PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor Interview

tony hipchest
06-30-2007, 01:08 PM
if he ever develops into as good a player on the field as he is a person off the field we will easilly have a top 5 cb in the league. i think tomlin can make it happen and ike definitely wants it more than us fans:

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=655418

Ed Thompson: I want to ask you about one of your teammates, second-year cornerback Anthony Madison who I think is one of the truly good guys on your team. I've had the pleasure of interviewing him a couple of times so far. Tell me what you appreciate the most about Anthony as a player and as a person?

Ike Taylor: He has one speed, and that's to go fast. I like Anthony Madison. I kind of took him under my wing because he's a hard worker, he's an underachiever. I have a two-bedroom condo in Pittsburgh and I actually let him stay there, no rent or anything because I know coming in like he did as a free agent, it's hard to save money, it's hard to live not being a first-rounder. It was hard for me my first year as a fourth-rounder. So with him being a free agent and having the extra stress of trying to make the team, trying to do good and worrying about if he'd have money during the offseason, I didn't want him to go through that. So I just put him up at my place, and he really appreciated it. I'm hard on him all the time, I pick on him all the time. But I just want nothing but the best for him.

ET: When you say you pick on him, what kinds of things do jab at him over?

IT: Just things like if he drops a pass, I tell him he's dropping money. I tell him that's one million you just dropped. And if someone catches a pass on him, I tell him that he can do better. But you know, it's all because I want the best for him. I had that done for me, so I'm now doing the same for some of these younger guys.

ET: Who helped you in that way when you were trying to break into the league, Ike?

IT: I had a good coaching staff -- Coach LeBeau, Coach Ray (Horton), Coach Darren Perry -- and during the offseason, Darren Sharper and Coach Tom Shaw. That's who I train with in the offseason, Coach Tom Shaw, and he's helped me out tremendously. He's working been working with me on my technique. And even our linebackers, James Farrior helped me out a whole bunch -- not just with cornerback, just being an NFL football player, period. Jerome (Bettis) sat me down a couple of times, Joey Porter. I always liked being around the older guys because you learn from them. They've been through it all, they've seen it all. So I just try to pick their brains so that hopefully I can do as well as them.

ET: You mentioned your offseason work with Coach Tom Shaw, who I know has referred to you as a "workaholic" and who has a lot of respect for you. What have you been focusing on during this offseason to get ready for 2007?

IT: Eating right. And I didn't like to stretch, but I'm stretching more and lifting more weights. As far as running and speed, I feel I was blessed with that. I've been doing a little bit more sleeping. You'd be surprised how much sleeping and eating right how much better your body feels. Within four weeks, I felt a difference, so I'm just going to keep that up. And I'm going to pray every night, read a verse from the Bible every day, and try to maintain myself better.

[Scout.com subscribers can listen to the rest of Ike's Scout Radio interview where he talks about what he did during the offseason, what he appreciates about new head coach Mike Tomlin, his thoughts on sixth-round pick William Gay]

tony hipchest
06-30-2007, 01:10 PM
http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/654953.html

Taylor's Camp Includes Special Message

(Nick Laham/Getty) By Ed Thompson
Scout.com
Posted Jun 27, 2007

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor will be hosting his third annual football camp this Friday near his hometown of New Orleans, Louisiana. And he'll deliver his special "FaceMeIke" message that will undoubtedly touch the lives of close to 200 youngsters that will be in attendance.

It's couldn't be more fitting that a player who has worked hard and overcome adversity throughout his life would return to his hometown -- that is still struggling to get back on it's feet -- to work with youngsters and deliver a special message about dealing with adversity with optimism and confidence.

Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor will be hosting the third annual FaceMeIke Football Camp presented by Cotto & Padovani Financial Strategies Group this Friday, June 29th in the New Orleans area. The event is being held at Camp Corral, the summer camp of Arden Cahill Academy.

Along with some of his teammates from the Steelers, Taylor will be joined by Coach Tom Shaw, the elite NFL trainer who has trained Taylor, 85 NFL first-round draft picks and the last five Super Bowl MVPs.

The 4th- to 8th-grade campers will get the opportunity to learn football skills and while interacting with the players.

“When Ike and his NFL teammates show up to our school it means more to our kids than they will ever know. When someone of that stature takes time to come home it really touches our hearts,” said Mrs. Arden Cahill, Director of Cahill Academy.

Taylor makes sure the event not only teaches the participants about football, but also about an important life lesson that will serve them well as they grow up.

"It's cool when everything goes your way, but some things don't go your way," Taylor said. "It's about facing adversity and things in life that don't always go your way -- how you're going to react, how you're going to respond."

Sharing his outlook on life is a personal mission for Taylor; one that is integrated into his soul based on his own life experiences.

"My life was never easy. I wasn't spoon fed, I had to work hard for what I got," he said. "I come from a strong background with a hard-working family. My mother works hard, my uncle works hard, so nothing was really given to me. That's why I appreciate what I have now even more."

At his website, www.facemeike.com, the message is clear. "Stand up to the pressure. Knock it down. Don't believe the hype. Create your own." He wants the youngsters he shares his time with to walk away from their experience with him knowing that they have the ability to take on any adversity and emerge as a winner in everything that they do, no matter what bumps in the road they may encounter.

When asked what he gets out of the experience, Taylor was quick to put the focus squarely where it belongs.

"This is not for me. This is for the kids," he said. "I like to see the kids' reaction, see their faces. Just trying to bring a smile to these kids, even if it's just for a couple of hours, and helping them build some memories they can draw from later on down the line."

The Duke
06-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I love reading about Ike, his training scheme for 2007 makes me think he'll be great this season, and leave behind last season's nightmare. On anthony madison what do you guys think about him, he's under Ike's wing so he sure could become great, maybe even replace colclough.

Livinginthe past
06-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Maybe its just me - but I think Ike should be concentrating on his own career before he starts offering people seminars on how to 'make it'.

He might well be talented, but in terms of the NFL and its fans he is a nobody right now.

fansince'76
06-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe its just me - but I think Ike should be concentrating on his own career before he starts offering people seminars on how to 'make it'.

He might well be talented, but in terms of the NFL and its fans he is a nobody right now.

I can see your point regarding Ike's anonymity amongst NFL fans as a whole, but I'd rather read about him doing something positive for kids than read about him going to a strip joint and "making it rain."

nicesteel4life
06-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I think livinginthe past is with that post, I enjoy reading the positive towards team mates and kids, there the future. I would definetely not call him a nobody, everybody has a bad run, looks like he is trying to be positive in his approach, think we need to give Ike a shot, sure didn't see everybody down on him the year before.....when we all wanted him resigned.

tony hipchest
06-30-2007, 08:59 PM

who woulda ever thought taking in a rookie under ones wing and offering constructive advise could draw critisizm? only from a patriots fan :rolleyes:

btw how many players is asanti samuel helping out right about now? :toofunny: good luck with that cancer.

just so you know, any player with their head on straight can act as a mentor and give youth camps on their own time, without losing concentration on the task at hand.

in other words, yeah, its just you. i think ike feels pretty good where his "career" is right about now. atleast he will be playing week 1. nobody likes a whiny quitter.

polamalufan43
06-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Ike always seemed like someone that would help someone else. Great job on that and good luck with the upcoming season.

~PF43:tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-30-2007, 09:50 PM
LITP,nobody really knew who Asante Samuel was before last year outside of Patriotville.

Livinginthe past
07-01-2007, 06:05 AM
who woulda ever thought taking in a rookie under ones wing and offering constructive advise could draw critisizm? only from a patriots fan :rolleyes:

I dont know. Maybe you would have to offer the question up to a wider forum than a bunch of Steeler fans to find out if 'only a Patriots fan' would criticise Ike.

btw how many players is asanti samuel helping out right about now? :toofunny: good luck with that cancer.

Asante has selflessly allowed everyone on the CB depth chart to move up one place.

Thats a real team player. :thumbsup:

just so you know, any player with their head on straight can act as a mentor and give youth camps on their own time, without losing concentration on the task at hand.

This is based on what?

How do you know what NFL players can and can't do without losing concentration?

Simple logic tells me that after a poor year a young player should be devoting 100% of his resources into improving the level of his play.

in other words, yeah, its just you. i think ike feels pretty good where his "career" is right about now. atleast he will be playing week 1. nobody likes a whiny quitter.

What Asante does or doesn't do has very little effect on my opinion of Ike Taylor - im sure it will be of great consolation to Steeler fans that a Patriots CB is not playing when their own guy gets beat by the same play over and over.

I'd be worried, if I were a Steelers fan, if Ike truly was happy with his career right now - if Cowher was still here he may not even have one in Pittsburgh and certainly not one as a starter.

Livinginthe past
07-01-2007, 06:06 AM
LITP,nobody really knew who Asante Samuel was before last year outside of Patriotville.

Tell me about it.

One good year and he wants to 'get paid' like Champ Bailey.

LarryNJ
07-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Ike Taylor: He has one speed, and that's to go fast. I like Anthony Madison. I kind of took him under my wing because he's a hard worker, he's an underachiever. I have a two-bedroom condo in Pittsburgh and I actually let him stay there, no rent or anything because I know coming in like he did as a free agent, it's hard to save money, it's hard to live not being a first-rounder. It was hard for me my first year as a fourth-rounder. So with him being a free agent and having the extra stress of trying to make the team, trying to do good and worrying about if he'd have money during the offseason, I didn't want him to go through that. So I just put him up at my place, and he really appreciated it. I'm hard on him all the time, I pick on him all the time. But I just want nothing but the best for him.

I know it must of been hard to get by on $500,500 that year Ike. And I really feel bad for Anthony Madison $275,000. Life is tough.

Salaries (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=taylor&player=3083)

tony hipchest
07-01-2007, 11:18 AM
This is based on what?

How do you know what NFL players can and can't do without losing concentration?

Simple logic tells me that after a poor year a young player should be devoting 100% of his resources into improving the level of his play.

What Asante does or doesn't do has very little effect on my opinion of Ike Taylor - im sure it will be of great consolation to Steeler fans that a Patriots CB is not playing when their own guy gets beat by the same play over and over.

.this is based on life. (and especially knowledge of the nfl) i know a player can be a good teamate w/o "losing concentration". :chuckle: seriously, thats one of the most absurd things ive heard from you.

have you ever thought why they pair up teammates to room together in camp and on the road?
but since you suggest a young players studying film or the playbook with a "study buddy" is so detrimental and prevents them from having 100% concentration, i'll be expecting 32 teams to change their policies here soon.

who ever knew telling a teammate "you just dropped a million bucks", could shatter ones focus? if the coaches were smart they would strap duct tape across everyones mouth who had a bad year :rolleyes:

i guess when peyton manning couldnt win the big one he was spending too much time giving advise to eli. he mustve quit doing that last year, though. and if any player isnt at the top of their game we can look no further than if they have a wife or family?

i cant wait til the steelers stop ike from giving youth camps in his hometown (especially since you say hes not qualified) and put him on pacmans diet of strippers, hoes, guns and herb. thats obviously the key to success and focus. :coffee:

Livinginthe past
07-01-2007, 03:26 PM
this is based on life. (and especially knowledge of the nfl) i know a player can be a good teamate w/o "losing concentration". :chuckle: seriously, thats one of the most absurd things ive heard from you.

I don't know how old you are but I doubt you have more 'knowledge of life' than me - whatever vague notion that may be.

I think its safe to say you have never really spoken to an NFL player (please correct me if I am wrong) on the subject of performance/ concentration and what factors may/may not affect it.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

have you ever thought why they pair up teammates to room together in camp and on the road?
but since you suggest a young players studying film or the playbook with a "study buddy" is so detrimental and prevents them from having 100% concentration, i'll be expecting 32 teams to change their policies here soon.

