PDA

View Full Version : What is the Biggest Dis?

tony hipchest
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
it is the offseason and all football writers love to put out their rankings and we love to read them (football fans eat this crap up).

most power rankings should show you not to expect too much love for the steelers, although there have been some bright spots such as yahoo sports saying we have the best group of safeties and most fantasy football publications have willie parker easilly in the top 10 (some as high as 6th) as the best overall pick in your draft.

however, some of our brightest stars have taken a boot to the chin:

-peter king ranking ben at 17th.

-pete prisco not even including polamalu as a top 5 safety.

-and most recently SI's bucky brooks ranking hines ward #23 at the best all around wr.

if you had to pick 1 as the greatest sign of disrespect, which would it be?

*disclaimer- preseason rankings mean nothing, playing the disrespect card is overrated, and i know everybody hates SI. humor me here and make a pick.

stlrtruck
06-27-2007, 12:14 PM
I can handle Ben being ranked 17th based on his performance last year (even though his first two seasons were marvelous).
I can handle Hines Ward being 23rd - although it takes a lot of help to swallow that pill. Because we all know that Hines is one of the best overall receivers in the league.
But HOW DO YOU NOT PUT TROY IN THE TOP 5 at his position? I mean the man is a menace to QBs, OL and RBs when he blitzes, and to WRs when his in coverage! He's definitely a top 5 man!!!!

klick81
06-27-2007, 12:19 PM
DEFENITELY Polamalu's 'ranking'. That's just ridiculous.

TackleMeBen
06-27-2007, 12:21 PM
as much as i love ben i would have to agree that troy not being ranked in the top 5 is the biggest dis. that man is a machine on the field. he goes after whatever has the ball and what ever is moving his way.

verks36
06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
LIke Troy can be argued the best saftey in the league

So not putting him in the top 5 is a slap in the face

fansince'76
06-27-2007, 12:33 PM
They drool over Ray "I need 4 fat bastards in front of me to eat op blocks" Lewis.

Personally, I prefer Ray "jump-on-the-pile-after-the-play-is-over-while-the-statman-credits-me-with-two-solo-tackles" Lewis, but that one is pretty good too. :chuckle:

PisnNapalm
06-27-2007, 12:39 PM
That was very tough to choose but Troy is definitely a top 5 safety.

TackleMeBen
06-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Personally, I prefer Ray "jump-on-the-pile-after-the-play-is-over-while-the-statman-credits-me-with-two-solo-tackles" Lewis, but that one is pretty good too. :chuckle:

that is too funny 76. unfortunely my son has a ray lewis jersey that he loves. it was given to him by a friend of mine that is from baltimore and loves the ravens

wiqidjuggalo
06-27-2007, 12:55 PM
I can handle Ben being ranked 17th based on his performance last year (even though his first two seasons were marvelous).
I can handle Hines Ward being 23rd - although it takes a lot of help to swallow that pill. Because we all know that Hines is one of the best overall receivers in the league.
But HOW DO YOU NOT PUT TROY IN THE TOP 5 at his position? I mean the man is a menace to QBs, OL and RBs when he blitzes, and to WRs when his in coverage! He's definitely a top 5 man!!!!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::twocents:

rbryan
06-27-2007, 01:39 PM

I thought I was the only one who noticed "End of the play Ray"

Crushzilla
06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
The way Troy disrupts offenses by playing the entire field should put him in the top 5 DEFENDERS.

In the top 5 safeties is no question, Prisco is way off base here.

onthebus36
06-27-2007, 03:26 PM
King is just biased. Prisco is an idiot.

Ben had a bad season last year and should expect some lowered expectations.

Hines has skills that not all football fans appreciate. If you only look at yards and touchdowns, he's going to be undervalued. It's only when you look at stuff like blocks, clutch third down catches, heart, and leadership that the player that is Hines Ward is fully appreciated. Long story short, it doesn't surprise me that a stat hack would rate him low.

And then there's Troy... That is indefesible. Ridiculous. I'm running out of adjectives!

HometownGal
06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't put much stock in what these self-proclaimed soothstayers spew. Most of the time, at season's end, they all are wearing that sunny-side up and don't turn it over :egg: on their faces.

Out of those choices, I'd definitely have to go with the consensus here - Troy not being ranked as a Top 5 safety. He is relentless in pursuing a ball carrier and hits as hard as any defender in the NFL. He missed 3 games last season due to injury, but still came close and/or surpassed his 2005 numbers. Troy has been selected to 3 Pro Bowls thus far in his short tenure in the NFL - that speaks volumes as to how well respected he is as a player.

Newzfoxjr
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I wasn't happy with any of them...

As an all around fan, it'd be the Troy thing. But Ben is my favorite player, so that gets me too, but eh. At the end of ther day, it's just their opinion. A sucky one, but an opinion nonetheless.

