PDA

View Full Version : Best athlete for each uniform number (historical, multi-sport)

Mosca
07-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Interesting choices; most controversial here will be Brady over Bradshaw at #12, but I can't disagree with the logic applied.

Edit: I'm going to change that and say that the choice of Ray "I dint see nuthin'" Lewis over Mike Webster is the most controversial of the entire 100 numbers.

And for us, I'd say the choice of Robin Roberts over Jerome Bettis is a bit puzzling.

And, as much as I like Roberto, Ladanian Tomlinson, Deion Sanders, and Warren Spahn all wore #21.

Most candidates for a particular number: #32: "Marcus Allen, Jim Brown, Steve Carlton, Julius Erving, Magic Johnson, Franco Harris, Sandy Koufax, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal and O.J. Simpson all wore 32."

Link to article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/06/26/intro.numbers/index.html)

fansince'76
07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Magic Johnson over Jim Brown for jersey #32? Sorry, don't think so - but then again, it's SI.

I can buy the part of the Brady/Bradshaw argument stating that Brady has less talent around him, but saying the NFL is more competitive now than in the '70s is ludicrous.

EVERY division in the NFL in those days had a "neighborhood bully" - Dolphins (AFC East), Steelers (AFC Central), Raiders (AFC West), Cowboys (NFC East), Vikings (NFC Central), Rams (NFC West).

Also factor in that in 1975, the AFC Central alone had THREE teams (out of four) with at LEAST 10 wins - how many divisions can you say that about in the NFL recently? But like I said, it is SI.

tony hipchest
07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I can buy the part of the Brady/Bradshaw argument stating that Brady has less talent around him, but saying the NFL is more competitive now than in the '70s is ludicrous.

EVERY division in the NFL in those days had a "neighborhood bully" - Dolphins (AFC East), Steelers (AFC Central), Raiders (AFC West), Cowboys (NFC East), Vikings (NFC Central), Rams (NFC West).

Also factor in that in 1975, the AFC Central alone had THREE teams (out of four) with at LEAST 10 wins - how many divisions can you say that about in the NFL recently? But like I said, it is SI.im more in line of this frame of thinking. the article seems to assume brady will not suffer an injury or decline and has atleast 2 more superbowls left in him (he may/he may not).

personally i would put jim kelly and bradshaw ahead of him at this point. if kelly has vinatieri he has atleast 1 ring and brady never faced the likes of the 90's cowboys (or 70's) as his superbowl foe. eagles, panthers, just dont cut it. ans short of 1 drive (great coaches decisions) and 1 kick, his perfomance against st louis wasnt anything special (steve mcnairs final drive in the previous superbowl in a losing effort was much more spectacular)

im gonna have to take more time to go through the whole article. its a good one. i definitely liked that they atleast mentionned dale earnhardt with babe ruth as #3. a little suprised they even uttered the words adam vinatieri along with brett farve as runner up for #4 :dang: (farve = only 3XNFL MVP)

Mosca
07-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Still: Ray Lewis over Mike Webster?

Never. Not even outside of the Steelers rationale.

How about Lambert and Ham taking consecutive 58 and 59, though? Pretty cool.

Tom

Crushzilla
07-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Rod Woodson in a Raiders jersey is a joke as well...

Let's hope the HoF doesn't share SI's view...

So Hines Ward is worthy of consideration for the greatest to ever wear a number ever, but not for Prisco's HoF consideration?

Mosca
07-05-2007, 08:22 PM
And Stargell should have been in the "Contenders" for #8.

Tom

PisnNapalm
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
BAH..... #12 given to Tom Brady. Of-****ing-course. God knows it's a mortal sin to say Terry Bradshaw is better than Tom Brady. All I have to say is #58 better be Jack Lambert or I'm really gonna be pissed off.

#21 Roberto Clemente. Can I get an "Amen"?

#26 Rod Woodson <Cheesy that they used a Raider uniform pic.
#30 Nolan Ryan <== Not Pittsburgh related but I always liked him as a pitcher.
#36 did not go to Jerome. damn...
#47 Mel Blount Wo0t!!
#52 Ray Lewis over Iron Mike?? "Put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer." growl....
#58 J A C K L A M B E R T !! Booyeah!!
#59 J A C K H A M !! Damn right!!
#66 Mario Lemieux As it should be.
#68 Jaromir Jagr Wo0t! L.C. Greenwood is the runner up.
#70... Ernie Stautner is a worthy consideration...
#75..... (shakes his head and mumbles wtf?) Deacon Jones? really? over Mean Joe?
#82... John Stallworth is the runner up. SHAZBOT!
#86 .... Hines Ward is the runner up. dammit!