PDA

View Full Version : First Draft of The Year

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 01:46 PM
i jus finished my first fantasy draft of the year on yahoo. i usually do a couple early so prep me for when espn drafts starts and especially for the league my family does.
let me know how yall think i did

QB Philip Rivers
RB Larry Johnson
RB Marshawn Lynch
R/W Cadillac Williams
WR Lee Evans
WR Laveranues Coles
TE Ben Watson
K Jeff Reed
D/ST Minnesota

BN
DeAngelo Williams
Santonio Holmes
Dominic Rhodes
Vincent Jackson
Mike Bell
Chad Pennington
Dwayne Bowe
Marcus Pollard

Livinginthe past
07-02-2007, 03:54 PM
i jus finished my first fantasy draft of the year on yahoo. i usually do a couple early so prep me for when espn drafts starts and especially for the league my family does.
let me know how yall think i did

QB Philip Rivers
RB Larry Johnson
RB Marshawn Lynch
R/W Cadillac Williams
WR Lee Evans
WR Laveranues Coles
TE Ben Watson
K Jeff Reed
D/ST Minnesota

BN
DeAngelo Williams
Santonio Holmes
Dominic Rhodes
Vincent Jackson
Mike Bell
Chad Pennington
Dwayne Bowe
Marcus Pollard

Rivers is a shaky starter at QB - especially with the HC upheavel in San Diego.

Larry Johnson should be solid, but running 400 times in a seaosn is bound to hurt you sooner or later - as many fantasy 'guru's' will warn you - LJ is probably going to be expected to do the same this year under Herm and with a rook QB.

Lynch plays in division that plays the run reasonably well and im not sold on Buffalo's QB of the future.

Cadillac had a pretty big drop off last year, but the Bucs were poor on offense and had problems throwing the rock.

If he can stay fit he may be a better starter than Lynch.

Evans had a real breakout year in Buffalo and became the No.1 target for Losman - its probable he will have another good year (you should be aware that you are starting two Buffalo players on your offense - not a particularly good thing)

Coles is a nice pick up - him and Cotchery are pretty lively - if Pennington can stay fit this looks solid.

Im not sure Watson is such a great pick at TE - with all the extra weapons Brady potentially hs this year it could either open things right up for him (he was double teamed alot of last year) or he just might not see much of the ball.

Should be a decent red zone threat though.

Minnesota stuff the run but are weak against the pass - whether that changes now that Tomlin has left is anyones guess.

Santonio Holmes is a nice back-up to have - he may well outperform Coles and Evans this year - but again we dont really know where the Steelers offense is going this year (smash mouth or spread out).

Don't expect much from Dom Rhodes.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 04:59 PM
i picked up lynch because he is the guy i think will win the rookie of the year without a doubt. Adrian Peterson will end the year as a starter but wont get as many yards as Lynch thats why i took lynch over peterson but. i got rivers because he only had 9 interceptions in his first full year as a QB and i won a championship with rex grossman has my quarterback so this is a upgrade from last year i dont really expect much from rhodes he is really there for depth and lamont jordan was already gone.

Elvis
07-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I dont know about Rivers being a question livinginthepast... I think that he is a solid pick. He reminds me so much of Big Ben in a way. This young man is gonna be the real deal. Larry Johnson is a very solid pick in my opinion as well, he will have as good a year as last year and that was pretty darn good. I just believe that I would do my best to get Ladanian Tomlinson if any way possible. Coles I think will rebound this upcoming season nicely. Chad Pennington is a nice backup I think as well. He could end up having a nice year with the Jets. I just think that you could have done better on your defense and special teams though. This is fun though.. isnt it.. everyone has their own opinions and that is what the world is all about...
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
well wedo i would of done better on defense if some of those people showed up. one guy finished with 4 defenses

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
and i got the second pick i pitched a few deals to him for LT but he was set on LT

Livinginthe past
07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I dont know about Rivers being a question livinginthepast... I think that he is a solid pick. He reminds me so much of Big Ben in a way. This young man is gonna be the real deal. Larry Johnson is a very solid pick in my opinion as well, he will have as good a year as last year and that was pretty darn good. I just believe that I would do my best to get Ladanian Tomlinson if any way possible. Coles I think will rebound this upcoming season nicely. Chad Pennington is a nice backup I think as well. He could end up having a nice year with the Jets. I just think that you could have done better on your defense and special teams though. This is fun though.. isnt it.. everyone has their own opinions and that is what the world is all about...
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Rivers has the protection of a great running game in San diego - the best Rb in the NFL and the best back-up too.

Their O-line is very good at opening holes for the run.

I agree that Rivers will be the real deal - plenty on here didn't like him when he was drafted (side arm throwing, low release etc) but I liked what limited stuff I saw (youtube etc).

Its just that, in terms of fantasy football, where yards and TD's are key - I think he loses too many of both to LT and Turner - plus his WR corps is weak.

So, yeah, he's going to be a fine player - I just don't think he will b a very good FF option.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
yea i agree with

i still feel he is a better option than rex grossman

i hope his receiving corp isnt that weak cause i have vincent jackson on my bench

tony hipchest
07-02-2007, 05:32 PM
vincent jackson could very well be your sleeper wr and some valuable trade bait for maybe a better defense down the road. keep an eye on LJ's contract situation.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
im def looking for dealing one of my rb or wr for a better defense

verks36
07-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Rivers is a big gamble escpically with the weak back of chad who usually doesnt really get stellar fantasy numbers. Marshawn lynch is a good pick a larry jonhson is a stud. WRs are a little weak but you got a sleeper D in minnasota who had the number 1 rush defense last year so if your league rewards for low rushing totals that is good. Hopefully for you cadalac has a bouce back year and returns to his rookie form

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 05:53 PM
i think im set at qb i have three stud RB so i jus need a qb who wont cost me any points. neither rivers (only 9 picks last year) and pennington dont turn it over a lot

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 06:07 PM
im talking to a guy in the league and im pretty close to picking baltimore defense (before yall jump on me i play fantasy to win) and calvin johnson.

he is pretty weak at running back so im thinking if i give him minnesotas defense to replace baltimore and upgrade his running backs by giving him cadillac

Livinginthe past
07-02-2007, 07:11 PM
im talking to a guy in the league and im pretty close to picking baltimore defense (before yall jump on me i play fantasy to win) and calvin johnson.

he is pretty weak at running back so im thinking if i give him minnesotas defense to replace baltimore and upgrade his running backs by giving him cadillac

Im pretty sure you are taking that guy to the FF cleaners.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2007, 07:43 PM
well we know we prob will swap johnson and cadillac its jus im trying to improve my defense and he has two defenses so im trying to get one of them

Crushzilla
07-02-2007, 10:28 PM
well we know we prob will swap johnson and cadillac its jus im trying to improve my defense and he has two defenses so im trying to get one of them

Perhaps, baller, but please its always dangerous to have any sort of reliance on a rookie. The thing about Cadillac is that he is the featured back. While I do expect Johnson to have a solid year, Kitna has other very reliable options around him.

I almost always play a RB in the W/R slot considering the points are pretty standard. If Williams ends up getting a bulk of the load in Carolina then, yes, that is a steal, but you may find yourself very thin at RB, considering Rhodes and Bell will not be seeing feature back touches (at least at this point).

The Raiders didn't go broke on Rhodes' contract and they still have Lamont Jordon who may return to form with the addition of Barry Sims to that offensive line and, eventually this season, a quarterback that will actually make the passing game a threat. Just because he was a big acquisition for the Raiders he has only ever been, and will continue to be, a committee running back. According to reports, Michael Bush is looking VERY healthy.

Mike Bell? Its Denver. Don't ever rely on a RB on a Mike Shanahan team...

Just some things to consider before pulling the trigger. Though I do think this has potential to be a real steal.

Crushzilla
07-02-2007, 10:34 PM
P.S. Don't worry about Rivers too much. Unless your league is very deep, there is always a QB floating around in FA in the early weeks who can do enough. I usually wait until after my RBs and WRs to take a QB. So last year that left me with Culpepper or Brees. Culpepper or Brees. Culpepper or Brees... I had to make this decision AT LEAST 4 times. I took Brees ONCE.

GREAT idea. Still I was able to pull through by picking up FA QBs who did just enough. Romo here, Pennington there, even Rivers a few times... They do just enough most weeks as long as you exploit matchups. Championship.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2007, 07:29 AM
yea there are plenty of good enough QB to get me by

but that trade basically broke through couldnt agree on the trade

im hoping rhodes, d. williams and m. bell will pull through for me if one of my three studs go down with an injury