PDA

View Full Version : Steeler's most indispensable player?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
What's up guys. So I was just on ESPN.com and one of their surveys got me thinking who is Pittsburgh's most indispensable player? I was just wondering who you guys thought our most imprtant player is....:tt02:

Newzfoxjr
07-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Eh...Willie? Troy? I have no idea...=o

fansince'76
07-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Just my opinion, but gotta go with Troy at this point.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Troy is the best Safety and most disruptive defensive player in the league....He gets my vote.

stlrtruck
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Gotta be the Tazmanian Devil - Troy

pittsburgh$teelersfan
07-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Troy without a doubt

MACH1
07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Troy or Ben. Take your pick

Crushzilla
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I'll tell you who is most dispensable... Nate Washington...

To answer the question, though, it has to be Troy.

Not to take away from Ben, but I can think of other QBs who could run this offense just as well (if not better). I can't do the same at the Strong Safety position.

Livinginthe past
07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
My vote would be for Ben.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is the Steelers best player , but I believe him to be the most important.

The Steelers have had great defensive units through alot of their recent history - but it wasn't until they brought on board a QB capable of doing what was required to win in the clutch that they actually got the ring.

If Troy got injured, it would mean some reshuffling in the DB's - if Ben went down it would probably mean a whole new philosophy on offense.

QB is by far the most important position on the team.

Virginia Steeler
07-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I think it is Troy Polamalu hands down. I think that regardless of what the "experts" at espn, fox, cbs might think, Troy is among the 5 best defensive players in the NFL.

oldschool
07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Troy gets my vote.

I still remember his first interception that he ran back for a touchdown against the Bungles, at home,
I think he ran through every player on their team. You could tell from the onset that he was just not going to be denied. He continues to have that game changing ability.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I think it is Troy Polamalu hands down. I think that regardless of what the "experts" at espn, fox, cbs might think, Troy is among the 5 best defensive players in the NFL.

Well aparently a lot of America thinks so too because Troy was voted number 1 on Pittsburgh and over 40,000 voted at this point.

BTW Parker wasnt even one of the candidants.:hunch:

Elvis
07-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Big Ben is my most important player on Offense..
Troy Polomalu on Defense..
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

lilyoder6
07-06-2007, 03:59 PM
on def i think troy as well and maybe hampton.. he does one hell of a job at nose tackle which is a very hard pos... and makes the middle hard to run in.

LambertLunatic
07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Obviously, Ben and Troy are our most indispensable players long term, but Faneca is the most indispensable for this coming season. If Ben got hurt in training camp (God forbid), Batch could still lead us to the playoffs. Likewise, our defense can still be a force even without Troy. Our O line is already suspect, so losing Faneca for the season would do the most damage to the team in 07. We have some young O linemen that are ready to step up and start (at least we're hoping they're ready), but without the vet leadership of Faneca, our O line (and therefor our entire offense) is totally screwed.

revefsreleets
07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
My vote would be for Ben.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is the Steelers best player , but I believe him to be the most important.

The Steelers have had great defensive units through alot of their recent history - but it wasn't until they brought on board a QB capable of doing what was required to win in the clutch that they actually got the ring.

If Troy got injured, it would mean some reshuffling in the DB's - if Ben went down it would probably mean a whole new philosophy on offense.

QB is by far the most important position on the team.

This is exactly right. The Steelers lacked one thing in all those "near misses" during Cowher's tenure, and it was a real top caliber QB. And this will be Ben's break-out year where he truly shines as an elite NFL QB. I mean no disrespect to Hines Ward or Troy or James Farrior, but I think that given the importance of the position, and the comparitive weight of responsibility, Ben is the best player on our team.

Mosca
07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Huh. I think there's no question it's Ben Roethlisberger. A guy like him only comes along once in a generation, and with a little luck he lasts 10-15 years.

As great as Troy Polamalu is, he is replaceable, and at the rate he's using himself up I give him maybe 5 more good years.

Tom

stillers4me
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I gotta go with Ben, too. No Ben........no Superbowl XL. No Ben ...... well, just look at last year.

Revefsreleet is right.......until Ben came along, all Cowher had was a bunch of other great players.........but no one to lead them to the promised land.

HometownGal
07-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd have to say Troy, but LITP is right here - Ben is the general of the offensive unit and though Batch is a capable backup, I wouldn't feel very comfortable with him behind center if, God forbid, Ben was to suffer a season-ending injury.

OneForTheToe
07-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Obviously, Ben and Troy are our most indispensable players long term, but Faneca is the most indispensable for this coming season. If Ben got hurt in training camp (God forbid), Batch could still lead us to the playoffs. Likewise, our defense can still be a force even without Troy. Our O line is already suspect, so losing Faneca for the season would do the most damage to the team in 07. We have some young O linemen that are ready to step up and start (at least we're hoping they're ready), but without the vet leadership of Faneca, our O line (and therefor our entire offense) is totally screwed.

I would agree with that. Faneca and big Snack are the most indispensable.

tony hipchest
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM
i think im with LITP, revefsreleets, and mosca on this one. historically in the draft, teams knew not to even worry about a safety in the 1st round and it is only a recent trend that safeties are being drafted in the 1st 15 picks (thank polamalu for changing this trend though- he exemplifies the importance of the position).

we and the nfl have had many great teams in the past but nobody has peeled off 13 wins in the same (regular) season, and nobody has won a sb at a younger age than ben. akili smith or cade mcnown (or even pennington or grossman) wouldve been able to accomplish the same on the steelers teams the past few years.

a case must be made for willie parker though. (edge still goes to big ben - rb's are shorter lived and easier to find). he can easilly have more carries than the qb has pass attempts in any given game, and is trully a "gamebreaker". there are a definitely a few qb's who can be said to have better skill sets than big ben, but not that many who have what willie brings to the table.

Preacher
07-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Most indispensable...

To me, that means, when he is out, the team suffers more then they would with anyone else....

So, Troy? Nope, Our D played pretty well without him. I agree he is our best player.. but I am not sure most indispensable... Same with Ben.

So who has the biggest drop off if they are out?

I gotta say Fast Willie. Here is why...

Say we are playing in the SB... and you had to play the backups in a position....

Would you rather play one of our backup safeties in the place of Troy?
Would you rather play Batch in Ben's place?
Or would you rather play one of our RB's in Willie's place?

I gotta say Willie is the most indispensable.

While I like Faneca... We have a couple of backups that I actually trust... so the drop off wouldn't be nearly as bad as it would be with the RB.

Preacher
07-06-2007, 07:55 PM
i think im with LITP, revefsreleets, and mosca on this one. historically in the draft, teams knew not to even worry about a safety in the 1st round and it is only a recent trend that safeties are being drafted in the 1st 15 picks (thank polamalu for changing this trend though- he exemplifies the importance of the position).

we and the nfl have had many great teams in the past but nobody has peeled off 13 wins in the same (regular) season, and nobody has won a sb at a younger age than ben. akili smith or cade mcnown (or even pennington or grossman) wouldve been able to accomplish the same on the steelers teams the past few years.

a case must be made for willie parker though. (edge still goes to big ben - rb's are shorter lived and easier to find). he can easilly have more carries than the qb has pass attempts in any given game, and is trully a "gamebreaker". there are a definitely a few qb's who can be said to have better skill sets than big ben, but not that many who have what willie brings to the table.

Dang you Tony....

I started my post before you... Stop stealing my thoughts!!!:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
07-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Dang you Tony....

I started my post before you... Stop stealing my thoughts!!!:wink02:

HACK !!!!! :toofunny: just kiddin preach

Preacher
07-06-2007, 08:26 PM
HACK !!!!! :toofunny: just kiddin preach

No your not!!

:sofunny:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Ok I think Ben, Troy, all have solid cases and I can't say you're wrong if you go with one of those guys....

But I have to go with Willie Parker....If he goes down with serious injury then the Steelers are screwed and basically will be picking in the top 10 next year if not worse.....I think if Ben went down then Batch could keep this team around 500 or so........

As for Troy true we couldn't do the same things on defense with Troy not in there....But the Steelers have solid depth at safety....Whoever doesn't start at FS probably could take over at SS if Troy went down...Then there is also Tyrone Carter is a solid backup....

If Parker went down that leaves Dookie, Barlow, Haynes,Kuhn or Russell.......I don't think any of those guys could take the balk of the carries and be effective on a consistent basis....We all saw last year that Willie Parker could carry the rock over 300 times in a season....Those guys are nothing more the RBs that could fit into a rotation with Willie Parker......

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Ok I think Ben, Troy, all have solid cases and I can't say you're wrong if you go with one of those guys....

But I have to go with Willie Parker....If he goes down with serious injury then the Steelers are screwed and basically will be picking in the top 10 next year if not worse.....I think if Ben went down then Batch could keep this team around 500 or so........

As for Troy true we couldn't do the same things on defense with Troy not in there....But the Steelers have solid depth at safety....Whoever doesn't start at FS probably could take over at SS if Troy went down...Then there is also Tyrone Carter is a solid backup....

If Parker went down that leaves Dookie, Barlow, Haynes,Kuhn or Russell.......I don't think any of those guys could take the balk of the carries and be effective on a consistent basis....We all saw last year that Willie Parker could carry the rock over 300 times in a season....Those guys are nothing more the RBs that could fit into a rotation with Willie Parker......

I was thinking Willie too but the survey had five guys Faneca, Ben, Troy, Ward, and Hampton. How can they not add the guy who won the team MVP in the previous season?:dang:

The Duke
07-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Definitely Willie

Stlrs4Life
07-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Ben, Troy, flip a coin.

TackleMeBen
07-06-2007, 10:53 PM
i would have to go with willie parker (man that kills me to say that b/c he played at unc).

i have trust in batch to come in and do a good job if something were to happen to ben.

but i dont think we really have a capable back up for willie if he were to get hurt and go down. (please correct me if i am wrong on this one.)

ShutDown24
07-06-2007, 11:27 PM
1. Troy

2. Willie

3. Ben

RoethlisBURGHer
07-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Willie Parker,hands down.

If Ben goes down,I trust Batch can lead the offense.

If Troy goes down,I trust that one of free safteys could take over.Yeah,we can't do the same things,but our defense won't destruct.

If we lose Willie Parker,our offense would go down.He is our running game,we no longer have Jerome Bettis to carry the load.His backups are just that,simply backups.They couldn't rotate with each other and make a defense afraid of them.

tony hipchest
07-07-2007, 12:30 AM
with a healthy ben, and o- line to block for him, i actually feel pretty good with dookie, barlow, and haynes on 3rd down.

pitt
07-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Troy

Preacher
07-07-2007, 02:12 AM
with a healthy ben, and o- line to block for him, i actually feel pretty good with dookie, barlow, and haynes on 3rd down.

At this point, I can't say that.

However, I am ready and willing to be wrong this season!! :wink02:

Please... let me be wrong!

Galax Steeler
07-07-2007, 04:54 AM
I say troy on d and ben on o.

suprasad
07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Tough question for this kid...Troy is the best DB is the league, in my humble opinion, but Ben is so deadly when he's moving out of the pocket and looking downfield. Also, I believe Willie's speed makes the screen pass as dangerous as a bomb...

Can I say Troy, Ben AND Willie?? :dang:

vasteeler
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
for the same reasons most of you have givin it has to be fast willie
and thats scarey because he is all we have in the back field if (god forbid) he gets injured
we are really going to suffer

Mosca
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Guys,

If Roethlisberger goes down for a game or two, OK.

But, what about down for forever?

If Polamalu goes down forever, we can replace him within a couple years. Same with Faneca, same with Parker. Not so with Roethlisberger.

It took OVER 20 YEARS to replace Bradshaw. Franchise QBs come along once in a generation.

Tom

lilyoder6
07-09-2007, 01:03 PM
u do make a great point about ben... but everyone is indespensible at some point in there career.

The Duke
07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
u do make a great point about ben... but everyone is indespensible at some point in there career.

True. I we lost someone forever the most indispensable would be Ben

Preacher
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Guys,

If Polamalu goes down forever, we can replace him within a couple years. Same with Faneca, same with Parker. Not so with Roethlisberger.

It took OVER 20 YEARS to replace Bradshaw. Franchise QBs come along once in a generation.

Tom

Your point is very interesting. A number of years ago, under Cowher, I don't think it would have been a question.... QB would have NEVER been picked, as we didn't really EVER depend on a QB.

Maybe we have to answer another question first, how much of the run game will be showcased in Pittsburgh over the next 10 years under Tomlin? If the run game continues to diminish in Pittsburgh, then it may be Ben. However, if we start depending more on the run game again, then I will have to still lean with Willie.

Short term (season long), I gotta say Willie though. Long term... sure, i may go with Ben.

SteelerFanInCA
07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I would have to say it's Ben. I think it might be a little more difficult to replace him as opposed to Troy.

