PDA

View Full Version : Steelers "Close to" Extending Polamalu/Signing Woodley

83-Steelers-43
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Take it for what it's worth......

Steelers “close to extending” Polamalu’s contract
July 10th, 2007 by Neal Coolong

According to an Insider report by Steel City Insider writer Jim Wexell, the Steelers are “close to extending the contract of All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu.”

The posting is linked under exclusive content for Scout.com subscribers, and does not go into any more detail than Wexell stating a source within the team saying this is accurate.

Wexell advises the reader to stay with Steel City Insider for more updates, which isn’t usual for him. The report is filed under “The Latest in Steelers News:” section of Steel City Insider, which lets its writers tease the topics they will be writing about, or just report smaller news that wouldn’t normally make an entire feature. But Wexell hasn’t generally hinted at breaking news in this section. The fact he tells the reader to stay tuned indicates this is something that is likely to be announced soon, perhaps as early as today.

He also reports that the Steelers are also close to inking second-round pick LaMarr Woodley, and for the sake of PR and respect for their players, they would not announce both he and Polamalu’s contract on the same day.

So be on the lookout. It’s looking to be a great week for the Steelers, and perhaps a historical one. Baltimore’s Ed Reed is the highest paid safety in the game. FS Ryan Clark is the highest paid Steeler safety.

http://diehardsteel.com/2007/07/10/steelers-close-to-extending-polamalus-contract/

rbryan
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
That would make for a great week.

The Duke
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Finally, I just hope is before training camp starts. :helmet:

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Alright good news. Finish it off Colbert.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Signing Troy will put a smile on my face for quite awhile...Woodley is just icing on the cake

SteelCityMan786
07-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Signing Troy will put a smile on my face for quite awhile...Woodley is just icing on the cake

Yeah it sure does give it some good flavoring.

onthebus36
07-11-2007, 07:05 PM

Woodley is the icing. Troy is the rest of the meal.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Somebody mentioned this two days ago on the other Steelers site I post at......Hey didn't say the source though so I didn't pay to much attention to it....Still don't know what to think...I think its cool that Woodley is close to signing....If its true the Steelers are locking up Troy this soon then if he does resign before camp then I will streak naked around my block..........My neighbor is a hot chick anyway so I have two reasons to do it....lol

The Duke
07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Woodley is the icing. Troy is the rest of the meal.

A Samoan meal :yummy:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
This is great news. Hopefully Gilbert gets Troy a new contract before training camp opens and I cant wait to see Woodly this season.

Atlanta Dan
07-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Will be interested to see if Troy (deservedly) gets Ed Reed $$. Definitely want this done in the next week.

Sound bite I would want to hear if it happens is whomever has the cojones to ask Faneca if he thinks Troy's contract is a fair deal for a respected vet.

Livinginthe past
07-12-2007, 02:21 AM
My gut feeling is that the Troy deal will get done.

If he gets Ed Reed money - it is deserved (as Atlanta Dan says).

If the Steelers get him signed for less they have done an even more outstanding job.

stillers4me
07-12-2007, 06:50 AM
I Troy signs a deal, and he's happy, then I'm happy. Faneca needs to keep his opinion out of it.

Godfather
07-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Obviously bogus, everyone knows the Rooneys are cheap, right?

section514
07-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Troy drives a Kia, he won't ask for Reed Money

83-Steelers-43
07-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Troy drives a Kia, he won't ask for Reed Money

lol, I wouldn't bet on that.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Im gonna say he gets less than Ed Reed but not much less.

section514
07-12-2007, 11:48 AM
lol, I wouldn't bet on that.

he seriously drives a KIA sportage or sorento i can't remember

83-Steelers-43
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
he seriously drives a KIA sportage or sorento i can't remember

Oh I know he drives a KIA. I just don't see him taking less money simply because he drives a KIA...lol. He's an athlete. He has an agent. He plays in the NFL. Just because he's a nice guy and happens to drive a hippy car doesn't mean he's not going to go out there and get all the money he and his agent can possibly get.