I am well aware that teams use experienced...yes, experienced, guys to mentor the younger guys in how to improve themselves in the NFL.

Ike Taylor simply isn't good enough, or competent enough to tell anybody hows its done - if he knew that he wouldn't have been dropped from the team last year.

who ever knew telling a teammate "you just dropped a million bucks", could shatter ones focus? if the coaches were smart they would strap duct tape across everyones mouth who had a bad year :rolleyes:

I fear for Madisons IQ level if needs to be reminded that 'dropping the ball' is 'bad thing'.

But hey, visualising a 'million' bucks obviously helps him leap over this mental boundary - and this from a guy who couldn't hold onto an interception of his life depended on it!

i guess when peyton manning couldnt win the big one he was spending too much time giving advise to eli. he mustve quit doing that last year, though. and if any player isnt at the top of their game we can look no further than if they have a wife or family?

Manning has served enough time in the NFL at consistently high enough level to be thought of as one of the best, if not the best, in the game.

Comparisons with Ike 'Fade Route' Taylor are ill advised.

i cant wait til the steelers stop ike from giving youth camps in his hometown (especially since you say hes not qualified) and put him on pacmans diet of strippers, hoes, guns and herb. thats obviously the key to success and focus. :coffee:

Thats right - a perfect strawman argument to finish.

Beating down my non-existent suggestion that Ike should be more like Pac-man.

GhostHarvest
07-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Good interview. If he plays up to his potential this season, our secondary should be really good.

SteelersMongol
07-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I LIKE IKE!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

tony hipchest
07-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't know how old you are but I doubt you have more 'knowledge of life' than me - whatever vague notion that may be. :rolleyes:

I think its safe to say you have never really spoken to an NFL player (please correct me if I am wrong) on the subject of performance/ concentration and what factors may/may not affect it. :rolleyes:

You have your opinion, I have mine. :coffee:

I am well aware that teams use experienced...yes, experienced, guys to mentor the younger guys in how to improve themselves in the NFL. :hunch:

Ike Taylor simply isn't good enough, or competent enough to tell anybody hows its done - if he knew that he wouldn't have been dropped from the team last year. :blah:

I fear for Madisons IQ level if needs to be reminded that 'dropping the ball' is 'bad thing'. :rolleyes:

But hey, visualising a 'million' bucks obviously helps him leap over this mental boundary - and this from a guy who couldn't hold onto an interception of his life depended on it! :rolleyes:

Manning has served enough time in the NFL at consistently high enough level to be thought of as one of the best, if not the best, in the game. :thumbsup:

Comparisons with Ike 'Fade Route' Taylor are ill advised. thats besides the point (that you made)

Thats right - a perfect strawman argument to finish.

Beating down my non-existent suggestion that Ike should be more like Pac-man.thats right. what you suggested was equally absurd/asinine.

go back and re-read the interview you are critisizing him for. it may bring your bizarre assertions to light.

feel free to even attempt to address why a team would even give ike taylor (or any other player who sucks so bad) a roomate in camp if you are so sure it is such a distraction and lack of 100% "concentration".

after all:

I doubt you have more 'knowledge of life' than me :rolleyes:

...so full of doubt. tsk tsk

HometownGal
07-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I dont know. Maybe you would have to offer the question up to a wider forum than a bunch of Steeler fans to find out if 'only a Patriots fan' would criticise Ike.

No disrespect intended, Nigel, but this IS a Steelers forum after all and reading about one of our "nobodies" taking such a positive approach to helping out a teammate is quite refreshing, considering all of the grime and goo we've all heard about some of the big names around the NFL.

At least he's not out poking women without wearing a hat. :wink02:

tony hipchest
07-01-2007, 10:07 PM
No disrespect intended, Nigel, but this IS a Steelers forum after all and reading about one of our "nobodies" taking such a positive approach to helping out a teammate is quite refreshing, considering all of the grime and goo we've all heard about some of the big names around the NFL.

At least he's not out poking women without wearing a hat. :wink02:its funny how if one is a patriot and having children out of wedlock it has no impact on that "100% concentration" but if one is a sucky super bowl champion player on the steelers, even talking to a teamate during practice can shatter it. :rolleyes:

how great it must be to be a holy patriots fan :nw:

too bad we dont have randy moss to encourage s. holmes to hold onto the ball...:dang:

nicesteel4life
07-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Tony!

HAHAHAHAHAHA Great ones! That deserves a Cheer! :cheer:

Take that Livinginthe past

Livinginthe past
07-02-2007, 07:35 AM

At least he's not out poking women without wearing a hat. :wink02:

Yep.

That still doesn't change the fact that fans of other teams might not be quite so quick to spot the halo above Ike's head.

I fully expected pretty much everyone else to disagree with my point of view, but to say 'only a Patriots fan' would make that statement is misleading at best.

We can talk about Brady some more - he is way more interesting (and successful) than an over paid CB who got dropped from the team.

Maybe thats why he got paid all that extra money - it obviously wasn't based on production...maybe its a type of 'mentor bonus' to help the younger members of the team to realise their full potential...just like Ike hasn't :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
07-02-2007, 08:37 AM
but I'd rather read about him doing something positive for kids than read about him going to a strip joint and "making it rain."

