PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin schedules tough camp

83-Steelers-43
07-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Steelers' Tomlin schedules tough camp
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Steelers will hit the ground running in their first training camp under head coach Mike Tomlin.

The players are due to report to St. Vincent College by 4 p.m. on July 23. That 4 p.m. deadline coincides with the annual camp-opening conditioning test.

Also on the itinerary are 15 two-a-days during the 25-day camp, which runs through Aug. 16.

"That is what NFL training camps are all about," Tomlin said in June upon concluding the offseason's organized team activities. "They are not supposed to be pleasant."

The Steelers had their conditioning tests the day after reporting during the Bill Cowher era.
Cowher also shied away from two-a-day practices in recent seasons.

The Steelers have two practices scheduled for five consecutive days, July 24-28.

Following an afternoon-only practice July 29, the Steelers will endure another set of five two-a-days (July 30-Aug. 3) in advance of opening the preseason against the New Orleans Saints at 8 p.m. Aug. 5 in Canton, Ohio, in the Hall of Fame Game.

The players' first off day, not counting the travel day to Ohio, will be Aug. 6, two weeks after their reporting date.

Their second and final off day will be Aug. 12, the day after hosting the Green Bay Packers at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 11.

Five more two-a-days have been scheduled between the Hall of Fame Game and the Steelers' third preseason game, at 8 p.m. Aug. 18 at the Washington Redskins, including three in a row over the final three days at St. Vincent.

The Steelers will break camp Aug. 17, the day before the Redskins game.

Night practices have been scheduled for July 27 (a Friday night at Latrobe High School) and Aug. 2 (a Thursday night at St. Vincent), both on the back end of a scheduled two-a-day.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_516632.html

The Duke
07-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Training camp is almost here, I can't wait!!

Preacher
07-11-2007, 12:02 AM
WOW...

It sure ain't camp cowher anymore!!

dhosmer
07-11-2007, 01:30 AM
lay down the law early, and erase problems and doubt later. kudos tomlin.

LarryNJ
07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
I think it's great that the players know they won't be at a country club. Do you think that Tomlin feels that last year the team was resting on the Super Bowl win and didn't give it their all?

Galax Steeler
07-11-2007, 04:15 AM
I can't wait to see what happens in camp.

Buzz05
07-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Man..I hate to say it...but sucks to be them in that Latrobe humidity!

section514
07-11-2007, 07:26 AM
camp is never fun, but I rather have two two-a-day practices than one day with one practice. At least from my experience, two a day practices are shorter in length. One a day practices are like three to four hours long, at least in college, as opposed to 1:45 to 2 hour long two-a day practices. Your one the field for just about the same amount of time, but you get a break in between with two a day practices.

Sith Lord
07-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I hope he doesn't burn these guys out before the season starts. 15 2-a-days in at 25 day camp? Even I think thats too much and i'm not even participating.

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2007, 07:44 AM
WOW...

Welcome to

CAMP TOMLIN

Boys and girls. Here, you will see guys working their behind off to win it all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-11-2007, 07:45 AM
If Faneca is irritated and disgruntled while sitting in his air-conditioned living room......???

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
If Faneca is irritated and disgruntled while sitting in his air-conditioned living room......???

He'll just end up cut.

TackleMeBen
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
they better lay off the cheeseburgers and hit the wheaties... they are going to working their butts off.. i like that mikey t is laying down the law.... i get the sense that mikey t thinks anything than another superbowl win will be disappointing.

HometownGal
07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
The Tomlinator wants 150% out of each of his players and he's going to make sure they are in tip-top shape for the season, no slackers allowed! Way to go Coach! :tt02:

(As a sidenote, wouldn't you just love to see Plax having to endure Camp Tomlin?) :toofunny:

memphissteelergirl
07-11-2007, 10:20 AM
WOW...

Like I've said before....there is definitely a new sherriff in town!

onthebus36
07-11-2007, 10:21 AM
This is smart.

If you set expectations high and guys expect a tough camp, they will be mentally, and hopefully physically, prepared for it. If it's too much, you can always dial it back. Also, you can adjust the schedule as a reward for hard work and extra effort.

Also, I think it makes sense to shoot for an A+ effort. If you go into anything shooting for a B, the best you are going to get is B-level effort.

There's an old saying in the military, "PPPPPP" which means "Proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance." I think Coach Tomlin is making sure that his team is focused, prepared, and sound on fundamentals.

Last, I trust the trainers and coaches to make sure the players aren't overworked.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Great idea. Get these guys into a tough mentality.

moedap
07-11-2007, 11:03 AM
I hope he doesn't burn these guys out before the season starts. 15 2-a-days in at 25 day camp? Even I think thats too much and i'm not even participating.

Come on these guys are professional athletes. If they cant handle a 4 hours of practice they need to be cut. I dont think they will be physically exerting themselves for all 4 hours of practice but I could be wrong because I have never seen a professional training camp practice.

Atlanta Dan
07-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Agreed - next thing we may be hearing is that water breaks are for sissies.

Repeated two a days came from the era where players sold tires or insurance in the offseason and came to camp to get into shape. Let's see how excited we are if the players get injured or leg weary from practice before the opener.

Regardless of his plans, if he gets a rainy July and early August (several years ago I recall Cowher said camp was literally a washout because of all the rain) Tomlin can forget his plans for intensive daily doubles of practice.

This does indicate Tomlin got the message from somewhere that training camp last year was a joke.

tony hipchest
07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
This does indicate Tomlin got the message from somewhere that training camp last year was a joke.lol.

i hope some of those double practices are a little laid back with minimal contact working on fundamentals. maybe 2 hours of actually practicing catching the ball. have players run through the gauntlet with the ball. juggs machine. jumping on live balls, and stuff like that.

TackleMeBen
07-11-2007, 11:29 AM
lol.

i hope some of those double practices are a little laid back with minimal contact working on fundamentals. maybe 2 hours of actually practicing catching the ball. have players run through the gauntlet with the ball. juggs machine. jumping on live balls, and stuff like that.

well we know its not going to be a 'cheesy' training camp... :thumbsup:

section514
07-11-2007, 11:44 AM
camp is never fun, but I rather have two two-a-day practices than one day with one practice. At least from my experience, two a day practices are shorter in length. One a day practices are like three to four hours long, at least in college, as opposed to 1:45 to 2 hour long two-a day practices. Your one the field for just about the same amount of time, but you get a break in between with two a day practices.:banging:

the players will be fine

The Duke
07-11-2007, 11:46 AM
(As a sidenote, wouldn't you just love to see Plax having to endure Camp Tomlin?) :toofunny:

He wouldn't have lasted a day :coffee:

fansince'76
07-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Agreed - next thing we may be hearing is that water breaks are for sissies.

After what happened to Korey Stringer, I sincerely hope not and kind of doubt it.

stlrtruck
07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
lol.

Let's not forget the fundamentals of TACKLING!!!! That would be superb! And how amazing would it be to watch our boys on Sunday and watch them WRAP UP rather than try to knock a RB or WR off their feet while giving a flying elbow (or some other weak attempt at a wrestling move)!

Atlanta Dan
07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Apparently the front office did not get the memo about all the two a days; the attached link states practice goes from 2:55-6:00 p.m. daily except for closed practices the day before the first two exhibition games

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07192/800865-66.stm

Maybe the new single wing offense will be installed during the unannounced, closed to the public, morning two a day sessions :smile:

mgsrush
07-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I am glad that a tough camp is on tap. These guys need to prepare for everyone coming at them. I work in Cleveland, and their entire season is predicated on beating Pittsburgh.

:banging:

Preacher
07-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Apparently the front office did not get the memo about all the two a days; the attached link states practice goes from 2:55-6:00 p.m. daily except for closed practices the day before the first two exhibition games

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07192/800865-66.stm

Maybe the new single wing offense will be installed during the unannounced, closed to the public, morning two a day sessions :smile:

you know... I have often wondered if the single wing could be utilized in today's NFL... Not regularly, but as a wrinkle. Especially when we had ARE that could run or pass out of the formation.