PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the top 25 receivers

tony hipchest
06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/06/25/top.receivers/index.html

Last week SI.com's Peter King ranked the 32 starting quarterbacks, which inspired me to look more closely at my former position, wide receiver. While receiver is one of the most glamorous positions in the NFL, these rankings are not based on the best highlight reel players and end-zone dancers. In taking the entire game into account -- route running, hands, run-after-catch ability, blocking and overall impact on the game -- here are my top 25 wide receivers based on how I think they will fare in 2007:

finally all the proper criteria to rank the wr's by. this oughtta easilly put hines ward in the top 10 and give him some respect, right? (.....this is gonna be good)

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
You can tell it's a bias poll if Ward is lower the Douchebagzadeh and any Eagles Receivers.

fansince'76
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
While receiver is one of the most glamorous positions in the NFL, these rankings are not based on the best highlight reel players and end-zone dancers.

:bs:

Ranking Mucho Stinko above Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt suggests that that is exactly what this list is based on (and being SI, is not surprising in the least). As far as Ward goes, he'll never get the respect he deserves, much like John Stallworth never did - possession receivers (other than Largent) usually don't.

Livinginthe past
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Can't really argue too much with Steve Smith at No.1 - he is the Carolina offense.

For any one player to carry a team is impressive - when that player is a WR its even more special.

Harrison is a great technician and benefits from having Reggie Wayne opposite him.

There is more to the game than raw stats - sure Chad Johnson puts up big numbers but I am struggling to remember him taking a game over that really mattered.

Driver is a little too high and Boldin has a reputation for being a garbage time bully.

Moss is too high at No.10. and Colston is too low at 25.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Can't really argue too much with Steve Smith at No.1 - he is the Carolina offense.

For any one player to carry a team is impressive - when that player is a WR its even more special.

Harrison is a great technician and benefits from having Reggie Wayne opposite him.

There is more to the game than raw stats - sure Chad Johnson puts up big numbers but I am struggling to remember him taking a game over that really mattered.

Driver is a little too high and Boldin has a reputation for being a garbage time bully.

Moss is too high at No.10. and Colston is too low at 25.

Let me correct myself

Partial Bias.

CantStop85
06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Calvin Johnson's already #20 and he hasn't even played in a single game. Wow. lol

rbryan
06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Who is Bucky Brooks?? When I first read this I thought TH was talking about his former position. lol Seriously though, I never of heard of Skippy Brooks.

lilyoder6
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
i can't beleive he put calvin johnson even in the top 25.. i think larry fitz should be placed higher than boldin.. he always has a beeter yr.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Calvin Johnson's already #20 and he hasn't even played in a single game. Wow. lol

He's not that impressive. He needs to play a game first before getting ranked with the top receivers in the draft.

Crushzilla
06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
He's not that impressive. He needs to play a game first before getting ranked with the top receivers in the draft.

Agreed. That is certainly a "sexy" pick. Its much more exciting to think about how a college stud may be a Pro Bowl rookie. How can a proven, tough receiver (and number one receiver) who won the Super Bowl MVP two years ago be considered after Johnson. Especially on the "basis" of this ranking. Why is this guy lying to himself. His ranking is the exact opposite of what he said it was. And, therefore, just as much of a piece of crap.

P.S. Does anyone else think that Randy Moss looks like a supreme jackass with his gloves on his facemask.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Agreed. That is certainly a "sexy" pick. Its much more exciting to think about how a college stud may be a Pro Bowl rookie. How can a proven, tough receiver (and number one receiver) who won the Super Bowl MVP two years ago be considered after Johnson. Especially on the "basis" of this ranking. Why is this guy lying to himself. His ranking is the exact opposite of what he said it was. And, therefore, just as much of a piece of crap.

P.S. Does anyone else think that Randy Moss looks like a supreme jackass with his gloves on his facemask.

he looks like one almost all the time.

domthebomb228
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Burress? Over Ward? What games does this guy watch?

onthebus36
06-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Who is Bucky Brooks??

List as a former WR, Bucky Brooks was actually a journeyman PR/KR who had a fairly undistinguished 4 season career between 1994 and 1998 during which time he played for five teams. His total stats in four seasons are 26 kick returns and 1 punt return.

Do the math... His career began in 1994, he didn't play in 1995 but played for two teams in 1996, three teams in 1997, and two teams in 1998. (Wanna guess who his last team was? You got it! The Raiders...)

This all of course makes him the perfect guy write about football.

Seriously, in his defense, I thought his first couple pieces were pretty good and I think SI makes it's writers say controversial things so people like us will talk about it.

fansince'76
06-27-2007, 03:47 PM

He doesn't - he reads the damn box scores and draws his half-assed conclusions from those. Probably needless to say, but here goes anyway: a lot of what Ward does that makes him special doesn't show up in the box score. And that still doesn't account for Johnson being ranked #20. Sorry, I'm old school - I don't give a shit how good the kid was in college, if he hasn't played a down in the NFL, he has no business being the 20th-ranked receiver in the NFL on ANYBODY'S list.

onthebus36
06-27-2007, 04:00 PM

I know... Burress disappears completely in the playoffs.

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
I know... Burress disappears completely in the playoffs.

Burress isn't a playoff calibur WR for sure.

fansince'76
06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Burress isn't a playoff calibur WR for sure.

Nobody knows what kind of NFL WR Johnson is going to be as he has yet to play a down at that level, but he's still supposedly better than a guy who is the leading receiver in his franchise's history, has been to multiple Pro Bowls, and is considered the best blocker at his position in the league. Right. Brooks needs to put the crack pipe down and back slowly away from it.

The Duke
06-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Calvin Johnson shouldn't be on that list, until I see him take a real NFL hit he will just be another rookie to me.

fansince'76
06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Calvin Johnson shouldn't be on that list, until I see him take a real NFL hit he will just be another rookie to me.

Agreed - that's why you and I would never make it as hacks, er, I mean writers at Superhype Incorporated, er, Sports Illustrated....

ben2hines=6
06-28-2007, 02:24 PM
i can't beleive he put calvin johnson even in the top 25.. i think larry fitz should be placed higher than boldin.. he always has a beeter yr.

yes calvin johnson shouldnt be there but what r u talking about with fitz' numbers are always better than bolden???? bolden had over 300 more yards last year and only had 7 less yards the year before that....im not trying to put fitz down but bolden is an animal and i would put him in my top 5 easily because of the fact that he's the hardest wr to take down in the game once he has the ball in his hands...that includes TO

verks36
06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
WOW so many bad ranking

Should be down
- Moss = washed up and old doesnt have same spreed
- Javon walker=way to high doesnt carry offense and doesn make enough big plays in key times
-Lee Evans = OK he has one or 2 amazing games a season and the other games doesnt do squat way to high he is young and wil get better butthis point in his carrear to high
- Sanatana Moss = way to inconstitent what did he have one 100 yard game last yearm
-Mark CLayton- ARe you joking the ravens cant pass for crap how do u put him in front of Ward
- Calvin- play a game in the NFL then talk to me
- Reggie brown- BEnfits from Scheme and Mcnabb/ Garcia

Need Up
- Darrel Jackson= Wow this was a huge mistake looks at his stats from the last three years way better then deon branch
-Reggie Wayne= Arguebly better than marvin yet they are 7 spot difference
- Margues colston- to good of a season to put that far down
- Heniz One of the most complete WR in league hands down carries the steelrs passting gae every year with little help on other side