PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Release Preseason Rankings

charlie martel
07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
http://usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-07-07-power-rankings_N.htm

Steelers at 13.

Overall, I think they I think they did a good job although it's premature. Unfortunately, they're correct that the AFC is stacked again and it will be difficult to make the playoffs without taking the division.

SteelCityMan786
07-08-2007, 04:40 PM
It's like that EVERY year.

MasterOfPuppets
07-08-2007, 05:02 PM
13 is reasonable considering the coaching change,lets face it,noone knows what to ecspect. the one i don't get is the cowpies being so high. there in the same boat as us,WITHOUT having superbowl champs on thier team.

Livinginthe past
07-08-2007, 06:03 PM
There isn't really a way to do pre-season rankings without being 'premature', to be honest.

Overall, the rankings aren't too far away from where I would have them.

Crushzilla
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Sigh... Ya I guess its pretty good except I'll still never understand why the Bengals are so hyped this season

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Considering that we had the 15th pick in the draft it seems we moved up in the offseason.

Livinginthe past
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Sigh... Ya I guess its pretty good except I'll still never understand why the Bengals are so hyped this season

I don't know.

I've seen more outrageous rankings of the 'shadow Colts' - 6th best team in the AFC?

I don't think thats too unfair - Pittsburgh has created a vacuum in the top3 AFC after the 8-8 season and everyone has jumped a slot because of it.

tony hipchest
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Sigh... Ya I guess its pretty good except I'll still never understand why the Bengals are so hyped this season so these rankings take the 12 teams to make the playoffs last year, drops the giants and cheifs, adds the bengals and broncos, and calls it the "top 12"

too bad it is never that simple. recent history says as much. in order to get these rankings right one must be willing to go out on a limb and not rely on last years results or rankings.i dont get the constant bengals love either. bens worst season is something carson and the bungles have accomplished 3 times. while i can see why people would be high on denver, i just dont see it with the bungles or jets. atleast the steelers have a remote shot of winning one of the toughest divisions in the nfl. the jets have no shot. realistically, the absolutely best they can hope for is to be a wild card team.

the steelers and all their sb calibur talent atleast have a shot of winning the division which sould be taken into account when these rankings are set.

nevertheless, the steelers werent expected to do crap and were buried in the pre-season rankings the last 2 times they had the best record in the afc and secured homefield advantage throughout (01, 04). this year just seems like a recurring theme to another afc champ game. i'll take that over missing the playoffs anyday. even the most ignorant bunglesfan would take that.

Newzfoxjr
07-08-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't see how the Cowboys are ahead of us and they're two spots ahead of us...They only won one more game than us last season...and I think we're more talented. I think they have us beat at WR, but not RB or QB.

Eh, this doesn't matter. We all know who is going to win the Super Bowl anyway. :P

Preacher
07-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Okay...

A couple things.

1. Patriots should be at 2 and colts at 1.

Chargers at 3.

Bengals were tied with the Steelers last year... the coaching change should drop the Steelers down one maybe two places from the Bengals. But 5 spots is ridiculous.

I gotta move Chicago up above the Ravens as well, however, the Ravens deserve to be put that high.

funny thing is... unlike college football, this means nothing. Thank goodness.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Eagles..Bengals..Jets...and Broncos are rated too high...

Elvis
07-09-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't see how the Cowboys are ahead of us and they're two spots ahead of us...They only won one more game than us last season...and I think we're more talented. I think they have us beat at WR, but not RB or QB.

Eh, this doesn't matter. We all know who is going to win the Super Bowl anyway. :P
Now, maybe I am wrong... but there is no way in Hateees that the Cowboys are better than the Steelers at WR bud. I would take Hines over T.O. any day and Holmes is gonna run circles around anything else the Cowboys have got. Nate Washington is better than the Cowpokes No.3 guy I would almost be willing to bet on it. I look for Washington to step it up this season and have a good year as our no.3 guy.

SteelCityMan786
07-09-2007, 08:10 AM

Amen Bro. The 4 most overrated teams in the NFL.

Buzz05
07-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Im not taking this rankings seriously at all. Like the title says 'pre-season.' I would take them more seriously if they came during camp. Right now no team really knows where it stands.

onthebus36
07-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Why is it the Steelers are pinged for an 8-8 season last year and the Bengals are rated so high even though they've gone 8-8 three of the last four seasons? Their D is still suspect and, by my reckoning, they've had as many subtractions as additions on defense in the off-season.

Jets and Cowboys are too high as well.

fansince'76
07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
All things considered, I think 13 is a reasonable ranking for the Steelers at this point.

One team I believe that is WAY too high on that list is Denver. Yes, they solidified their secondary with the addition of Bly, but their pass rush has been their biggest weakness on D for the last several years - maybe Moss and Crowder can change that, but maybe they won't. I think their LB corps has slipped as well with the loss of Al Wilson to a career-ending neck injury.

I also think Cutler is vastly overrated as a QB. For as much media criticism as Ben receives (as a QB that has actually done something in the postseason), this kid Cutler (along with Romo) are continuing to be looked at as the greatest thing since sliced bread, based on next to nothing. Living in Denver, I am force-fed a lot of Broncos games and having watched Cutler quite a bit last season, I can honestly say the kid hasn't impressed me one iota yet. No way they challenge the Chargers for the AFC West crown this season nor should they be ranked 7th on this list.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-09-2007, 02:33 PM

:iagree:

revefsreleets
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
The Raiders are going to win it all this year!

(Why not? It makes about as much sense as most of the other picks on here)