83-Steelers-43
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Troy Polamalu not ranked a top five safety while playing with a bum shoulder and on team where both DB's looked lost and who's LB core did not put nearly enough pressure on opposing QB's has my vote.

tony hipchest
06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
wow. i didnt really think this poll would be so lopsided. even though i voted for troy, i got to thinking, he was only removed from his appropriate ranking by 5 slots. being considered 6th best (while a slap in the face ) is still being put in top with ones peers. ben being ranked 17th can easilly be a top 10 qb and there is no way 22 guys are better than hines. even with his age he should be a top 15 especially when the one ranking him was supposedly taking into account all the intangibles.

it was really a tough one to call for me, however i guess it is pretty obvious one has to be on crack to not see troy as a top 3 safety.

stillers4me
06-27-2007, 07:04 PM
They all make my blood boil. And I hope it lights a major blaze under Ben, Hines, and Troy's butts.

Nothing more dangerous than Steelers with the "nobody believes in us but us" syndrome. :chuckle:

Stlrs4Life
06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Troy not a Top 5 safety! That's a bunch of HS!

SteelersMongol
06-27-2007, 08:24 PM

EXACTLY!!!

Fullback&Punter
06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Troy's ranking is crazy!!!!!!!!

pittsburghp8baller
06-27-2007, 08:56 PM
i can understand ben's being ranked 17 because think of how these writers come up with these- stats. of course ben had a bad year last season but look at his other years still nothing that would jump out at anyone. there don't take into what kind of offense we run or the fact that he had some lingering injuries last year.

Hines Ward, i think he should be ranked a little higher but what do you all want? same thing as ben- stats, style of offensive. and what you all can say that Hines is on his downfall but a writer cant?

Troy's is the hardest to shallow. not in the top 5? omg that is the biggest bullcrap ive heard in a while.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-27-2007, 10:58 PM
When an offense has to specificly gameplan against you,you are a top 5 player at your position.I think Troy Polamalu should take that chip,put it on his shoulder,and make some offensive football players cry because of it this season.

SteelCzar76
06-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Hines being ranked so low is the biggest proverbial 'dis' as far as i'm concerned here. Troy is most certainly a top 5 safety. But in all honesty he did have something of a down year last season. (Albeit as stated earlier,...he wasn't 100% all year in regards to health. As well as playing with a cast of woefully inconsistent db's)

And as far as Ben,....i don't think these rankings are based merely upon "potential. He's at right about where he deserves to be as of now in regards to his peers,........"middle of the pack". (for lack of a better words)

Yes he most certainly went through a great deal last year in regards to his 'health'. (to say the least)
But to be honest,...even in light of this......he has never been exceptional from a pure passing standpoint.

Steelersfan4life0655
06-28-2007, 01:01 AM
how in the hell is Polamalu not in the top 5 safeties in the league? That guy is probably #1 maybe #2 but not in the top 5, that's insane!!! and hines being that low, the guy blocks, gets down dirt every play, outstanding hands. very clutch. I just dont know about these sports writers.:shake02:

Aussie_steeler
06-28-2007, 02:07 AM
Lets hope all three players read those comments and choose to be offended by them.

I would love to see them all come out with a chip on their shoulder and shove those rankings down the writers throats.

My vote: I think about 30 teams would kill to have Troy on their D as their starter

RoethlisBURGHer
06-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Here is how the sportwriters think: "If it's a Steeler,he ain't that good."

We could compile a team of Dan Marino,Jerry Rice,Emmit Smith,Randy Moss (from back in his playmaking days),and other great players and the media would leave them all off of thier lists or rank them low.

pittsburghp8baller
06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
how in the hell is Polamalu not in the top 5 safeties in the league? That guy is probably #1 maybe #2 but not in the top 5, that's insane!!! and hines being that low, the guy blocks, gets down dirt every play, outstanding hands. very clutch. I just dont know about these sports writers.:shake02:

most sports writers sucked at playing sports so this is the way they can get back at the "jocks". ive yet to really hear a sports writer that
1. made sense
2. knows anything about sports other than stats (thats jus because their sit round a computer most of the time)
3. I liked (liked woody paige untill he dissed the rooney family)

tony hipchest
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
who thinks the addition of the rooneys being ranked the 9th best owners to this poll would change the 90% vote troy got? would the rooneys being "dissed" automatically get 90% of the vote. would that 90% be split evenly?

regardless of ben and hines rankings, i think ALL steelerfans believe we got atleast a top 2 safety, and a top 2 owner.

anyways, this is all offseason fodder for discussion. tomlin wont let anybody sit around and boo-hoo about "rankings". after all, nobody is calling him a top 25 anything, and i dont know if he'll crack PEOPLE magazines "top 50 beautiful people" list.

(didnt gruden make that honor a few years back :huh: )

steelpride12
07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
god i was shocked to see troy he is #1 no doubt!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
All of these are pretty surprising to me but I'd say Ben should be ranked higher than 17, I don't have to explain why he had a bad year because we've all heard it 1000 times, and I think his injuries should have been taken into account when the list was made