PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Most Versatile Players of All Time

Crushzilla
07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
NFL Network just showed an ad for a show tomorrow, WED, at 9 P.M., that is a ranking of the top 10 most versatile players of all time.

They showed some clips of some of the guys, not disclosing ranking, and one of them will be none other than Kordell "Slash" Stewart...

Should be a good watch.

Mike Vrabel was also shown and after the ad Marshall Faulk was talking about people currently who should be considered, which Randle El was amongst.

fansince'76
07-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Should be interesting - I wonder how many of the old school "60-minute men" like Chuck Bednarik will be mentioned, if any?

Crushzilla
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I wasn't really listening because I was reading something on here, but I caught Bettis out of the corner of my eye (he was talking to Kordell pregame in a clip) I was instantly glued.

There was some black and white footage, however, haha... If that helps.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a good watch. Im willin to bet theres a couple of Steelers there.

Crushzilla
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
The Steelers always tend to have versatile guys... Vrabel and Stewart seemed to be the only two I saw, but I'll post the results after the show tomorrow for those of you who can't catch it.

PisnNapalm
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Rod Woodson was the first name I thought of.

Preacher
07-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Versatile???

I would have to say Cowher... no one could spit in as many directions as him when he was yelling!

The Duke
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd have to go with Ricardo Colclough. The guy can **** up on defense and then on the very next series, go right back out there and **** up on special teams.

lol:dang::sofunny:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I'd have to go with Ricardo Colclough. The guy can **** up on defense and then on the very next series, go right back out there and **** up on special teams.

:sofunny::sofunny::toofunny:

Crushzilla
07-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Here are the results with a little blurb on each guy for those of you who may not know the older guys...

10.) Tom Matte, Colts - Running back who played QB for the Colts after Unitas went down. The Packers defense gave him a lot of trouble in a playoff game and the Colts lost in overtime. In a "runner up bowl" against the Cowboys, though, the Colts let Matte throw and were rewarded with a victory.
9.) George Blanda, Bears/Oilers/Raiders - Third string Bears QB who was moved to linebacker due to outstanding depth at QB, but was later only a kicker. The Oilers picked him up and he excelled as a QB with 36 TDs in a season. Played miraculously as a clutch kicker and unshakable quarterback despite being 43.
8.) Brian Mitchell, Redskins/Bears - Could throw the football, return punts, play running back. A college QB that was drafted as a "slash" player who Gibbs would try at any position because of his athleticism. After both QBs went down in a game against the Eagles he would go in and throw 3/5 with a rushing touchdown, but the Redskins fall short. A jack of all trades who is second all-time with total yards.
7.) Mike Vrabel, Steelers/Patriots - Versatile linebacker, who NFL Network claims was a diamond in the ruff found by the genius Belichik. 8 career catches for 8 touchdowns, including two in the Super Bowl.
6.) Kordell "Slash" Stewart, Steelers, Ravens - Another versatile rookie with "no where to play," so they tried him everywhere. Receiver, Quarterback, even known to punt. in '97 he was moved to full-time QB, but struggled with consistency. Led the Steelers to an AFC Championship his first year at QB, but never could really cut it.
An interesting note. One of the analysts said that Kordell would have been one of the best receivers if he had stayed there..
5.) Troy Brown, Patriots - First was a stellar return man and receiver. In 2004, the Patriots began using him in the secondary and after Samuel went down in the first minute of a game against the Rams he came in and played nickel back. He ended the season with 3 interceptions. He even played QB in a preseason game. When the Patriots need a big play at just about any position, they went to Troy Brown.
4.) Chuck Bednarik, Eagles - Played 14 seasons as a 60 minute man. Center and Linebacker who played every play of the game. Best known for a massive hit on Frank Gifford and dominated both sides of the ball only missing three games in his entire career. Considers todays NFL players as "pantywaists" and "*****foots" He's considered the last of the Iron Men.

Three more to go... Sigh... When does the season start again?

fansince'76
07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Three more to go... Sigh... When does the season start again?

Yeah, I know, but look at it this way - 12 days until training camp and then it's all downhill from there. I would imagine Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson will probably be 2 of the top 3.

Crushzilla
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
3.) "Neon" Deion "Primetime" Sanders, Falcons/Cowboys/Atlanta Braves/49ers/Ravens/Every team ever - Phenomenal Punt Returner, solid outfielder, shutdown corner. Played WR for the Cowboys in '96 during a Michael Irvin suspension and did very well. Amazing speed made him valuable at any position away from the line of scrimmage.

2.) Paul "The Golden Boy" Hornung, Packers - Heisman winning QB at Notre Dame who early on played QB, HB, FB in the NFL. When Lombardi came around he was put at Left HB and became known for his nose for the endzone. Became an effective placekicker, as well. Great lead blocker who could also run effectively with a powerful lower body. Could truly play any position on offense. In an off note he was a stud with the ladies, apparently.... don't know why that was in there.

and...

1.) "Slingin'" Sammy Baugh, Redskins - Revolutionized the QB position and took the desperation of the forward pass. Before this an offensive passing attack was almost unheard of. Led the league in Punting, Interceptions, and Passing in a single season. Averaged over 50 some yards a punt in a season and holds the obscure record of 4 Interceptions (not thrown... caught) and 4 TDs in one game. According to an analyst was Peyton Manning, Ray Guy, and Ronnie Lott rolled into one. Maybe the greatest all around player to ever play the game.

More proof its an offseason... I just actually did an analysis on a show...

Crushzilla
07-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I know, but look at it this way - 12 days until training camp and then it's all downhill from there. I would imagine Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson will probably be 2 of the top 3.

No Bo, though I'm sure he would have been there if it hadn't been for that brutal hip cutting him down.

After watching some of the footage and hearing some of these insane stats, like Baugh's, I can't be upset with the absence of some pretty versatile Steelers. Guys like Randle El and Hines Ward just don't hold a flame to some of the Iron Men.

A lot of big names have been very versatile, as well. From the "Fridge" pounding the ball to L.T.'s annual TD passes I feel like the NFL Network did a pretty good job focusing on pure versatility and not just studs who could do other things, as well.

ben2hines=6
07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
i wonder if they were referring to kordells off the field actions as well, i think we all know the steelers werent the only team he was playing for

fansince'76
07-11-2007, 11:34 PM
i wonder if they were referring to kordells off the field actions as well, i think we all know the steelers werent the only team he was playing for

Not that there's anything wrong with that....:chuckle:

Crushzilla
07-11-2007, 11:36 PM

I'm not entirely sure if extra curricular activities were taken into consideration on this certain poll... :sofunny:

Speaking of playing for other teams, Brian St. Pierre was given honorable mention for playing both QB and rat
:thumbsup:

Preacher
07-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Speaking of playing for other teams, Brian St. Pierre was given honorable mention for playing both QB and rat

:sofunny::sofunny:

Livinginthe past
07-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Glad to see 'Touchdown' Vrabel and 'Two-way' Troy make the list.

What I love about those guys is that their versatility has been expolited in some absolutely huge games - the 2 TD catches for Vrabel at TE in the SB and Troy Brown playing nickel back against the Colts in the postseason a few years back.

MasterOfPuppets
07-12-2007, 04:25 PM
how could a QB / cornholing champ not be on the list?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm not entirely sure if extra curricular activities were taken into consideration on this certain poll... :sofunny:

:toofunny: