PDA

View Full Version : SI.com - AFC North: Training Camp challenges

Atlanta Dan
07-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Bucky Brooks of SI is a writer whom I regard as stating cohrrent opinions rather than just ranting. He has thoughts on challenges each AFC North team has going into training camp.

Excerpts from the Steelers challenges are as folllows:

Challenge No. 1: Handle the Alan Faneca situation

Challenge No. 2: Rebuild Ben Roethlisberger's confidence

Challenge No. 3: Blend elements of the "Tampa Two" into their traditional 3-4 defense

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/07/02/tc.preview.afc.north/index.html

With regard to Faneca, it may be wishful thinking, but I am assuming Faneca shows up for training camp and soldiers on to prepare for getting a FA contract with someone else next year (although i would not be surprised if he resigns as team captain).

One quote from Brooks is "As the captain of the team, he has several loyal supporters in the locker room who are carefully observing the situation, which puts Tomlin in a bit of a bind."

I assume he is referring to Ward, who knows his contract after this year is going to be renegotiated.

nicesteel4life
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
DANG! do you think SI could tell us something we already dont know, Man I could be writting for them if this is all there saying! LOL

Livinginthe past
07-05-2007, 02:27 PM
So, lets say Faneca has the team captaincy taken away from him - I can't imagine Tomlin allowing Faneca the psychological coup of actually resigning from the post.

Who becomes the new captain?

Is it Hines, one of the most outspoken members of the locker-room or will it be someone like Aaron Smith (who signed a long term contract recently) or Troy?

The Tampa 2 system is going to be quite a leap from the 3-4 in terms of available personnel - especially if you compare the body types/playing styles of the current Steelers to the Colts.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
So, lets say Faneca has the team captaincy taken away from him - I can't imagine Tomlin allowing Faneca the psychological coup of actually resigning from the post.

Is it Hines, one of the most outspoken members of the locker-room or will it be someone like Aaron Smith (who signed a long term contract recently) or Troy?

The Tampa 2 system is going to be quite a leap from the 3-4 in terms of available personnel - especially if you compare the body types/playing styles of the current Steelers to the Colts.

I agree with what you're about the Tampa 2.....But keep in mind the Steelers are not going to that defense full time...Just putting elements of that defense with their 3-4.......I think the Steelers have the corners to play a Tampa 2 style and with the drafting of Timmons.....there is a LB on the roster that can fit into that style as well.....So I think the Steelers will be fine if they mix elements of the Tampa 2 in.....On their sub packages on 3rd down the Steelers could have a front four of Woodley, Smith, Hampton and Keisel also......

steel#1
07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't know about anybody else but I'm psyched to get the season started. The off'-season is way to long. All I keep hearing from the players and the local team reporters is how optamistic and excited the players are. And of course the national reporters are pesimists, unless you're a fan of the Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Saints, or 49'rs. It's getting ridiculous, the rest of the teams may as well sit home since they don't stand a chance.
I can't wait to see the changes, cause after last year they needed to have things shaken up. My belief is that they were way to comfortable with Cowher and the status quo. I tend to have a lot of faith though in the front office--They've successfully navigated the NFL waters in the past and see no reason why that won't continue. I'm most excited to see what Lebaue and Tomlin scheme up with for the defense--I've heard that Lebeau is like a mad scientist, walking around scheming new plays and wrinkles,with a gleam in the eye that hopefully bodes well for a rejuvenated D. I think the team will do awesome this year--noone hated last years record more than the players. Go Steelers.

Atlanta Dan
07-05-2007, 03:24 PM

I cannot see Tomlin stripping Faneca of his captain's position unless a really messy holdout happens - that would be a pretty in your face slap; I think it has to be Faneca's call.

If Faneca steps down, my recollection is you usually get a captain from the D and another one from the O - cannot imagine it would be Hines, who continues to slyly lobby for the Porter/Faneca "old guard".

A likely suspect would be another o-lineman (Marvel Smith?) I know Ben would like the title but IMO his teammates still do not see him as much of a leader.

SteelCityMan786
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
DANG! do you think SI could tell us something we already dont know, Man I could be writting for them if this is all there saying! LOL

Yeah, that's for sure.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I agree with what you're about the Tampa 2.....But keep in mind the Steelers are not going to that defense full time...Just putting elements of that defense with their 3-4.......I think the Steelers have the corners to play a Tampa 2 style and with the drafting of Timmons.....there is a LB on the roster that can fit into that style as well.....So I think the Steelers will be fine if they mix elements of the Tampa 2 in.....On their sub packages on 3rd down the Steelers could have a front four of Woodley, Smith, Hampton and Keisel also......

I second the idea that we will not change into a Tampa 2 full time. If we were why would LeBeau still be on the coaching staff.

shevdog
07-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Bucky Brooks of SI is a writer whom I regard as stating cohrrent opinions rather than just ranting. He has thoughts on challenges each AFC North team has going into training camp.

Excerpts from the Steelers challenges are as folllows:

Challenge No. 1: Handle the Alan Faneca situation

Challenge No. 2: Rebuild Ben Roethlisberger's confidence

Challenge No. 3: Blend elements of the "Tampa Two" into their traditional 3-4 defense

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/07/02/tc.preview.afc.north/index.html

With regard to Faneca, it may be wishful thinking, but I am assuming Faneca shows up for training camp and soldiers on to prepare for getting a FA contract with someone else next year (although i would not be surprised if he resigns as team captain).

One quote from Brooks is "As the captain of the team, he has several loyal supporters in the locker room who are carefully observing the situation, which puts Tomlin in a bit of a bind."

I assume he is referring to Ward, who knows his contract after this year is going to be renegotiated.

Seems to be all good outsider points. Ben is fine. The new offensive play set needs to be worked out. The offense has a lot of weapons now, even though it ain't the 2004-05 smash mouth, pound the ball Steelers (with da Bus). I'm sure the offense will all work out.

I hope Troy will be quick to the gun this year, to the same level as previous years. Defense still needs a threat like Troy that can come out of no-where at any time. I'm not sure how the d-line will be this year. They have talent in play, minus Porter. I think if the d-line is weak this year, teams will have their way offensively against us.

Doesn't matter if our offense can put up big numbers, cause its too easy to loose in a shoot-out. Thing I will miss are the defensive struggles that Cowher brought to the table. Hopefully now we'll still keep the opponents out of the end zone and score enough to make for some dull games that launch us into the playoffs.

Preacher
07-23-2007, 07:27 PM
I second the idea that we will not change into a Tampa 2 full time. If we were why would LeBeau still be on the coaching staff.

Yep...

that seems like a logical argument to me!