I agree completely. I love Ike's attitude and work ethic, always have. I wish the whole team had his personality, attitude and work ethic. I just hope the guy get's it together on the field. As Tony already stated, if there is anybody who can do it for Ike, I feel it's Tomlin.

tony hipchest
07-02-2007, 08:42 AM
only a patriot fan would be so smug as to suggest being a good teammate and acting like a leader and a role model would be distracting and a sign of not giving 100% concentration.

most "other teams" fans know that isnt the case. only patriot fans who think football was invented in 2000 believe so.

say what you want about fade patterns, and tom brady. youre still wrong. think about what youre critisizing. a guy for playing football and talking with a teammate. thats really a desperate attempt to find an excuse to slam one of our players. the asanti samuel hold out must really be getting to you.

in the meantime jabar gaffney and reche caldwell are helping all the new pat receivers learn the playbook :toofunny:

HometownGal
07-02-2007, 08:44 AM
too bad we dont have randy moss to encourage s. holmes to hold onto the ball...:dang:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::cheers:

nicesteel4life
07-02-2007, 09:00 AM
I believe the truth in the matter is the Pats have been put on a pedistool that the Pat fans arent so sure they can handle this year. I mean being the favorites and all to win the Superbowl before the training camps open...Thats alot of pressure in itself. Then the Moss deal looming, was it smart was it bad?, as well as Asanti deal, will he play or wont he? the age factor setting in with some players, will they be up to the level they once were? and of course Tom having a B*****D child, that is what they call a child out of wedlock. I beleive the Patriot Nation is getting worried and now the fan ranks are heading out looking to start trouble with other teams. They say that a bully is a bully so he dont get picked on first....hmmmmmmmmmmm. I can see it already, next he will be saying that the Steelers and Tomlin who took part in a Urban Impact clinic this weekend should be working on there own skills before helping kids!

tony hipchest
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
I believe the truth in the matter is the Pats have been put on a pedistool that the Pat fans arent so sure they can handle this year. I mean being the favorites and all to win the Superbowl before the training camps open...Thats alot of pressure in itself. Then the Moss deal looming, was it smart was it bad?, as well as Asanti deal, will he play or wont he? the age factor setting in with some players, will they be up to the level they once were? and of course Tom having a B*****D child, that is what they call a child out of wedlock. I beleive the Patriot Nation is getting worried and now the fan ranks are heading out looking to start trouble with other teams. They say that a bully is a bully so he dont get picked on first....hmmmmmmmmmmmso what youre saying is perhaps ripping on ike taylor is a way to deflect attention from these matters? hmmmmmm. good call

another theory. perhaps mentoring young players that you draft or pick up as undrafted free agents is no longer the way to build a winning team. maybe all teams will adopt the "patriot way" and start signing 2 bengals and 2 known potheads to establish winning. :thumbsup:

or do they just get the best of both worlds? donte and randy can invite chad jackson over to "study the playbook" by playing madden on the x-box. and as they pass around the doobie and bag of cheetos they can tell him how lots of practice and proper conditionning will prevent him from pulling his hamstrings. :sofunny:

DACEB
07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
It's posts like these from LITP that make me wonder.

This is the players personal time right now, and for them to be involved in productive community activities that is still related to football should be praised not questioned. For a player to extend a helping hand to a teammate at any level should also be praised.

As a Steelers fan I can only hope that Ike rebounds and has a great season. As a fan of football I can only hope to have more guys like Ike in the league PERIOD.

tony hipchest
07-02-2007, 09:24 AM
. I can see it already, next he will be saying that the Steelers and Tomlin who took part in a Urban Impact clinic this weekend should be working on there own skills before helping kids!

he already did:

Taylor's Camp Includes Special Message

(Nick Laham/Getty) By Ed Thompson
Scout.com
Posted Jun 27, 2007

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor will be hosting his third annual football camp this Friday near his hometown of New Orleans, Louisiana. And he'll deliver his special "FaceMeIke" message that will undoubtedly touch the lives of close to 200 youngsters that will be in attendance. :thumbsup:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He might well be talented, but in terms of the NFL and its fans he is a nobody right now.:jawdrop: in terms of the nfl and its fans hes most definitely a "somebody" to those 200 kids.
that comment is almost disgusting and certainly revolting :puke:

:chuckle:

Livinginthe past
07-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Finally a bit of life in the forum - its a shame that it has to take the form of a witch hunt against an evil Patriots fan. :wink02:

To DACEB - I couldn't care less about what your thoughts are about why I post here - been there and done that (and heard far more interesting theories than yours).

I see it doesn't take long to start bringing Patriots players into the equation - be it Randy Moss, Tom Brady or Donte Stallworth - and this I understand...people actually know who these guys are (Facemewho?).

Regardless, the only response appears to be - at least we do it better than the Patriots (and you don't) nee ner nee ner.

I don't see the relevance of half the content on this thread but I guess some of you guys are as bored as me at the 'training camp updates' and LeBeau's latest 'unstoppbale' bag of tricks :sofunny: (see, I can go off-topic too).

Anyway my point is that, if Ike continues to mentor (and set up egotistical self-promoting websites) then he'll probably find he is able to run the site full time in a year or two.

Get better at what you do before you 'share the magic'.

Like I say, drag this thread back onto the Patriots all you want, it doesn't detract from my original point - and I really haven't read a sensible argument to counter it.

tony hipchest
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Like I say, drag this thread back onto the Patriots all you want, it doesn't detract from my original point - and I really haven't read a sensible argument to counter it. to counter what? that being a good teammate distracts ikes 100% concentration on getting better?

:toofunny: - hilarious!

maybe tomlin will bring ike into his office and reprimand him for offering encouraging words and room an board to a 2nd year player. :rolleyes:

again, if its so distracting, why do teams pair up players in camp and on the road. have you figured out something the rest of the NFL hasnt?

"witch hunt" lmao!

Livinginthe past
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
to counter what? that being a good teammate distracts ikes 100% concentration on getting better?

:toofunny: - hilarious!

maybe tomlin will bring ike into his office and reprimand him for offering encouraging words and room an board to a 2nd year player. :rolleyes:

again, if its so distracting, why do teams pair up players in camp and on the road. have you figured out something the rest of the NFL hasnt?

"witch hunt" lmao!

There are plenty of things that occur in the NFL that I don't agree with - the recruitment policy of the Bengals, for example.

That doesn't mean Lewis isn't aware of what goes on - it simply means he doen't place the same value (or shares the same opinion) on certain factors as me.

Maybe Tomlin doesn't think it will distract Ike, but I don't see how it can help - I really think Taylor needs to get his own house in order first.

But to keep some type of perspective, im not comparing him to Pac-man or any of those other low lives.

The problem is, its being made to look like a bigger deal than it really is because I have to explain, then re-explain everything 3 or 4 times - and avoid the usual anti-Patriots nonsense.

Personally I would pair Ike with an experienced guy - someone like Hines or Farrior - I wouldn't have him as the senior half of any pairing.

Simple as that.

tony hipchest
07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
There are plenty of things that occur in the NFL that I don't agree with - the recruitment policy of the Bengals, for example.

That doesn't mean Lewis isn't aware of what goes on - it simply means he doen't place the same value (or shares the same opinion) on certain factors as me.

Maybe Tomlin doesn't think it will distract Ike, but I don't see how it can help - I really think Taylor needs to get his own house in order first.

But to keep some type of perspective, im not comparing him to Pac-man or any of those other low lives.

The problem is, its being made to look like a bigger deal than it really is because I have to explain, then re-explain everything 3 or 4 times - and avoid the usual anti-Patriots nonsense.

Personally I would pair Ike with an experienced guy - someone like Hines or Farrior - I wouldn't have him as the senior half of any pairing.

Simple as that.maybe the the patriots run their team like a communistic society, but no other teams dictate whether a player can have a roommate or not. just like no teams micromanage evey aspect of the players lives to say they cant have a girlfriend or wife.

what you are calling anti-patriot nonsense is examples of how the patriots and their players do exactly the same thing you are critisizing our players for with typical anti-steeler nonsense.

you dont see how "it" can help Ike, or madison, or the steelers, or whoever, but you havent even offered how "it" may hurt anyone. Lost concentration? thats bogus.

the interview clearly states how ike received the same type of mentorship from the veterans around him.

what is there that suggests to you he needs to "get his house in order". his house is in order.

again lets look at exactly what it is you are so critical cause i think we read a different interview.

I like Anthony Madison. I kind of took him under my wing because he's a hard worker, he's an underachiever. I have a two-bedroom condo in Pittsburgh and I actually let him stay there, no rent or anything because I know coming in like he did as a free agent, it's hard to save money, it's hard to live not being a first-rounder. It was hard for me my first year as a fourth-rounder. So with him being a free agent and having the extra stress of trying to make the team, trying to do good and worrying about if he'd have money during the offseason, I didn't want him to go through that. So I just put him up at my place, and he really appreciated it. I'm hard on him all the time, I pick on him all the time. But I just want nothing but the best for him.

ET: When you say you pick on him, what kinds of things do jab at him over?

IT: Just things like if he drops a pass, I tell him he's dropping money. I tell him that's one million you just dropped. And if someone catches a pass on him, I tell him that he can do better. But you know, it's all because I want the best for him. I had that done for me, so I'm now doing the same for some of these younger guys.

ET: Who helped you in that way when you were trying to break into the league, Ike?

IT: I had a good coaching staff -- Coach LeBeau, Coach Ray (Horton), Coach Darren Perry -- and during the offseason, Darren Sharper and Coach Tom Shaw. That's who I train with in the offseason, Coach Tom Shaw, and he's helped me out tremendously. He's working been working with me on my technique. And even our linebackers, James Farrior helped me out a whole bunch -- not just with cornerback, just being an NFL football player, period. Jerome (Bettis) sat me down a couple of times, Joey Porter. I always liked being around the older guys because you learn from them. They've been through it all, they've seen it all. So I just try to pick their brains so that hopefully I can do as well as them.
so are you saying ike is the senior half of a pairing when he is working out on his own time with darren sharper and coach shaw (who has trained multiple super bowl MVP's)? not only is his house in order but his work effort, willingness to help, and be a great teammate, is very beneficial to a young player, which in turn is beneficial to the team.

where exactly is the problem here? i think your just trying to dig up dirt where there is none.

steelpride12
07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Ikes and overall great guy and seeing his workouts proves he is putting last year in the past and proving he is a great corner!

tony hipchest
07-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Ikes and overall great guy and seeing his workouts proves he is putting last year in the past and proving he is a great corner!ike talked the great talk,last year immediately after the superbowl, which had me scratching my head why he had a subpar year in the 1st place. other than being a great teammate, role model, and giving great effort, ike cant prove being a great cornerback without his performance on the field.

he needs to look no further than fred smoot to see where his future with the steelers lies if he doesnt get it done on the field. however i gotta think tomlin likes his chances better with taylor than he did with smoot.

(smoot is now in washington making randel el and archuleta type $$$)

paw-n-maul-u
07-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Simple as that.

This is easily the dumbest post IN THIS THREAD you have made so far. I started reading from the beginning so I made sure I didn't miss anything. Tony has dominated you. period.
But now it seems that your arguement is getting so bad (and its obvious that you know it too or you wouldn't attach some BS sub-arguement that u just decided to start bitching about 1 post ago. First ike should be practicing more instead of holding youth football camps ... now even his roomate situation for OTA's is making him less focused!?!?!), ... Ike taylor shouldn't the the "senior half" of any roomate pairing? WTF!?!?!?!?! ... whooo cares.

What ... should Ike taylor be paired with hines or farrior so he can learn some tips on getting seperation on his fade routes that he doesnt have to run? ... or maybe farrior can help him with his gap recognition skills so Ike can more effectively blitz from the MLB spot ... a position he doesnt play.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/smilies/banging.gif
:banging:
NO.

I would much rather have our NUMBER ONE CORNER ... paired up with one of the younger CORNERS. which is exactly what is stated in the article ... sounds like someone else doesn't think that's too bad of an idea either.

And in other news .... patriots defensive end Ty Warren hosted a chat on ESPN today where he talked about the season ... and one of the questions was even about his FOOTBALL CAMP THAT HE ANNUALLY HOSTS ... proceeds go to benefit families of chilidren with autism ... that lazy bastard (whoops no thats Tomboy's kid(s)?) should be spending his time on football!!!

This must be why he didn't make the probowl ... too much time raising money for charity and doing ESPN chats tooting his own horn!!!!

You should just stop replying.

Livinginthe past
07-05-2007, 01:52 PM
This is easily the dumbest post IN THIS THREAD you have made so far. I started reading from the beginning so I made sure I didn't miss anything. Tony has dominated you. period.

Ok, first up - put the pom-poms down and wipe the drool from your lips - its embarrasing.

I have little time for kids who talk about others getting 'dominated' on a football forum - its just a very lightweight approach and makes it difficult for me to take you seriously.

But now it seems that your arguement is getting so bad (and its obvious that you know it too or you wouldn't attach some BS sub-arguement that u just decided to start bitching about 1 post ago. First ike should be practicing more instead of holding youth football camps ... now even his roomate situation for OTA's is making him less focused!?!?!), ... Ike taylor shouldn't the the "senior half" of any roomate pairing? WTF!?!?!?!?! ... whooo cares.

You say you read the whole thread from the beginning, but I can only surmise one of your dancing tassles temporarily blinded you.

My point was simply that Ike should get better at what he does before offering mentorship to others - not that he should be out there praticing right now.

What ... should Ike taylor be paired with hines or farrior so he can learn some tips on getting seperation on his fade routes that he doesnt have to run? ... or maybe farrior can help him with his gap recognition skills so Ike can more effectively blitz from the MLB spot ... a position he doesnt play.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/smilies/banging.gif
:banging:
NO.

Thats a cute use of sarcasm, but if you took the time to read a post by TH (No.32) it clearly states that Ike has indeed spent some time with James Farrior (who helped him become a better football player not just a cornerback).

I guess that means your previous attempt at a biting retort has fallen flatter than a pre-op Paris Hilton.

I would much rather have our NUMBER ONE CORNER ... paired up with one of the younger CORNERS. which is exactly what is stated in the article ... sounds like someone else doesn't think that's too bad of an idea either.

I wasn't truly convinced about this point, until you used CAPS LOCK - then it all fell into place.

Really, your NUMBER ONE CORNER got DROPPED from the team because he was getting consistently OWNED on the same play.

And in other news .... patriots defensive end Ty Warren hosted a chat on ESPN today where he talked about the season ... and one of the questions was even about his FOOTBALL CAMP THAT HE ANNUALLY HOSTS ... proceeds go to benefit families of chilidren with autism ... that lazy bastard (whoops no thats Tomboy's kid(s)?) should be spending his time on football!!!

This must be why he didn't make the probowl ... too much time raising money for charity and doing ESPN chats tooting his own horn!!!!

Ty Warren is an elite DE in the 3-4, and you can disagree with that assessment as much as you like.

But basing your rating on a non pro-bowl appearance is pretty lame - if I have to explain why then you should probably be the one who 'stops posting'

You should just stop replying.

Yep. Thats why you posted that senseless, sycophantic rant - just so I wouldn't reply. :yawn:

paw-n-maul-u
07-05-2007, 01:53 PM
for the record LITP ... IMO anyways (whatever that means to you) ... you are by far one of the more knowledgeable NFL fans on this site, and most of the time the questions you bring up/points you make are spot-on.

so sorry for being malicious ... just that this thread is retarded and might as well just be deleted.

What a stupid interview anyways ... what was it all of 3 questions? Not to mention there was nothing in those quotes that was worth devoting several days/pages of forum responses too.

Preacher
07-05-2007, 02:06 PM
LITP...

Context is the key...

?When Ike and his NFL teammates show up to our school it means more to our kids than they will ever know. When someone of that stature takes time to come home it really touches our hearts,? said Mrs. Arden Cahill, Director of Cahill Academy.

Mark Rypen went to my grade school, Junior Highschool, and highschool. I would go and watch him play Highschool ball. He went to college just down the road an hour and a half (WSU).

Whenever he came back into town (Spokane) to do something... it was put all over the news. Why? not because he was a great QB... but because he was FROM OUR TOWN... and was therefore a HOME TOWN HERO.

That is exactly what is being said here... The stature OF BEING AN NFL starter... on a SB winning team... and still taking time to come home and help people.

BTW... the best mentors usually are NOT the ones who are at the top of their game. It is the ones that struggle... because they know what it is like to struggle. Also, mentoring gives a fresh look at the position to those DOING the mentoring... It is ALWAYS a win/win... as long as both parties are willing to do the work...

Livinginthe past
07-05-2007, 02:18 PM
LITP...

Context is the key...

Mark Rypen went to my grade school, Junior Highschool, and highschool. I would go and watch him play Highschool ball. He went to college just down the road an hour and a half (WSU).

Whenever he came back into town (Spokane) to do something... it was put all over the news. Why? not because he was a great QB... but because he was FROM OUR TOWN... and was therefore a HOME TOWN HERO.

That is exactly what is being said here... The stature OF BEING AN NFL starter... on a SB winning team... and still taking time to come home and help people.

BTW... the best mentors usually are NOT the ones who are at the top of their game. It is the ones that struggle... because they know what it is like to struggle. Also, mentoring gives a fresh look at the position to those DOING the mentoring... It is ALWAYS a win/win... as long as both parties are willing to do the work...

I really, really don't have a problem with him doing work with school kids - thats something every pro sportsman should make time for.

My point was directly regarding his mentor status with Anthony Madison - that basically guys who struggle and then prevail will have great advice to offer, but guys who are still struggling (until he proves otherwise) really don't.

paw-n-maul-u
07-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Ok, first up - put the pom-poms down and wipe the drool from your lips - its embarrasing.

I have little time for kids who talk about others getting 'dominated' on a football forum - its just a very lightweight approach and makes it difficult for me to take you seriously.

You say you read the whole thread from the beginning, but I can only surmise one of your dancing tassles temporarily blinded you.

My point was simply that Ike should get better at what he does before offering mentorship to others - not that he should be out there praticing right now.

Thats a cute use of sarcasm, but if you took the time to read a post by TH (No.32) it clearly states that Ike has indeed spent some time with James Farrior (who helped him become a better football player not just a cornerback).

I guess that means your previous attempt at a biting retort has fallen flatter than a pre-op Paris Hilton.

I wasn't truly convinced about this point, until you used CAPS LOCK - then it all fell into place.

Really, your NUMBER ONE CORNER got DROPPED from the team because he was getting consistently OWNED on the same play.

Ty Warren is an elite DE in the 3-4, and you can disagree with that assessment as much as you like.

But basing your rating on a non pro-bowl appearance is pretty lame - if I have to explain why then you should probably be the one who 'stops posting'

Yep. Thats why you posted that senseless, sycophantic rant - just so I wouldn't reply. :yawn:

Alright. Pom-poms down ... drool wiped. Thanks.

Anyways ...

1- I don't care about Ty Warren. Did I ever say he wasn't elite? Did I even bring up a single thing about his on-field performance? You're dumb. All I did was type in "NE patriots youth football camps" on google ... and found one hosted by Ty Warren ... and I tried to make just as ridiculous an assertion as you did about Ike.

2-You completely missed my point about the farrior/ike/madison roomie situation. whoooooooooooooooo caresssssssssssssss that Ike is madisons "mentor".

Taylor- "Hey, Anthony, is it ok if I offer some free advice to you, given that I ... A) Want to help you get better, B)know EXACTLY what your situation is like, and C) can give you excellent tips on technique/the position you play (which is coincidentally the same as mine). Oh, I'm also #1 on the depth chart and have a few years starting experience.
Madison- "man that sure would be a help ... your a great guy Ike!"
Taylor- "SIKE!!!!!! F*** you rookie bitch!! ... I'm chillin with my boy farrior baaaaahahahaha."

I bet if you asked farrior ... he would probably say something like "i could be more useful rooming with/mentoring someone of my same position/little to no experience."

Mannnnnnnnn what is such a big deal about Ike mentoring one of the younger rookie CB's.

3-How can you say you have little time for arguing with kids on a football forum??? you have probably one of the highest post totals out of everyone on this site. AND ITS NOT EVEN YOUR FAVORITE TEAM!!!! I can't imagine how many posts you have on the patriots forum. Must be a legend ... . Actually it seems like the ONLY thing you have is time on your hands to argue on a football forum.

And it's obvious that you view yourself as some all knowing football facts god send, or you would talk down to me with such phrases as "tassels temporarily blinded you" and refering to me as a "kid". How can you even have ANY idea how old I am?

Livinginthe past
07-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Alright. Pom-poms down ... drool wiped. Thanks.

You're welcome.

1- I don't care about Ty Warren. Did I ever say he wasn't elite? Did I even bring up a single thing about his on-field performance? You're dumb. All I did was type in "NE patriots youth football camps" on google ... and found one hosted by Ty Warren ... and I tried to make just as ridiculous an assertion as you did about Ike.

My whole point is that Ike Taylor is not particularly good at his position (being No.1 on the Pittsburgh CB depth chart is no great shakes, believe me!) at this time - not good enough to be offering much in the way of helpful advice to rooks anyway.

Dont get me wrong - the guy has talent - talent needs honing. Ask yourself why did Ike fall so far behind his learning curve last year?

It wasn't because he is totally comfortable with his game, thats for sure.

2-You completely missed my point about the farrior/ike/madison roomie situation. whoooooooooooooooo caresssssssssssssss that Ike is madisons "mentor".

Taylor- "Hey, Anthony, is it ok if I offer some free advice to you, given that I ... A) Want to help you get better, B)know EXACTLY what your situation is like, and C) can give you excellent tips on technique/the position you play (which is coincidentally the same as mine). Oh, I'm also #1 on the depth chart and have a few years starting experience.
Madison- "man that sure would be a help ... your a great guy Ike!"
Taylor- "SIKE!!!!!! F*** you rookie bitch!! ... I'm chillin with my boy farrior baaaaahahahaha."

I bet if you asked farrior ... he would probably say something like "i could be more useful rooming with/mentoring someone of my same position/little to no experience."

Mannnnnnnnn what is such a big deal about Ike mentoring one of the younger rookie CB's.

See above. If you still don't get it, then i've said all im going to say.

3-How can you say you have little time for arguing with kids on a football forum??? you have probably one of the highest post totals out of everyone on this site. AND ITS NOT EVEN YOUR FAVORITE TEAM!!!! I can't imagine how many posts you have on the patriots forum. Must be a legend ... . Actually it seems like the ONLY thing you have is time on your hands to argue on a football forum.

And it's obvious that you view yourself as some all knowing football facts god send, or you would talk down to me with such phrases as "tassels temporarily blinded you" and refering to me as a "kid". How can you even have ANY idea how old I am?

Out of the people who post here regularly I have been here pretty much the longest - thats one reason why my post count is pretty high.

There are plenty of posters here I enjoy talking football with - none of them sound like they are commentating on a cage fight.

As it happens I have very few posts on the Patriots forum, which I use as a more of a resource for information - its so big that any posts you make soon get pushed to the bottom of the pile.

You came off like a kid on a sugar rush with your talk of me being 'dominated' - thats why I referred to you as such.

ps The tassels were all part of your cheerleaders outfit.

tony hipchest
07-05-2007, 05:31 PM
My whole point is that Ike Taylor is not particularly good at his position (being No.1 on the Pittsburgh CB depth chart is no great shakes, believe me!) at this time - not good enough to be offering much in the way of helpful advice to rooks anyway.

my whole point is bill belichick, jon gruden, bill cowher and tony dungy, werent particularly "good at their position". infact they were so bad they never made it (gruden/belichick) or were very short term "career" back-ups (cowher/dungy). if what you say is true, how is it that all the sb winning head coaches recently were able to offer "helpful advice" to not only rooks but veterans too?

using your logic, 34 year old cowher shoulda had his "house in order" and atleast be able to crack the starting line-up before he started advising players like greg lloyd, and hardy nickerson how to play ball.

darren perry wasnt as great as carnell lake or rod woodson on the field, yet it was darren perry coaching the secondary to a superbowl win. :hunch: (go figure)

like i emphasized with the pac man jones example, stats that one puts up on the field doesn not correlate to good teaching or mentoring skills. its as simple as that.

thats why you see players like jon kitna and trent dilfer carve out careers mentoring youngsters. jason garrett and gary kubiak. sean payton.

LITP...

Context is the key...

and this post grasps the true essence of this thread.

oh and paw-n-maul-u, in the original link to the text of the (short) interview is an audio link to hear the whole radio interview.

Livinginthe past
07-05-2007, 05:49 PM
my whole point is bill belichick, jon gruden, bill cowher and tony dungy, werent particularly "good at their position". infact they were so bad they never made it (gruden/belichick) or were very short term "career" back-ups (cowher/dungy). if what you say is true, how is it that all the sb winning head coaches recently were able to offer "helpful advice" to not only rooks but veterans too?

using your logic, 34 year old cowher shoulda had his "house in order" and atleast be able to crack the starting line-up before he started advising players like greg lloyd, and hardy nickerson how to play ball.

darren perry wasnt as great as carnell lake or rod woodson on the field, yet it was darren perry coaching the secondary to a superbowl win. :hunch: (go figure)

like i emphasized with the pac man jones example, stats that one puts up on the field doesn not correlate to good teaching or mentoring skills. its as simple as that.

thats why you see players like jon kitna and trent dilfer carve out careers mentoring youngsters. jason garrett and gary kubiak. sean payton.

and this post grasps the true essence of this thread.

oh and paw-n-maul-u, in the original link to the text of the (short) interview is an audio link to hear the whole radio interview.

There is one pretty large difference between Belichick and other coaches you mention - they aren't trying to get their playing career off the ground.

Sure Ike may well be some typing of teaching guru deep down, but im betting thats not what the Steelers are paying him for.

Maybe when he's retired from playing (like coaches normally are) he'll move onto sharing his extensive knowledge of how the game should be played, but until then they'll be expecting Ike to follow a disappointing year with a very good one.

The guys you mention - Kitna and Dilfer im guessing (correct me if im wrong) only really moved into the mentoring thing once they were of proper veteran service and were comfortable enough with their own games to help others.

I can honestly say that I would be saying the same if Ellis Hobbs was doing the same thing in New England - and thats after having a good year, last year.

tony hipchest
07-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I can honestly say that I would be saying the same if Ellis Hobbs was doing the same thing in New England - and thats after having a good year, last year.how can you say chad scott hasnt been doing the same with asanti samuel and ellis hobbes? :jawdrop: :tt02: was hank poteat forced to remain silent and live alone?

now i know you are a football fan. i just dont get how the concept of veterans tutoring the youngsters is such a foreign concept to you. if it was a distraction, the hundereds of paid professional coaches through the ages most definitely wouldnt allow it. i think most encourage it.

again, ike gave a rookie room and board, and would tell him "youre better than that" when he would drop a ball in practice. :hunch:

so let me see if i get this straight. good coaches who suck at players are able to become great tutors and mentors because they are no longer focussed on getting better as a player yet they are able to help others get better as a player? :huh:

cowher and dungy are looked at as inferior to belichick, yet thay have tutored and mentored more assistant coaches and helped them get head coaching jobs. is that just because belichick spends more time "getting his house in order"? if so, how do you explain bill walsh?

steelpride12
07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
ike talked the great talk,last year immediately after the superbowl, which had me scratching my head why he had a subpar year in the 1st place. other than being a great teammate, role model, and giving great effort, ike cant prove being a great cornerback without his performance on the field.

he needs to look no further than fred smoot to see where his future with the steelers lies if he doesnt get it done on the field. however i gotta think tomlin likes his chances better with taylor than he did with smoot.

(smoot is now in washington making randel el and archuleta type $$$)

well of course we have to wait and see how he does but everything is proving he is mad bout last year and is out to prove and unproven point!

Preacher
07-05-2007, 10:44 PM
well of course we have to wait and see how he does but everything is proving he is mad bout last year and is out to prove and unproven point!

I sure hope that is true. As I have said in other threads, I was one of the ones calling for his and all the other DB's heads... However, I am ready to give him another chance. With the changes out there... and the attitude I see him show, well, I am anxious to see if he can turn it around.

GBMelBlount
07-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Agreed Preach. Regarding Ike, IMHO he has great potential. 4.3 40, tall, long arms, prototypical CB in fact. May need to focus on mental mistakes of last year but has great potential & I also think could potentially be in top 5. Excited.

tony hipchest
08-29-2008, 08:59 PM
:bump:

all i can say is anthony madison better make this team. mad props to ike taylor for taking him under his wing and showing him the ropes. ive got much respect for ike. his value to this team has been greatly underappreciated but people are starting to get on board..

in the last 2 preseason games madison has shown that "suddenness" that mike tomlin loves, and hasnt been seen on steelers special teams since james harrison or brett keisel (and we know what happened to those dudes after a few years of being a special teamin' demon).

as far as the clown, interloper, wannabe savant in this thread, what ever happened to that dude?

oh, thats right.... :banned:

:toofunny:

fansince'76
08-29-2008, 09:14 PM
STILL find it unbelievable that the pompous jagoff was once a MOD here.... :shake01:

GBMelBlount
08-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Tony Hipchest

all i can say is anthony madison better make this team. mad props to ike taylor for taking him under his wing and showing him the ropes. ive got much respect for ike. his value to this team has been greatly underappreciated but people are starting to get on board..

I agree tony. Ike had a very good year in 2005. Only about half the passes thrown at him were completed I think.....2006 he had some glaring mental mistakes. So I think it was just a matter of cutting down on the mistakes....he did last year. I was a little surprised to see so many people kicking him to the curb without giving him a season to rebound. Tough crowd.....

43Hitman
08-30-2008, 06:18 AM
STILL find it unbelievable that the pompous jagoff was once a MOD here.... :shake01:

I stopped coming around so much when he became a mod. I honestly thought it was the beginning of the end for this forum. I am sure glad I was wrong. Props to you and HTG for taking back the reins and fixing the bs.

:tt02: :drink: :tt02: