PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Fike/Fiancee Arrested (Heroin)

83-Steelers-43
07-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Now the Cincinnati police are profiling NASCAR drivers!!!! :dang:

This situation calls for the Reverend Jesse Sharpton Lewis to the rescue.

Rookie Fike arrested on drug charges
Run-in at Ohio amusement park reportedly leads police to heroin
JIM UTTER
jutter@charlotteobserver.com

NASCAR Truck Series rookie driver Aaron Fike and his fianc?e were arrested Saturday in Mason, Ohio, on drug charges.

According to officials at the Warren County Jail in Lebanon, Ohio, Fike and his fianc?e, Cassandra Davidson, were being held without bond Sunday on charges of possession of drugs and possession of drug abuse instruments. Their first court appearance is set for Tuesday, officials said.

According to TV stations in the Cincinnati area, Fike, 24, and Davidson were in the parking lot of the Kings Island amusement park after Fike struck a park security officer with the side mirror of his vehicle and drove away.

According to WCPO-TV, when police arrived, they found a substance believed to be heroin, syringes and spoons with residue in his sport utility vehicle.

"We were made aware of this incident this afternoon," Red Horse Racing team owner Tom DeLoach said Sunday. "We are working with NASCAR to obtain further information on the incident and will release more information as the facts become available."

Ramsey Poston said NASCAR officials had not been in contact with Fike. "Once we know all the facts, we will make a decision on his participation in NASCAR going forward," Poston said.

Fike is eighth in the points standings. In 12 starts, he has one top-five and four top-10 finishes. He also has one top-10 in 52 Busch Series starts.

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/190045.html

SteelCityMan786
07-09-2007, 08:05 AM
I guess they're busy now. This police department probably has at least 500,000 arrests since the Bengals started getting in trouble with the law.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 03:58 PM
this really is a pretty shocking and unusual story. i expect a swift and proactive approach by nascar. no driver wants to put their life on the line with a druggie out there. and when star drivers speak out you can bet that nascar will listen (of course this is a little different than some nba players smoking some reefer on the weekend)

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2936093

Harvick says 'shame on NASCAR' for lack of drug testing
JOLIET, Ill. -- Kevin Harvick questioned NASCAR's drug testing policy after Craftsman Truck Series driver Aaron Fike was arrested and charged with possession of drugs last weekend.

"I believe that every driver and every national series should be drug tested a couple of times a year randomly regardless of who you are, what you are doing," Harvick said on Friday at Chicagoland Speedway.

"We owe it to the sponsors and the fans to 100 percent know this is a clean environment. It would eliminate a lot of those problems of the younger guys that disrespect the sport and the system."

Unlike a lot of sports that randomly test for drugs during a season, NASCAR has a preseason test and then randomly tests the rest of the season based on suspicion.

Without suspicion, a driver or crew member could go the entire season without being tested.

Harvick questioned whether somebody such as Fike, who has been suspended by NASCAR, would have slipped through the system had the policy been more stringent.

"Shame on NASCAR for not policing our garage better than what they police it right now," he said. "We're all professional athletes and should be treated like professional athletes in other sports and shame on them for not doing that."

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, going around 150 mph next to a guy who's either stoned on dope or going through withdrawl can't be a good thing for the other drivers. Your literally messing with other people's lives.

Tony, when you say that you "expect a swift and proactive approach by nascar", does this mean he could be kicked out of the sport for good? Strong possibility?

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, going around 150 mph next to a guy who's either stoned on dope or going through withdrawl can't be a good thing for the other drivers. Your literally messing with other people's lives.

Tony, when you say that you "expect a swift and proactive approach by nascar", does this mean he could be kicked out of the sport for good? Strong possibility?i believe so. more than any other sport, nascar isnt tied to precedence or rules or even "fairness" when it comes to punishment.

really nascar could do nothing and he still be out of the sport for good. i dont think a team would need nascars permission or ok to fire him. and i dont think any team would hire him. unlike other sports nascar teams dont get their money from stadium box office takes or tv revenues. they get their money from winning and sponsors. i believe this kid will simply be blackballed by the sport and teams. there will be no appeals. any team that hires him will risk losing their sponsorship money and their "business" and livelihood so to speak. if coke or pepsi were paying pacman's or henrys salaries you can bet they would be out of a job for good. simply put, despite any talent fike might have had, nobody will have faith in him to either win or sell a product. he cut his own throat.

nascar desperately wants to be accepted as a legitimate sport, so i think they wont have too much of a problem looking long and hard at harvicks suggestion of stepping up the testing. theres no union so the rules can be changed on a whim.

after all look at the evolution of the football, baseball, golf ball or basketball through the years compared to the evolution of the racecar. the rules have always been very fluid and can change on the drop of a dime. this isnt a bad thing.

if i were to guess, i would say the biggest at risk team members of nascar would be the drivers of the haulers who transport the racecars and equipment from track to track. you might find some of them on ephedera (or possibly something worse). from what i understand, truck drivers have a higher rate of meth use than the regular population. :hunch:

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Thank you for the info. So basically his punishment will be handed down by the sponsors/owners (shying away from him) more than the big heads in NASCAR?

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Thank you for the info. So basically his punishment will be handed down by the sponsors/owners (shying away from him) more than the big heads in NASCAR?nascar will definitely step in and hand out atleast a year long suspension (they suspended grubb for a year for smoking reefer) and he hasnt been on the track since.

shooting up horse is a whole different story. i would not be suprised if nascar made it known that no team needs to waste their time looking at him for his services (an official lifelong ban may be in order from a pr standpoint although unnecessary from a punishment standpoint). i think nascar has more unwritten rules than any other sport and im thinking not putting a junkie behind the wheel is one of them. i will be watching with interest to see if any precedence is set although i only loosely follow the truck series.

alot of todays most popular and winning drivers have been developed in the truck series, so its not anything nascar will allow to be tainted. and like you kinda said, its one thing to cheat your fellow competitors, its a whole other thing to put their lives at risk.

im thinking if he is officially "whacked" it will just be low key and hopefully quickly forgotten and not spoken about no more. i dont know if there would even be a press release or an official statement. however i do feel nascar could lift itself above some of the other sports image by showing none of this crap will be tolerated.

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 05:03 PM
im thinking if he is officially "whacked" it will just be low key and hopefully quickly forgotten and not spoken about no more.

IMO, I think it will be forgotten as it should be. NASCAR has a very clean record for the most part. A few DUI's here and there but that's about it. One idiot shooting dope with the fiancee should not completely scar an overall clean product.

Hell, the NFL is setting records for arrests.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 05:17 PM
IMO, I think it will be forgotten as it should be. NASCAR has a very clean record for the most part. A few DUI's here and there but that's about it. One idiot shooting dope with the fiancee should not completely scar an overall clean product.

Hell, the NFL is setting records for arrests.i was about to ask, as an outsider to the sport, what you think would be the way to go.

handle it quietly and just "make it dissappear", or sound the trumpets, pat yourself on the back and advertise the job well done?

i agree with you. why bring light to something that isnt even a problem? especially when it involves a virtual no name in the double AA series. no need for nascar to thump its chest and try to put itself up on a pedestal above the other sports by offering up a suspension to a guy who will never find work as it is. i doubt teams would even hire him to sweep the garage.

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 05:27 PM
IMO, boot the guy from the league and do it quietly. They have no reason to make it a public spectacle.

The owner of NASCAR should not feel the need to make it known to the sports world that NASCAR is finally coming down hard on drug use. No need for it because they don't have a problem with drug use. It was one moron.

You look at ESPN every other day and you hear about athletes being arrested in the NFL or NBA and then you read about 'some guy' in NASCAR being arrested for heroin and it's really not a big deal. Was I surprised? Sure, because it never happens which I believe expresses my point.

TackleMeBen
07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
if i am not mistaking i do believe nascar has given a life long ban to a driver by the name of shane hmiel, whose father works for DEI. he got caught with drugs and was suspended for a year and allowed to come back and was tested on a regular basics by nascar and failed a test and they said no more. he hasnt raced since.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 10:29 PM
if i am not mistaking i do believe nascar has given a life long ban to a driver by the name of shane hmiel, whose father works for DEI. he got caught with drugs and was suspended for a year and allowed to come back and was tested on a regular basics by nascar and failed a test and they said no more. he hasnt raced since.your right. it was hmiel i was thinking of, not grubb.

TackleMeBen
07-15-2007, 12:45 AM
your right. it was hmiel i was thinking of, not grubb.

:thumbsup: i thought that is who you meant

j-dawg
07-15-2007, 01:54 PM
man, this should be considered a really good thing.. if he had just apologized to the security guard for hitting his mirror, his heroin addiction probably wouldn't have come to light... and something even worse could have happened... that stuff is bad news... hopefully, if he was shooting that crap up, he'll be able to overcome the addiction.