PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: NFL Europa on life-support?

SteelersMongol
06-27-2007, 02:22 AM
P.S. you can choose 2 answers on poll.

================================================== =================

Three days after the Hamburg Sea Hags (Sea Devils) won the NFL Europa championship, uncertainty remains regarding the fate of the NFL's protracted overseas experiment. Talk persists that the NFL will be pulling the plug on the venture.

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/8292

================================================== =================

OK, this is one of the topics that I was itching to talk about. The news itself is pretty short, but you guys can read the blogs following the news.

As for the news, for me, I not only want NFL Europe to stay, I want it to expand and merge it with the NFL. They can totally play during the regular season. It'll get more interesting and competitive. Besides we've got so many young American athletes that are competing in so small market, I think. I don't remember where I read it, but someone was saying they can add at least 1 conference in the NFL including Canadian, Mexican, and European teams. I thought it was very reasonable.

And not just that, I also want more. I want NFL Asia. :bouncy: Indian, Chinese, Japanes, Korean, and what the heck even possibly Mongolian team. :wink02: I know many of you guys think this is just plain silly, but that's just what I dream about.

Remember, whatever you answer is I won't take it as upsetting, and I'll always be Steelers FAN!

Livinginthe past
06-27-2007, 03:17 AM
NFL is an American sport - I want it to stay that way.

Im happy to see the odd game come over to Europe - Germany especially deserve some consideration as they follow the sport in a pretty big way.

I don't think European teams will ever be able to compete with their American rivals because we already have enough sports that we regard as part of our culture - Soccer, Rugby etc

And I don't think many Europeans will pay to watch a sub-standard equivalent of the NFL.

Its prety much the same argument, in reverse, that condemns soccer to be a 2nd class citizen in American sport for as long as they continue to persevere with it.

On the flipside, at least they could call it a World Championship with some legitimacy were this ever to happen.

So my vote?

Keep NFL Europe for as long as German fans continue to buy into the product but keep the NFL American - its a National sport, not an International one.

ShutDown24
06-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Leave Europa exactly the way it is. Hamburg couldn't beat the worst team in the NFL because every guy on that roster can't make an NFL team and that is why they are over there. It is good for Germany since they take easily to American culture compared to other European countries, but it is big enough as is. Europa was never meant to be an overly serious league, to be honest, it is there more to test new rules and ideas out than anything else so that they don't have to be experimented with here. It is really nice that they get some football close to them over there, but the league is a joke here as far as most people are concerned. No one that can make a real teams roster would want to go play for any team over there.

onthebus36
06-27-2007, 09:00 AM
NFL Europe is also useful for player development. There have been some good players in the NFL who probably wouldn't be playing today if they hadn't been able to get some game time in Europe. Jake Delhomme, Vinateri, and a few others come to mind.

You just have to look at it as kind of a farm system. You don't go to a AAA game to see Major Leauge baseball. It's just not the same but that doesn't mean it isn't fun.

rbryan
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I want to watch football this time of the year, but I have a hard time watching those games. No matter how hard I try to convince myself it's really football.

I guess its something to do with the fact that you never heard of the majority of the players. I think it needs to stay the way it is. There is no way any of those teams could compete with the NFL.

Mosca
06-27-2007, 10:13 AM
They play football in Europe? Since when? That sounds cool.

Tom

Livinginthe past
06-27-2007, 11:55 AM
They play football in Europe? Since when? That sounds cool.

Tom

Yeah.

A good few years back I remember we had 'football' in England - the London Monarchs to be precise.

Check out the helmet - I thought it was pretty clever design.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/NFLE_Monarchs.gif

Reading the Wikipedia entry it seems odd that the average attendance for a Monarchs game was about 40k - they won the World Bowl - and then attendances dropped right off!

We can't even bandwagon right over here!! :toofunny:

I remember there were teams from Alabama and Orlando and even NY/NJ.

It was a fun concept but they only ever gave it a highlights package on saturday morning.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah.

A good few years back I remember we had 'football' in England - the London Monarchs to be precise.

Check out the helmet - I thought it was pretty clever design.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/NFLE_Monarchs.gif

Reading the Wikipedia entry it seems odd that the average attendance for a Monarchs game was about 40k - they won the World Bowl - and then attendances dropped right off!

We can't even bandwagon right over here!! :toofunny:

I remember there were teams from Alabama and Orlando and even NY/NJ.

It was a fun concept but they only ever gave it a highlights package on saturday morning.

Maybe the NFL Euro League can work up your way and you can have an NFL Euro league team to cheer for LITP.

Livinginthe past
06-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Maybe the NFL Euro League can work up your way and you can have an NFL Euro league team to cheer for LITP.

I would only ever cheer for an English team - in most sports over here we are big rivals with our European brothers.

Its also not that easy to identify with a team when they have next to no English players.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 12:14 PM
I would only ever cheer for an English team - in most sports over here we are big rivals with our European brothers.

Its also not that easy to identify with a team when they have next to no English players.

Politically Europe=Calm

Athetlically Europe=MASS CHAOS!:sofunny:

tony hipchest
06-27-2007, 12:55 PM
i heard some interresting stats as far as nfl europe as a developmental league goes.

in 15 years it has produced over 200 players to make nfl rosters. 47 players who went on to play in the pro bowl, and 20 who went to the pro bowl multiple times.

rbryan
06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I would not have guessed that many pro bowlers. Impressive stat.

onthebus36
06-27-2007, 04:59 PM
NFL Europa started out in 1991 as the World League of American Football with ten teams in the US, Canada (GO MONTREAL MACHINE!), and Europe. This league ran from 1991 - 1993.

