PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Linebacker Corps All-Time

LambertIsGod58
07-06-2007, 01:48 PM
This is how The NFL Network has it:

10) Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Darren Sharper (2000 Ravens)

9) Tom Jackson, Joe Rizzo, Randy Gradishar (Denver Broncos late '70's)

8) Matt Millen, Ted Hendricks, Rod Martin (Oakland Raiders early '80's)

7) Greg LLoyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, Chad Brown (Steelers Mid 90's)

6) Ray Nitschke, Leroy Jaffey, Dave Robinson ( Packers Late '60's)

5) Mike Singletary, Wilbur Marshall, Otis Wilson (Bears Mid 80's)

4) Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, Jim Lynch ( Chiefs Late 60's)

3) Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Carl Banks ( Giants Mid 80's)

2) Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Andy Russell ( Steelers 70's)

1) Pat Swilling, Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson

LambertIsGod58
07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Lambert, Ham and Russell accounted for 25 Pro Bowls and won TWO Super Bowl Titles together. What has New Orleans ever won? I can't figure out how they came up with this order....Just more bias against our Steelers IMO!

VolatileMan
07-06-2007, 02:04 PM
In all fairness (remember Im a huge Steeler fan) that core from the Saints was SICK!

As far as what did they ever win, what the hell did they have for an offense? Bobby Heburte.

Compare thiers to the offense the Steelers had in the 70's!!

It is a close call, but I cant argue with the Saints crew being number 1 (on the topic of linebacking corps)

Just my $.02
VolatileMan

fansince'76
07-06-2007, 02:24 PM
I think it's interesting to note that the Saints LB corps is the only group in that list that never even at least made it to a Super Bowl.

Atlanta Dan
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Glad to see the Chiefs LBs on the list - since the Steelers were not competitive until 1972 and I needed a team to root for during the playoffs after the Steelers season always ended I picked the Chiefs over the Raiders/Jets alternatives in the late 60s/early 70s (AFL was a much more entertaining game than the pound the ball NFL of that era). Christmas Day Chiefs/Dolphins OT playoff game ranked among my earliest memories of great playoff games.

The Saints LBs seem like a nice contrarian choice as top LB corps, but the point is to win something; it is like picking Marino as the all time greatest QB. I would pick the LT Giants LBs or Ham/Lambert/Russell over the Saints.

Crushzilla
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Lambert, Ham and Russell accounted for 25 Pro Bowls and won TWO Super Bowl Titles together. What has New Orleans ever won? I can't figure out how they came up with this order....Just more bias against our Steelers IMO!

I gotta agree with LiG here. We get snubbed all the time with these things.

:banging:

F it. I'll take the Lombardi's that team won over this guy's rankings...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 02:50 PM
:banging:Yeah NFL Network really dropped the ball on this one Russell, Ham, and Lambert should definitly be number 1 on this list.

verks36
07-06-2007, 03:02 PM
I think it's interesting to note that the Saints LB corps is the only group in that list that never even at least made it to a Super Bowl.

that is a good point

I dont see how in the world they cant put that crew #1. Come on you can knock roethlisberger all you want but there is no way you can knock are amazing linebacking core. I think winning has to factor in to. If there linebacking core was o great they should have had something to show for it. Come one the steeler curtain.

boLT fan
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
that is a good point

I dont see how in the world they cant put that crew #1. Come on you can knock roethlisberger all you want but there is no way you can knock are amazing linebacking core. I think winning has to factor in to. If there linebacking core was o great they should have had something to show for it. Come one the steeler curtain.

Winning the superbowl is a team thing, just having a good LB core doesn't guarentee you anything. Are you going to say Domonic Rhodes is better than LT because he won a superbowl? I was never alive during those two groups of LB's, so I can't say a whole lot but using the superbowls as a way to say your LB's are better is a bad argument.

verks36
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Winning the superbowl is a team thing, just having a good LB core doesn't guarentee you anything. Are you going to say Domonic Rhodes is better than LT because he won a superbowl? I was never alive during those two groups of LB's, so I can't say a whole lot but using the superbowls as a way to say your LB's are better is a bad argument.

No i am just saying if they are that good why dont they have anything to show for it?

Here is my argument if you trade places with the steelers linbacking core with the saints one would the steelers have won both those superbowls?

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 04:58 PM
1) Pat Swilling, Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson that was a killer group of LB's and definitely deserve recognition high on this list... but im not sure i can even say they were better than the 90's steelers.

they way these lists seem to go, you can almost count on it that when theres a defensive line list, the 70's steelers will probably come in 2nd to buddy ryans eagles led by jerome brown and reggie white.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I think the Saints LB corp deserve to be in the top 10 of this list......But noway number 1........Its crazy to have the Saints ahead of both Steelers LB corps....The Giants and Chiefs LB corps.....I think those four corps are better then the Saints......

jjpro11
07-06-2007, 08:31 PM
#2 and #3 sure had some scary dudes i would not want to stare down if i were a qb.

jjpro11
07-06-2007, 08:32 PM
that was a killer group of LB's and definitely deserve recognition high on this list... but im not sure i can even say they were better than the 90's steelers.

they way these lists seem to go, you can almost count on it that when theres a defensive line list, the 70's steelers will probably come in 2nd to buddy ryans eagles led by jerome brown and reggie white.

if the steel curtain gets snubbed for the #1 spot then you should just ignore every other list the nfl network ever puts out.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-06-2007, 11:30 PM
I really don't care for these stupid lists.It's just filler because there is no football news.

However,we are the only team to be on this list twice,so I feel that speaks a lot for the defenses we have had.

I would also have to say the Porter/Farrior/Foote/Haggans combo we had in the 2005 Super Bowl Team was pretty damn good too.

Elvis
07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Great Point...

greenparrot
07-08-2007, 12:43 PM
No i am just saying if they are that good why dont they have anything to show for it?

Here is my argument if you trade places with the steelers linbacking core with the saints one would the steelers have won both those superbowls?
Absolutely YES. You can also say that if the Steelers LB's were on the Saints roster instead of our 4 the Saints would not have won 1 additional playoff game. We did not win more because of our defense...it was always the offense...and the 49'ers also. The Steelers has hall of fame/pro bowlers all around them...offense & defense which the loss of any component would have made winning those SB's problematic.

No doubt the Steelers were great.....but we'll take any kind of recognition we get.

Good luck in 07!

GBMelBlount
07-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Absolutely YES. You can also say that if the Steelers LB's were on the Saints roster instead of our 4 the Saints would not have won 1 additional playoff game. We did not win more because of our defense...it was always the offense...and the 49'ers also. The Steelers has hall of fame/pro bowlers all around them...offense & defense which the loss of any component would have made winning those SB's problematic.

No doubt the Steelers were great.....but we'll take any kind of recognition we get.

Good luck in 07!

I kinda agree. Not to say the 70's Steelers LB's werent't the best. But, LB's are just a few out of 22. For arguments sake, were the Saints soooo bad that if you gave them the top LB's of all time (Lambert, Taylor, etc.,) is it possible that they still might've sucked? :hunch:

Crushzilla
07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I just saw it today and they actually say at the beginning that it is also an inspection of SB victories and Pro Bowl appearances, as well as how they meshed with the other defenders as well which makes me lean toward the Steelers ever more...

rbryan
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
How many of the saints made the HOF? The majority of the media will disrespect the Steelers any chance they get. Its been a process, more of a 12 step plan, but I've managed to not only disregard but choose to not watch most of this crap anymore.

Having said that, I watched this one. I'm thinking about changing to Comcast just so I won't have the option of watching the NFL network anymore.

greenparrot
07-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I kinda agree. Not to say the 70's Steelers LB's werent't the best. But, LB's are just a few out of 22. For arguments sake, were the Saints soooo bad that if you gave them the top LB's of all time, is it possible that they still might've sucked? :hunch:actually....during the prime of these 4 linebackers the Saints had pretty good teams with very good defenses. Offense was always the problem. What we could nave used from great Steeler teams was maybe Bradshaw, Swan & Franco....now that may have made o difference.

Godfather
07-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Not sure it was anti-Steelers bias. We were the only team to make the list twice, and the Top Ten Draft Classes had the 1974 Steeler draft as #1.

They said the reason the Aints were the best is they didn't have great D-line, secondary, and offense to help them like we did. But I still have to say Ham-Lambert-Russell was better than the Dome Patrol.

49erFaithfull
07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Look, I think were all misunderstanding the pre-requisites of this list..

I just registered here, although I read it from time to time just so I can respond.

I thought the list was pretty darn good. You're never going to make anyone happy.

Pre-Reqs Used:
Pro-Bowls
# of players in Pro Bowls
Help ( if any )
What players thought

Everyone who knows anything about playing defense in the NAtional Football League knows a linebacker can't do squat without an effective, not great, but just effective Defensive Line. I.E. Ray Lewis 2003 - 2005 VS when he had Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

If anyone here even dares to name a D-Lineman from the Saints in those years where all 4[B] of the Dome Patrol went to the Pro Bowl, you really need to get a life. Dont forget, those were the years where guys like Lawrence Taylor was running around. Making a Pro-Bowl in the NFC was no pancake. To send [B]4 was insane.

The Superbowl yadda yadda is exactly that.... yadda yadda. When we're measuring success in Football from such an individualistic standpoint how can you bring up the ULTIMATE team prize?

The 4 years the Dome Patrol was together, they went to the Pro Bowl. No other team in the history of the League has ever sent more then 3, besides them. Throw in the fact they had 0 help up front, I'd say that sums up the difference right there.

This is not to take anything away from the Steelers, but they called it the Steel Curtain and not the LInebacker Curtain for a reason....... If you didnt lose your head with both the Greens and Co., you got it bitten off by the linebackers.

All in all I loved the show, good to hear from old players.

silver & black
07-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Glad to see the Chiefs LBs on the list - since the Steelers were not competitive until 1972 and I needed a team to root for during the playoffs after the Steelers season always ended I picked the Chiefs over the Raiders/Jets alternatives in the late 60s/early 70s (AFL was a much more entertaining game than the pound the ball NFL of that era). Christmas Day Chiefs/Dolphins OT playoff game ranked among my earliest memories of great playoff games.

The Saints LBs seem like a nice contrarian choice as top LB corps, but the point is to win something; it is like picking Marino as the all time greatest QB. I would pick the LT Giants LBs or Ham/Lambert/Russell over the Saints.

Does that Chiefs - Dolphins game still hold the record for the longest game ever played?

RoethlisBURGHer
07-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Here is the thing Atlanta Dan of why SB Championships were not part of how they were picked: FOOTBALL IS A TEAM SPORT.

Championships equal greatness in sports like golf and tennis.

In baseball,basketball,hockey,and football championships are team accomplishments.

You can't tell me that Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino...that Dominic Rhodes is better than Sanders...just because Dilfer and Rhodes have rings.