PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians- Calling the Shots

tony hipchest
07-07-2007, 08:33 PM
im especially interested hearing from those who rewatched the 03 browns/steelers match-up in the playoffs. this is really the last game i can remember arians calling as an offensive coordinator. he was hired by the steelers in 04, and the only thing i really remember from the browns in 03 is that they sucked and tim couch cried (i cant recall how arians gameplans went- i just know with butch davis on top, they were headed nowhere quick).

so what do we know? a big question going into this season (offensively) is the upheaval of the coaching staff and a "different playbook". no team loses a dick hoak possibly the best and longest tenured position coach out there) and benefits. grimm was/has been a head coaching candidate himself (with several sb rings as a player/coach).

suprisingly these arent the issues mostly talked about. most think the main issues are losing whiz as the play caller and the revamping of the playbook.

so what do we know about arians? i know in his last relevant performance calling the plays kelly holcomb with 4 career starts, and an average (yet solid) group of receivers very well shouldve beaten the steelers in the playoffs in pittsburgh. yes the steelers secondary sucked, yet this was a team that fielded the leagues top defense in 01 and 04.

arians was wise enough to know his team wasnt going to run on the steelers. he was wise enough to adopt the gameplan the patriots and raiders so effectively used to begin the steelers 02 season. were it not for several dropped passes/official overturns on the browns (to go with the browns defense dropping several maddox passes thrown right at them) the browns wouldve won and no name holcomb wouldve thrown for 500+ yards with no running game.

impressive regardless? yes. yet he was accomplishing that against the steelers secondary. however he wasnt doing that with big ben, ward, holmes, miller, and parker in the backfield.

his last showing as o-coordinator looks good but is he qualified for the talent the steelers possess? what are his credentials? some people thought mark whipple would be a good o-coord candidate based on his college HC experience along with his experience with ben as a qb coach.

arians was a college head coach, who was hired by the cheifs to coach the running backs in 88. (coincidentally enough, this was him and cowher first worked together as assistants under marty shottenheimer). arians then worked with the saints coaching the TE's before he joined the colts staff as mannings QB coach. his work with manning led to a promotion to the browns, yet a demotion to the steelers wr coach.

so what do we know? the man can coach. whether it be HC, o- coord, rb, te, or wr's, he has coached every position on offense besides the offensive line.

i have no doubt that he was the right man for the job. nobody ever thought that gailey, mularkey, or even wisenhunt would even be considered for a head coaching opening (let alone land one).
nobody is expecting much from arians. however i will side with the rooneys previous calls and history when i say we dont have too much to wory about in regards to our "new" coach and "new" playbook. (the playbook is just a streamlined version of the one we have been familiar with for the past 15 years. its the playcalling, not the playbook which will lead to success)

steelpride12
07-07-2007, 09:01 PM
im especially interested hearing from those who rewatched the 03 browns/steelers match-up in the playoffs. this is really the last game i can remember arians calling as an offensive coordinator. he was hired by the steelers in 04, and the only thing i really remember from the browns in 03 is that they sucked and tim couch cried (i cant recall how arians gameplans went- i just know with butch davis on top, they were headed nowhere quick).

so what do we know? a big question going into this season (offensively) is the upheaval of the coaching staff and a "different playbook". no team loses a dick hoak possibly the best and longest tenured position coach out there) and benefits. grimm was/has been a head coaching candidate himself (with several sb rings as a player/coach).

suprisingly these arent the issues mostly talked about. most think the main issues are losing whiz as the play caller and the revamping of the playbook.

so what do we know about arians? i know in his last relevant performance calling the plays kelly holcomb with 4 career starts, and an average (yet solid) group of receivers very well shouldve beaten the steelers in the playoffs in pittsburgh. yes the steelers secondary sucked, yet this was a team that fielded the leagues top defense in 01 and 04.

arians was wise enough to know his team wasnt going to run on the steelers. he was wise enough to adopt the gameplan the patriots and raiders so effectively used to begin the steelers 02 season. were it not for several dropped passes/official overturns on the browns (to go with the browns defense dropping several maddox passes thrown right at them) the browns wouldve won and no name holcomb wouldve thrown for 500+ yards with no running game.

impressive regardless? yes. yet he was accomplishing that against the steelers secondary. however he wasnt doing that with big ben, ward, holmes, miller, and parker in the backfield.

his last showing as o-coordinator looks good but is he qualified for the talent the steelers possess? what are his credentials? some people thought mark whipple would be a good o-coord candidate based on his college HC experience along with his experience with ben as a qb coach.

arians was a college head coach, who was hired by the cheifs to coach the running backs in 88. (coincidentally enough, this was him and cowher first worked together as assistants under marty shottenheimer). arians then worked with the saints coaching the TE's before he joined the colts staff as mannings QB coach. his work with manning led to a promotion to the browns, yet a demotion to the steelers wr coach.

so what do we know? the man can coach. whether it be HC, o- coord, rb, te, or wr's, he has coached every position on offense besides the offensive line.

i have no doubt that he was the right man for the job. nobody ever thought that gailey, mularkey, or even wisenhunt would even be considered for a head coaching opening (let alone land one).
nobody is expecting much from arians. however i will side with the rooneys previous calls and history when i say we dont have too much to wory about in regards to our "new" coach and "new" playbook. (the playbook is just a streamlined version of the one we have been familiar with for the past 15 years. its the playcalling, not the playbook which will lead to success)
got that right the experience he has is great and i have no worrys that he will disapoint me!!!
u

suprasad
07-07-2007, 10:47 PM
I am looking forward to seeing what BA does with the offense, given his credentials and the respect he has from the WR's and from Ben.

Preacher
07-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Here is what I think...

1. He knows how to coach against hard running teams, and team that are built to stop the run. So I think we have a good push against our division. It is VERY important that he knows how to coach against the run... What I mean by that is that it would seem that he would know how to make the most out of a little amount of time.

2. In the game against the Steelers, he didn't completely abandon the run. He used it to help set up the pass. this way, the DB's couldn't just set back and wait for the pass.

3. Well, if he could do that with that group... imagine what he could do with actual talent like what the Steelers have! :sofunny:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-08-2007, 12:13 AM
I like the fact that he is spreading the offense out. I cant recall how many time last season we just bunched it all up and other teams knew the run was comming.

Preacher
07-08-2007, 02:05 AM
I like the fact that he is spreading the offense out. I cant recall how many time last season we just bunched it all up and other teams knew the run was comming.

He did that with the Browns as well. Yeah, I do like that. I really like the fact he wants to spread it out like that, then run will in some open areas.

Crushzilla
07-08-2007, 02:50 AM
As long as he does away with the 3rd and 8 screen pass to Verron Haynes he's ok with me...

Preacher
07-08-2007, 03:12 AM
As long as he does away with the 3rd and 8 screen pass to Verron Haynes he's ok with me...

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

I think that was in the old playbook... the one that got thrown out.

THough you know Cowher will be sitting at home in his easy chair watching screaming...

THROW THE SCREEN... THROW THE SCREEN!!!

About that time his wife will look at him and say, "Honey... number 1, your no longer coaching. and 2... Stop with that Pittsburgh accent!"

Galax Steeler
07-08-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm excited about arians I think he will open it up alot more.

Atlanta Dan
07-08-2007, 11:11 AM
The Browns could not run the ball in that game (38 yards net rushing) but it was not as if they did not try (Green - 30 yards on 25 carries). It was the Browns D that lost that game (Fazio quit/was fired after Davis made him go to a prevent/3 man rush in the 4th Q), not Arians calling a pass happy 4th quarter.

The Steelers stuffed everyone on the run that year and could stop nobody passing (courtesy of, as TH notes, Charlie Weis and Tom Brady, followed by Oakland, exposing that flaw by almost exclusively throwing the ball in the first 2 games of the 2002 season), so Arians called a proper game as far as I could tell.

The best part of Arians coming in to me is that after 15 years and 6 (?) O-coordinators under Cowher he apparently has weeded out the playbook down to something Ben can hopefully comprehend. Regardless of what kind of game he calls, if Ben does not understand the offense it will be a long year.

Spreading the field and going more to a H back offense may be more suited to Parker's talents - we can start to find out 4 weeks from tonight.

The Duke
07-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I really hope Arians helps us cut down on all of those turnovers, we have great receivers and tight ends we already know hoe to use and Arians is familiar with, all we need to do is cut those turnovers, specially in the red zone:dang:.

SteelCzar76
07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
As stated earlier i too feel as though Arians will "open things up" on offense so to speak. (as this will most certainly give Wille more of an opportunity to maximize his particular abilities)

Because in reality we are no longer 'built 'to play "ball control" football in terms of our ground game. Willie is explosive,....but 4 quarters of "pounding it out" successfully between the tackles is just not his game from a physical standpoint. And though his "supporting cast" may be solid, none of them are exceptional 'power backs'.

And henceforth they will be rendered relatively average or of very little worth against the league's better defenses. Defenses like,...though i hate to say it,.....Baltimore's.

Bottom line,.....i think Arians attempts to give the offense a more vertical look this season. And how he will be remembered for doing so will all depend on whether or not Ben is indeed the QB that most Steeler fans hope him to be,.........or the "average with flashes to sub average passer" that he has been up until this point in his career.

HometownGal
07-08-2007, 04:43 PM
As stated earlier i too feel as though Arians will "open things up" on offense so to speak. (as this will most certainly give Wille more of an opportunity to maximize his particular abilities)

Because in reality we are no longer 'built 'to play "ball control" football in terms of our ground game. Willie is explosive,....but 4 quarters of "pounding it out" successfully between the tackles is just not his game from a physical standpoint. And though his "supporting cast" may be solid, none of them are exceptional 'power backs'.

And henceforth they will be rendered relatively average or of very little worth against the league's better defenses. Defenses like,...though i hate to say it,.....Baltimore's.

Bottom line,.....i think Arians attempts to give the offense a more vertical look this season. And how he will be remembered for doing so will all depend on whether or not Ben is indeed the QB that most Steeler fans hope him to be,.........or the "average with flashes to sub average passer" that he has been up until this point in his career.

Excellent post Czar! :thumbsup: All I'm going to say at this point, as he is still unproven as a Steelers OC, is that I believe Bruce Arians is going to be a tremendous asset to Tomlin's staff and to the team. :cheers:

Elvis
07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
The guy coached in Indianapolis for a while didnt he? For some reason I am thinking that he did. I guess I didnt even realize that he was their offensive coach back then. I guess if I paid more attention..huh?.. I just hope that the Steelers dont abandon our running game all together... I love the running game and it also helps our defense out keeping them off the field..

HometownGal
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
The guy coached in Indianapolis for a while didnt he? For some reason I am thinking that he did. I guess I didnt even realize that he was their offensive coach back then. I guess if I paid more attention..huh?.. I just hope that the Steelers dont abandon our running game all together... I love the running game and it also helps our defense out keeping them off the field..

Here's a little history on Bruce Arians, wedo. You are correct - he was the QB coach for the Colts and deserves some credit for developing Peytoon.

From Wikipedia:

At the end of the college football season in 1988, he was hired in the NFL as a running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. It was during this time with the Chiefs that he worked with the coach who brought him to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Cowher. He also spent one season as the tight end coach of the New Orleans Saints. Following this stint was when he made a name for himself when he got the job as the quarterbacks coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He was the first quarterback coach of Peyton Manning when he arrived in the NFL and gets some of the credit for turning Peyton Manning into one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. His good work with the Colts payed off as he got his big promotion to offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. After two seasons with the Browns, he was hired by Bill Cowher as the wide receivers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. On January 23, 2007, he was promoted to the offensive coordinator job of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

pittsburghp8baller
07-08-2007, 08:40 PM

yea me too, if we spread it out it will keep defenses from stacking on the LOS and Willie will be able to get into the secondary on a more regular basis.

GBMelBlount
07-08-2007, 09:54 PM

I'm not a huge Big Ben fan, but I agree that he did very well out of the blocks for starting as a rookie, even with respect to passing. Obviously, last year sucked.
The thought of opening up the pass to new & different schemes, & adding more unpredictability is exciting. As said, having a strong & varied/unpredictable passing strategy is essential to opening up our running game, especially with our current personnel. Great thead!

tony hipchest
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm not a huge Big Ben fan, but I agree that he did very well out of the blocks for starting as a rookie, even with respect to passing. Obviously, last year sucked.
The thought of opening up the pass to new & different schemes, & adding more unpredictability is exciting. As said, having a strong & varied/unpredictable passing strategy is essential to opening up our running game, especially with our current personnel. Great thead!

wow. i am a huge steelersfan, so by proxy i guess i am a huge ben fan. in fact i would take him over any qb the steelers have had since '82. there are many really good qb's who have come and gone. only a fraction of those have that "it" factor. it has taken p. manning this long to capitalize on the confidence ben has had all along. ben and his supposed lack of skills and qb'ing abilities are the least of my concerns going into the future and i only think arians will enhance these capabilities and not be a detriment.

arians coaching resume suggests he will be in tough with all aspects of the offense and not just the tight ends in blocking schemes. just like whiz was an upgrade over mularkey, i expect arians to be an upgrade over whiz.