PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar in 2007?

Virginia Steeler
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Anyone else like the fact that the Steelers are being predicted by most to finish 3rd in the AFC North? I like it -- I feel like the Steelers always do better when the preseason mags don't have them winning the division..What do these journos know anyways...They have a favorable schedule - the not so tough NFC West, Miami and Jax at home and of course the Browns twice.

Don't forget that as bad a season as last year was for the Steelers , they were 8-8, BUT arguably were a couple plays away from 10-6 (Atlanta and Oakland - easily winnable) - plus the 1st Cincy game (up in 2nd half and fumbled a punt - Cincy scores 14 points in like a minute) -- that's how close they were to 11-5!

This year I think Big Ben comes in and is 100% physically fit as well as - key word - mentally fit. I think Willie Parker is ready to become a star in the NFL and I think Tomlin is going give the team a much needed kick in the pants.

I was very skeptical about this season a few weeks ago, but now I am super pumped -- a little over 9 weeks to go!!!!

FastWillieParker39
07-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I AGREE 100%!! I can't stand other fans just writing us off so easily as well as magazines. People don't look at what happened with the Ben situation and Cowher not really caring as much. But we were still ONE WIN away from making the playoffs.

I think we will be a wild card team and make the playoffs. Then next year you will hear the same crap from fans that we shouldn't make the playoffs but we prove em wrong again.

steelpride12
07-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Anyone else like the fact that the Steelers are being predicted by most to finish 3rd in the AFC North? I like it -- I feel like the Steelers always do better when the preseason mags don't have them winning the division..What do these journos know anyways...They have a favorable schedule - the not so tough NFC West, Miami and Jax at home and of course the Browns twice.

Don't forget that as bad a season as last year was for the Steelers , they were 8-8, BUT arguably were a couple plays away from 10-6 (Atlanta and Oakland - easily winnable) - plus the 1st Cincy game (up in 2nd half and fumbled a punt - Cincy scores 14 points in like a minute) -- that's how close they were to 11-5!

This year I think Big Ben comes in and is 100% physically fit as well as - key word - mentally fit. I think Willie Parker is ready to become a star in the NFL and I think Tomlin is going give the team a much needed kick in the pants.

I was very skeptical about this season a few weeks ago, but now I am super pumped -- a little over 9 weeks to go!!!!

ya its always nice to be the underdog and i def think ben wil come out and as long as our O-line sticks up we will have a great season and prob. go 11-5, 12-4! just look at our superbowl season we were under the radar the whole season and look at our shiny new ring!

steelpride12
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I AGREE 100%!! I can't stand other fans just writing us off so easily as well as magazines. People don't look at what happened with the Ben situation and Cowher not really caring as much. But we were still ONE WIN away from making the playoffs.

I think we will be a wild card team and make the playoffs. Then next year you will hear the same crap from fans that we shouldn't make the playoffs but we prove em wrong again.

well your not a tru steeler fan if u right your own team off if your a tru steeler fan u love them no matter wat!

SteelerFanInCA
07-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, I love the role of the underdog as well. I think that's when we play best. Here's to the upcoming season and proving everyone wrong yet once again. :cheers:

steelpride12
07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Yes, I love the role of the underdog as well. I think that's when we play best. Here's to the upcoming season and proving everyone wrong yet once again. :cheers:

:cheers:right back at u bud!

section514
07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
its amazing how people forget how close we were to 11 - 5.:dang: For having gone through what Ben had to endure, he did not do that bad if you think about it. I would be a bit gun shy too if I hit a windshield head first :banging: and then had an organ removed. I think our O-Line will have to step it up just a bit and they will be a bit young too. (the center position will be the key point on the line). Defensively I am excited to see what Labeau and Tomlin come up with. Our LBs will have to become a perfect conversion of veterans and rookies.:thumbsup: (not that I want to curse our draft picks, but Kendrell learned fast, he just got hurt all the time). Announcers and those terrible pregame shows :blah: will cut us down every chance they get and when we are in the Super Bowl (i hope) they will just act like they new we would be there. I will continue to listen to the games on the radio, if i am not at the games (as long as they are not delayed too long with the TV broadcast) so that I don't have to listen to the likes of John Madden. I will be excited for the game on 9/30. The ex-steelers will not defeat us. I want our D to shred Grim's O-line and send Big Matt on his back :ididwhat:as much as possible. Doubt us all you want, I know a :tt02:NATION:tt02: that won't

Mosca
07-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Never forget that pre-season talk is just that--talk. A plan of battle never lasts past the first shot.

Most pundits themselves admit that pre-season predictions are almost totally worthless. The best of them go back and compare their predictions to the final results and laugh, and they usually laugh at the predictions every year.

As far as "under the radar": for the people that matter, the coaches and player of the Ravens, Bengals, and Browns, I guarantee you the Steelers are not "under the radar".

And, we weren't as close to 11-5 as you might think. Margins of victory in the NFL are usually pretty slim, and many games turn on a small handful of plays. The Steelers were as far from 11-5 as any other 8-8 team. We weren't special or different in that regard.

Tom

HometownGal
07-05-2007, 05:07 PM
its amazing how people forget how close we were to 11 - 5.:dang:

Close doesn't cut it hon - their record last season was 8-8 and there were many factors playing into that record, not just Ben's problems on and off the field (injuries). You win as a team and lose as a team and I'd have to say that the 2006 Steelers lost at least 7 of those 8 games as a team. This season, with a new set of coaches who seem extremely motivated, energetic and ready to rumble, I believe we are going to see a huge rebirth. I don't believe they will win the AFCN, but I do believe they will WC their way into the playoffs and make the Bungles their beyotches once again. :tt02:

The Duke
07-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I'm glad we are under the radar, so when the time comes and no one expects it we will kick everyone's ass and make them regret they underestimating Ben

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
As much as I like to the Steelers getting respected throughout the league, I believe the team plays better when the odds are against them or at least when their not on anyones radar. I think they will thrive off this and make it to the playoffs this year and maybe to the Superbowl. We'll see how accurate these preseason ratings are when the opening game comes around...

steelpride12
07-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I'm glad we are under the radar, so when the time comes and no one expects it we will kick everyone's ass and make them regret they underestimating Ben

Duke :crying01:your word are so strong thank u!

TackleMeBen
07-05-2007, 10:57 PM

yeah what he said :cheers:

Galax Steeler
07-06-2007, 04:54 AM
I don't mind being underdogs but how could the bungles be in front of us.

SteelerWatch
07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
In defense of the sports journalists (did I really just say that?) you have to think about what they have to work with:

1) An 8-8 team with a big question mark at QB and a very disgruntled #1 O-lineman
2) New coach and largely a new staff
3) New offensive playbook
4) Some aging veterans (Farrior, Faneca, Ward)

That said, I agree that we were a handful fewer mistakes away from the playoffs. We would have been in had we not tried so hard to lose to the Raiders, for instance. We also have a new coach who is getting exceptionally high buy-in from his players, a number of whom were the biggest critics of the front office's decision in the beginning. We also have an offensive coordinator who was largely responsible for Peyton Manning's breakout season, and who turned manage to make even the Browns' offense a formidable force in 2002 (anyone else watch the Jan. 2003 Steelers/Browns playoff on the NFL Network this week?). We have a proven defense, and a secondary that has a renewed desire to improve themselves on the field (they've been working out together in Miami with an awesome trainer).

And the biggest thing of all: the team was brought back down to earth last season. The Super Bowl hangover is gone, and these guys have been written off. The underdog role works well for a blue-collar team. Just think back to 2005: the lowest seed in the AFC, and they went through three powerhouses and the NFC's best team to win XL. Or go back another year, when they were written off after Maddox got hurt in week 2. That game was Ben's first NFL action, and he was one errant interception in his first big-league appearance from the Steelers going undefeated that year.

I think a lot of people will be eating crow after the season. Especially when McNair goes down with the inevitable injury and the Bungles do what they do best.

TackleMeBen
07-06-2007, 11:58 AM
and the Bungles do what they do best.

get arrested??? (wishing for some handcuff smilies to insert) :flap:

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, I wouldn't have expected high praise after going 8-8.

After last season, I'll definately take and welcome with opens arms the lack of attention and praise.

FastWillieParker39
07-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Well, I wouldn't have expected high praise after going 8-8.

After last season, I'll definately take and welcome with opens arms the lack of attention and praise.

Then how come the Ravens always used to get praise from 00-05 every year when some of those years they didn't make the playoffs before? l would think that Sports Journalists would know our history of proving people wrong and take a chance on us because we are the Steelers.

Not only that but you would also think that a lot of them would have saw all the problems that happened last year that shouldn't happen this year.

SteelerWatch
07-06-2007, 07:16 PM
We are talking about NFL journalists here. It's not like they have very long memories or anything. At best, they can remember clearly what happened two games ago. Beyond that, even remembering their children's names gets tricky for guys named Peter King and Pete Prisco, among others.

Preacher
07-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I love the fact thatt no one is looking at us.

What a surprise it will be when we have a 1500 yard rusher... two receivers both over 1000 yards in receiving, and a defense ranked in the top five in overall d.

Put a marker on this one boys and girls.... Please refer to it in January after the last game!

steelpride12
07-07-2007, 12:50 PM

hahahah ahahah ahahaha :toofunny:cant stop laughing cant stop!

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Then how come the Ravens always used to get praise from 00-05 every year when some of those years they didn't make the playoffs before? l would think that Sports Journalists would know our history of proving people wrong and take a chance on us because we are the Steelers.

You haven't heard the story? All the sports journalists from around the country gathered around a dark secret location and held a meeting about 25 years ago. The result of that meeting.......all sports journalists will automatically hate the Pittsburgh Steelers. It was called Operation Media Hate. True story. :wink02:

Not only that but you would also think that a lot of them would have saw all the problems that happened last year that shouldn't happen this year.

Well, from what I've heard (from LLT), there are a number of media magazines who are praising us and picking us to go far which kind of has me confused when it comes to the media supposedly putting us down. Personally, I really don't care what some yahoo in SI or at ESPN has to say, but apparently many others seem to care.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-07-2007, 06:38 PM

:flap::sofunny::toofunny::sofunny::flap: Hilariously true:thumbsup:

Elvis
07-07-2007, 06:54 PM
I also like the fact that we are gonna be underdogs at the beginning of the season, but by mid-season... we are not gonna be underdogs anymore... a few key plays is always to say here where we are sitting right now isnt it?... We lost those games fair n square... as badly as we could have ever played in the Cowher history vs the Raiders in my opinion. A new coach and some questions at OL will be my biggest test for the team in my opinion. I think that Tomlin can come in here and have the same results Cowher did.. because this team will be hungry to prove last year was just a fluke thing...

steelpride12
07-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I also like the fact that we are gonna be underdogs at the beginning of the season, but by mid-season... we are not gonna be underdogs anymore... a few key plays is always to say here where we are sitting right now isnt it?... We lost those games fair n square... as badly as we could have ever played in the Cowher history vs the Raiders in my opinion. A new coach and some questions at OL will be my biggest test for the team in my opinion. I think that Tomlin can come in here and have the same results Cowher did.. because this team will be hungry to prove last year was just a fluke thing...

dam right :thumbsup:

FastWillieParker39
07-07-2007, 09:16 PM
I also love talking to my other friends who are huge NFL fans and say how the "Steelers fell back to reality" and how "we were lucky in 05." Ahh it pisses me off sometimes but then there are others where I just shrug it off.

Preacher
07-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I also love talking to my other friends who are huge NFL fans and say how the "Steelers fell back to reality" and how "we were lucky in 05." Ahh it pisses me off sometimes but then there are others where I just shrug it off.

Just remind that in five years, we were in the playoffs four and the AFC championship game three times. SB winners once.

yeah, fell back to earth.

steelpride12
07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Just remind that in five years, we were in the playoffs four and the AFC championship game three times. SB winners once.

yeah, fell back to earth.

u preach well my good man! :cheers: