PDA

View Full Version : Tank Johnson Waived

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Bears decide to move on, waive Tank Johnson
ESPN.com news services
Updated: June 25, 2007, 3:27 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The Bears waived troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson on Monday after he was pulled over for speeding in Arizona last Friday.

He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't and we have decided to move on.
GM Jerry Angelo

Johnson already is suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFl sason after violating probation on a gun violation.

"We are upset and embarrassed by Tank's actions last week," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said.

"He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't and we have decided to move on."

Police in the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert said Johnson was stopped for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone at 3:30 a.m. Friday and the officer made observations that led him to believe Johnson was impaired.

Sgt. Andrew Duncan, a police spokesman, said Johnson was arrested for "DUI Impaired to the Slightest Degree" but was released without being booked or charged.

Duncan said Johnson was taken to the Gilbert police station, where officials drew blood for a blood-alcohol content test before his release. He described Johnson as "very cooperative."

The officer had probable cause to make an arrest, Duncan said. Test results aren't expected for up to two weeks, and they would be sent to Gilbert town prosecutors for consideration of any charges.

Earlier this month, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Johnson for half the regular season for violating the league's toughened personal conduct policy.

At the time Johnson, who recently spent two months in the Cook County jail for violating probation, called his suspension an "opportunity for me to move forward."

Goodell said the suspension could be reduced to six games if Johnson has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound defensive tackle's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

That charge stemmed from Johnson's 2005 arrest after a Chicago nightclub valet reported seeing Johnson with a handgun in his SUV. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

Two days after last December's raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. Last month, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge stemming from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail. He was ordered to serve 45 days, which he served concurrently with the sentence for violating his probation.

"A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank; players, coaches and our front office," coach Lovie Smith said. "We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal"

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2916083

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I can't blame the Bears. He's just pushing it. At least one of the teams that have lawbreakers can figure out how to deal with them.

tony hipchest
06-25-2007, 03:42 PM
i wonder if the bengals gotta wait for him to serve his suspension or if they can just claim him off of waivers right now?

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 03:43 PM
They can claim him right now :sofunny:

lilyoder6
06-25-2007, 03:58 PM
he's a good player.. and i thought he said that he was going to straighten up his act?? i don't thinking speeding is a step to become a better person

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
he's a good player.. and i thought he said that he was going to straighten up his act?? i don't thinking speeding is a step to become a better person

Only closer towards more crimes on a criminal record.

The Duke
06-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Well good luck to him, hope he learns how to stay out of trouble, but at this point I don't think he will.

Atlanta Dan
06-25-2007, 04:25 PM
So the Bears could live with him having an arsenal and all the other charges, but driving 40 in a 25 zone and getting pulled over by the type of rule crazy cop many of us probably have encountered over the years was the last straw?

Not saying Johnson should not have been cut some time ago, but pulling the plug for this is horses**t..

Crushzilla
06-25-2007, 04:26 PM
i don't thinking speeding is a step to become a better person

Nor is it a step to becoming a worse person. Come on. The problem isn't the speeding. People speed all the time. It doesn't mean you are a criminal.

The problem was that he was intoxicated. Hell, a normal person wouldn't even call it intoxicated, but his blood alcohol was just a smidge over the limit and them's the rules.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Nor is it a step to becoming a worse person. Come on. The problem isn't the speeding. People speed all the time. It doesn't mean you are a criminal.

The problem was that he was intoxicated. Hell, a normal person wouldn't even call it intoxicated, but his blood alcohol was just a smidge over the limit and them's the rules.

break them rules, you pay for it. :sofunny:

CantStop85
06-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I think this guy's worthy of a second chance. I really hope the Bengals pick him up, we need another big lazy criminal on the defensive line. Maybe we can get Pac Man Jones too after he serves his suspension, assuming he doesn't die in a gang shoot-out before then.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
I think this guy's worthy of a second chance. I really hope the Bengals pick him up, we need another big lazy criminal on the defensive line. Maybe we can get Pac Man Jones too after he serves his suspension, assuming he doesn't die in a gang shoot-out before then.

:)

Who says Pac won't be banned first. :toofunny:

CantStop85
06-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Who says Pac won't be banned first. :toofunny:

Nah, he will either kill someone and end up in prison or be killed by someone first.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Nah, he will either kill someone and end up in prison or be killed by someone first.

Either way, you guys won't have Pacman.

CantStop85
06-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Either way, you guys won't have Pacman.

Man, what a disappointment.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Man, what a disappointment.

That hasn't been proven though CS.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice to see an NFL team put their foot down and take a stand. Unlike a certain other team, it's obvious the Bears did not feel like waiting for this guy's third, fourth and fifth arrests in order to make a move or not make a move at all. A good number of NFL organizations actually care about their overall persona. IMO, it's a relief to see.

Hats off to the Chicago Bears organization. Old school and classy.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Nice to see an NFL team put their foot down and take a stand. Unlike a certain other team, it's obvious the Bears did not feel like waiting for this guy's third, fourth and fifth arrests in order to make a move or not make a move at all. IMO, it's a relief to see.

Hats off to the Chicago Bears organization. Old school and classy.

I totally agree man. It's about time someone acted.

silver & black
06-25-2007, 06:08 PM

Pacman will never play another down in the NFL. I don't have anything to back that up... just a gut feeling.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Pacman will never play another down in the NFL. I don't have anything to back that up... just a gut feeling.

Gut Feelings are always good to have(no matter how they go.):sofunny:

silver & black
06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Gut Feelings are always good to have(no matter how they go.):sofunny:

Yup. :thumbsup:

rbryan
06-25-2007, 06:23 PM
This guy was over rated to begin with. In 46 career games he has 51 tackles. The only reason anyone ever heard of him is because of his off field troubles.

Just another turd getting flushed. I doubt anyone in Chicago will lose any sleep over it.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2007, 06:29 PM
This guy was over rated to begin with. In 46 career games he has 51 tackles. The only reason anyone ever heard of him is because of his off field troubles.

Just another turd getting flushed. I doubt anyone in Chicago will lose any sleep over it.

Just from how the owner was speaking, it's probably the case.

verks36
06-26-2007, 02:39 AM
its about time

I am tired of all these players thinking they are above the law and wont suffer any consquences

ChronoCross
06-26-2007, 04:44 AM
We will see more come and go as they mess up. They have every ability to make good money and retire rich and happy with family. But some do not grow up and act like children who need punishment to try and get them on the right path. Welp some you just cannot take the child and bad habits out of.. If you know your walking a fine line, you do not go out and drive a car after drinking.

kmsteelerwr15
06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
all i can say is....FINALLY!!!!!

CantStop85
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I would assume the NFLPA will be filing grievances soon...

rbryan
06-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I want to file a grievance against all the douchebag athletes who file a grievance when they don't thier way.