PDA

View Full Version : If there were no Steelers

moedap
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
It may be sacrilegist to even contemplate such a scenario but if it were so which team would you root for and why?

I would root for the Redskins for a couple of reasons 1. I live in the Wash D.C. area which is Redskin crazy and had I not pledged my loyalty to the Steelers Redskins fever would have infected me. 2. The Redskins fans absolutely hate the Cowboys. Being a out-of-towner Steelers fan I got most of my hate from Cowboy fans due to the 2 SB victories which caused me to develop a hate for the Cowboys. The Bengals and Patriots now occupy most of my hatred but the Cowboys will always have their own special place.

PisnNapalm
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I think I just wasted 10 seconds reading the above post. http://www.bomberboys.com/Smilies/errr.gif

HometownGal
07-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I think I just wasted 10 seconds reading the above post. http://www.bomberboys.com/Smilies/errr.gif

C'mon hon - that's a little harsh.

I know we've had several threads within the last 6 months posing this same question (or along the same lines), but to not be a dik-ette, I'll answer it.

If there were no Steelers, I wouldn't back any other team because I've lived in da Burgh almost my entire life and I am a Hometown Gal just as my moniker reflects. I would probaby just be more into college ball than I am right now. Philly is the only other NFL team in the state and I'd rather poke my eyes out with a fork than become an Eagles fan. :yuck:

The Duke
07-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Eagles (:nervous:)cause they were the first team I saw.

fansince'76
07-09-2007, 03:10 PM
If the Steelers did not exist, I'd still be a NFL fan. However, I would probably approach the NFL much as I approach the NBA now - I would be a fan of individual players moreso than teams.

HometownGal
07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
:Eagles (:nervous:)cause they were the first team I saw.

:tomato::tomato::tomato: :wink02:

MACH1
07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
If the Steelers did not exist, I'd still be a NFL fan. However, I would probably approach the NFL much as I approach the NBA now - I would be a fan of individual players moreso than teams.

Same here.

Virginia Steeler
07-09-2007, 04:45 PM
this sounds crazy, but probably the Cowboys -- i live in Virginia and you can't imagine the horse manure that come out of Reskins fans mouths....When the Redskins win and the Steelers lose it feels like the Redskins beat the Steelers..I can't stand them...I can't listen to local radio so I got Sirius...So, as odd as it may seem I'd be a Cowboys fan if the Steelers did not exist.

steelpinstripe72
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't be following the NFL if the Steelers didn't exist. I'd be focused on Yankees' baseball and the Bombers of Ithaca College (IC's my alma mater) for college football - even though they're Division III.

LambertIsGod58
07-09-2007, 05:17 PM
If there were no Steelers, I'd probably be a Pats fan. That's an organization that get's it. They make all the necessary moves to be contenders every year. They open the checkbook when they need to.

Crushzilla
07-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I think I'm going to have to go with Fansince's point here. I know it sounds like a cop out, but I am a fan of the NBA and was kind of a Sixers fan until AI went to Denver. I still like Igoudala, but don't find myself checking in on the team.

Therefore, I'd have to assume I'd be a neutral fan of the sport, rooting for different teams in different scenarios. There would be teams I would like, teams I dislike, but no team I really followed steadily as a "fan"

onthebus36
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
this sounds crazy, but probably the Cowboys -- i live in Virginia and you can't imagine the horse manure that come out of Reskins fans mouths....When the Redskins win and the Steelers lose it feels like the Redskins beat the Steelers..I can't stand them...I can't listen to local radio so I got Sirius...So, as odd as it may seem I'd be a Cowboys fan if the Steelers did not exist.

I wouldn't be a Cowboys fan but I want to second Virginia Steeler. There are certainly some Redskin fanatics in this area but the majority of Skins fans are bandwagon jumpers. Fortunately, the Redskins have sucked for a while now so it's less painful but it still sucks. I've lived in Baltimore (Colts era), Denver, and Pittsburgh and DC is the worst for the media coverage of the team.

But to answer the question, if the Steelers didn't exist, I'd probably get really into Fantasy Football and follow individual players. I'd follow the matchups rather than the teams. However, I'd probably have a hard time with that since I'd obviously be in Hell and I'm not sure how the fantasy leagues run down there.

steelpinstripe72
07-09-2007, 05:55 PM
However, I'd probably have a hard time with that since I'd obviously be in Hell and I'm not sure how the fantasy leagues run down there.

:toofunny: They'd probably force you to take a whole team, instead of just individual players...in which case, regarding the loyalty thing, you'd be back at square one.

shevdog
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
To ponder such things is heresy! LOL! Can't see myself a Browns, Ravens, or even an Eagles fan. I think I'd give up football and take up golf or just watch paint dry.

83-Steelers-43
07-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Nobody, although I would still watch the NFL because I love NFL football. Thankfully I would still have PITT to root for when it comes to college ball.

Newzfoxjr
07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
You know, you can't really accurately tell, because in the back of your mind you know the Steelers exist so naming another one would be like betraying the Steelers. XD

But I'd go with the Saints. I used to live near there and my dad was born near there and lived there most of his life...he's a crazy Saints fan...

Preacher
07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
This is an easy question for me...

I lived in Washington state for most of my life... Thus, I was a Seattle Seahawks fan. However, I always routed for Pitt when Seattle played them, cause Pitt was my team first and foremost. I would have been a Seahawk fan because that is where I lived.

And yeah, after the first round of the playoffs... I was saying to myself, Oh great... the ONLY time the Seahawks go to the SB... I have to route against them.

Sure enough.. they did... and I did!!!

Still a proud Steeler fan... Absolutely happy they won... Haven't been able to route for the Seahawks since because of the way thier fans reacted.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I cant see any team that I would root for but if I had to pick one it'd probably be the Raiders only because my grandpa is a die hard fan.

vader29
07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Well I'm a homer and like all of the local pro teams and have never followed the NBA because of no pro team in Pittsburgh, so if there were no Steelers I most likely wouldn't have a favorite team and would probably end up following individual players from the Pittsburgh area.

lilyoder6
07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
i would prob root for the chargers or cheifs if, if there was no steelers

RoethlisBURGHer
07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I'd have to say I would be a Bears fan.They are my favorite NFC team.They remind me of the Steelers in thier philosiphies of defense and a ground game win football games.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I grew up in New York I would guess I'd be a Giants or Jets fan but probably a Jets fans as my dad God rest his gang green soul was a HUGE Jets fan but fortunately for me he wasn't able to brain wash me. :tt02:

Galax Steeler
07-10-2007, 04:56 AM
I would have to say the chargers.

Elvis
07-10-2007, 07:07 AM
I cant really say who I would pull for. I have always seen teams along the way each year that I like the way they play football. Like when the Chargers defeated us in the AFC Tittle game and played in the super bowl against the 49ers I think. They played good defense and ran the ball well. I will always be a die hard Steelers fan, and I guess its because they always or usually play very good defense and they are always know for their running game as well.

SteelShooter
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM

:rofl: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :busted: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! :busted: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :rofl: :heha: :rofl:

SteelShooter
07-10-2007, 08:33 AM
I really believe I would have to jump on the bandwagon here.......

................you know, watching that World Arena Grass-Growing League is really catching on here lately. I am starting to really get into watching the Bohemian Team, they have an OUTSTANDING Front Office and a lethargically growing fan-base.
(Please note EXTREME sarcasm here)

SteelCityMan786
07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Eagles (:nervous:)cause they were the first team I saw.

:bricks::m16::rocket::wantsome:

as for me, I would probably be a 49ers fan. Otherwise, I really wouldn't cheer for anyone. I'd still hate the Eagles like I do now. I hate them with a passion.

tony hipchest
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
probably in this order it would be

1) bills (thanks to OJ and the great team assembled mid 80's)
2) cardinals (theyre the most local team, however cowboys and broncos have much more "local" fan support)
3) eagles (families pennsylvania roots- i still pull for the 76ers)
4) panthers (came into the league as the sister team of the steelers "salt n pepper", barry foster, kerry collins, and dom capers made them easy to root for.)

stlrtruck
07-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I'd probably be a Bucs fan, since I live in Tampa now. Either that or a Redskins fan since I'm from that area.

stillers4ever
07-10-2007, 12:22 PM
i would probably just be enthusiastic about certain players. i would follow the top 5 picks in every draft just to see if they would make any impact. but if i HAD to pick another team it would be the bucs, because i live there now.

19ward86
07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
i hate saying it but since i live in ohio, my dad is an up and coming bengals fan, my stepdad is an exsteeler and now bengals fan. all of my friends are bengals fans, so i would probably be a bengal fan just because of my surroundings, but if i could choose knowing what i know now i would be a 49ers fan......

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
i hate saying it but since i live in ohio, my dad is an up and coming bengals fan, my stepdad is an exsteeler and now bengals fan. all of my friends are bengals fans, so i would probably be a bengal fan just because of my surroundings, but if i could choose knowing what i know now i would be a 49ers fan......

Haha..........You're kidd'n right???

pitt
07-10-2007, 01:49 PM
:jawdrop: NO STEELERS????? To horrible to think about. :crying01:

The Duke
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
:jawdrop: NO STEELERS????? To horrible to think about. :crying01:

Yeah, that would be a terrible world. Thanks Art Rooney :tt02:

PisnNapalm
07-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the rep points to those that chuckled at my initial comment. I've read through this thread and I can only come to one conclusion when I think about the question: " What if there were no Steelers?"

I don't know. I was raised on them. I listened to my dad holler at the tv and I knew not to sit next to mom during a game. She's a leg slapper when things are going good. That hurts.

I would probably have paid more attention to the Pirates or followed Pitt football more closely.

I still think it's a ludicrous question in the first place. And no, you can't have those 10 seconds back.:flap:

Preacher
07-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the rep points to those that chuckled at my initial comment. I've read through this thread and I can only come to one conclusion when I think about the question: " What if there were no Steelers?"

I don't know. I was raised on them. I listened to my dad holler at the tv and I knew not to sit next to mom during a game. She's a leg slapper when things are going good. That hurts.

I would probably have paid more attention to the Pirates or followed Pitt football more closely.

I still think it's a ludicrous question in the first place. And no, you can't have those 10 seconds back.:flap:

LOL... I would be in the car with my mother. Out of the blue... she would slap my leg... hard enough to leaving a full handprint....

I would scream out... WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!??!?!?!??!

She would answer in a sweet voice... A love slap.. cause I love you!

Yeah.. right....

Steel Pit
07-11-2007, 05:33 AM
I've answered this question many times over the years and my answer was always the Indianapolis Colts BUT..... I don't know anymore. In the past I chose the Colts because of the basic looking uniform that they wear. Being a Penn State fan I have a thing for the generic looking uniform.

Since the Colts are the current Super Bowl Champions there's just no way that I could jump on their bandwagon now. I guess I would have to avoid professional football until the NFL expanded and placed another team in Pittsburgh.

IamTheSteelGod
07-11-2007, 10:08 AM
I would support the Giants.

stlrtruck
07-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I know this much, Fantasy Football would definitely be different!

BritishSteel
07-13-2007, 05:58 PM
It a good question for us non-Americans who first saw the game in the early 1980's and had to pick a team without having lived there or having family links to a place.

I picked the Steelers after watching them put the hurt on the Oilers at home in the '83 season. I was also a big George Romero fan, and coming from an industrial city in England that takes its sport seriously, it was a no brainer really.

I can't imagine it being anyone else, but if it wasn't the steelers, it'd probably have been the Lions.

FourThreeMafia
07-13-2007, 08:10 PM
If there were no Steelers...

What kind of sick joke is this?

Why would you even suggest such a thing. Im going to have nightmares for weeks.

The Steelers bring balance to the universe. Thats like asking what if there was no oxygen, no water, no drunken one night stands...the world cant survive without those things.

Please dont joke about this again. Im going to take a cold shower now...

steelpride12
07-13-2007, 09:41 PM
i would just be an NFL fan cuz im a die hard home town pride guy and dont like teams if there good i have always liked the steelers no matter what and if there were no steelers then no team for me!

theropodx
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
It may be sacrilegist to even contemplate such a scenario but if it were so which team would you root for and why?

OH THIS ONE IS EASY: There are 30 teams I would consider. None of which are named the Bengals.

Well, okay, it's not really that simple....

Green Bay man. Same blue collar ethic. Haven't read the thread but gotta believe this has been said. And Favre--common!

The Duke
07-14-2007, 07:12 PM
OH THIS ONE IS EASY: There are 30 teams I would consider. None of which are named the Bengals.

Well, okay, it's not really that simple....

Green Bay man. Same blue collar ethic. Haven't read the thread but gotta believe this has been said. And Favre--common!

You're right, I would root for any team Favre would be in, just for being Favre

Aussie_steeler
07-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I discovered the NFL because of the STEELERS. Without them I would never have begun to watch the NFL.

I am a GOLF NUT so I would just spend more time watching the PGA tour. My football fix would come from the WARATAHS who play rugby union in the SUPER 14 southern hemisphere competition.

Stlrs4Life
07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Probably not watch football. But if I had to choose, probably the Green Bay Packers, they have a huge tradition in the NFL also.

PAMillerGrrl83
07-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Agh thats a sick sick thought but I dunno I guess I'd have to go with the Colts, I'm not sure why probably because of my fiance` *future husband*. Agh I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

futuremrsmiller
07-25-2007, 12:23 AM
I would be a New York Giants fan because I despise the Eagles, maybe even more than the Bengals or Browns.

nojobny
07-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Jets or Bears (either b/c of proximity or family) but since I've been a Steeler fan for 30+ years, I really can't imagine wearing any other colors beside BLACK & GOLD!!

WWIIOwheelz
07-26-2007, 11:18 PM
I WAS a Redskins fan my whole life, from the 70s - 1995, when I moved here to SW PA. I watched every football game the Redskins played from around 1977 - 1987, and then my college years took me to Saturdays instead of Sundays.

I've got 12 years of Black & Gold under my belt & haven't missed any of those games, either. Having loved 2 teams, I can honestly say that I don't miss the Redskins a bit, and once I moved here, I forgot all about them (and quickly began to loathe NFC football.) Freekin' scorefests. The NFC is like a halfway house between Division I college ball and the AFC, where the real players are.

Anyway, I'm a Steelers fan, through & through, no matter where I am, and I will be for the rest of my life.

SteelDogFan
07-27-2007, 04:11 PM
If the Steelers didn't exsist !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you pose a great question and I'll answer it this way. This is how I think things would be had there been no Steelers.

1) There would have been no Steagles that just wouldn't not be right.

2) Minnesota wins SB 9 & 10 instead of Steelers. The popularity of the league suffers.

3) The Rams win SB in years 78 & 79 then they move. The only legitimately extended fan base for any team except cowboys, bears and packers.

4) No steel curtain, no Lynn and John catching TD's, No Lambert slam to the ground after missed field goal, No immaculate reception, I could go on and on. The result is less popularity for the NFL. Still popular just not as much.

5) When steel mills and plants close in WV and PA, the migration of all the families would NOT result in the moving of football fans east, west, north and south. Again another big blow for the NFL.

5) The Strike year comes and the NFL barely makes it through.

6) The USFL starts and instead of dying out it grows in popularity and the two leagues eventually merge. Calling the league the USNFL; Uninted States National Football League

7) And now the worstest thing of all " No Myron Cope and no Terrible Towel."

As for what team I would be following it would be the Steagles who after combining the two teams never separated and they won.....get this.....four Superbowls in the 70's and a fifth in 2006.

As for non-Steelers fans who would say I believe the Steelers make the football universe go around thats not it ................. just the galaxy LOL.

iloveben7
07-27-2007, 11:18 PM
I don't think I would watch football, but if Ben was on another team I'd follow him because he's the reason why I started watching football and became a Steeler fan.

ricksteelers55
07-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I would still watch the NFL,without having a favorite team.

Kittyfish
07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
No Steelers? It is a horrible thought to contemplate, isn't it! Thank goodness that they do exist after all.

Hypothetically, if the Steelers didn't exist, I'd probably be a Redskins fan, though I'm sure not with the same intensity I bring to the Black and Gold. I grew up around the DC area, and my dad was a HUGE fan. I can't remember ever not knowing the Hail to the Redskins song, which dad would sing after every good play. I still root for them in a half-hearted way (when they're not playing us, that is) in his memory.

I only got interested in football to begin with when my mother in law asked me to keep an eye on a Packers game she was unable to watch, while we were visiting. For some reason, my eyes were opened to the beauty and grace of the game for the first time. Naturally, I started watching football in general once we got back home, and isn't it convenient that my hometown team is the very best one? That was the year that Tommy Maddox started and he had his one good season. And I have been a huge fan ever since.

nicesteel4life
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
If there were no Steelers.....Well we wouldn't be here asking the question.