After taking 1994 off, it reemerged as NFL Europe. The seven US and Canadian teams were gone and three new European teams joined the three existing European teams for a six team league. At this point, there were teams in England, Scotland, Spain, Germany, and Holland.

Over the years, teams came and went until we had the current lineup of five German and one Dutch team. Since "Europe" is "Europa" in German and Dutch, the NFL changed the name again to NFL Europa this year.

In addition to player development, the NFL also uses the league to test new rules to see how they affect the flow of the game. That's pretty interesting.

Here's a good article on the league. All the teams are at the bottoms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Europa

tony hipchest
06-29-2007, 08:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/international/story/10240905

i did think this was worthy of its own thread but since we have a similar thread on the same topic-

it seems the nfl has finally got the europeans (mainly germans) hooked on the high of "methadone" (AAA football). now is the time to stike while the iron is hot, pull the rug from out under them, and start giving them "heroin" (nfl football), in increased doses.

it sucks for the european locals who looked at "their team" like we do our steelers. the good thing is the majority of these new foreign fans will probably just become steelerfans anyways.

NFL International to focus on global impact:
NFL Europa discontinued

(June 29, 2007) -- The NFL has determined that it will switch the focus of its international business strategy to presenting the NFL to the widest possible global audience, including broader media visibility and the staging of international regular-season games, and will discontinue NFL Europa.

"The time is right to re-focus the NFL's strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games," commented Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International.

"We will continue to build our international fan base by taking advantage of technology and customized digital media that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale than ever before and through the regular-season game experience. NFL Europa has created thousands of passionate fans who have supported that league and our sport for many years and we look forward to building on this foundation as we begin this new phase of our international development."

Last October, NFL owners passed a resolution to stage up to two international regular-season games per season. The new international series will launch on Sunday, October 28 when the Miami Dolphins host the New York Giants at London's Wembley Stadium.

In addition to the 2007 game in the United Kingdom, the NFL is preparing to stage regular-season games in future seasons in Germany, Mexico and Canada, with Germany being a strong candidate to host a regular-season NFL game in 2008.

NFL Europa began in 1991 as the World League of American Football, with 10 teams competing in the United States and Europe. After a two-year hiatus (1993-94) following the 1992 season, the league returned in 1995 as a six-team, all-European venture, with five teams in Germany since 2005, and has existed in that format through its final season in 2007.

SteelersMongol
07-19-2007, 02:23 AM
DR. Z

Despite all the effort, NFL can't catch on overseas

The foldage of NFL Europa introduces the interesting question: Does the league have a future anywhere outside of North America? Thus, in keeping with one of the few halfway newsworthy themes this July, Jerome Jumpp of Slough, UK, is our E-mailer of the Week for his thesis that 1) a big reason for failure is that the lesser variety doesn't measure up to the real thing and, 2) the only way to prevent that is to place franchises internationally.

I am prepared for a full-blown historical answer, but first I must say that JJ's solution won't work because travel arrangements over the course of a season would become too onerous. As far as trying to sell the American game to foreign markets, well, let's go back in time, the farther as one gets older:

One of my really enjoyable assignments when I worked for a daily paper was covering the International Soccer League in the old Polo Grounds in NYC. It was founded and run by William Cox, former owner of the Philadelphia Phillies, and informally known as the Cox Soccer League. I loved covering the action ... Dukla of Prague and Kilmarnock of Scotland and Bangu, the Thrill of Brazil. Great stuff! Periodically I would write the same think piece, how soccer was getting ready to make a move in the U.S. and stake out its share of the American public, just wait, any day now it'll happen.

This was 47 years ago. The league lasted a surprising six years and went kapoof! The great takeover hasn't happened. Oh sure, it's become a great participant's sport for kids and it has even introduced the term "soccer mom" into our vocabulary, and fans will turn out for international glamour teams. But the hard core fandom, local city and club loyalty that is the essence of the sport in Europe, is lacking here and probably always will be. It just isn't our own thing.

American football suffers a similar fate in Europe. Burly youngsters who like to whack each other about might take to it, but there is absolutely no fan base and never was and never will be. Our army team in Kaiserslautern tried mightily to interest the German public in our games. Notices were posted all over the place, admission was free. No one came, except the same service families.

I covered the first American Bowl game in Wembley, Vikings vs. Cards in 1983. I wrote a piece about how American football really has a future in England, and I worked the game from the stands, getting fan comments to back up that idea. I remember a quote from one woman who brought her children. "It's a clean game. You can bring your kids. There aren't all those soccer hooligans."

The story never ran. My editors wanted a clich? piece about the players visiting the pubs and posing with the guards at Buckingham Palace and all that stuff, not a serious one. But my angle had been incorrect, anyway.

I've written this before -- NFL Europe, excuse me, Europa, was, I feel, just a cover to keep players locked up and away from the foolish people who keep starting rival leagues in spite of all the NFL's grandiose pronouncements. OK, they'll do some promotion over there. They'll sell more T-shirts. So what?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/07/13/mailbag/index.html

steelpride12
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
NFL Europa is good for Players to Improve and Mabey come back to the NFL but come on football is an american sport and should stay here nowhere else!

ChronoCross
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
NFL Europa - May you rest in piece.

ChronoCross
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/nucleus/media/3/20050321-plug.jpg

SteelersMongol
07-20-2007, 02:53 AM
... but come on football is an american sport and should stay here nowhere else!

Selfish b*st*rds. :flap: What about globalization? What about the democracy thing that Americans want to spread throughout the world? :wink02: Let's just share everything. :smile: