PDA

View Full Version : Bettis Predicts Cowher Landing Spot

Livinginthe past
07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Cicumstantial evidence may back this theory - Coughlin appears to be very shaky ground in NY and the media there are absolutely relentless once they have a target.

I know Cowher would often be abrupt with the relatively passive Pittsburgh media, I would love to see some Cowher press conferences in the Big Apple (only non-Americans probbaly call it that, right?) - especially if he had a rough start.

Last year, former Steelers running back turned NBC commentator Jerome Bettis created a stir when he said his old coach, Bill Cowher, would leave the Steelers at the end of the 2006 season. Cowher said he was "very disappointed" by what Bettis said.

Bettis's report turned out to be true.

So Bettis has a little more credibility than most other players-turned-broadcasters when it comes to offering such predictions. And in an appearance on NFL Network's Total Access, Bettis offered another prediction: Cowher will coach the Giants in 2008.

"I really think he'll be coaching next year, and I think he'll be coaching in New York," Bettis said. "That's my take on it and just thinking about the type of team he fits in good with, the Giants are definitely one."

There's a widespread perception that Giants coach Tom Coughlin is heading into his last season with the team and that the Giants' front office wants a coach with proven credentials to replace him. Cowher would be the most obvious choice.

POSTSCRIPT: One possible complicating factor in all this is the relationship between the Rooney family, which owns the Steelers, and the Mara family, which owns the Giants. The families have been friends for almost as long as the NFL has existed, and Tim Rooney?s daughter Kathleen (Dan?s niece) is married to Wellington Mara?s son Chris (John?s brother). The Maras likely wouldn't touch Cowher without approval from the Rooneys.

section514
07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Plaxico would have to go before that happened as well right?

TackleMeBen
07-13-2007, 10:14 AM
well eli needs all the coaching help he can get.:wink02:

section514
07-13-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't think it will happen at all, he would coach somewhere below the mason dixon line. his family just moved to NC. I don't think Jerome is right on this one.

TackleMeBen
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
i think that fox is on the hot seat in carolina. so that might be a good fit for him.

section514
07-13-2007, 10:26 AM
that would make the most sense, if fox leaves, i don't see how Bill wouldn't get that job

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
He was quoted by Bonnie Bernstein the one day I was watching NFL Live that he is not interested in any job. No team has talked to him or his agent. Yet, that may have changed.

onthebus36
07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree about Fox and Carolina.

I'm also still not discounting Cleveland. I think Crennel is on his way out too and Cowher has history there.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree about Fox and Carolina.

I'm also still not discounting Cleveland. I think Crennel is on his way out too and Cowher has history there.

Cowher and Cleveland don't mix. He wants to stay close to his family. Even if he does come out, he will coach Carolina. That's the closest team to home.

section514
07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
pittsburgh would turn against cowher in a heart beat if he puts on the brown and orange, I know I wouldn't like him anymore, at least in carolina i would understand him takin that job and would still give him the respect I have for him now

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2007, 10:35 AM
pittsburgh would turn against cowher in a heart beat if he puts on the brown and orange, I know I wouldn't like him anymore, at least in carolina i would understand him takin that job and would still give him the respect I have for him now

I'm in the same boat.

TackleMeBen
07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
if he were to coach carolina, i think i would actually root for them. i have hated carolina since they came into the league. when i lived in carolina that was all you heard. in fact i remember one year they beat the cowboys in a playoff game and i actually broke my television by throwing the remote thru the screen.

fansince'76
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
http://images.thefootballmonologues.com/images/admin/cowher.jpg

Jerome needs to mind his own #%&@?! business!

:toofunny:

vasteeler
07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
i still think it will be the redskins or the cowboys that he will coach they seem to have the deepest pockets and that will be what it comes down to

vasteeler
07-13-2007, 10:43 AM
http://images.thefootballmonologues.com/images/admin/cowher.jpg

Jerome needs to mind his own #%&@?! business!

:toofunny:

too funny:rofl:

section514
07-13-2007, 10:46 AM
i still think it will be the redskins or the cowboys that he will coach they seem to have the deepest pockets and that will be what it comes down to
no way he fits in with the Cowboys front office

The Duke
07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him coach in Carolina, I got nothing against that team unless we face them, and is also a team with a lot of potential, so Cowher would be a good fit for them

Mosca
07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Cowher's not a Steeler any more. The tie's been cut. Cleveland, Cincy, Baltimore, it doesn't matter to him whether or not Steelers fans turn against him. Heck, I think he'd expect them to.

His career is as a football coach. His place of business is the NFL. His loyalty is to the team that has him under contract.

Tom

rbryan
07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
I liked Jerome better when he was playing.

tony hipchest
07-13-2007, 05:37 PM
it seems so many fans are sure j. fox is getting fired and all the "hot seat" talk you hear is pure writer speculation by people who have picked carolina to win the superbowl and have gotten burnt.

j. richardson is one owner i would compare to the rooneys, ast he models his ownership style after them. i would say fox's chances of getting fired this year are about the same as cowher getting fired after 98,99,00.

it would be like replaceing someone who has mirrored cowher to this point with cowher (at a much higher price).

we can easilly assume that if fisher and fox are fired, and cowher comes out of retirement they will be the hottest coaches on the market.

i think w. philips stays in dallas. if not any of the big 3 of the nfc east will have their pick. anyone notice a. reid isnt on the "hot seat"? pretty much the same situation as carolina. cowher will all ready be working in NYC this season. he may decide he likes it....

rooneys would give the giants their "blessing".

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Everyone seems to think Kaye needs to follow her man to wherever he works or that, with regard to the going to Carolina rumor, Cowher needs to work close to Raleigh. I do not buy it - empty nest couples in their 50s with a mega-successful spouse often stay together by staying apart (e.g. - the CEOs of companies such as Goldman Sachs and GE are often on the road 1/3 of the year). Kaye can stay put in Raleigh regardless of where Bill works.

Charlotte to Raleigh is a 2-2&1/2 hour drive (not that Cowher will be driving up and down I-85 for a quick get together with Kaye). He can hop on the corporate jet and have an occasional meeting from Dallas, Washington, or New York as easily as from Charlotte.

I think Bettis is on to something here - when (not if) Cowher comes back it is to be the highest paid coach in the game. If he comes back in 2008 i think it is between Washington (Gibbs steps down) or New York.(unless Belichick wants the Giants job)

If he sits out until 2009 add Dallas to the mix (Wade Phillips is not the man to open the Jerry Jones 100,000 seat Taj Mahal)

Elvis
07-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Dont see this happening in my opinion...

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-14-2007, 12:25 AM
No matters where Cowher goes I doubt he'll have the same success he had in Pittsburgh and he won't see another 15 year coaching tenure again. I agree Cowher = the NY media may make for some interesting chin moments.

10 days to camp
:cheer: :tt02: :cheer: :tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Cowher's not a Steeler any more. The tie's been cut. Cleveland, Cincy, Baltimore, it doesn't matter to him whether or not Steelers fans turn against him. Heck, I think he'd expect them to.

His career is as a football coach. His place of business is the NFL. His loyalty is to the team that has him under contract.

Tom
isn't he under contract right now with a team that wears black and gold? since when is walking out on an obligation considered loyalty ? not to mention the half ass effort he put in last season....:coffee:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-14-2007, 04:57 PM
isn't he under contract right now with a team that wears black and gold? since when is walking out on an obligation considered loyalty ? not to mention the half ass effort he put in last season....:coffee:

I agree.He walked away from this team.It was obvious he didn't care last year.

And as for the Rooneys and Maras being friends,as long as they don't pursue Cowher until he hits the coaching FA market after this season,they don't have to ask the Rooneys a thing.The Mara family is in the business of winning just as mucha s they Rooney family is.And I doubt the Rooneys want Cowher back anyhow.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 05:09 PM
in defense of cowher its only the fans who feel he quit on the team and didnt care about winning. im more inclined to believe all the players over the fans perception.From Marty Ziess, Columbus, Ohio: Is there a difference in the enthusiasm with Coach Mike Tomlin this year?
Willie Parker: To be honest last year we were really intense, but this year we are focusing more on the little things and competing real hard. We are going to ride for him and go hard for him, like we did for Coach Cowher. We are doing it for Coach, ourselves, family, friends and the whole team.

you will not find a single player, coach, or team employee who will say cowher quit on them or didnt care. really all the players mistakes were result of trying too hard, not from a lack of trying. were they improperly prepared? possibly. but its not cause cowher quit or didnt care.

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
in defense of cowher its only the fans who feel he quit on the team and didnt care about winning. im more inclined to believe all the players over the fans perception.

you will not find a single player, coach, or team employee who will say cowher quit on them or didnt care. really all the players mistakes were result of trying too hard, not from a lack of trying. were they improperly prepared? possibly. but its not cause cowher quit or didnt care.

c'mon tony....where was the spit last year ? his sideline / press conference demeanor was obviously different than it has been in the past. very seldom did you see him walk on the field with spit flyin and pointing at the guy who screwd up.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 05:52 PM
c'mon tony....where was the spit last year ? his sideline / press conference demeanor was obviously different than it has been in the past. very seldom did you see him walk on the field with spit flyin and pointing at the guy who screwd up.the spit was always overrated and the media always covered it like they do a chad johnson endzone dance or a jon gruden scowl. there was always more substance to cowhers coaching than him stuffing a photo image into a refs pocket or pretending he was gonna tackle a jaguar running down the sideline for a TD.

i dont get to see all this pressers but i have read the transcripts of them for the past 5-6 years and i really didn notice any difference.

and again, how many players have commented about cowhers lack of emotion? every player interview i read or heard last year never hinted at such a thing. verron haynes assured listeners on his weekly sirius radio spot that nothing had changed in the locker room.

perhaps cowher toned down his on camera behavior at the suggestion of his wife. if the playes not having this as motivation led to such a drop off we are in pretty sad shape because we will not be getting spit from tomlin.

if the players cant perform w/o the spit, then maybe its time we look for a whole new team of players.

Atlanta Dan
07-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Willie Parker to Marty Zeise To be honest last year we were really intense

Contrast that with this story following the loss to Denver in November 2006

"At 2-6, you have to audition for next year," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "We'll see now who wants it and who throws in the towel."

Running back Willie Parker wonders if some players already have. To him, it seems as if some Steelers were satisfied with winning the Super Bowl, and players may not trust their teammates as they did before.

"I'm not blaming anybody," he said. "That's just the way I see it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261105023

Parker immediately was smacked around for those comments and retracted them, but I thought he spoke from the heart. I hope his current comments are in the spirit of looking forward rather than looking back rather than any belief the Steelers were intense last year. Willie is either lying or in denial.

From the 0-4 preseason where the starters barely played to the boneheaded penalties & turnovers every week IMO the theme of the 2006 season was not paying attention. The head coach sets the standard and I personally believe Cowher was distracted by wondering how the next act of his life would play out. That was fatal to the chances of team where the leader on offense had retired and the leader on defense was obsessed about his own contract situation.

Tony, I cannot agree that Cowher gets a pass for his conduct during 2006. The Steelers particularly needed his fire in 2006 and it was not there.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Willie Parker to Marty Zeise To be honest last year we were really intense

Contrast that with this story following the loss to Denver in November 2006

"At 2-6, you have to audition for next year," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "We'll see now who wants it and who throws in the towel."

Running back Willie Parker wonders if some players already have. To him, it seems as if some Steelers were satisfied with winning the Super Bowl, and players may not trust their teammates as they did before.

"I'm not blaming anybody," he said. "That's just the way I see it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261105023

Parker immediately was smacked around for those comments and retracted them, but I thought he spoke from the heart. I hope his current comments are in the spirit of looking forward rather than looking back rather than any belief the Steelers were intense last year. Willie is either lying or in denial.

From the 0-4 preseason where the starters barely played to the boneheaded penalties & turnovers every week IMO the theme of the 2006 season was not paying attention. The head coach sets the standard and I personally believe Cowher was distracted by wondering how the next act of his life would play out. That was fatal to the chances of team where the leader on offense had retired and the leader on defense was obsessed about his own contract situation.

Tony, I cannot agree that Cowher gets a pass for his conduct during 2006. The Steelers particularly needed his fire in 2006 and it was not there.great points atl dan. i was one who applauded the young willie parker for standing up and voicing his opinion. maybe the bolded statement is what i am suffering from. regardless of willies own problems (primarilly holding onto the ball) he really stepped it up in the 2nd half of the season. i havent given it much thought but it was at that point in the season where the steelers finally turned it around to go 6-2 down the stretch.

admittedly it shoudlnt have taken that from parker, and if it was a lack of cowhers spit that led to that in the 1st place then i am a little concerned with the lack of porters barking going into this season. porter definitely had a $20 million bark but maybe it was rendered ineffective without the spit and chin backing it up.

i would like to believe there was more substance to the team than the "bark" defense and "spit and chin" offense. perhaps it was all smoke and mirrors and the rooneys finally realized it was time to evolve (or devolve back) to a style more similar to nolls.

while i can admit cowher turned in one of his poorest seasons with some of his greatest talent, i cant say it was because he didnt care. then again, i dont know the man and it is very possible that he showed up to collect a paycheck and to feel good about not quitting after the sb and leaving the rooneys in a bind. of course i guess he couldve intentionally tanked the season to stick it to the rooneys for not giving him the extension he wanted.

again if the bark and the spit was so important im really concerned that holding on to veterans who relied on it too heavilly may be the same miscalculation as hanging on to cowher for a year too long.

if were gonna go 8-8 again, we could do the same w/o faneca and ward (and capitalize on the extra picks and $10 mil in cap room dumping them wouldve given us.)

HometownGal
07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
I really believe if John Fox doesn't get the Panthers to the SB this season (and I don't believe he will) - The Chin will be spitting in Charlotte in 2008.

TackleMeBen
07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I really believe if John Fox doesn't get the Panthers to the SB this season (and I don't believe he will) - The Chin will be spitting in Charlotte in 2008.

oh that would be so great... b/c my friend who is a huge panthers fan and season ticket holder would be spitting out her tickets. she hates cowher with a passion.:thumbsup:

SteelersMongol
07-15-2007, 10:19 AM

EXACTLY!

Livinginthe past
07-15-2007, 10:34 AM
As has been said a few times already - Cowher won't let the opinions of Steeler fans cloud his judgement on what team he is going to coach.

If he likes Cleveland thats where he'll go.

The Duke
07-15-2007, 12:13 PM
As has been said a few times already - Cowher won't let the opinions of Steeler fans cloud his judgement on what team he is going to coach.

If he likes Cleveland thats where he'll go.

Exactly, and as good steelers we should all support his decision, because anyway we'll beat the team he goes to:wink02:

vasteeler
07-16-2007, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;264824]great points atl dan. i was one who applauded the young willie parker for standing up and voicing his opinion. maybe the bolded statement is what i am suffering from. regardless of willies own problems (primarilly holding onto the ball) he really stepped it up in the 2nd half of the season. i havent given it much thought but it was at that point in the season where the steelers finally turned it around to go 6-2 down the stretch.

admittedly it shoudlnt have taken that from parker, and if it was a lack of cowhers spit that led to that in the 1st place then i am a little concerned with the lack of porters barking going into this season. porter definitely had a $20 million bark but maybe it was rendered ineffective without the spit and chin backing it up.

i would like to believe there was more substance to the team than the "bark" defense and "spit and chin" offense. perhaps it was all smoke and mirrors and the rooneys finally realized it was time to evolve (or devolve back) to a style more similar to nolls.

while i can admit cowher turned in one of his poorest seasons with some of his greatest talent, i cant say it was because he didnt care. then again, i dont know the man and it is very possible that he showed up to collect a paycheck and to feel good about not quitting after the sb and leaving the rooneys in a bind. of course i guess he couldve intentionally tanked the season to stick it to the rooneys for not giving him the extension he wanted.

again if the bark and the spit was so important im really concerned that holding on to veterans who relied on it too heavilly may be the same miscalculation as hanging on to cowher for a year too long.

if were gonna go 8-8 again, we could do the same w/o faneca and ward (and capitalize on the extra picks and $10 mil in cap room dumping them wouldve given us.

totally agree with you it is kinda like alot of people said that rhe reasons we got crushed by the ravens twice last year was because of st.peirre knowing our playbook i just hope the steelers realize we got beat on the feild and not because st. peirre knew our playbook other wise we will get crushed again

wharalson
07-20-2007, 10:55 AM
rumors in the carolinas is that he might coach a college team in the carolinas

wharalson
07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
he is already down there driving race cars in concord,nc.