PDA

View Full Version : McClatchy to step down as CEO

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Pirates' McClatchy to step down as CEO later this year
Friday, July 06, 2007

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kevin McClatchy will step down as the Pirates' chief executive officer after the current baseball season, the team announced today, and the search for his replacement will begin immediately.

McClatchy, 44, was the front man of the group that bought the Pirates in 1996 and remained the principal owner until January of this year, when chairman of the board Bob Nutting supplanted him. After that, McClatchy's lone title was that of CEO.

He also has served on several boards for Major League Baseball, including its executive council, international committee and labor committee.

McClatchy and Nutting made the announcement to team employees this morning at PNC Park.

"A decision of this personal and professional magnitude is not the type you make overnight," McClatchy said. "It was something Bob and I had discussed even before the change of control took place in January and something I decided upon a few months ago. It was a difficult decision but, in the end, I felt the time was right to step down as the day-to-day leader, so the organization can move forward with a fresh perspective."

"I respect Kevin's decision, and I'm pleased he will continue to actively lead the franchise until the end of the season," Nutting said. "Announcing this decision now as opposed to the end of the season will allow for enough time to conduct a thorough search. It will give us an opportunity for a smooth transition into a new chapter in the history of the Pittsburgh Pirates."

Nutting said it was too early to discuss potential candidates for the job.

"Finding the new leader of the organization is the most important decision I will make in my first year as the principal owner of the franchise," he said. "Finding the right person for the position is far more critical to me than how quickly we find a successor."

Nutting praised McClatchy for his contributions to the Pirates, in particular his work in keeping them in Pittsburgh by pushing to have PNC Park built.

"It is important that we all recognize and respect the positive impact that Kevin has had on the ball club and the city of Pittsburgh," Nutting said. "Simply put, without his leadership, the Pirates would not be playing in Pittsburgh."

"I have worked hard for more than 11 years in the best interest of the Pittsburgh Pirates, our fans and the community and will continue to do so," said McClatchy. "I have confidence in this team. We have played better recently and remain focused on having a strong second half."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07187/799784-100.stm

Buzz05
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
THANK YOU GOD!!!!

Now maybe the Pirates wont be the laughing stock of Baseball

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
As long as Nutting is still calling the shots I don't see a damn thing changing with that poor excuse for a MLB franchise. One moron out of the equation, one more still in charge.

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 10:37 AM
As long as Nutting is still calling the shots I don't see a damn thing changing with that poor excuse for a MLB franchise. One moron out of the equation, one more still in charge.
WE WILL... continue to bank on false hope sold to the fans. :rolleyes: any possibility the parrot or one of the pierrogis can take over?

SteelCityMan786
07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
One of them is gone. One more to go.

The Duke
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
So, is this a good thing? I'm still trying to get more into the team and a change of CEO might mean better future right?

SteelCityMan786
07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
So, is this a good thing? I'm still trying to get more into the team and a change of CEO might mean better future right?

I would say somewhat better. How much better is the question.

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Well, I don't think you can get much worse than McClatchy. It is a step in the right direction, but I just don't see much changing while Nutting is holding the check book. Just my opinion.

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 12:08 PM
how bout the guy who directed "the parrot" sopranos spoof as a replacement? if he can get a bunch of overstuffed mascotts to so closely resemble the sopranos, maybe he can get all the fill-in actors the pirates employ to actually resemble a baseball team.

Edman
07-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Addition by Subtraction.

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Addition by Subtraction.

lol, basically sums it up very nicely. :smile:

section514
07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
nutting has owned the team for a while, he just got put into the head position, i think that they need to get someone out of the organization to fill his spot, someone who knows what it is like to be a winning team, maybe Andy Van Slyke haha I say give Bob Walk the Job

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Also, for what it's worth, from the Tribune-Review........

What do you think of Kevin McClatchy stepping down as Pirates CEO at the end of the season?

This will turn things around - 6%

Good first step, but Nutting must follow him - 61%

Won’t make a difference - 32%

Bad for the Pirates. He saved the franchise - 1%

Total Votes: 85

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Wow, I almost cried after reading this today. Kevin hit my soft spot with this one.....

Dear Pirates Fan:

Today I announced that I will be stepping down as the Chief Executive Officer of the Pittsburgh Pirates at the end of the 2007 season.

A decision of this personal and professional magnitude is not something you make overnight. It was something Bob Nutting and I have discussed even before the change of control took place in January and something I decided upon a few months ago. It is a difficult decision, but I felt the time was right to step down as the day-to-day leader of this franchise so the organization can move forward with a fresh leadership perspective.

I will remain as the active leader of the organization until the end of the season.
This will give the organization an opportunity to conduct a thorough search to find
my successor and ensure a smooth transition into the next chapter of Pirates history.

I have worked hard for more than 11 years in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Pirates, our fans and the community and will continue to do so. Nobody within the organization has given up on this season. I have confidence in this team. We have played better recently and remain focused on having a strong second half.

Thank you for your continued support of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I hope to see you at PNC Park during the second half of the season.

Sincerely,

Kevin McClatchy
Chief Executive Officer
Pittsburgh Pirates

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 12:43 PM
We have played better recently and remain focused on having a strong second half.

Hey!!! I never heard that one before!!!!

SteelCityMan786
07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey!!! I never heard that one before!!!!

This is actually true though this time.

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 01:35 PM
This is actually true though this time.

Since the Pirates main goal every year is to play half a season, remaining focused remains to be seen.

Crushzilla
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Since the Pirates main goal every year is to play half a season, remaining focused remains to be seen.

Hey, if we win out the rest of the season...

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey, if we win out the rest of the season...

Kevin is that you? :wink02:

Crushzilla
07-06-2007, 03:18 PM

Haha... nooooo...

Its just that us fans have worked hard for more than 11 years in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Pirates and the community and will continue to do so.

I'm sure that nobody within the organization has given up on this season. I have confidence in this team.

They have played better recently and remain focused on having a strong second half.

:wink02:

SteelCityMan786
07-06-2007, 07:08 PM

It sounded just like him.

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Haha... nooooo...

Its just that us fans have worked hard for more than 11 years in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Yeah, I saw that last night. A half full ball park on a beautiful and comfortable Friday night. Although I don't think they were giving anything away last night.

It would be nice to have a "Kevin McClatchy Money Givaway Night". That way, I can at least make back some of the money I blew on that team before I finally said "enough". But I don't think that would fly with the likes of Nutting and McClatchy....lol.

SteelCityMan786
07-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I saw that last night. A half full ball park on a beautiful and comfortable Friday night. Although I don't think they were giving anything away last night.

It would be nice to have a "Kevin McClatchy Money Givaway Night". That way, I can at least make back some of the money I blew on that team before I finally said "enough". But I don't think that would fly with the likes of Nutting and McClatchy....lol.

They'd give you fake money with him as the president on the bill.

Tonight there should be a good crowd. It's Beach Towel Night.

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Tonight there should be a good crowd. It's Beach Towel Night.

Yeah. I heard there will also be a Pirate sunglasses night in the near future. How appropriate for some....:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
07-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah. I heard there will also be a Pirate sunglasses night in the near future. How appropriate for some....:toofunny:

Some of us could use them.

HometownGal
07-07-2007, 10:39 AM
HALLELUJAH!!!! :banana:

Unfortunately, however, the Nuttings are still in charge and until they are ridden out of town on a rail, nothing is going to change. Wonder who their new scapegoat will be?

fansince'76
07-07-2007, 11:13 AM
HALLELUJAH!!!! :banana:

Unfortunately, however, the Nuttings are still in charge and until they are ridden out of town on a rail, nothing is going to change. Wonder who their new scapegoat will be?

I'll take the job as overpaid scapegoat for the Nuttings. I'm not even that big on baseball, but it appears knowledge of the game isn't really a prerequisite for the job.

SteelCityMan786
07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I'll take the job as overpaid scapegoat for the Nuttings. I'm not even that big on baseball, but it appears knowledge of the game isn't really a prerequisite for the job.

Heck, I'd take that job if they wanted me to. I'd be spending big money for Players. If we can get a Ray Shero of Baseball then We'd be set.

Crushzilla
07-07-2007, 05:30 PM

Actually it was "Floppy Hat Night."

I was there.

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Actually it was "Floppy Hat Night."

I was there.

Sweet!!! LOL!!!! :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2007, 05:33 PM
but it appears knowledge of the game isn't really a prerequisite for the job.

Not with this 'organization'. If you know how to screw people over and lie, you'll do just fine here. You seem like a very nice guy though fansince'76, I don't think you would be cut out for the job...lol.

Crushzilla
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Sweet!!! LOL!!!! :toofunny:

You have no idea... Its REVERSIBLE, too. You guys just keep enjoying that boycott, I'll be sitting here looking like a jackass in my floppy hat. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2007, 05:36 PM
You guys just keep enjoying that boycott, I'll be sitting here looking like a jackass in my floppy hat. :thumbsup:

Don't worry, "WE WILL". :sofunny::cheers:

fansince'76
07-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Not with this 'organization'. If you know how to screw people over and lie, you'll do just fine here.

Never mind, I have this little thing called a conscience that would probably get in the way....

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Never mind, I have this little thing called a conscience that would probably get in the way....

Last I heard, Nutting's going after his son.....the anti-christ.

HometownGal
07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
I'd be spending big money for Players.

Not with the Nuttings holding the checkbook you wouldn't. Those mofos squeeze that nickel until it sh its.

SteelCityMan786
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Not with the Nuttings holding the checkbook you wouldn't. Those mofos squeeze that nickel until it sh its.

Not If I don't become commissioner of Baseball first and refusing to let the CBA Pass without a salary cap. Also using eminent domain on Pirates Ownership and selling it to a top notch owner.