LambertIsGod58
07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I'll tell you who is most dispensable... Nate Washington...

To answer the question, though, it has to be Troy.

Not to take away from Ben, but I can think of other QBs who could run this offense just as well (if not better). I can't do the same at the Strong Safety position.

I couldn't agree more....There's nothing I enjoy more than to read a post by an unbiased fan. I truly believe we could do without Ben. I'd have to go with Troy too....

vader29
07-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Guys,

Tom

That's my feeling also, it's so nice to not have to worry about who is going to be the starting QB for the season at every training camp.

ben2hines=6
07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
im gonna go another way with this answer and im gonna go with casey hampton.....this guy IS the reason our run defense is so good along with the pass rush.....casey takes atleast two players on the offensive line away every play, without that our backers who def, are great but not the most athletic in the league might get swallowed......so while it is hard to argue with troy im gonna go with hampton

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Troy...now lets get him signed

Preacher
07-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Let me point out something that may not be obvious here...

Notice that we are actually discussion not one, not two.. but three or four guys here. Some could still argue that it would be Ward, what with his leadership skills and blocking down field.

This is after we lost Jerome after last year, Porter this year, and probably Faneca next year...

It sure says a lot about the team... and also about how the team is run. Anyone now upset that we didn't dump all that money into just one or two players?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Notice that we are actually discussion not one, not two.. but three or four guys here. Some could still argue that it would be Ward, what with his leadership skills and blocking down field.

This is after we lost Jerome after last year, Porter this year, and probably Faneca next year...

It sure says a lot about the team... and also about how the team is run. Anyone now upset that we didn't dump all that money into just one or two players?

Good point. The orgainization is a stable one and after loosing players like the ones stated above it seems that we hardly miss a beat.

The Duke
07-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Troy...now lets get him signed

We need to sign him big time, so he is definitely indispensable.

TackleMeBen
07-10-2007, 11:00 PM

that is an excellent point, Peacher. I am sure glad we didnt dump all that money on one or two guys. Usually when they get big money, they get hurt and no longer valuable to the team.

klick81
07-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Sucks reading the truth :banging:

SteelerWatch
07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm a little late on this one...but his last name starts with P, ends with U, and has OLAMAL in the middle :) He *is* Steeler football. Two years ago I would have said Ward, but now I have been shown the light. After all, Hines ain't no Samoan Warrior. :)

steelpride12
07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
it has to be ben. the whole team needs someone and a leader like him!

harrison'samonster
01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
A few years down the road, would most people still agree with earlier posts? I think this season show's how important Ben is to this team. Troy was ineffective or out this season, but we were pulling it together and only fell apart after Ben's injury.

Before this year I would have put Ben and Troy together, but now I think it's got to be Ben.

Also, how nice would it be to have a runner like FWP who produced yards

Fire Arians
01-26-2013, 10:16 PM
heath miller

steeltheone
01-27-2013, 12:46 AM
im gonna go another way with this answer and im gonna go with casey hampton.....this guy IS the reason our run defense is so good along with the pass rush.....casey takes atleast two players on the offensive line away every play, without that our backers who def, are great but not the most athletic in the league might get swallowed......so while it is hard to argue with troy im gonna go with hampton

4 years ago maybe!

steeltheone
01-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Other than BR7 maybe Ike Taylor.

bornaSteelersfan
01-27-2013, 03:35 AM
There can be no doubt after this season that without a healthy Big Ben, we are doomed.

TRH
01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Lawrence Timmons
Ben R.

WVABE
01-27-2013, 06:16 AM
I finally caught on this was an old thread when I saw Faneca's name.

Gotta be Ben if he's healthy.

steelerchad
01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
I can't believe everyone is saying Troy. I love the guy, but he hasn't made a big play in 2 years. He's a shadow of himself and we can win without him. Without Ben, we are a 4-12 team at best. Now Troy is a better safety than Ben is a QB, but the importance of the QB position + the fact that we have no one to come off the bench and lead this team makes Ben by far the most indespensable player.

I know Batch beat the Ravens. But our QB play and offense in those 3 games were dismal.

Just ask yourself one question. If we are getting ready to play in this SB next week, Would you rather go into the game without Ben or without Troy.

So you get Batch and Troy or Ben and Ryan Mundy?

woops. Just realized this thread is over 5 years old.

Steelers5895
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
That is easy. Ben

Can't win without a franchise quarterback but can win with a back up safety or any other position