PDA

View Full Version : Pens Sign Crosby to 5 Year $45 Million Deal!

X-Terminator
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
You've definitely earned it, Sid. Congratulations! :cheers:

Pens sign Crosby for $45 million over five years

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Kid became a rich man today.

Sidney Crosby and the Penguins agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension worth $45 million, a team official confirmed early this morning.

The extension will go into effect after his entry-level deal expires following this season, meaning Crosby will play in Pittsburgh for at least the next six seasons. It also buys out the first year of Crosby's unrestricted free-agent eligibility.

Crosby will become an unrestricted free agent following the 2012-13 season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_516584.html

Buzz05
07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
SAAAAWWWEEEEETT!!

83-Steelers-43
07-10-2007, 10:37 AM
What an offseason so far. Shero signs Sid and Whitney long term. Grabs two solid FA's and brings back a backup goalie who he regretted losing in the first place. Very nice. Now, let's look to Therrien's contract.

SteelCityMan786
07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
What an offseason so far. Shero signs Sid and Whitney long term. Grabs two solid FA's and brings back a backup goalie who he regretted losing in the first place. Very nice. Now, let's look to Therrien's contract.

That will definantly cap things off.

HometownGal
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I felt this incredible news deserved its own thread. :thumbsup: Thanks, XT, for getting the story hot off the press! :cheers:

The dynasty is in the making! :banana: Thank you, Mr. Shero! :cheers:

The Duke
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Great news

rbryan
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Wow, that is good news. Looks like the Pens aren't going to wait around to start spending $ from the new arena deal.

PisnNapalm
07-10-2007, 03:38 PM
That is excellent news for Crosby, the Pens and Pittsburgh.

section514
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Can Shero get hired to work for the Pirates too?:hunch:

SteelCityMan786
07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I felt this incredible news deserved its own thread. :thumbsup: Thanks, XT, for getting the story hot off the press! :cheers:

The dynasty is in the making! :banana: Thank you, Mr. Shero! :cheers:

It's all starting this Winter at Mellon Arena

Crushzilla
07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Not a Pens fan myself (don't watch hockey), but I couldn't be happier for the Penguins, the city, the fans, and especially Sid.

Glad to see that another Pittsburgh team will enjoy lasting success. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
07-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Not a Pens fan myself (don't watch hockey), but I couldn't be happier for the Penguins, the city, the fans, and especially Sid.

Glad to see that another Pittsburgh team will enjoy lasting success. :thumbsup:

Just need 1 more team and we're set.

X-Terminator
07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
And of course, we have the predictable parade of idiots who think we overpaid and screwed ourselves in the future when it comes time to pay Malkin, Staal and Fleury, as well as saying that his salary "really isn't a discount" and therefore he isn't really all that classy. They also used the familar "he's still too young and needs to mature before he can earn that kind of money." :yawn: :jerkit: I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure Ray Shero and the Pens considered every possible scenario, even the possibility of the salary cap either staying the same or dropping in the near future (which is the latest mantra from said idiots), before giving Sid the money THAT HE HAS EARNED AND DESERVES. So I trust what they are doing and that they won't have too much trouble keeping the core together. Besides, the last time I checked, we didn't move to New York and change our colors to red, white and blue. :coffee:

Crushzilla
07-10-2007, 10:46 PM
And of course, we have the predictable parade of idiots who think we overpaid and screwed ourselves in the future when it comes time to pay Malkin, Staal and Fleury, as well as saying that his salary "really isn't a discount" and therefore he isn't really all that classy. They also used the familar "he's still too young and needs to mature before he can earn that kind of money." :yawn: :jerkit: I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure Ray Shero and the Pens considered every possible scenario, even the possibility of the salary cap either staying the same or dropping in the near future (which is the latest mantra from said idiots), before giving Sid the money THAT HE HAS EARNED AND DESERVES. So I trust what they are doing and that they won't have too much trouble keeping the core together. Besides, the last time I checked, we didn't move to New York and change our colors to red, white and blue. :coffee:

I'm out of my element here in the hockey thread, but I thought I heard that the contract was structured to leave room to sign the other young stars...

X-Terminator
07-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm out of my element here in the hockey thread, but I thought I heard that the contract was structured to leave room to sign the other young stars...

It was - I've heard it's slightly front-loaded so that when Malkin and Staal are due to get big contracts in 2009, his salary and cap hit is less. But of course, most of these idiots (many of them root for that team in red, white and blue or that other team in Eastern PA that wears prison orange and black), haven't realized that.

SteelCityMan786
07-10-2007, 11:19 PM
It was - I've heard it's slightly front-loaded so that when Malkin and Staal are due to get big contracts in 2009, his salary and cap hit is less. But of course, most of these idiots (many of them root for that team in red, white and blue or that other team in Eastern PA that wears prison orange and black), haven't realized that.

The arena Filthy plays in is a joke and prison anyway.

TackleMeBen
07-10-2007, 11:20 PM
that other team in Eastern PA that wears prison orange and black), haven't realized that.

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: at prison orange and black... i use to be a huge lindros fan. in fact i paid 100.00 per ticket to see him play when they played the hurricanes. unfortunely he got a concussion like two or three games before and didnt play... man what a waste that was :banging:

LarryNJ
07-11-2007, 02:54 AM

They're clueless jag offs?

If anyone in the NHL should get the maxium salary allowed it should be Sid. The max is a little over $10 million. His contract has a yearly cap value of $8.7 million, so yes it is a discount!

$8.7 for number 87 who was born on 8/7/87 hmmmm..is that a coincidence?

section514
07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Mikey Prisuta had sounds clips today on DVE you can still catch them until 10:00, but Sid talks about how he wanted to not affect the cap room in the future so we could sign big contracts down the road, it was his main goal. He also had to keep the NHLPA happy as well, if he took too little of a contract salaries could be driven down for other players because the top player is only getting 8.7, yes I said ONLY haha, so going anything lower than 8.7 would affect the whole league. Sid did the right thing, got what he is worth and allowed for the Pens to be able to sign stall and malkin and anyone else we have coming up for new contracts coming in the next few years.

Cape Cod Steel Head
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Can Shero get hired to work for the Pirates too?:hunch:
My thoughts exactly.