PDA

View Full Version : Nate Washington released.. WTF!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2005, 05:56 PM
http://www.steelers.com/article/57013/

Steelers Re-sign Batch, Release Rookie Receiver

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers announced today that veteran quarterback Charlie Batch has signed a contract and will rejoin the team. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Batch, an eight-year veteran who made the Steelers? 53-man roster coming out of training camp, was released last Saturday (Sept. 10) so the team could add depth at linebacker for its season opener versus the Tennessee Titans. He will serve as the Steelers? third quarterback.

Batch was released by the Steelers so the team could sign rookie outside linebacker Andre Frazier, who was on the team?s practice squad. Frazier, an undrafted rookie from Cincinnati, registered two tackles, his first career sack and forced a fumble against the Titans.

The Steelers made room for Batch on their roster by releasing rookie wide receiver Nate Washington, an undrafted rookie free agent from Tiffin (Ohio). Washington made the Steelers? 53-man roster after leading the team with eight receptions for 108 yards (13.5 avg.) in the preseason.
-----------------------------------------

This really sux IMO !! I really wanted to see what he could do for us. Hopefully they'll stick him on the practice squad atleast. !

clevestinks
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Man this kid will get swept up by somebody. We should have gave him a chance. My biggest worry is, is ther something wrong with Ben and or Tommy. Why do we need three qbs this week? And not last week?

Suitanim
09-13-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Fred Gibson...he just disappeared...if nobody picks him up, I think we owe him a couple million bucks...

TasmanianTroy271
09-13-2005, 06:11 PM
LAME

but the upside is that they're keeping Andre Frazier on the 53-man roster....

but still LAME

SteelR1
09-13-2005, 06:27 PM
WOW,, this is one of those, zero or hero moves!!!!!!!!!!

Koopa
09-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Fred Gibson...he just disappeared...if nobody picks him up, I think we owe him a couple million bucks...

gibson went signed with the miami ps. damn this is retarded what the hell do we need three qbs for? what are the chances of both ben and tommy going down the exact same game. hell it'll be hard for ben to go down cause he ain't ever throwing the ball. i hope nate signs with the practice squad

tootalltoscore
09-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Releasing and resigning Batch was of course a roster move to avoid paying him a bonus due, several teams did it.

Still it is worrying that the Steelers have decided to risk losing Washington, that 53 man squad must be really tight if they decided to risk cutting him.

He looked pretty good pre-season and I for one saw him as a positive for our future........... fingers crossed now..............

Suitanim
09-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, toot is thinking along the same lines that I am...$$$!

If the Dolphins picked up Gibson, they also picked up his entire contract...makes sense. He's a GA boy, so he stays close to home, warm weather, all that...

Batch is insurance and still trade bait, even if it's for next year. At this point I'm willing to trust the FO...I think they know what they are doing...

Prosdo
09-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Not the news I wanted to hear. I really like Washington and hope he is put on the PS.

TasmanianTroy271
09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
3 WRs on our practice squad? i'm kinda doubtful, i think we're gonna have only 2 WRs on it, but im not saying Washington won't make it :P

Suitanim
09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Washington made the team, and Young made the PS...I'd guess they cut Young loose.

SteelR1
09-13-2005, 08:30 PM
I'll put my faith in the Steelers decisions, but damn, this is just puzzling!!!

Koopa
09-13-2005, 08:36 PM
yeah this is puzzling but i guess it don't really matter it's not like washington was going to touch the field anytime this year. but either will batch, i don't know, oh well just as long as we keep winning i don't care what they do.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2005, 08:43 PM
I'd drop one of the current WR's on the PS and definately put Washington on there. This year has been some of the toughest cuts yet. I guess they figure they have insurance w/ Morgan signed now to give them 4 good WR's and then have Morey available..but still, I really really wish we'd have kept this guy.

Koopa
09-13-2005, 08:54 PM
i hope we can resign him at some point, he might be our next willie parker next year, cause we might lose EL to a bigger contract

bigbensgirl7
09-13-2005, 09:04 PM
The guy I work with that is really good friends with Nate is calling him and letting me know what the Steelers are saying, and if they are trying to sign him to the practice squad. I'll keep everyone informed...I really hope we can hang on to him, because I think he could turn into be something special in a year or two!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Wow that's awesome..as soon as you know something, let us know !! :cheers:

Ambridge
09-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Unbelieveable!! :shake01:

I think Nate has the potential to make a name for himself in the NFL.
I'd be very suprised if he clears waivers......someone is going to grab him.

I can't believe there isn't some extra fat on the roster to get rid of so we could keep him.

BB2W
09-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I am pretty upset about losing Washington... I hope he clears waivers and we can get him on the practice squad. :hope:

Prosdo
09-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Steelers | Washington Headed to the Practice Squad
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:12:38 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Pittsburgh Steelers plan to bring WR Nate Washington back to their practice squad Wednesday, Sept. 14, if another team does not claim him.

http://www.kffl.com/player/12152/NFL

I looked on www.steelers.com and it is only listing 7 players on the PS. So I guess they don't need to cut anyone. Hopefully he'll clear the waivers.

Koopa
09-14-2005, 12:49 AM
i think he'll clear waivers, his stock probably ain't that high cause he comes from a small school so teams are over looking him. i'm glad he'll be on our practice squad. hopefully late in the season when we have the division locked and we got our home field advantage through out he can be activated and get on the field a little

Da Boot
09-14-2005, 12:58 PM
I think he'll clear waivers too, at least I hope he does. I have a feeling once Duce and Bus and both able to play and the linebackers get healthy they might go back and resign Washington and cut Herron or Frasier, as long as Washington doesnt sign somewhere else.

clevestinks
09-14-2005, 03:14 PM
i wonder if releasing Washington means that Quincy Morgan is working out pretty good.

Blitzburgh55
09-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Bacth sux Nate is awesome y do we do we do this

BB2W
09-15-2005, 12:17 AM
WR Nate Washington cleared waivers and was signed to the practice squad yesterday afternoon. Washington made the 53-man roster but was released Tuesday so they could put quarterback Charlie Batch back on the roster. At some point, the club would like to re-sign Washington to their 53-man roster.

link...... http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05258/571803.stm

Koopa
09-15-2005, 12:19 AM
ok that's great news, good looking out bb2w

BB2W
09-15-2005, 12:21 AM
I agree, GREAT news. :smile:

There was at least five or six WR's released last week. I am glad we got him back!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2005, 12:22 AM
i wonder if releasing Washington means that Quincy Morgan is working out pretty good.

Probably a combination of that and there wasnt really anyplace else to steal a roster spot from for Frazier.

Im so glad we got him back on the PS. Now we gotta keep him there till we can sign his butt back onto the regular roster!

bigbensgirl7
09-15-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm happy to hear that! I was worried for a little bit! It means so much to my friend and he was saying how much Nate really loved the organization...I'm happy they got him signed to the PS.

Prosdo
09-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Definitely the news I wanted to hear. I want to see what Nate stick around for a while.

ironcitychef
09-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Considering we only threw 11 times period, I'd make room for a QB or LB too.

Steelersfan
09-16-2005, 02:37 AM
That's all we really needed to throw. You know they weren't gonna throw it in the 2nd half with a big lead. Hopefully we will keep it up! I would keep a great WR anyday over a 3rd string QB.