PDA

View Full Version : big money for dwight

19ward86
07-13-2007, 02:52 PM
dwight freeney and the colts have come to agreement on a 6 year $72,000,000 deal.
i recieved this info from espn.

fansince'76
07-13-2007, 02:56 PM
dwight freeney and the colts have come to agreement on a 6 year $72,000,000 deal.
i recieved this info from espn.

Makes the 5-year, $25 mil deal for Aaron Smith look like a real steal. :thumbsup:

19ward86
07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
12 mil versus 5 mil, id take either, haha

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Wow the Colts must think Freeney will be the anchor of their D for years to come.

OneForTheToe
07-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Wow the Colts must think Freeney will be the anchor of their D for years to come.

He better be for that kind of cash. That includes a 30milion dollar signing bonus.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-13-2007, 03:36 PM
He better be for that kind of cash. That includes a 30milion dollar signing bonus.

:jawdrop: Seems like a little much..... but thats just me.

onthebus36
07-13-2007, 03:48 PM
It's a mindset thing.

Your team can be a revolving set of league minimum paid no-names with a few big overpaid superstars or a real team of talented players and only a few stars. I'll take the team thanks.

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2007, 04:46 PM
It's a mindset thing.

Your team can be a revolving set of league minimum paid no-names with a few big overpaid superstars or a real team of talented players and only a few stars. I'll take the team thanks.

I am no big fan of the Colts but only New England has had more success this decade - hard to say which method is clearly superior, since the New England "team" method rests on the foundation of having one of the biggest (and deservedly one of the best paid) stars at QB.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I dont know if anyone relized this but his new contract makes him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

rbryan
07-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Can you say dead cap space?? Indy will regret this move, wait till this guy blows out a knee and can't play the last years of his contract. No one player is worth that much when you have to manage a salary cap.

onthebus36
07-13-2007, 05:36 PM
I am no big fan of the Colts but only New England has had more success this decade - hard to say which method is clearly superior, since the New England "team" method rests on the foundation of having one of the biggest (and deservedly one of the best paid) stars at QB.

I agree but Brady also took a good size salary cut to make room for some key additions. You have to have some game-breakers on any team to competitive but my point was with what they are paying Dwight, how can they have room when their other talented players come up for contract renewal.

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree but Brady also took a good size salary cut to make room for some key additions. You have to have some game-breakers on any team to competitive but my point was with what they are paying Dwight, how can they have room when their other talented players come up for contract renewal.

This is not intended to be Brady bashing (he is in the pantheon of big game QBs) but do not believe anything you hear about Brady taking a huge hometown discount on his 2005 contract

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8466188

or on his renegotiation to clear up cap space

Quarterback Tom Brady's restructured contract saved the Patriots $3.96 million on the salary cap, helping facilitate the acquisition of wide receiver Randy Moss.

The Patriots took Brady's $6 million base salary for 2007 and paid $5.28 million of it to him in the form of a signing bonus. That lowered Brady's base salary to $720,000.

Brady's base salary remained the same for 2008 ($5 million) and 2010 ($3.5 million).

In 2009, Brady's base salary increased to $5 million. He had been scheduled to earn $2.3 million in base salary.

Brady did not take a pay cut as part of the restructure..

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/05/04/brady_again_saves_patriots/

pittsburghp8baller
07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
freeney and manning must take up at least half of their cap. didnt manning sign a huge contract a couple years ago? i think he deserves top notch money but not 72 million over 6 years.

ChronoCross
07-14-2007, 12:47 AM
What do you say to a move like this. Idiotic if you ask me. One more contract that is going to hurt them more and more on keeping quality players around that defense. They release a lot players this off season which they could of kept the core of that defense together if they would of just split up the money and did it right. The defense finally starts to jell and they rip it apart to sign one guy who only turned out 5 sacks. There special teams already sucks bad, there defense will be totally non existent this coming season. Well at least they have freeney and that highly paid offense. You know they can count on sanders being there every game, lol, they got lucky to have him for the playoffs, he has been injured every season and only playing a few games here and there before his next injury. Way to go colts, drown out that cap each year. But they probably feel they do not need a defense any more, you think they might have learned after 7 years of not getting a SB with no defense, well there back to no defense again.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 12:58 AM
What do you say to a move like this. Idiotic if you ask me. One more contract that is going to hurt them more and more on keeping quality players around that defense. They release a lot players this off season which they could of kept the core of that defense together if they would of just split up the money and did it right. The defense finally starts to jell and they rip it apart to sign one guy who only turned out 5 sacks. There special teams already sucks bad, there defense will be totally non existent this coming season. Well at least they have freeney and that highly paid offense. You know they can count on sanders being there every game, lol, they got lucky to have him for the playoffs, he has been injured every season and only playing a few games here and there before his next injury. Way to go colts, drown out that cap each year. But they probably feel they do not need a defense any more, you think they might have learned after 7 years of not getting a SB with no defense, well there back to no defense again.in the colts defense, the steelers went 10 years between our 2 most recent sb's with the best most consistant defense during that time (of course tampa bay and baltimore had a good season her and there)

the colts are trying to adopt the patriots M.O. with a cornerstone on offense and defense. they got rid of james and won a sb. their focus will now be on sanders. i think they are banking on being able to release the cato junes, and sign better veterans at a discount price.

until the colts no longer have vinatieri you can never count them out. :chuckle:

Livinginthe past
07-14-2007, 01:56 AM
I have a healthy respect of what the Colts F.O have achieved in a small market - as much as Freeney is a 'one trick pony' he is absolutely ideal for how the Colts play the game.

I would suggest that his numbers get slightly (or maybe more than slightly) inflated due to teams regularly being behind double digits to the Colts high powered offense - he can afford to be a one dimensional pass rusher when you know the QB is going to drop back and throw it.

Like alot of the Colts team, he can be man handled in ceratin game situations and isn't really a factor in preventing the run.

I'll be interested to watch his progress is the Colts offensive machine suffers a blip this year - not that I particularly expect it to - they look as strong as ever in that particular area.,

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 02:39 AM
I'll be interested to watch his progress is the Colts offensive machine suffers a blip this year - not that I particularly expect it to - .,maybe in a few years, after m. harrison retires, your wish will come true. until then it takes a young healthy defense, and a team that can remain commited to the power running game (like the jags or the steelers) to slow the colts down.

sorry but bruschi, seau, and harrison just isnt the answer against the colts. after all some believe they got one of the best TE UNITS in the league, definitely one of the top wr corps, a hell of a running game with a healthy addai carrying the load, and the undisputed best qb in the game.

i guess if a team cant stop them, the only hope is to try and outscore them. that usually doesnt work though. the colts should be pretty formidable with freeney and soon to be sanders locked up. i think dungy has achieved a status where he will have to be outcoached as opposed to the players being outplayed, regerdless of what new defensive players take the field.

Atlanta Dan
07-14-2007, 07:54 AM
maybe in a few years, after m. harrison retires, your wish will come true. until then it takes a young healthy defense, and a team that can remain commited to the power running game (like the jags or the steelers) to slow the colts down.

sorry but bruschi, seau, and harrison just isnt the answer against the colts. after all some believe they got one of the best TE UNITS in the league, definitely one of the top wr corps, a hell of a running game with a healthy addai carrying the load, and the undisputed best qb in the game.

i guess if a team cant stop them, the only hope is to try and outscore them. that usually doesnt work though. the colts should be pretty formidable with freeney and soon to be sanders locked up. i think dungy has achieved a status where he will have to be outcoached as opposed to the players being outplayed, regerdless of what new defensive players take the field.

T.H. - your analysis is spot on regarding this year's edition of the Colts-Pats battle (although as far as the undisputed best QB in the game IMO Brady & Manning are 1 and 1A)

Peter King was on NFL Network last night and said the issue with the Pats in losing to the Colts last season was not scoring against the Colts, it was stopping them on D. Hard to say if their defensive signings fix that problem.

Crushzilla
07-14-2007, 08:10 AM
i guess if a team cant stop them, the only hope is to try and outscore them. that usually doesnt work though.

Agreed. Trying to beat the Colts in a shootout is like trying to hump a tree...

Get to Manning early and knock him on his back. If a defense can keep up with the pace the Colt's offense plays at the Ponies can easily be beaten. Its all about clock management and getting maximum efficiency out of drives.

That's why teams like the Bengals will never be able to beat them. You can't beat the Colts in their own game. You have to hit 'em in the mouth. Luckily, that's our forte...

With that said, and agreeing with Nigel, Freeney becomes one dimensional if the opponent can keep the game close. I'd rather take a guy who can seal the inside over someone like Freeney or Kearse who are just speed freaks that tend to run past the play by swimming to the outside when the rocks on the ground. If a team has a good blocking RB though they become even more ineffective.

There is no way Freeney would ever see this kind of bread on any other team, except maybe the Bengals or Cardinals. His technique matches their high speed play. Much like Hines, he is a perfect fit on his team and probably wouldn't enjoy as much success on another francise.

Livinginthe past
07-14-2007, 10:32 AM
maybe in a few years, after m. harrison retires, your wish will come true. until then it takes a young healthy defense, and a team that can remain commited to the power running game (like the jags or the steelers) to slow the colts down.

The main problem was that we didn't have enough of our 2nd string D able to play in the 2nd half against the Colts - let alone Seau and Harrison who were both done for the season way before that point.

We had our 3rd choice safeties and a bunch of LBers who were seeing their first major action of the season.

What killed us was that we couldn't make the Colts 1 dimensional by taking away the run - that is, without a doubt, one of the things that hurt us most.

And its something that Seau and Harrison would have helped with.

I know it sounds like excuses, excuses but we were barely able to put a fit body out on D in the second half - there was also a flu epidemic that swept through the team.

Im not a great believer in the 'injuries aren't excuses' motto that seems so popular - if half your team is unable to take the field that has to be a valid issue.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 01:09 PM
The main problem was that we didn't have enough of our 2nd string D able to play in the 2nd half against the Colts - let alone Seau and Harrison who were both done for the season way before that point.

We had our 3rd choice safeties and a bunch of LBers who were seeing their first major action of the season.

What killed us was that we couldn't make the Colts 1 dimensional by taking away the run - that is, without a doubt, one of the things that hurt us most.

And its something that Seau and Harrison would have helped with.

I know it sounds like excuses, excuses but we were barely able to put a fit body out on D in the second half - there was also a flu epidemic that swept through the team.

Im not a great believer in the 'injuries aren't excuses' motto that seems so popular - if half your team is unable to take the field that has to be a valid issue.ah, yes. the mystery flu. is it just a coincidence they have been stricken with the "flu" their last 2 championship games?

i know that seau and harrison werent in there, hence my point that you really need a young and healthy defense to hang with the colts. as quick as them old veterans can pick up a system and be in the right spot, the thing they have been most consistant in, is getting injured every year.

if i were a patsfan i would hope some solid defensive depth would be on the roster as opposed to 7-9 wr's. tedi bruschi sucking air late in a game has to be a concern especially if you dont know how long seau will last and t. banta cain is gone. sure safety was addressed with the 1st pick but this is almost negated with their best db threatenning a hold out.

the pats dl is great and young but their linebackers could all go through the joey porter syndrome this year. porter had a great playoff run where he was all over mannings back, then almost instantly he became a backer who essentially could only get sacks vs the 3 weakest teams on their schedule the following year. if i were starting a team i would still take porter over any pat lb other than thomas.

i noticed troy brown coming off knee surgery was resigned. im thinking this was more for that db depth you mention as opposed to wr help. again thats putting a bunch of old eggs in one basket. in my opinion thats really toeing the line of a defensive unit totally being out of gas by the time the playoffs come around. especially dangerous if the colts are the opponent, let alone the prospects of facing a team like the saints in the sb.

the flu doesnt really explain what the chargers were able to do to them either. an inexperience or aging offensive team like the bengals, jets, jags, or ravens are really the best matchups for the pats in the post season.

Indy_Steelers
07-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Considering inflation, what would Lambert, Greene or Greenwood be making if they were playing this year?

fansince'76
07-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Considering inflation, what would Lambert, Greene or Greenwood be making if they were playing this year?

I remember watching a show on ESPN about two years ago where they tried to project possible current salary figures for various members of the Steel Curtain. They said if they were playing today and in their primes, Lambert would be getting around $7-8 mil a season, L.C. would be making around $4-5 mil, and MJG would be making in the neighborhood of $8-9 mil a season.

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 10:27 PM

heres an excellent article on that exact scenario courtesy of a MasterofPuppets link (from a 98 article from ed bouchette

http://www.steelergridiron.com/history/articlecap.html

DEFENSE

DE -- L.C. Greenwood, $6.4 million.
DE -- Dwight White, $3.5 million.
DT -- Joe Greene, $8 million, plus.
DT -- Ernie Holmes, $3.2 million
LB -- Jack Lambert, $6 million, plus.
LB -- Jack Ham, $5.8 million.
LB -- Loren Toews, $2 million.
CB -- Mel Blount, $5.8 million.
CB -- J.T. Thomas, $4 million.
FS -- Mike Wagner, $2 million.
SS -- Donnie Shell, $4.5 million.

PAMillerGrrl83
07-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Didnt Manning restructure his contract this year?

ChronoCross
07-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Didnt Manning restructure his contract this year?

He did not give up no money they just re worked the contract details a bit, spread some money here and there while giving them a little more money now but it will hit them near the end of his contract.

Livinginthe past
07-15-2007, 01:56 AM
ah, yes. the mystery flu. is it just a coincidence they have been stricken with the "flu" their last 2 championship games?

i know that seau and harrison werent in there, hence my point that you really need a young and healthy defense to hang with the colts. as quick as them old veterans can pick up a system and be in the right spot, the thing they have been most consistant in, is getting injured every year.

if i were a patsfan i would hope some solid defensive depth would be on the roster as opposed to 7-9 wr's. tedi bruschi sucking air late in a game has to be a concern especially if you dont know how long seau will last and t. banta cain is gone. sure safety was addressed with the 1st pick but this is almost negated with their best db threatenning a hold out.

the pats dl is great and young but their linebackers could all go through the joey porter syndrome this year. porter had a great playoff run where he was all over mannings back, then almost instantly he became a backer who essentially could only get sacks vs the 3 weakest teams on their schedule the following year. if i were starting a team i would still take porter over any pat lb other than thomas.

i noticed troy brown coming off knee surgery was resigned. im thinking this was more for that db depth you mention as opposed to wr help. again thats putting a bunch of old eggs in one basket. in my opinion thats really toeing the line of a defensive unit totally being out of gas by the time the playoffs come around. especially dangerous if the colts are the opponent, let alone the prospects of facing a team like the saints in the sb.

the flu doesnt really explain what the chargers were able to do to them either. an inexperience or aging offensive team like the bengals, jets, jags, or ravens are really the best matchups for the pats in the post season.

All fair points really - being old makes you vunerable to injury for sure.

I think you know we won't be carrying 9 WR's and that our roster will be balanced, but id definitely love to see some more youth on the defensive side of the ball (esp LBers) - Belichick just doesn't like young players in the LBer corps it seems (Chad Brown is allegedly being offered a contract).

As you say, you never know when a footballer has hit his peak - its normally only in retrospect that it becomes obvious.

The problems we have suffered in the DB corps (the area that seems to get hit every year) has definitely not been determined by age - Eugene Wilson, Asante Samuel and Hobbs have all missed time with injuries.

The Chargers bullied us for large parts of that game becasue they have enough talent to do that to anyone - they'll be kicking themselves that they couldn't stop hitting the self destruct button in the 2nd half.

Indy_Steelers
07-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Would anybody here put Dwight in the top 5 defensive players in th NFL?

Livinginthe past
07-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Would anybody here put Dwight in the top 5 defensive players in th NFL?

Thats a tough question to answer - with two basic systems (4-3 and 3-4) you are going to get players who have different attributes playing the same basic position (DE for example).

I think Freeney is the 3rd best DE playing the 4-3 at this time - i'd have him behind JT and Peppers.

MasterOfPuppets
07-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Can you say dead cap space?? Indy will regret this move, wait till this guy blows out a knee and can't play the last years of his contract. No one player is worth that much when you have to manage a salary cap.
no doubt! i don't see how they can splash the cash the way they do...

peyton manning - 98 mill...34.5 mill signing bonus
marvin harrison - 67 mill.....23 mill
reggie wayne - 39mill ...... 13.5 mill
dwight freeny - 72 mill......30 mill

Dwight Freeney signs record NFL contract
INDIANAPOLIS, July 13 (UPI) -- Indianapolis Colts end Dwight Freeney signed a long-term contract Friday that reportedly makes him the highest-paid defensive lineman in NFL history.

The Indianapolis Star reported Freeney will be paid $72 million over six years. His agent, Gary Wichard, also confirmed to a $30 million signing bonus.

The Star added Wichard and Colts President Bill Polian were working against a Monday deadline for Freeney's signing. If that did not happen, Freeney would have had to play the 2007 season under a one-year $9.43 million contract as the club's exclusive franchise player.

"I'm part of this team," Freeney said on the team's Web site earlier this year. "I'm not going anywhere -- I know my situation. I'm going to be here. I know I'm going to be here. I love the city of Indianapolis and playing for (Colts Coach) Tony Dungy."

The former first-round draft pick in 2002 out of Syracuse has 56 1/2 sacks and 178 tackles in five NFL seasons.
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Sports/2007/07/13/dwight_freeney_signs_record_nfl_contract/9795/

and we're worried about troy and bens contract? lol :coffee:

Elvis
07-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I would take Freeney over Jason Taylor no doubt, but Peppers is the man. He does it all, he rushes the passer, he drops into coverage.
1.Peppers
2.Freeney
3.and then maybe Taylor

pittsburghp8baller
07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
I would take Freeney over Jason Taylor no doubt, but Peppers is the man. He does it all, he rushes the passer, he drops into coverage.
1.Peppers
2.Freeney
3.and then maybe Taylor

now ur starting to make sense. j-pepers is def the best def lineman in the NFL and u can make an argumeent that hes the best def player in the whole NFL (im not goin to do it)

ChronoCross
07-15-2007, 05:17 PM
1.Peppers
2.Freeney
3.and then maybe Taylor

I personally not putting a knock on this guys but go in the order as this;

Taylor
Peppers
Freeney

Reason I put Taylor above Peppers and Freeney is do to the part that he is great in coverage and he knocks passes down all the time, Plus Taylor pressures the QB just as much as Freeney and Peppers. Taylor has game changing play ability, while freeney is well sorry did not get the QB this time. Peppers also has game changing play ability.

I look for Peppers to get even better tho, he is still young in his career and is decent in coverage, but not yet as good as Taylor is.

Freeney well he sucks period if he ever had to cover, and is only relied on to pressure the QB and he did little of that this last season.

pittsburghp8baller
07-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I personally not putting a knock on this guys but go in the order as this;

Taylor
Peppers
Freeney

Reason I put Taylor above Peppers and Freeney is do to the part that he is great in coverage and he knocks passes down all the time, Plus Taylor pressures the QB just as much as Freeney and Peppers. Taylor has game changing play ability, while freeney is well sorry did not get the QB this time. Peppers also has game changing play ability.

I look for Peppers to get even better tho, he is still young in his career and is decent in coverage, but not yet as good as Taylor is.

Freeney well he sucks period if he ever had to cover, and is only relied on to pressure the QB and he did little of that this last season.

well the thing is freeney isnt asked to drop into coverage in his defense.

Indy_Steelers
07-16-2007, 07:33 AM
well the thing is freeney isn't asked to drop into coverage in his defense.

Which is why he is not the best in the league. He is one dimensional. His only advantage is that he is fast and can beat a tackle to the outside which is why he has problems on run stooping. He got paid a lot of money just to sack a QB which he only did 5.5 times last year.

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 07:07 PM
FREENEY GETS $15 MILLION NOW, $15 MILLION IN FEBRUARY

A league source tells us that the bonus money paid to Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney will come in the form of $15 million now and $15 million in the middle of February.

Coincidentally, another league source tells us that the Colts very recently received $15 million as part of the league's new supplemental revenue sharing program.

The $15 million that comes due in February 2008 is, technically, an option bonus. We're told, however, that there is a non-exercise fee of $15 million. Thus, unless the Colts cut Freeney before the middle of February, he will get the full $30 million.

We've got more to say about the Freeney contract, especially as it relates to the concept of supplemental revenue sharing, and as it relates to the potential problems that will arise as more agents and players try to parlay Freeney's contract into better deals.

From PFT

Livinginthe past
07-19-2007, 06:00 AM
So a small market team has used money from other big market teams to pay Freeney a huge signing bonus?

It doesn't seem that controversial right off the bat, but it must be frustrating to watch the contract values of players on your team go through the roof because the Colts overpaid a player with money you gave them as part of the CBA.

Any football fan with foresight will be rooting for the Patriots, Steelers and Bears of the football world - they are the teams that try to keep some sanity in contract negotiations.

Worst case scenario, you are going to get players who aren't even near the end of their contract wanting an immediate upgrade to bring their salary in line with what a one-dimensional pass rusher is getting (one that only had 5.5 sacks last year, too) - this could lead to holdouts from players who might've only just signed a contract a year or two prior.

I've had plenty of good stuff to say about the way the Colts FO has handled business over the last 4/5 years - but I thought they made a mistake early in the Freeney negotiations by basically promising that Freeney would get signed..whatever it took.

That gives the agent alot of bargaining power.

I suppose this could lead to an exaggerated version of the current salary cap process where more players jump ship after 2/3 years and go to a team with more cap space - but the fact remains, that no matter how crazy these contracts get, there is only (32 x salary cap for 1 team) in terms of money available for all these players.

Maybe this will be the beginning of the end for ridiculous rookie contracts?

steelpride12
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Freeny's size will be his downfall one day!

Jman
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
I'll chime in on this, although I doubt I have anything new to say. Last year, the Colts got manhadled when it came to stopping the run. I'd suggest if the Colts lost (SB), you'd probably not see Dwight, or any defensive lineman getting signed w/ that type of money. Once again, we see folks breaking the bank on key players. I agree with those saying they will regret it in the future.

steelpride12
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
1.Peppers
2.Freeney
3.and then maybe Taylor

How? look at Taylor last year Defensive player of the year ring a bell!