PDA

View Full Version : LLT's preseason Defensive Grade

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
D-Line
Undrafted free-agent Willie Parker is considered the ultimate "value" pick, yet 7th rounder DE Brett Keisel could be mentioned in the same conversation. Keisel led the team last year in QB pressures and showed an athletisism that Tomlin seems determined to use in multiple sets this year.
On the other side is Aaron Smith whom some scouts call "the perfect 3-4 End". Smith has started all but 8 games since coming to the Steelers as a 4th round pick in 1999 and has publicly expressed a desire to play his entire career in Pittsburgh.
Mammoth Casey Hampton is considered the best NT in the game and consistantly takes up two and sometimes three offensive linemen.
Depth is something of a concern at the End position with Travis Kirschke missing several games over the last two years with back problems and rookie Ryan Bean tentatively being penciled in as the other backup. Luckily,both Smith and Keisel have proven to be resilient and will play through minor injuries. Behind Hampton is Chris Hoke who would be a starter on many teams.
Grade A+

LB
The grade at Linebacker will be the one position that we will see the greatest difference of opinion. On one hand some will argue that Pittsburghs LB's slipped last year and the loss of team leader Joey Porter will be detrimental. On the other hand there are those who will say that our weak secondary forced our LB's to fall back into cover more last year and therefore pressured the QB less. This situation was addressed early in the draft with the pickups of Lawrence Timmons and Lamarr Woodley, both who will see special team play and eventually more and more time at LB before the season is over.
Porters swagger will be missed but James Harrison has proven in the past that he is more than capable enough to fill in as a starter. Harrison is young and powerful,and perhaps one of our best pure pass rushing LB's. He may be a slight step down from a "young" Porter, but the Front Office made the right move and put their trust in Harrison and the draft istead of selling our future on an aging player. I think Harrison is going to be a pleasant surprise.
On the other side is the "other" OLB Clark Haggans , who is dependable and very good in coverage, but can get tied up when playing the run. Look for Clark to give up some third down situations by the end of the year as we groom our two young draft picks.
Inside Linebackers James Farrior and Larry Foote are tough and versatile. Farrior is getting older but is only a season removed from being considered the defensive player of the year. Foote isnt as athletic as Farrior and not as good in coverage but is still a great run-stopper.
Backups Clint Kriewaldt & Rian Wallace are unspectacular and Inside Linebacker will be a position looked at early in the next draft
Grade B

Secondary
Oh Boy............Well, here goes. The good news is that Safety will be a position of strength this year with All-world Troy Polamalu and up-and-coming star Anthony Smith. Troy is the most disruptive player in the league. When used correctly, he keeps QB's heads on a swivel, wondering not only where he is but where he is going. He has the athleticism to play like a LB, and the speed to come out of nowhere and snatch the ball out of the air. Smith is quickly getting a reputation as a "big-hitter" and will be forever remembered for knocking the tattoo off of the poor punt returner from Philly.
Cornerback is another story. Last year Ike was benched for giving up too many long throws and jumpballs. Ike had a sit-down with the new coach and hopefully Tomlin will be able to restore Taylor's confidence and bring him back to 2005 form, when he seemed poised for stardom. On the other side will be Bryant McFadden who wont wow anyone with speed but has good instincts and seems to know where the ball will be.
Our defense ranked in the top 10 in 8 different categories last year, but the achilles heel was most positively our CB play. We cant afford to be ranked in the bottom 4th of the league in pass defense. Some would say that moving Deshea Townsend to nickel back may help considerably as he was burnt like people in Chicago vote....early and often.
Safety depth is good with Clark, Logan and Carter but CB depth is thin with Townsend and potential bust Ricardo Colclough backing up the starters.
Grade C

Special Teams
Chris Gardocki is gone. (By the way...did you know that he never had a punt blocked *sarcasm*) He will be replaced by Daniel Sepulveda who is built like a linebacker and comes to the Steelers with a college resume that is impressive. But he will find out early that the Steeler-faithful could care less about what he did in college as to "whatcha gonna do now".
Jeff Reed is back after a less than stellar year, (20 for 27) in which he became victim to the "wicked winds of Heintz Field" which was the site of all seven field goals that he missed.
KR/PR should be improved with the return of unproven Willie Reid, who was a record setting returner in college. Holmes and Davenport are also capable of returning if needed.
Grade B-

pittsburghp8baller
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM
nice work, def think our corners is our greatest question mark. even bigger than what we our goin to get out of harrison/timmons/woodley. its def time for ike taylor to step up and show why we invested that money in him.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I think corners are our grettest weakness but Taylor and McFadden will step up this year IMO and hopefully Coke will do a little bit of playing being in a contract year.

Preacher
07-10-2007, 01:59 PM
D-Line
Yep
Grade A+

LB
Hard to judge.. Either this corp will shine this year, or we will see the beginning of the switch to 4-3 because the new LB's just can't keep up in a 3-4 scheme. For the information we have now... I gotta agree...
Grade B

Secondary
LOL.. Your brave for even touching this one. Don't forget however that our new coach was a secondary coach first... Good call on the grade
Grade C

Special Teams
Please... no fumbles, no muffed punts... no silly misses on fieldgoals.
Grade B-

OneForTheToe
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Nicely done. I would agree with the grade for the most part. I might have given us a B or B- for the secondary because the safety positions grade out at an A in my opinion. Still, pretty accurate acount overall.

The Duke
07-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Another great job LLT. I wasn't aware all of Reed's missed kicks were at Heinz Field, hopefully he can do better this year with the new special team coordinators. I really expect that by the end of the year on another review we'll see our secondary with a better grade, I know Troy and Anthony will cause some havoc on the field for the offense, just hope Ike does play like in 2005, we have a former secondary coach as a head coach so he should play up to his potential.

Steelerstrength
07-10-2007, 02:41 PM
An honest rundown of our D. It's difficult to admit our weakness in the secondary. (at least for me it is) There's nothing more that I can add to your synopsis of the corners.

The D-line is where the action is. I look for us to achieve some penetration this year, so we can allow some freedom for our LB'ers. Can't wait for the much anticipated freedom to move for Keisel.

Special Teams can only improve, and cannot possibly get worse. By virtue of a new season means we will be improved at ST's.

Great job LLT!

LambertLunatic
07-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm going to buck the trend here and switch your grades for LB's and the secondary. The lack of a consistent pass rush forced the corners to cover longer than could be reasonably expected. I believe that if our front 7 can generate more pressure, the secondary will be a strong point for the defense.

Crushzilla
07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Shouldn't the LBers be an A++ since we have TWO rookies there?

Kiiiidding

FourThreeMafia
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Nice write up, couple things...

Keisel led the team last year in QB pressures

All that means is he didnt close the deal. Sounds cold and harsh...But its true.

1 of those pressures led to a turnover(int)

Mammoth Casey Hampton is considered the best NT

Actually third by some accounts.

Williams is the universal number 1.

Wilfork and Hampton 2-3 either way.

Depth

Nick Eason has promise.

Chris Hoke who would be a starter on many teams.

I hear this alot..I dont buy it. MAYBE the Browns, but Hoke would not start for any of the other 3-4 teams.

Teams avg almost 5.5 YPC when Hoke played last year. Hampton must be in better shape in 07.

Harrison is young

29...thats not that young, especially for a 3-4 LB.

perhaps one of our best pure pass rushing LB's.

Thats not saying much

I think Harrison is going to be a pleasant surprise

I dont completely disagree, but if Timmons is signed early and healthy he will be the starter at ROLB. Harrison has a million dollar escalator clause if he starts.

Clark Haggans , who is dependable and very good in coverage

Youre kidding right? He is neither.

Foote isnt as athletic as Farrior and not as good in coverage but is still a great run-stopper.

He cant tackle and he cant run...Only .2 of a second slower then some DT's.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-11-2007, 11:34 AM
FourThreeMafia;263828]Nice write up, couple things...

All that means is he didnt close the deal. Sounds cold and harsh...But its true.

well..actually ...no. Putting pressure on a QB and making him get rid of the ball prematurely is more than "not closing the deal"..

"Universal" would mean that it is generally accepted...That is simply not true...Hampton is mentioned as the nest NT in football regularly. In fact I have a magazine beside me right now that gives Hampton a 9.0 grade...and Williams an 8.7.....as for being THIRD....???

I hear this alot..I dont buy it. MAYBE the Browns, but Hoke would not start for any of the other 3-4 teams.

Teams avg almost 5.5 YPC when Hoke played last year. Hampton must be in better shape in 07.

Short list of teams that Hoke could play for....(since I didnt mention starting for a 3-4....I listed all of them that he could possibly be a starter on)
Cincy-over the aging Adam's 14 tackles last year...Cleveland (as you mentioned) , Broncos-over Burton who has 0 NFL tackles...Texans- over Travis Johnson...Indy-over rookie Pitcok...Arizona-over Clancy...Carolina-over Kemoeatu...Chicago-with no legitimate right tackle now that they have dropped Tank Johnson...Eagles-over Broderick Bunckley...Washington- over Salave'a

29 is considered prime for a LB...the reference to young was that our LB corp is aging and he didnt fall into that category

He rarely misses games...(dependable)...and I will give you your opinion on his coverage skills though I think he is under-rated....and rarely got burned last year even with a slip in the LB corp play.

He is an above average 3-4 LB and is .2 seconds faster than some TE's

....He doesnt have to play sideline to sideline. He fills the gaps and has very good hands....

Let me get this straight..you think Haggans and Foote are bad LBers...but think Starks is a GOOD RT...????

The Duke
07-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Putting pressure on a QB is much more than that, it disrupts the timing the QB has to think and throw the ball, making him do errant throws, which unfortunately happened a lot to us last season:dang:

mental.apparition
07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Great piece, LLT! I much prefer fan-generated team analysis over the mainstream cows and your write up is a perfect example of sound analysis by fans

D-Line - Grade A+
Hampton's game seemed to decline a bit in '06 but is still one of the top NT is the league. I'm hoping he can return to dominant form this year. As he gets older conditioning could be an issue. Losing some of that gut would help.

Smith is very under-appreciated by most fans. But you know what you're getting when you put him on the field - a top notch 3-4 end.

I don't understand the knocks on Kiesel. As if QB pressures don't matter?? I look at it this way:
In Kiesel's first year starting in place of Kimo V., the Steelers run defense stayed near excellent and the pass rush from that position was greatly improved. Kiesel will only improve with experience.

Depth is another issue. There are no questions with Hoke but after that are a lot of questions. Potential, yes, but no answers yet. And the front line is in desperate need of quality backups that can keep starters fresh without giving up the house.

A unit with any questions can't receive an A+ in my opinion.

LB - Grade B
With the Steelers LB traditions it's hard to argue against your grade even entering a season with high profile rooks expected to contribute immediately.

I don't think Porter will be missed much if at all on the field. His 'swagger' as of late was way more bark than bite and it was time for him to go. Harrison will be the starter week 1. Let's hope Timmons can get his ass on the field and stay there and have an impact.

Farrior has been the best LB on the team for a few years and I think he has a few left. Foote is another under appreciated player who fans like to knock. Like Smith at DE he isn't flashy, yet packs his lunch and gets the job done.

Haggans is solid and will benefit greatly if Woodley can give him a blow this year. Clark might even be able to avoid the annual 2 or 3 game injury if the rook can get on the field.

Kriewaldt shouldn't make the roster this year. I haven't seen enough of Wallace to be down on him but his versatility to place inside and out is a bonus. He's made some plays when called upon.

Secondary - Grade C
You said it well. The safety corps is rock solid and better than the Steelers have had in years. Cornerbacks on the other hand...well...that is Tomlin's specialty right? Improved coaching and schemes will benefit this group. The entire CB group has some 'splaining to do.

I have some doubts whether Anthony Smith can unseat Clark as the starter this year, but that is a nice problem for the Steelers to have.

The 'average' grade is about right.

Special Teams - Grade B-
Sepulveda - we'll see if he warrants the high draft pick. Reed - he had some bad misses last year and should be starting to feel the flames of unemployment on his right foot.

Returners - a complete mess with the uncertain injury status of the unproven Reid. Dookie Davenport provided some spark on kick offs last year. After Reid it's hard to find speed and stable hands on this team. This is a problem area that is at best a C and quite probably a C- if Reid can't stay on the field.

Steelerstrength
07-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Nice write up, couple things...

Nick Eason has promise.

Thats not saying much

I dont completely disagree, but if Timmons is signed early and healthy he will be the starter at ROLB. Harrison has a million dollar escalator clause if he starts.

So, FTM, what is it that you like about our D? I assume you prefer to talk about the positive attributes and consequential contributions we'll witness this coming season. Please elaborate.

I admit to having a hard time hearing anything but complimentary or constructive about our Steelers. :cheers:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Great piece, LLT! I much prefer fan-generated team analysis over the mainstream cows and your write up is a perfect example of sound analysis by fans

Hampton's game seemed to decline a bit in '06 but is still one of the top NT is the league. I'm hoping he can return to dominant form this year. As he gets older conditioning could be an issue. Losing some of that gut would help.

Smith is very under-appreciated by most fans. But you know what you're getting when you put him on the field - a top notch 3-4 end.

I don't understand the knocks on Kiesel. As if QB pressures don't matter?? I look at it this way:
In Kiesel's first year starting in place of Kimo V., the Steelers run defense stayed near excellent and the pass rush from that position was greatly improved. Kiesel will only improve with experience.

Depth is another issue. There are no questions with Hoke but after that are a lot of questions. Potential, yes, but no answers yet. And the front line is in desperate need of quality backups that can keep starters fresh without giving up the house.

A unit with any questions can't receive an A+ in my opinion.

With the Steelers LB traditions it's hard to argue against your grade even entering a season with high profile rooks expected to contribute immediately.

I don't think Porter will be missed much if at all on the field. His 'swagger' as of late was way more bark than bite and it was time for him to go. Harrison will be the starter week 1. Let's hope Timmons can get his ass on the field and stay there and have an impact.

Farrior has been the best LB on the team for a few years and I think he has a few left. Foote is another under appreciated player who fans like to knock. Like Smith at DE he isn't flashy, yet packs his lunch and gets the job done.

Haggans is solid and will benefit greatly if Woodley can give him a blow this year. Clark might even be able to avoid the annual 2 or 3 game injury if the rook can get on the field.

Kriewaldt shouldn't make the roster this year. I haven't seen enough of Wallace to be down on him but his versatility to place inside and out is a bonus. He's made some plays when called upon.

You said it well. The safety corps is rock solid and better than the Steelers have had in years. Cornerbacks on the other hand...well...that is Tomlin's specialty right? Improved coaching and schemes will benefit this group. The entire CB group has some 'splaining to do.

I have some doubts whether Anthony Smith can unseat Clark as the starter this year, but that is a nice problem for the Steelers to have.

The 'average' grade is about right.

Sepulveda - we'll see if he warrants the high draft pick. Reed - he had some bad misses last year and should be starting to feel the flames of unemployment on his right foot.

Returners - a complete mess with the uncertain injury status of the unproven Reid. Dookie Davenport provided some spark on kick offs last year. After Reid it's hard to find speed and stable hands on this team. This is a problem area that is at best a C and quite probably a C- if Reid can't stay on the field.

NIce analysis on your first post...welcome to the forum!!!!

Preacher
07-11-2007, 03:31 PM
NIce analysis on your first post...welcome to the forum!!!!

Agreed....

MA...

You might wanna stop by our introduction thread and introduce yourself that we can all get to know ya!!

Welcome!

Aussie_steeler
07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks LLT for both posts. Really enjoyed them.

Also G'day to mental.apparition. Really enjoyed the input on your behalf. Welcome aboard.

I am really keen to see what effect Tomlin has on the ability of our secondary to improve this year. His knowledge, linked with Lebeau's, has to be a positive on this group. Lets hope he can bring out the best in IKE and MCFADDEN and fix the weakest link in our D.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks LLT for both posts. Really enjoyed them.

Also G'day to mental.apparition. Really enjoyed the input on your behalf. Welcome aboard.

I am really keen to see what effect Tomlin has on the ability of our secondary to improve this year. His knowledge, linked with Lebeau's, has to be a positive on this group. Lets hope he can bring out the best in IKE and MCFADDEN and fix the weakest link in our D.

I also want to see what Coke does this year in the secondary. I dont think I've ever see him make a good play on D.

FourThreeMafia
07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Let me get this straight..you think Haggans and Foote are bad LBers...but think Starks is a GOOD RT...????

Haggans is good in run support, thats it. He is a sub par rusher, and even worse in coverage. He is one dimensional and average at best. As far as LBs on the Steelers, average just doesnt cut it.

Foote is terrible. He missed more tackles than he made in 2006. I repeat, HE MISSED MORE TACKLES than he made. Id rather have Goo Wallace starting. He is bigger, faster and stronger and an overall better athlete, The only reason Foote has been our starter is because he was a Cowher guy, Foote may be the starter this year by default, but his run will soon come to an end.

As far as Starks, he is good, not great. Very underrated run blocker. With a few changes in his technique, he could be a solid pass blocker. He will never be great because he has poor balance and doesnt get great leverage. He can and will be better with Grimm gone.

Im sorry for those who dont like to hear negative facts about the Steelers. When the season starts I will be posting more often, and Im sure you will come to find out I am pretty up front with my feelings about them. If I dont like how someone is playing, you will hear about it. :thumbsup:

Crushzilla
07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Im sorry for those who dont like to hear negative facts about the Steelers. When the season starts I will be posting more often, and Im sure you will come to find out I am pretty up front with my feelings about them. If I dont like how someone is playing, you will hear about it. :thumbsup:

And why shouldn't you be up front?

If we were to be satisfied with the Steelers in every aspect, at all times, this would be a very boring message board indeed.

The Duke
07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I also want to see what Coke does this year in the secondary. I dont think I've ever see him make a good play on D.

Didn't he make an interception back in 2005, maybe I'm wrong, but even if he did it was probably a lucky shot :smile:

SteelerWatch
07-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Nice eval, LLT.

Let's face it, the starting lineup from last season will look dramatically different from what we see by then end of this season. I think several subpar starters will keep their jobs in the beginning (Foote, Townsend, *maybe* Kendall Simmons) but by the end of the year I predict the starting lineup will include Chukky Okobi, Willie Colon, LaMarr Woodley and Bryant McFadden. That's on top of Sean Mahan and probably Anthony Smith, with Nate Washington becoming the #3 receiver. And depending on how the season looks by week 14, we may even see Faneca pulled in favor of getting Kemoeatu a chance to show his stuff in a true game situation (if we've either clinched the division or are so far behind it doesn't matter anymore :) )

FTM, whatcha smokin'? :) Hampton is the best NT in the game according to most OL coaches and team scouts. I understand a certain level of pessimism after last season, but I will go to the grave believing that 80% of the blame lies on the offensive line and the secondary. The other 20 falls squarely on the shoulders of Roethlisberger.

FourThreeMafia
07-13-2007, 12:17 AM
FTM, whatcha smokin'? :) Hampton is the best NT in the game according to most OL coaches and team scouts. I understand a certain level of pessimism after last season, but I will go to the grave believing that 80% of the blame lies on the offensive line and the secondary. The other 20 falls squarely on the shoulders of Roethlisberger.

Obviously, not the same stuff youre smoking.

I would LOVE to see what OLine coaches who have faced both Williams and Hampton thought Hampton cause more problems.

Hampton is in a zone pressure defense with a lot of stunting. His only real responsiblity is stopping the run.

Jamal Williams is more of a one-technique, rushing up the field player, but also has to play the run effectively.

Its pretty much a case of Williams could do what Hampton does, but Hampton cant do what Williams does. Williams is a better all around athlete and is more vital to the Chargers D.

Casey is great, but Jamal is better.

aussiesteelers
07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Obviously, not the same stuff youre smoking.

I would LOVE to see what OLine coaches who have faced both Williams and Hampton thought Hampton cause more problems.

Hampton is in a zone pressure defense with a lot of stunting. His only real responsiblity is stopping the run.

Jamal Williams is more of a one-technique, rushing up the field player, but also has to play the run effectively.

Its pretty much a case of Williams could do what Hampton does, but Hampton cant do what Williams does. Williams is a better all around athlete and is more vital to the Chargers D.

Casey is great, but Jamal is better.

its actually around 50-50 among scouts who is the best nose tackle. know you have a right to say that jamal is better than casey. but jamal is definetely NOT a one gap rushing up the field player, his role in sand diegos defense is actually the same as caseys in ours, tie up two blockers and keep the linebackers free. they both primarily play run. i think casey is way better and the only reason people say jamal is better than casey is because san diego has better pass rushers around him which makes him more effective.

steelpride12
07-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Ya we would be amazing if it werent for the big secondary questionmark!

FourThreeMafia
07-13-2007, 01:42 PM
its actually around 50-50 among scouts who is the best nose tackle. know you have a right to say that jamal is better than casey. but jamal is definetely NOT a one gap rushing up the field player, his role in sand diegos defense is actually the same as caseys in ours, tie up two blockers and keep the linebackers free. they both primarily play run. i think casey is way better and the only reason people say jamal is better than casey is because san diego has better pass rushers around him which makes him more effective.

Are you kidding me? No it isnt, its apples and oranges.

Casey isnt asked to do what Jamaal does. Williams has quick twitch reactions and is very flexible and can squeeze through holes half his size. Add his strength and girth to the equation and you have a very special player. Casey is the IMMOVABLE OBJECT. 2 gap NT who plays 3 gaps. Better than any NT in the league at stopping the run, including Jamal Williams, but not by much. Williams is more disruptive, because he can get in the backfield and blow up plays.

If you like Hampton more, thats fine. Im not trying to convince anyone. But Williams does more and is a more rounded player. .

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Are you kidding me? No it isnt, its apples and oranges.

Casey isnt asked to do what Jamaal does. Williams has quick twitch reactions and is very flexible and can squeeze through holes half his size. Add his strength and girth to the equation and you have a very special player. Casey is the IMMOVABLE OBJECT. 2 gap NT who plays 3 gaps. Better than any NT in the league at stopping the run, including Jamal Williams, but not by much. Williams is more disruptive, because he can get in the backfield and blow up plays.

If you like Hampton more, thats fine. Im not trying to convince anyone. But Williams does more and is a more rounded player. .

I agree with you here. I think Casey is the best run stopping DT in the league but in 7 years he has only 4 sacks while Williams, who has played for 10 years, has 11.5 career sacks. At the end of each of their creers if we compare the numbers their talkle total will be similar but unless Casey starts to get sack crazy Williams will be the better pass rusher.

OneForTheToe
07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
But Casey has a the better nick . I'm not sure what if Jamal has any nicknames, but you can't be big snack for a nick if you are a nose tackle. Case closed. :wave:

FourThreeMafia
07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
But Casey has a the better nick . I'm not sure what if Jamal has any nicknames, but you can't be big snack for a nick if you are a nose tackle. Case closed. :wave:

And nicknames are what really matter, right? :banana:

Preacher
07-13-2007, 05:31 PM
And nicknames are what really matter, right? :banana:

Of course...

Just ask dookie!!

steelpride12
07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Of course...

Just ask dookie!!

back on subject everyone

OneForTheToe