PDA

View Full Version : FA KR signs with Steelers

Livinginthe past
07-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Nothing to get too excited about, I know, but I didn't see it reported anywhere else.

Competition for Willie Reid?

Dan Sheldon went to bed Thursday thinking his professional football playing days could be over, but by Friday afternoon his career was alive and well.

The Northern Illinois graduate and former Courier News Player of the Year from Burlington Central said he began making plans for life after football after being cut by the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday. Those plans were put on hold, though, when he was claimed off waivers by both the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles on Friday.

Per NFL rules the team with the worse record last season wins his rights, meaning that he is now property of the Steelers, who finished 8-8 in 2006.

"This has probably been one of the craziest weeks I've ever been a part of," Sheldon said. "After what happened Tuesday when I thought that could have been it, I was just thrilled to have anything on the table. Then I have two teams trying to claim me off waivers."

Sheldon will report to the Steelers' training camp July 23 in Latrobe, Pa., where he will try to earn a spot on the team as a kick returner. If Sheldon ends up signing with the Steelers it will be his fifth different team since joining the Arizona Cardinals in 2005 as an undrafted free agent out of college.

Sheldon has never played in a regular-season NFL game, but he is hoping that he can quickly impress first-year Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and his staff. Sheldon is encouraged by the fact that the Steelers have five preseason games, which is one more than most NFL teams.

Pittsburgh opens its preseason schedule against New Orleans in the Hall of Fame Game at 7 p.m. on Aug. 5 in Canton, Ohio. The game will be televised on NFL Network.

"Having that extra preseason game is always good for a guy trying to make it to the NFL because that is an extra game to get seen," Sheldon said. "The more times I can put that jersey on the better. It's getting to that point where every time I get to put it on it's a pleasure."

Sheldon is coming off a solid stint with the Cologne Centurions in NFL Europe. Despite being hampered by a strained left hamstring, Sheldon managed to finish second in the now-defunct league in kickoff returns with an average of 25.1 yards. His punt-return average of 10.6 yards was good for third in the league.

Despite that success, the Falcons decided against retaining Sheldon -- who signed with the team in February. After returning to the U.S. two weeks ago, Sheldon went to Birmingham, Ala., for rehab before returning to the Chicago area last week.

On Monday, Sheldon flew to Atlanta for a meeting with team doctors. He left thinking he was in the clear, but the next day he received the news he'd been cut.

"For some reason I was the guy they decided to let go, but who knows, maybe it will work out better this way," Sheldon said.

The news caught Sheldon and his agent off guard, and with most NFL rosters already solidified Sheldon began making plans beyond football. He scheduled a trip to California to meet with a friend about a potential business venture, but that is no longer in the works after Friday's developments.

"It's hard to get surprised in the NFL," Sheldon said. "I was upset and disappointed when I got cut by the Falcons, but it's hard to be surprised because sometimes you're in a great position and it doesn't work out and sometimes you think it's over and you get another chance."

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/sports/459186,3_2_EL07_B1SHELDON_S1.article

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I beleive this sighning was for nothing more but competetion. Coach Tomlin wants to push these guys and I dont blame him after last years disappointing season. I like this sighning because if nothing else it adds depth to our return position and we dont have to reley on one guy.

Crushzilla
07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Does this mean Santonio is out of a job on STs?:pity:

The Duke
07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Hope this motivates Willie to heal faster, I want to see him returning kicks like he did in college

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM

I think so. With Ward aging, Holmes will be the Steelers number 1 WR of the future and normally you dont use you number 1 wideout on special teams. Its just to risky.

The Duke
07-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I think so. With Ward aging, Holmes will be the Steelers number 1 WR of the future and normally you dont use you number 1 wideout on special teams. Its just to risky.

Yeah,and....the fumbles:jawdrop:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Exellent point:thumbsup:

fansince'76
07-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Camp fodder.

Elvis
07-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I hope so... but I just hope that Willie Reid will be our main man at returning all kicks... nothing against Holmes.. but as well as he played at the end of last year and the plans for him being our other starting WR across from Hines.. I think that the less he is on the field on special teams.. the better... Injuries are not good....
:tt02:

Preacher
07-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Camp fodder.

Probably...

But I sure hope he surprises everyone and actually make it...

Kinda like Parker being considered camp fodder a couple years ago.

tony hipchest
07-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Probably...

But I sure hope he surprises everyone and actually make it...

Kinda like Parker being considered camp fodder a couple years ago.well we only have 53 spots. i'd much rather see willie reid just heal, than some kicked around udfa make it. the odds are on willie. i think his chances are much greater as a third round pick, and a stand out on a premier college program.

what about the "beer man" m. lewis? from new orleans? if we were lacking in conficence in willie, im sure he woulda been quickly snagged up.

MasterOfPuppets
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
i believe the poor guy has just been set up for another let down....:pity:

Mosca
07-07-2007, 07:08 PM
We're a better team if the KR guy can also do something else; he'd better be a DAMN good KR to carry a roster spot for that alone.

Tom

steelpride12
07-07-2007, 08:04 PM

dont even bing them up!:banging:

Galax Steeler
07-08-2007, 06:38 AM
what worrys me is the fact this is the 5th differnt team he has played for.

The Duke
07-08-2007, 12:07 PM
what worrys me is the fact this is the 5th differnt team he has played for.

Yeah, that too, but he says he's never lost the dream to become an nfl player. I kinda feel bad for him

SteelCityMan786
07-08-2007, 12:21 PM

Could be. Most likely not though.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Well I would like to see Willie Reid win the job also...I think he could be a great return man if healthy...But so far he hasn't shown to be tough enough for the NFL with his nagging foot injuries....The Steelers also have Chris Jackson in camp.....he was undrafted and shined at a small school but he has some talent....I don't know about this new guy picked up...But the Steelers need somebody to become the man on returns.....As for Holmes he got better as the year went on and fumbled less.....But I still would like him to concentrate on being a WR....

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Well I would like to see Willie Reid win the job also...I think he could be a great return man if healthy...But so far he hasn't shown to be tough enough for the NFL with his nagging foot injuries....The Steelers also have Chris Jackson in camp.....he was undrafted and shined at a small school but he has some talent....I don't know about this new guy picked up...But the Steelers need somebody to become the man on returns.....As for Holmes he got better as the year went on and fumbled less.....But I still would like him to concentrate on being a WR....

Well said:thumbsup::iagree:

Livinginthe past
07-08-2007, 06:26 PM

Holmes appears to have 'genuine No.1 WR qualities' - even though he may 'officially' be the No.2 guy.

I think these guys are often given PR/KR duties to help them feel involved in the game and get 'up-to-speed' with the pro's - Holmes looks like he has pretty much done that this past year.

There should be a No.4/No.5 WR guy to take that position from him now.

SteelCityMan786
07-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Holmes appears to have 'genuine No.1 WR qualities' - even though he may 'officially' be the No.2 guy.

I think these guys are often given PR/KR duties to help them feel involved in the game and get 'up-to-speed' with the pro's - Holmes looks like he has pretty much done that this past year.

He probably will be the number 1 receiver once Hines retires.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

One problem though if nobody steps and if Willie Reid continues to have health issues then Holmes will be called upon to return kicks once again...I'm not as worried about Holmes in the return game he improved as the year went on last year......I just rather him be a WR then do both......I hope Reid stays healthy and if not Chris Jackson can show something in camp/pre-season...

ricksteelers55
07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
I think it is more of a insurance policy in case that Willie Reid is not 100% ready in time.Holmes is out of the Special Teams,but I agree with you that I wouldnt give a precious spot on the roster to that guy unless is very special.

And besides that,I hope they dont cut Davenport to free up spaces for Sheldon,cause Davenport can be use as the returner,3rd down back,and short yard back if we need him.

Livinginthe past
07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
One problem though if nobody steps and if Willie Reid continues to have health issues then Holmes will be called upon to return kicks once again...I'm not as worried about Holmes in the return game he improved as the year went on last year......I just rather him be a WR then do both......I hope Reid stays healthy and if not Chris Jackson can show something in camp/pre-season...

Oh, I don't think the major worry is Holmes fumbling the ball on returns - its more a case of him being injured while he is being used as target pratice by 6 or 7 hungry STers looking to make a name for themselves.

I think the Steelers really need Holmes on the field to help stretch it on a regular basis - that would really help Parker out aswell as open up the shorter routes.