PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries in the NFL

Virginia Steeler
07-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Last night I was listening to sports radio and this guy was talking about the best rivalry in the NFL - said it was the Colts and Pats...he said he believes this because of the recent success of both teams and last years AFC Champ game.

I disagree -

1. They aren't in the same division. So what if they played in a few playoff games, no one cared about the colts/pats games until brady and manning. Until recently, they weren't good.

2. There is no big NFL rivalry. I think there are rivalries for sure, but outside of the fans most people don't care. Sure the Redskins/Cowboys, Steelers/Browns, Packers/Bears are big rivals - but really, do Raiders, Rams, Panthers or Jets fans care about those games?

3. My theory is that if you are a true fan of a team you'd rather watch your team play over "the game of the week". If Steelers and let's say the 49ers are playing at the same time as the Colts and Pats, I am watching the Steelers.

The Colts and Pats aren't rivals - it is just a good game.

The Duke
07-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Well I think they are rivals due to the recent success of both teams as you said, maybe not as big a rivalry with all the history like the browns and steelers or bears and packers, but it has become a rivalry, and yes it could be because of Manning and Brady, they are like the face of their franchise. They are not division rivals obviously but they are rivals when they meet on the field. Also the steelers and patriots could also talked as a rivalry, they beat us twice in less than five years in the AFC Championship and we still haven't got our revenge.

fansince'76
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I miss the relatively short-lived Steelers/Jags rivalry. When the Steelers and Jags were still in the AFC Central, they had some really entertaining and close-fought games against each other.

HometownGal
07-09-2007, 05:49 PM
KC and the Raiders is a pretty good rivalry along with the Pats and Dolphs.

I really only care about two teams playing each other if one of them is an AFCN division rival, quite honestly. Then, no matter who the other team is - I'm cheering 'em on.

onthebus36
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I think the AFC North is a great division for rivalry. None of those teams like each other.

In fact, I think it's pound for pound the best division in football.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I think the AFC North is a great division for rivalry. None of those teams like each other.

In fact, I think it's pound for pound the best division in football.

Yeah I think the AFC North has the best rivalries.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Steelers-Browns are a classic rivalry.The fans hate each other and so do the teams.

Pats-Colts are a great rivalry,and could go down as one of the greats like the 70's Steelers-Raiders rivalry.

Preacher
07-10-2007, 02:11 AM
the old AFC west was a great rivalry as well. Denver, Seattle, Oakland, KC,...

In the 80's, they all had pretty good teams, and they just hated each other. I still hate Denver because of the Seattle/Denver rivalry.

Livinginthe past
07-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Last night I was listening to sports radio and this guy was talking about the best rivalry in the NFL - said it was the Colts and Pats...he said he believes this because of the recent success of both teams and last years AFC Champ game.

I disagree -

1. They aren't in the same division. So what if they played in a few playoff games, no one cared about the colts/pats games until brady and manning. Until recently, they weren't good.

Its a great rivalry because they are both contenders for the title year in year out.

Factor in their head-2-head matchups in recent postseasons and you have games that always capture the imagination of the neutral fan.

I believe the 2006 AFCCG was one of the NFL's most-watched prime time games in five years.

Brady/Manning are the two best QB's in the NFL - this was about who is the best rivalry right now, wasn't it?

Watching those guys go head-2-head always makes for plenty of hype - especially now that Manning looks like he has turned the corner.

2. There is no big NFL rivalry. I think there are rivalries for sure, but outside of the fans most people don't care. Sure the Redskins/Cowboys, Steelers/Browns, Packers/Bears are big rivals - but really, do Raiders, Rams, Panthers or Jets fans care about those games?

So your argument is that there is no big NFL rivalry at all?

If the Browns were competitive there would be - and the Redskins/Cowboys would have alot more bite of they could both make the postseason...maybe even contend an NFCCG or two.

I only really care about rivalry's where something is at stake - and that is probably the case with most fans who find themselves as a neutral regarding the two teams involved.

In recent years I love the Steelers/Bengals rivalry - not just because they seem to hate each other, but because there is division title or wildcard at place when they play.

3. My theory is that if you are a true fan of a team you'd rather watch your team play over "the game of the week". If Steelers and let's say the 49ers are playing at the same time as the Colts and Pats, I am watching the Steelers.

The Colts and Pats aren't rivals - it is just a good game.

This is where you lose me again.

Surely every fan worth his salt would watch his own team over the 'game of the week' (unless they are way out of contention) but with multiple start times its very possible that the game of the week doesn't compete directly with your team anyway.

Its a rivalry because its a big deal between their fans - and in the Colts/Patriots case between their ownership (there is a good deal of bitterness between the two) - what makes it the top rivalry is the fact that the neutral fan gets drawn in everytime.

section514
07-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I hate Cleveland but I expect to beat them, if we lose to them its like getting beat up by a girl (no offense hometown, floodcity and all the other females around here) but the rivalry is not much of a rivalry any more, we used to trade games back and forth until recently the all time record between the two of us was roughly .500. In the past few years the Steelers Browns has been in favor of the steelers. I would have to say our greatest rival is the Bengals , and the Ravens of course. All of our division games, aside from the browns game, in my mind mean something and I am never 100% positive that we will win before hand.

Virginia Steeler
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
let me rephrase a little for livinginthepast....

I do think the Steelers and Browns are big rivials - for each team's fans and the players...My overall point is you can't just take the best two teams and call them rivals. A rivalry has history. The Colts and Pats have had some great games over the past 3 years. Then again, so have the Pats and Steelers and even the Pats and Broncos.

You said "I only really care about rivalry's where something is at stake - and that is probably the case with most fans who find themselves as a neutral regarding the two teams involved." - that was my entire point. - Even if the Colts and Pats had not played in the regular season last year we all would have watched the AFCCG with the same anticipation - not b/c of the so called rivalry, but b/c it is a good game between two great teams.

tony hipchest
07-10-2007, 10:16 AM
roethlisBURGHer said it best. the steelers/raiders of the 70's was a great rivalries and possibly the best non division rivalry ever just like the cowboys/steelers is a great out of conference rivalry.

and the colts/patriots were in the same division and have some heated history. i remember the days of the late 80's early 90's when their was ALWAYS a fierce battle between them along with the jets to see who could go 1-15 and win the 1st pick of the draft. it was trully compwtitive to see who could suck the worst.

Livinginthe past
07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
let me rephrase a little for livinginthepast....

I do think the Steelers and Browns are big rivials - for each team's fans and the players...My overall point is you can't just take the best two teams and call them rivals. A rivalry has history. The Colts and Pats have had some great games over the past 3 years. Then again, so have the Pats and Steelers and even the Pats and Broncos.

It not just that they have been the two best teams, its the fact that they do have history (although alot of the interesting stuff is compacted into the last 5 years or so) of some big battles - whenever they played it was either in the playoffs or a regular season game that would decide where the inevitable potseason game was going to be played.

For whatever reason, there is alot of antagonism between Patriots and Colts fans and also the Patriots F.O. and Bill Polian.

Beating the Colts means more than beating any other team because it nearly always means something (and its now at the stage where it would still be very sweet even if one of us wasn't playoff bound)

As for Bronco's/Patriots - i'd like there to be a rivalry but the truth is they pretty much own us.

You said "I only really care about rivalry's where something is at stake - and that is probably the case with most fans who find themselves as a neutral regarding the two teams involved." - that was my entire point. - Even if the Colts and Pats had not played in the regular season last year we all would have watched the AFCCG with the same anticipation - not b/c of the so called rivalry, but b/c it is a good game between two great teams.

I guess this relates back to what I was saying above, and all the stuff that goes on between the fanbases and between the F.O's in the media.

I remember the Steeler/Patriots AFCCG's being super charged with competitive spirit but there was very little bad blood between the teams or even the fans.

The Steelers also dont have a guy on the competition commitee who decides what rules get 're-emphasized' - rules that, coincidentally, favor high powered offenses.

rbryan
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
The Patsies and the colts both were doormats for years until just recently. Hardly the definition of a great rivalry.

BTW the last two SB winners were the Colts and the Steelers not the the Colts and Pats.

Edman
07-11-2007, 04:02 AM
Colts/Pats is the equivalent of Steelers/Raiders during the 70's. Two Strong Teams from two different divisions. One Team won a lot of championships, while frustrating the other on occasion to get there. The frustrated team is referred to as the snakebit bridesmaid to the "dynasty" team, but finally won a championship('06 Colts, '76 Raiders). Notice the Similarity?

LarryNJ
07-11-2007, 04:59 AM
The Pats and Colts don't even make the top 5 and certianly isn't the greatest in the NFL.

Redskins/Cowboys - For the last 40+ years it has been ugly. They have won 8 super bowls between them and they have had similar owners with big egos.

or

Bears-Packers over 70 years and good percentage of players in Canton.

Michigan - Ohio State oppsss that's not the NFL :)

Tankus_Maximus
07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
I miss the relatively short-lived Steelers/Jags rivalry. When the Steelers and Jags were still in the AFC Central, they had some really entertaining and close-fought games against each other.

That was/is a great rivalry!! Every game had hits that sounded like mini-car-wrecks!!

And to add fuel to the fire, it seemed like the Jags were always picking up ex-Steelers!!

Sneaky Coughlin.:flap:

Tankus_Maximus
07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
It not just that they have been the two best teams, its the fact that they do have history (although alot of the interesting stuff is compacted into the last 5 years or so) of some big battles - whenever they played it was either in the playoffs or a regular season game that would decide where the inevitable potseason game was going to be played.

For whatever reason, there is alot of antagonism between Patriots and Colts fans and also the Patriots F.O. and Bill Polian.

Beating the Colts means more than beating any other team because it nearly always means something (and its now at the stage where it would still be very sweet even if one of us wasn't playoff bound)
As for Bronco's/Patriots - i'd like there to be a rivalry but the truth is they pretty much own us.

I guess this relates back to what I was saying above, and all the stuff that goes on between the fanbases and between the F.O's in the media.

I remember the Steeler/Patriots AFCCG's being super charged with competitive spirit but there was very little bad blood between the teams or even the fans.

The Steelers also dont have a guy on the competition commitee who decides what rules get 're-emphasized' - rules that, coincidentally, favor high powered offenses.

This is so very true....it's the equivalent of knocking the living snot out of the "Big Man on Campus". You know the guy, the guy with all the new & cool toys, who's always got the hottest chick on his arm, and driving a car that he shouldn't possibly be driving while in high school, that's Peyton. And there's nothing more satisfying than seeing his enlarged fore-head get driven into the ground by a blitzing linebacker.

Livinginthe past
07-11-2007, 11:44 AM
This is so very true....it's the equivalent of knocking the living snot out of the "Big Man on Campus". You know the guy, the guy with all the new & cool toys, who's always got the hottest chick on his arm, and driving a car that he shouldn't possibly be driving while in high school, that's Peyton. And there's nothing more satisfying than seeing his enlarged fore-head get driven into the ground by a blitzing linebacker.

Ha. That made me laugh.

True. Very true.

MasterOfPuppets
07-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Colts/Pats is the equivalent of Steelers/Raiders during the 70's. Two Strong Teams from two different divisions. One Team won a lot of championships, while frustrating the other on occasion to get there. The frustrated team is referred to as the snakebit bridesmaid to the "dynasty" team, but finally won a championship('06 Colts, '76 Raiders). Notice the Similarity?

what he said.....^^^^

silver & black
07-12-2007, 07:26 PM

I have to disagree with that. The similarities are there, but the colts/pats thing hasn't gone on near as long as the steelers/raiders thing did.

No two teams have ever beaten up on each other or played such brutal, passionate football as the Raiders/Steelers of that era. I still love to play the Steelers. It isn't what it once was, but If you are an older fan and remember those days, it still gets your heart rate up.

The Pats/Colts have a ways to go before they ever reach that status.

boLT fan
07-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I have to disagree with that. The similarities are there, but the colts/pats thing hasn't gone on near as long as the steelers/raiders thing did.

No two teams have ever beaten up on each other or played such brutal, passionate football as the Raiders/Steelers of that era. I still love to play the Steelers. It isn't what it once was, but If you are an older fan and remember those days, it still gets your heart rate up.

The Pats/Colts have a ways to go before they ever reach that status.

As sad as it is, you'll never see that thought beat-em-up style of football again, so this is probably the closest thing we'll have to the Steelers/Raiders for a while. Just because it hasn't gone as long doesn't mean anything, compare this to the first 4 or 5 years of the Steelers/Raiders.

silver & black
07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
As sad as it is, you'll never see that thought beat-em-up style of football again, so this is probably the closest thing we'll have to the Steelers/Raiders for a while. Just because it hasn't gone as long doesn't mean anything, compare this to the first 4 or 5 years of the Steelers/Raiders.

I agree... we will never see that kind of football again.I don't think the Colts/Pats qualify just yet. The Steelers/Raiders rivalry was damn near a decade long... untill the Colts/Pats keep it going for a couple of more years, I don't think it stands up to the Raiders/Steelers........ yet.

This is a rivalry. http://www.greatsportsrivalries.com/70s/team70s.html

Livinginthe past
07-13-2007, 01:58 AM
I thought this was about the best rivalries in the NFL right now?

Steelers/Raiders certainly was a huge rivalry - and historically maybe we aren't quite up there yet - but the Patriots/Colts have packed alot of drama into 4/5 years.

ChronoCross
07-14-2007, 01:02 AM
I am very surprise no one said Browns vs Bengals. Remember back when Brown started coaching the Browns first, then got fired and he went off and help create the Bengals which after he named the stadium Paul Brown and created dang near the same away and home jerseys as the Browns and was a Heated Rivalry for very long time with Brown having it out for the Browns.

Every AFC North is a heated rivalry tho now a days. Bengals and Steelers of lately has been bad blood.

Edman
07-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I noticed the Steelers have developed a rivalry with a lot of teams.

The AFC North rivalries need no explanation. The Browns, Bengals, and Ravens all treat the Steelers with great distain. Sure, all three hate each other, but their individual hatred for the Steelers is incredible. All Three teams had players/coaches that took potshots at the Steelers, the players, and the fans in the media in recent years.

Other teams I noticed:
Titans/Oilers
Jaguars
Raiders
Cowboys
Bills (Esp. in the Early 90's)

Elvis
07-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I think that the Steelers right now biggest rival in the AFC North is the Bengals, but the Ravens are the team that we need to beat to be Division Champs. The all-time best rivalry for the Steelers has to be the Browns though. Out of division has to be a draw between the Raiders and Cowboys in my heart.