If he does, I would be very surprised. But I'm not holding my breath.

section514
07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't think he will, and the way the steelers are, I can't see him getting anything near Reed Money, and Troy's not the kind of player that wants to take all the money in the world, I honestly think he would play for free if it was up to him, his wife may say otherwise...

83-Steelers-43
07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
and Troy's not the kind of player that wants to take all the money in the world, I honestly think he would play for free if it was up to him,

I bet many were saying the same about that once quiet leader/blue collar type player named Alan Faneca. :wink02:

Livinginthe past
07-12-2007, 12:06 PM
There was a German soccer player called Jurgen Kilnsmann who used to drive a VW Beetle to training every day (all his team mates drove Ferrari's, Porsche's etc).

It didn't stop him making more money than most of them in wages.

A players ego, and their perception of how good he is, is nearly always tied into how much salary he is making (just like alot of regular people).

onthebus36
07-12-2007, 12:22 PM
And don't forget, the agent does the negotiations and he gets a percentage of whatever he can get for Troy.

While Troy is a well grounded guy, it's clear from interviews that he understands every NFL player is only one hit away from unemployment.

But I think it's irrelevant because Troy is going to get a nice payday.

fansince'76
07-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Sounds promising, but I won't breathe easy until Troy actually inks an extension, and not before.

TackleMeBen
07-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Sounds promising, but I won't breathe easy until Troy actually inks an extension, and not before.

i agree with you '76.:tt02:

Preacher
07-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I would surmise Troy wouldn't try to bust the bank... he is the type of player that understands it is more the just money.. it is team, atmosphere and family as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a few million under Reed... with some bonuses and safe money. However, I think he will also allow some room for the Steelers to keep some better players under contract... Like Ben, a new receiver to replace Hines when he retires, and money to resign (hey.. anything is possible) Faneca or get his replacement.

paw-n-maul-u
07-13-2007, 01:28 AM
I would surmise Troy wouldn't try to bust the bank... he is the type of player that understands it is more the just money.. it is team, atmosphere and family as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a few million under Reed... with some bonuses and safe money. However, I think he will also allow some room for the Steelers to keep some better players under contract... Like Ben, a new receiver to replace Hines when he retires, and money to resign (hey.. anything is possible) Faneca or get his replacement.

I don't think there is any chance he gets less than Reed. First off, hes a better safety. period. I try not to read to much into some of the ESPN articles but there was just recently one that had the feature part of the article about how Reed was the nfl's most overrated safety. Not that it matters.

Really the bottom line is this: Polomalu's agent gets a cut of the money ... if he allows the steelers to "low ball" them, he'll lose clients ... and more money. Not to mention with the expanding salary cap/bogus mega-million dollar contracts that some players have unjustly received this offseason, I really just can't see him getting anything less than Reed. It's not like we can't afford it.

Preacher
07-13-2007, 04:32 AM
I don't think there is any chance he gets less than Reed. First off, hes a better safety. period. I try not to read to much into some of the ESPN articles but there was just recently one that had the feature part of the article about how Reed was the nfl's most overrated safety. Not that it matters.

Really the bottom line is this: Polomalu's agent gets a cut of the money ... if he allows the steelers to "low ball" them, he'll lose clients ... and more money. Not to mention with the expanding salary cap/bogus mega-million dollar contracts that some players have unjustly received this offseason, I really just can't see him getting anything less than Reed. It's not like we can't afford it.

Actually... No,

here is Reeds contract... This week, the Ravens reached a contract extension with Ed Reed, making him the highest paid safety in the NFL. Reed signed a seven-year deal worth $40 million, which includes $13 million in bonuses in the first year of the contract....

we have about 1.2, 1.4 millions of cap room this year but we have Ben's contract to work through, a good guard to replace Faneca, not to mention we only have 3 years left on Willie's contract, with the fat part of both his and Ward's contract coming up in the next couple of years. If Anthony Smith works out, or any of our 3rd or 4th round picks work out nicely, we will have a significant amount of money in the next couple of years we will have to pay them as well, as their contracts are usually 2, 3, 4 years long.

We need to keep Polamalu... absolutely... there is no choice about that... but we have to be careful how much we pay him... cause we CAN'T afford to go wild with the money.

If we sign Polamalu to Reed's money or above... and then Ben, I will almost guarantee that we lose Ward after next year (2008 season), or maybe before it... unless he takes a MASSIVE pay cut. Even then, if Willie keeps running the way we want him too... we will run into problems from bonuses... same with Ben throwing. Then, in three more years (after 2009), just when the meat of Troy's and Ben's contracts are hitting... we have to find money to resign Willie... who will ALSO be garnering top dollar attention.

So no, we really don't have a lot of money to spend.

(sure will be nice when we are a little more free by dropping "The Great Sweatsuit Model's" salary cap hit...
However, we need that money to get a legitamate number two back... and another receiver to train under Hines to take his spot when he leaves.

Kinda funny... all these players (Ward, Porter, Polamalu, Faneca) said they wanted to be a Steeler, stay a steeler... but not all of them can when it comes to the money they ask for.

Galax Steeler
07-13-2007, 04:47 AM
I think troy will sign for less money but with faneca gone next year that will ease the money situation.

steelpride12
07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
the second i see troy signed i will prob. cry in happyness :(

The Duke
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
the second i see troy signed i will prob. cry in happyness :(

I will probably do like black@gold forever32 and streak naked around my block, only I don't gave a hot neighbor so it won;t be as good :flap:

TackleMeBen
07-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I will probably do like black@gold forever32 and streak naked around my block, only I don't gave a hot neighbor so it won;t be as good :flap:

i can give you my sister's address and you could streak for her :flap::flap:. after all she is a jets fan...

FastWillieParker39
07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Signing Troy would be SWEEET!! It would be great to lock him up for long term!

LambertLunatic
07-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Really the bottom line is this: Polomalu's agent gets a cut of the money ... if he allows the steelers to "low ball" them, he'll lose clients ... and more money.

True, but if Troy tells his agent that he'll give a hometown discount, the agent can't overrule him. This isn't to say that Troy will sign for the vet minimum, but I think that he'll sign for less here in order to have stability. He's set for life even with a hometown discount and won't have to uproot his family. He seems more likely than your average player to accept a bit under market value to stay put.

rbryan
07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't know about that. He could get 10-15 million more somewhere else on the open market. Maybe a lot more than that based on what the Colts just overpaid Freeney today. I'd move somewhere else for a lot less than that, but then again I'm living in Georgia now. lol

I'm cautiouly optimistic but holding my breath till this happens. The longer they wait the more expensive its going to be to sign him. Based on what happened today with Freeney, they may have already waited too long.

tony hipchest
07-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm cautiouly optimistic but holding my breath till this happens. The longer they wait the more expensive its going to be to sign him. Based on what happened today with Freeney, they may have already waited too long.this is just a business deal at its finest. everyone knew the colts were gonna sign freeney long term. even irsay said it would get done well over a month ago.

now i dont know what type of money market accounts these teams keep their money in but its obvious irsay had 300 mil sitting around somewhere to cut a check that big. even letting it sit at 3%, my rough math says it earned $100,000 in 1 month for the colts as opposed to freeney. thats executive bonus money right there.

theres a reason tryo hasnt been given his big check yet. look at the mark bulger situation. he wanted to get a new deal done in january or febuary, and he is looking at top 5 qb $$$ which should be about 25 mil. theres absolutely no reason the rams shouldnt sit on that money until the last posible minute. earning a cool million or so in interest, is no small fries, no matter how rich a team may be. freeney fans had nothing to worry about and neither do the bulger or polamalu fans. its just standard business.

Elvis
07-14-2007, 12:01 AM
The signing of Troy cant happen soon enough for me. I just hope that we are gettin' close to gettin' all our draft choices in there and signed...

NV STEELERS 723
07-14-2007, 01:29 AM
STEELERS Mgt. drafted Troy...they made a great selection that will last until Troy retires and he is wearing Black and Gold in the HOF.....

stillers4me
07-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I read a while back (sorry....no link) that Troy's agent was also the players financial advisor (?) and that he was big into settling for smaller contracts but heavy on the investment for the long term benefit for his clients. ( I assume he would also get a cut of those future profits). If this is the case, it's good news for Steeler fans.

Crushzilla
07-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I read a while back (sorry....no link) that Troy's agent was also the players financial advisor (?) and that he was big into settling for smaller contracts but heavy on the investment for the long term benefit for his clients. ( I assume he would also get a cut of those future profits). If this is the case, it's good news for Steeler fans.

Sounds like the kind of guy Troy would want going to bat for him. It just wouldn't make sense if he had a guy like Drew Rosenhaus advocating a holdout.

Unfortunately... he does represent Timmons.

Mosca
07-14-2007, 09:03 AM
The way Troy plays, injuries are going to undo his career long before it should end. Sad, but true. He won't see 2010 at peak effectiveness.

Tom

Layin the wood
07-14-2007, 10:06 AM
With his ability to stay in good physical condition he can still play for another 7-10 years easily.The Steelers need to sign him for at least 7 years.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-14-2007, 10:13 AM
7 YEARS!!! What happens if he gets hurt 2 years into a 7 year contract???? Do you know how much money would be wasted.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-14-2007, 10:40 AM

I think you are referring to a post I wrote a couple of months back....

Troys agent is Marvin Demoff ...who is a rarity among agents....he advises his clients that financial security is set by their "budget and financial investments" and has gone on record too say...."An A-plus contract and grade B money management will be totally outperformed by a grade B contract and grade A money management,"...He is the agent for players like Jonathon Ogden and Julius Peppers...and was the agent for Elway and Marino.

stillers4me
07-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I think you are referring to a post I wrote a couple of months back....

That's the one.......:thumbsup:

steelpride12
07-14-2007, 11:18 AM
7 YEARS!!! What happens if he gets hurt 2 years into a 7 year contract???? Do you know how much money would be wasted.

i agree his contract will only be like 4-5 years at the MOST!

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I heard a rumor that the Steelers can pay Troy in weekly supplies of tofu and a brand new scion every two years and he will remain a Steeler.

steelpride12
07-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I heard a rumor that the Steelers can pay Troy in weekly supplies of tofu and a brand new scion every two years and he will remain a Steeler.

HHHAHAHA! ROFL!!! :toofunny:

stillers4me
07-14-2007, 11:26 AM

:sofunny:....I hear he has a fondness for Kia's.......

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 11:28 AM
:sofunny:....I hear he has a fondness for Kia's.......

Ehh, scions....kias....same difference. They both run on guano. He's a nice and humble guy, he will take whatever the Steelers decide to throw at him. :wink02:

Seriously, don't tell anybody this rumor, it could hurt negotiations.

steelpride12
07-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Ehh, scions....kias....same difference. They both run on guano. He's a nice and humble guy, he will take whatever the Steelers decide to throw at him. :wink02:

even half a penny and a already chewed piece of gum??? :jawdrop:

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 11:32 AM
even half a penny and a already chewed piece of gum??? :jawdrop:

They are the Magiver's of modern automobiles I tell you. But since "the Rooney's are cheap", no deal with the penny and chewed piece of gum.

stillers4me
07-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Hopefully, his wife has the same page as Troy. Pittsburgh has already been brought down by one wife........:jawdrop:

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Pittsburgh has already been brought down by one wife........:jawdrop:

Teresa Heinz? :jawdrop:

stillers4me
07-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Teresa Heinz? :jawdrop:

please.....I'm getting ready to eat my lunch..........:chuckle:

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 11:42 AM
please.....I'm getting ready to eat my lunch..........:chuckle:

Make sure you eat Heinz ketchup and not Hunts. Teresa will come and getcha!

Wow, completely took this thread off topic. Damn offseason. I apologize. Back to Troy and his scion.....I mean kia.

steelpride12
07-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Make sure you eat Heinz ketchup and not Hunts. Teresa will come and getcha!

Wow, completely took this thread off topic. Damn offseason. I apologize. Back to Troy and his scion.....I mean kia.

last time i saw Troy he was driving a Geo Metro!

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
last time i saw Troy he was driving a Geo Metro!

Last time I saw Troy, he 'rolled' into the Heinz Field parking lot sporting this.....

The Flintstone SRS 300

http://www.character-cars.com/images/flintstone.jpg

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 01:25 PM
^^^^:toofunny: ^^^^

takes hometown discounts and is extremely enviornment friendly. what a great guy!!!

are we sure art II isnt his real father?

Smashmouth225
07-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I hope this is true about Troy getting locked up long term. He reminds me of a young Rod Woodson who should have never left Pittsburgh. The guy can do so much and players with his abilities don't come around that often.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Just read on my other Steelers site I post on that the Steelers and Troy are close to a deal that will make him the highest paid safety in the NFL.....Its rumored that Troy will get a 5-6 year deal with a 17 million signing bonus....Only problem seems to be the back end of the contract....Stay tuned....sounds like that hometown discount went out the window....lol

If its true props to the Rooney's for showing Troy the money...

According to the source to that Troy would get a 5 million dollar bonus due March 1st 2008

Preacher
07-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Just read on my other Steelers site I post on that the Steelers and Troy are close to a deal that will make him the highest paid safety in the NFL.....Its rumored that Troy will get a 5-6 year deal with a 17 million signing bonus....Only problem seems to be the back end of the contract....Stay tuned....sounds like that hometown discount went out the window....lol

If its true props to the Rooney's for showing Troy the money...

According to the source to that Troy would get a 5 million dollar bonus due March 1st 2008

However,

It will make it real tough to sign Ben, Willie, Pay Hines the backloaded part of his salary, and then resign anthony smith if he turns out to be the stud we think he will be. Not to mention a OL.

stillers4me
07-14-2007, 09:10 PM
......this is just going to cause Faneca to short circuit.......!!!!!!! :toofunny:

Trust in the Rooney's.......they already know they will have to deal with Ben soon.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 09:12 PM
However,

It will make it real tough to sign Ben, Willie, Pay Hines the backloaded part of his salary, and then resign anthony smith if he turns out to be the stud we think he will be. Not to mention a OL.

not really. the steelers should be around 12 mil under the cap next season. theres money for troy and then ben the following year. players like mcfadden and smith just need to be signed a year earlier at discounted rates as opposed to them hitting their FA year.

Preacher
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
...this is just going to cause Faneca to short circuit.......!!!!!!! :toofunny:

Yeah.. You know that is true.

Trust in the Rooney's.......they already know they will have to deal with Ben soon.

Yeah, I just wonder what is going to happen... are we dancing the two step with the salary cap in order to take a couple more shots at the SB while our players are young...

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 09:18 PM

Yeah, I just wonder what is going to happen... are we dancing the two step with the salary cap in order to take a couple more shots at the SB while our players are young...

no. were actually in good shape concerning the salary and going into the future:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16852&highlight=salary

players like haggans, porter and faneca may need to go but then players like woodley need to step up.

OneForTheToe
07-14-2007, 09:24 PM
However,

Well, unfortunately we can't sign everybody. Willie and Anthony are signed for now. Remember most likely we will be out from under Faneca's contract next year. Also, most likely we will be out from under a few other contracts in the next few years (Okobi, Simmons, Farrior ect.).

We should still have money to sign Ben. As for Ward, you might be correct. As I said before we can't keep everybody, unless we want to mortgage the future. Troy is the number two prority, IMO.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-14-2007, 09:41 PM
no. were actually in good shape concerning the salary and going into the future:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16852&highlight=salary

players like haggans, porter and faneca may need to go but then players like woodley need to step up.

Are we still paying Duces friggin salary too????

fansince'76
07-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Are we still paying Duces friggin salary too????

Yep, but fortunately we will be outta that hole in '08:

On or around December 4, 2006, Staley was cut. This resulted in dead money. Since he is a veteran with who was on the opening day roster, his base salary is guaranteed and counts in full....The remainder of his prorated signing bonus ($2,342,500 ? dead money) counts towards the 2007 salary cap.

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/player/DuceStaley.htm

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Are we still paying Duces friggin salary too???? pretty much. the remaining portion of his signing bonus (2.3 mil) counts towards this years cap.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-14-2007, 09:56 PM
So what is the luxery tax limit in the NFL?

Preacher
07-14-2007, 11:16 PM
You know...

dumping "The Sweatsuit Model" hit on the cap... letting Fanaca go, and in a couple of years, losing Farrior to retirement, Ward to retirement/rework of contract....

We may be okay.

However, I am still very leary of our up-coming cap problems, because we have a LOT of money to shell out over the next few years with Ben and others.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
You know...

dumping "The Sweatsuit Model" hit on the cap... letting Fanaca go, and in a couple of years, losing Farrior to retirement, Ward to retirement/rework of contract....

We may be okay.

However, I am still very leary of our up-coming cap problems, because we have a LOT of money to shell out over the next few years with Ben and others.

Yeah I think we'll be fine but I Farrior does plan on retiring within the next couple years we're gonna need to get his replacemnt being that he is our best LB and we kinda lack depth at the MLB position. Although Timmons may be converted to inside LB in a few years.

tony hipchest
07-15-2007, 12:21 AM
You know...

We may be okay.

However, I am still very leary of our up-coming cap problems, because we have a LOT of money to shell out over the next few years with Ben and others.the cap is going up $7 mil next year to $116 mil and i have read a prediction of it reaching $136 mil before the current labor agreement runs out (there is definitely gonna be a ceiling eventually, unless the nfl starts drawing major revenues globally- see current efforts to market in china).

it is important to remember we have 2-3 years of drafts (14-21 players to potentially add to the roster during this time).

it is also noteworthy that we are in the best cap situation when you compare us to teams such as the colts, patriots, bengals, chargers, ravens, etc... none of our high paid players come close to matching their high paid players.

for example the chargers have their own issues when they have to pay rivers, and merriman along with the highest paid rb. the pats have a defensive line, corner backs and a whole slew of wr's they must worry about paying on top of brady and seymore. the colts will have 2 of the highest paid players in the league.

the steelers make hay using the players they draft. it has been that way long before cowher and will remain so. we cant lose sight of the great players we will gain in the near future.

paw-n-maul-u
07-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, if you think about it ... we're going to have a few pretty high priced players ourselves here in the next few years. Troy is going to get a monster contract, Ben will probably get one similar to palmers ... And wards contract starts to become pretty pricey here in the next few years if I'm not mistaken ... and Marvel Smith is entering the final years of his contract as well, He's making what like 7 or 8 mil this year?.

However, We got Willie locked up early and for a very good bargain if he puts up numbers like last season consistently ... Same with Ike if he performs up to his potential.

The only thing that worries me is our O-line, I'm sure we'll be fine with the increasing cap. But reading that article about the Ravens o-line on ESPN, it seems like we haven't been doing much to cycle in youth at the position for a long time. Kemo, Colon, Phillip, Essex ... But a lot of them are day 2 guys (However, is it just me or does it seem like lots of teams around the league plug in rookie lineman and keep on chugging ... and not just 1st and 2nd round lineman, but some day 2 selections).

I dunno, now im rambling, but I just hope to see us go O-line early and often next year. There are far too many excellent tackle prospects coming out next year to pass up.

TackleMeBen
07-15-2007, 12:50 AM

maybe we can con ben into taking the hometown discount???lol :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
07-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm not all that worried about the cap and being able to sign Roethlisberger and Troy. I haven't really done the math on the cap figures, but off the top of my head I think we should be able to wrap up both of those guys after letting Porter and Faneca walk. Count that to any other money saving maneuvers we decide to make from now until we decide to pay Roethlisberger and I really don't see a problem. But like I said, I haven't bothered looking up cap figures.

Eitherway, I find it very hard to believe that the Steelers FO would let the heart and soul on defense walk and a QB who I'm guessing they feel can bounce back and become our franchise QB while also storing some money on the side for resigning other positions. Or is this just wishful thinking on my part and I'm just kidding myself? lol.

FourThreeMafia
07-15-2007, 01:44 AM
The Steelers will have plenty of money for Ben and Troy. We have Duce's contract and the cap incentive adjustment weighing us down this year. Its about 6 or 7 million dollars in dead money for 2007.

In 2007, we will have that money back, plus the annual raise to the salary cap. Faneca's contract will most likely be gone, and Im betting Farror isnt around much longer either.

I would love to get Ben signed this year, but it wont happen. His contract runs through 2009, so they have time. Plus, coming off of last season, they probably want to see if he bounces back. It would be better to get him signed now in case he has a breakout season, which will mean he will command more money, but its probably better not to jump the gun and give up too much.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-15-2007, 01:09 PM
However,

The Steelers locked up Willie last year so we don't have to worry about resigning him...Looking at the deal he got it was a steal for the Steelers....

If the front office is smart then I see no problems in the Steelers giving Troy and Ben big coin to stay........Look at the Colts...I think its safe to say they dropped alot of coin to keep Peyton, Marvin,Reggie and Dwight.......They seem to be a good cap shape and can field a competitive roster every year.....

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-15-2007, 02:14 PM
The Steelers locked up Willie last year so we don't have to worry about resigning him...Looking at the deal he got it was a steal for the Steelers....

If the front office is smart then I see no problems in the Steelers giving Troy and Ben big coin to stay........Look at the Colts...I think its safe to say they dropped alot of coin to keep Peyton, Marvin,Reggie and Dwight.......They seem to be a good cap shape and can field a competitive roster every year.....

If Willie has another pro bowl season though he's gonna want to get paid more money and I think he deserves it.

The Duke
07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
If Willie has another pro bowl season though he's gonna want to get paid more money and I think he deserves it.

Totally, let's just hope he doesn't get ala Larry Johnson :banging:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Totally, let's just hope he doesn't get ala Larry Johnson :banging:

I think Willie is too humble and too smart to act like LJ. And I'm pretty sure he likes being a Steeler and would try to work out a contract.

tony hipchest
07-15-2007, 03:10 PM
just so everyone is informed on wilie parker, he has a contract thru 2009

year........base........bonus....cap value
2007 2,425,000 250,000 3,612,500
2008 2,900,000 250,000 4,087,500
2009 3,350,000 250,000 4,537,500

in good faith the steelers quietly ripped up the final year of his UDFA contract of the league minimum $295,000 and gave him about a $5 mil bonus. larry johnson is still working off his initial 5 year rookie contract. willie has been treated well by the rooneys and he understands the deal that is in place. lets see how many superbowls we get to or how bad we tank it before worrying about him.

SteelersTilIDie
07-15-2007, 03:26 PM
i hope they resign polamalu to a long term deal....he is so key in our defenses success...and woodley will be in years to come

19ward86
07-15-2007, 04:22 PM
i would like to see----
polamalu to get signed to a 6 yr $30-$35mil deal
woodley get signed to a 4 yr $8-$10mil deal
timmons get signed to a 5 yr $15-$20mil deal
spaeth get signed to a 4yr $3-$5mil deal
other picks be signed to small contracts
ben needs to get an extention worth 7-10yr(total contract) $7 mil base salary, which is low for a QB.

Stlrs4Life
07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Guess, pretty good news to come home too. Hopefully it turns out.

The Duke
07-15-2007, 09:30 PM
i would like to see----
ben needs to get an extention worth 7-10yr(total contract) $7 mil base salary, which is low for a QB.

Seems reasonable, but is that what they give 3rd round picks, shouldn't it be more?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
i would like to see----

I dont see the Steelers giving Timmons a 5 year deal just because it would be out of the ordinary for them. Most of our 1st round picks usually get 4years and evry other pick gets about 3 years.

The Duke
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
I dont see the Steelers giving Timmons a 5 year deal just because it would be out of the ordinary for them. Most of our 1st round picks usually get 4years and evry other pick gets about 3 years.

Well, Troy got a 5 year deal, and I'm sure Ben has a 6 year deal, someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

tony hipchest
07-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Well, Troy got a 5 year deal, and I'm sure Ben has a 6 year deal, someone correct me if I'm mistaken.youre correct. rookies drafted 1-15 get 6 year deals. 1st rounders drafted 16-23 get 5 year deals. 2nd rounders get 4 year deals and all others get 3 year deals. this is all standardized and part of the CBA.

woodley wont get 2 mil/ year (thats more than what heath miller is making).

jjpro11
07-17-2007, 12:21 PM
im worried that freeney's insane contract will effect polamalu getting a deal. i think polamalu is a better player and more important to the steelers than freeney is to the colts. the colts are asses for this. i hope they have salary cap hell since they have half of their salary devoted to 2 players.

nwksteeler
07-17-2007, 10:08 PM
This would be great, good way to start camp.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07199/802384-66.stm[/url] :cheers::tt02::tt02:

Steelers looking to lock up safety by the start of training camp

Wednesday, July 18, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Troy Polamalu wanted to return to the West Coast to be near his family when his contract expired after this season, or so rumors have had it.

If so, he will return for visits only.

Polamalu, the most unique strong safety in the NFL and among its best, has come so close to a contract extension with the Steelers that sources close to the negotiations believe he will sign a new deal around the opening of training camp Monday.

Terms of the contract were unavailable but it likely will put him near the top among the Steelers' best-paid players.

Polamalu had one season left on a five-year contract he signed as the Steelers' first-round draft choice in 2003. He was scheduled to earn a salary of $1,088,000 this season, which could be one-tenth of the signing bonus he will earn with a new deal.

Polamalu made the Pro Bowl in each of the past three seasons after becoming a starter in 2004. He helped turn the Steelers' defense into a work of confusion for opposing offenses.

Coordinator Dick LeBeau deploys Polamalu all over the field and takes maximum advantage of his quickness, speed and instincts.

Polamalu often lines up in one spot and ends up in another at the snap of the ball. He has been used as a deep safety, linebacker, cornerback and pass-rusher.

There were times when he lined up on the outside of the defensive end on the left side and, just as the ball was snapped, sped to his right and blitzed from that side.

Polamalu, 26, was born in California, grew up in Oregon and played at Southern California. There were rumors the past year that he would play his final season with the Steelers, then sign with a team on the West Coast.

Polamalu always denied that, saying he was happy playing for the Steelers and noting he made his year-round home in Pittsburgh with his wife Theodora.

Signing the popular Polamalu to a contract extension is crucial for the Steelers, who enter a transition period under new coach Mike Tomlin and some of their roster veterans.

They released captain and linebacker Joey Porter in March while another captain, six-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, publicly ripped the team for not negotiating a contract extension and skipped all but the required spring practices.

Some players have wondered about the organization's commitment because of the actions involving Porter and Faneca.

Faneca is one of three starters on the offensive line who enter the final years of their contracts, along with guard Kendall Simmons and tackle Max Starks. No progress has been reported on any of those talks and no more negotiations are expected to take place this year.

Two other starters, linebacker Clark Haggans and fullback Dan Kreider, also are on the last year of contracts.

Polamalu's deal might be the last one consummated in 2007 for a Steelers veteran.

The Steelers previously signed starting defensive end Aaron Smith and backup nose tackle Chris Hoke to contract extensions before they entered the final year of their old deals.

While contact was made between the agent for Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers this spring, club officials privately indicate that a contract extension for their quarterback likely will not take place until next year, when he has two seasons left on the deal he signed as a rookie in 2004.

NOTES -- The Steelers expect to have more rookie draft picks under contract this week as they approach Monday's reporting date for training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. Rookie wide receiver Dallas Baker, the team's seventh-round draft pick, came to a three-year contract agreement yesterday. He will receive a signing bonus of $39,750. Four rookie draft choices are now in the fold. Fourth-round picks Daniel Sepulveda and Ryan McBean, and fifth-rounder Cameron Stephenson are the others.

The Duke
07-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Well, I think is safe to say Troy will be in black and gold for many years to come. I know this last article isn't confirmation but everything leads to him being signed soon

nicesteel4life
07-18-2007, 01:01 AM
oh my, oh me, looks like Troy wont be set free. black n gold is where he'll be

steelpride12
07-18-2007, 02:20 AM
oh my, oh me, looks like Troy wont be set free. black n gold is where he'll be

Nice i like that sounds great to me ha!

Buzz05
07-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Troy isnt money hungry. He has said in the past that he doesnt want to be paid the most money and he loves Pittsburgh. Although I would like to see him get Ed Reed (overrated in my book) money I dont think he will. But something fair and comparable to show the respect from the Rooney's to Troy and vice versa. I will say, I as a fan am honored to have him don the Black and Gold.