PDA

View Full Version : Upset Fans Walk-out on the Steelers

section514
06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
When would we ever hear about fans walking out on the Pittsburgh Steelers? With everything that is going on with the Pirates, could you imagine if it was our beloved Steelers instead? Now one thing that I know is that Steeler fans would never allow the team to go 15 losing seasons. What do you think though? I could never picture Heinz Field empty. Hell even the Browns sell out ( i think, well at least they sell us their tickets). Would we ever try and push the Rooney's out if our team ever went 15 seasons without being above 500? I know we had a rough period in the 50s ( i think) but the fan base at that time was no where near where it is now. I don't know I was just thinkin about what it would be like if we were talkin about the Steelers instead of the P-Rats. What does everyone think?

Elvis
06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
First of all.. I agree with your fever bud...:thumbsup:
It would be tough to say how things would go if we were that long without a winning season. But I know how it feels to root the Steelers on for about 25 years or so and Not Have A Super Bowl... and I hope that I never have to do that again...:tt02::tt02::tt02:

The Duke
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I would be a steeler fan no matter what, I just can't picture my life without them. It would be tough to be 15 years on losing seasons, but I would never leave my steelers.

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
It depends. If we had scumbags running the Steelers and they showed no signs or will of wanting to win and they were simply raping the good citizens of Pittsburgh for all they are worth, I would probably end up selling my season tickets and watching them on TV.

Now if they were going 15 losing seasons and they were actually making an attempt at winning games and not suckering the fans year after year after year, I would have absolutely no problem keeping my season tickets.

Eitherway I would continue to support them by watching them on TV and rooting for them, but like hell would I write a check to them every year for season tickets while paying for parking and food/beer IF they were proving to me that they simply don't give a damn and simply just wanted my money. If that makes me less of a fan in some people's eyes, oh well. If the situation ever occured where our ownership group went down the Pirate path of McClatchy and Nutting, I would be willing to bet that the same people who would be screaming "bandwagon fan" are the same ones who are sitting at home in their recliners, not spending money on season tickets, concessions or parking every year. So I guess it's 'easier' for them to scream it.

That's just me.

Atlanta Dan
06-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I know we had a rough period in the 50s ( i think)

The Steelers had a rough first 40 years until 1972:smile:

Contrary to legend, The Chief was not universally beloved until the winning started in the 1970s and, in fact, a sports cartoonist in The Press (R.I.P.) had a recurring joke cartoon of "Same Old Steelers" that featured a blank eyed doofus wearing a leather helmet.

The Steelers had their cult following (including several of my uncles), but unlike today pro football was much more a male blue collar event where winning was nice but a chance to join your friends and get out of the house with a chance to drink and maybe even brawl a little in the stands was sufficient entertainment if the team lost.

Other than the Lions it is hard for any team to reach Pirate like levels of futility in the NFL with the schedule and salary cap/revenue sharing, so I cannot imagine you would ever get to the threat of a walkout .

PisnNapalm
06-28-2007, 04:10 PM
If the Steelers went 15 losing seasons they'd have to change their name to the Bengals.

Smashmouth225
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
I like other sports teams ya know but its something about the Steelers. If the Steelers lose its like a funeral around the house until the next Sunday. I couldn't see myself anything other than a Steeler fan-4-life .

Edman
06-28-2007, 04:31 PM
It could happen. The difference is that the Steelers organization is run much better than the Pirates, and Steeler fans never had to deal with 15 consecutive putrid seasons. Like 83 said, 15 years of crap is enough, but the organization and ownership has made little to NO effort to improve the Pirates.

But hey, the Steelers survived 40 years of suckiness, and they still survived as a franchise. But that was decades ago. Even the 80's Steelers, as much as that decade sucked, had some decent years in them.

It's nothing new when the Bucs lose, but it's the end of the world when the Steelers lose. That's how highly valued the Steelers are in Pittsburgh. People jump on the Rooney family for 'being cheap mf'ers', but compared to other teams in the sports world, you don't know how good we have it as Steeler fans.

SteelersMongol
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
NEVER.

Stlrs4Life
06-28-2007, 09:10 PM
I might not be a very happy camper, but still would be a fan. I am tired of the Pirates losing, and berate them all the time, but they are still my team.

TackleMeBen
06-28-2007, 09:11 PM
the fans in detroit did stage a walkout in protest of millen still having his job. it was swept under the carpet and not much was made about it.

stillers4me
06-28-2007, 09:18 PM
We waited 26 years for the elusive "one for the thumb".

TackleMeBen
06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
We waited 26 years for the elusive "one for the thumb".

i think the lions will be waiting until you know where freezes over before they win one :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2007, 10:06 PM
We waited 26 years for a Super Bowl Championship. That's a little bit different than waiting 15 years for a winning season with an ownership group who has proven time and time again that they don't give a damn. In 1997 the Lions made the playoffs for the fouth time in five years. You do the math. Just a tad bit different than the Pirates situation.

Just my opinion/observation.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
06-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelersJW
06-29-2007, 08:50 AM
I really don't think that we'll have a 15 year losing record streak. Even if we did, I would still be a fan. Just because we went 8-8 last year doesn't mean we're gonna suck from now on. That just doesn't happen in Pittsburgh football.

section514
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Having lived through something similar to this as a Golden State Warriors fan, my own experience is that you don't "walk out" on the team or get angry at them. You just don't get as excited about them, and when you go to a game, it's more about tailgating and having fun with your friends.

thats one of the problems about the Pirate's situation, people go to the game to tailgate and have fun. they don't care who wins, could you imagine just tailgating for steelers games and not caring who won. Anyone who has ever been to a steeler game and had to walk out of the stadium after a loss, knows that its not a fun. People that go to the pirate games are still giving the owners their money to by a ticket, so if you just go for the parking lot experience, don't buy a ticket, you never make it into the ball park to see the first pitch anyways, put on the radio. But do the Pirates get parking revenue as well? I say just don't go to anything, don't buy pirate gear, and don't watch the games on TV, listen to the radio. This is the first year that I will not go to a Pirate game just for the simple reason that I refuse to give any money to that organization. I still read the newspaper everyday to see how they are doing, I still want them to win, but I will not support them financially and I think that others need to do the same. I don't think that this walk-out on the Pirates tommorow is going to do anything, especially since the Pirates won't let FSN broadcast it. Their only hope is that the Nationals television cameras tape it or if our local news has their copters out. YOUR STILL BUYING A TICKET TO GO THUS GIVING THE ORGANIZATION YOUR MONEY. A better protest would be to just not go inside. Pick a game and don't show up. At least don't buy walk-up tickets. Who cares about fireworks, you can watch them on the river walk or tell your girlfriend to wait until next Wednesday to see fireworks. At least you won't have to worry about being upset over a pirates loss on the 4th of July. I feel bad for our Pirates, its not their fault. :banging:

tony hipchest
06-29-2007, 09:15 AM
the rooneys operate a family business and the people of pittsburgh are their extended family. there will be no walk out no matter how bad they suck.

the pirates operate like hollywood spittin out movies. some are good scripts and some are horrible. regardless the movies still get made, people still go and buy a pickle for 2 bucks and a popcorn for $5.

X-Terminator
06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Nope, I'd never walk out, for the reasons everyone else has stated - the Rooney family, while frugal with their money, cares about winning and putting a good product on the field for the fans, while the Pirates have more than made it clear that they don't.

section514
06-29-2007, 12:07 PM
It's not so much that you don't care who wins. You want your team to win, but after they start the season 10-26, you get less excited because they've pretty much established their place in the league for the year, so even if they do win, it's pretty much meaningless.

I don't get the part about boycotting everything to get back at the owners. All that'll accomplish is maybe get them to move the team to another city. If you have fun at the games, I don't know why you shouldn't go.

if your a baseball fan, you shouldn't go, if your a fan of PNC park then go

tony hipchest
06-29-2007, 12:13 PM
so was this whole thread just designed to build a soapbox and get a pirates discussion going? :dang:

theres plenty of pirate discussions in the sports forum, and i'll be glad to see this thread drop off the front page cause its all propoganda. no upset fans have walked out on the steelers.

section514
06-29-2007, 12:26 PM
its was just to see what people would do if the steelers went on a 15 season run of losing seasons

HometownGal
06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
so was this whole thread just designed to build a soapbox and get a pirates discussion going? :dang:

You read my mind, Tony. :willy:

I love the Steelers and have always supported them, no matter how good or bad a season they had. The 80's certainly were no picnic, but any football fan with an ounce of common sense knows that teams go through highs and lows, rebuilding and change. WIth the Steelers, though they may have an off season or a few off seasons in a row, we always know that there are better times ahead. :thumbsup:

My Steelers vow....................
For better or for worse til death do us part. :tt02: