doesnt mean you have to get worse though. you would think you would never get better losing a player like webster or dawson either. i think the steelers and willie will just keep on keeping on.

steelpride12
06-24-2007, 09:23 PM
you never get better losing a player like faneca. that doesnt mean you have to get worse though. you would think you would never get better losing a player like webster or dawson either. i think the steelers and willie will just keep on keeping on.

ya your right they will just move on and run the same smash mouth way!:tt02:

The Duke
06-24-2007, 09:25 PM
It will be different, but I trust that the Rooney's will find someone capable of filling that void, hopefully it can even be the guard we got in the draft this year, but a veteran that doesn't demand high paying salaries like Faneca would help too.

tony hipchest
06-24-2007, 09:45 PM
It will be different, but I trust that the Rooney's will find someone capable of filling that void, hopefully it can even be the guard we got in the draft this year, but a veteran that doesn't demand high paying salaries like Faneca would help too.like mayhan?

SteelCityMan786
06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
It will be different, but I trust that the Rooney's will find someone capable of filling that void, hopefully it can even be the guard we got in the draft this year, but a veteran that doesn't demand high paying salaries like Faneca would help too.

Likewise here. The Rooney's don't just go out and sign guys they know will just be dead weight as soon as they show up.

Creeping Death
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't even want to think what this team would look like with out Faneca. That would almost certainly mean that we would have to keep Simmons and Simmons is about as garbage as they come. IMO Kemoeatu has the tools to be a successful G for us and could step in at LG or RG and get the job done, but any scenario that has Simmons playing RG is a doomed one.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't even want to think what this team would look like with out Faneca. That would almost certainly mean that we would have to keep Simmons and Simmons is about as garbage as they come. IMO Kemoeatu has the tools to be a successful G for us and could step in at LG or RG and get the job done, but any scenario that has Simmons playing RG is a doomed one.

Not if Mahan is played at guard instead of Center.

SteelerWatch
06-25-2007, 09:49 PM
First off, I'm back (don't everyone groan at once).

The run game will be fine. The problem (problem?) over the last several years is that Cowher hated changing things up, even when guys like Starks and Simmons had a bead year in 2006 (even Smith and Faneca stumbled a bit, and Hartings was never his old self). So what we got was same-old, same-old, and never saw what our young guys are capable of. We have some guys waiting in the wings who are downright awesome, with Chris Kemoeatu, Trai Essex and Willie Colon. We also added some gifted new guys.

Losing Alan will hurt, but I think only in the short term. This is a team that has a long history of awesome O-linemen, so I trust the guys in the front office to know what they are doing.

Expect to see Alan sitting on his butt at some point this year if he isn't giving it 100 percent. That's just the way Tomlin is, and he has no reason to play favorites with anyone -- especially not Faneca, who has made it clear he doesn't want to be here anymore, anyway.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Amen to that SteelerWatch.

HOWEVER! I don't think Faneca was starting because of favoritism. It might have been because Cowher didn't figure when was the right time to sit him down and start someone else.

SteelerWatch
06-26-2007, 05:42 AM
I'm not saying it was Alan who should have been sat down -- he was the only o-lineman who played up to part in every single game last year. I'm just saying we haven't seen a good display of what ELSE we have.

steelpride12
06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm not saying it was Alan who should have been sat down -- he was the only o-lineman who played up to part in every single game last year. I'm just saying we haven't seen a good display of what ELSE we have.

ya i trust and have no worry rooney will replace him with no problem!

HometownGal
06-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I"m sick to death of reading about Faneca (not a smack at you, steelpride). Yes - he is the best G in the NFL right now, but someone will come along in the future (either a Steeler or a non-Steeler) and take away the crown. I'm a firm believer that one player does not make or break a team. Winning football games takes a total TEAM effort.

The Duke
06-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I"m sick to death of reading about Faneca (not a smack at you, steelpride). Yes - he is the best G in the NFL right now, but someone will come along in the future (either a Steeler or a non-Steeler) and take away the crown. I'm a firm believer that one player does not make or break a team. Winning football games takes a total TEAM effort.

Totally agree, let's just forget about the guy after this season while a losing team pays him big bucks, and we will still be winning games and super bowls:thumbsup:

Elvis
07-01-2007, 07:10 AM
ya your right they will just move on and run the same smash mouth way!:tt02:
I just hope that your right.. I just love a smash mouth attack and I hope that with Tomlin .. the tradition continues on and I think that it will.
:coffee:

steelpride12
07-01-2007, 11:01 AM

im back!!! dont groan to loud!-but yes we just need to forget bout him and have trust that his replacement will do the job he did for us!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
You can't just replace a guy like Faneca after he leaves the guy is a great player and a great leader in the lockerroom but we have a lot of young and talented linemen who are waiting to step up be contributers to this team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Totally agree, let's just forget about the guy after this season while a losing team pays him big bucks, and we will still be winning games and super bowls:thumbsup:

I would love to trade him and Wilson to Arizona for Deuce Lutui & Bryant Johnson!!!

steelpride12
07-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I would love to trade him and Wilson to Arizona for Deuce Lutui & Bryant Johnson!!!

dam right!

The Duke
07-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Think the Cards would go for it? It would be nice to have another great receiver so we don't have to worry much when Hines retires.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Think the Cards would go for it? It would be nice to have another great receiver so we don't have to worry much when Hines retires.
I think Whiz and Grimm would love to have their former All-Pro guard, and its obvios that they are bringing in former Steelers.Ex. Sean Morey

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-07-2007, 12:50 PM

LOL...I think Whiz would rather GIVE Bryant Johnson to the Ravens ...then trade with us.
But the trade does make alot of business sence and would be mutually benificial for both teams....Right now I am looking at Jared Gaither and Chris Patrick in the supplemental draft..(Gaither is more talented than Starks and may eventually play LT at the next level...and Patrick projects as an OG in the pros)...and I wonder if the FO may pull the trigger on either of them.

tony hipchest
07-07-2007, 01:04 PM
LOL...I think Whiz would rather GIVE Bryant Johnson to the Ravens ...then trade with us.
But the trade does make alot of business sence and would be mutually benificial for both teams....Right now I am looking at Jared Gaither and Chris Patrick in the supplemental draft..(Gaither is more talented than Starks and may eventually play LT at the next level...and Patrick projects as an OG in the pros)...and I wonder if the FO may pull the trigger on either of them.that deal does seem to make a hell of alot of sense. arizona might wanna worry about seattle outbidding for faneca in 08.

where do you think gaither woulda gone in the recent draft? and compare/contrast his skill sets and potential to capizzi.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-08-2007, 06:49 AM
that deal does seem to make a hell of alot of sense. arizona might wanna worry about seattle outbidding for faneca in 08.

where do you think gaither woulda gone in the recent draft? and compare/contrast his skill sets and potential to capizzi.

Gaither would have been a second or third rounder ...graded ahead of Martin and Free....he will have a "learning curve" but has the talent and strength to be a STARTING left tackle in the near future. (described as "nimble")....could probably immediately push for a starting right tackle spot on some teams. Correctable waist bender..

Patrick would have been a 3rd or 4th rounder and will play guard in the pros, very strong (31 lifts at 225 lbs)

WWIIOwheelz
07-09-2007, 01:45 AM
I have confidence Willy is fast enough to find the hole wherever it is, but I don't see the right side being anywhere near as friendly to our running game without Faneca. He's one helluva blocking lineman, and there can be no doubting that.

I'm honestly bummed he wasn't more open to change, but from his perspective, every game he spends in Pittsburgh is costing him a lot of money he can and will demand on the open market. If there's one thing I wish the front office of the Steelers could do better, it would have to be GETTING something for the top-quality talent that leaves the team for greener pastures.

Oh well.... all will be fine. Can't wait for the pre-season!

Preacher
07-09-2007, 02:12 AM
I just hope that your right.. I just love a smash mouth attack and I hope that with Tomlin .. the tradition continues on and I think that it will.
:coffee:

Actually, we have quietly gone away from smash mouth football over the last couple of years.

Willie isn't a smash mouth runner... he is a speedster. So I want to see a little more finesse and deception.

But I think I know what your saying... I want to see the meanness continue!!