PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offense Charger like?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-14-2007, 12:20 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/12/steelers-offense-to-copy-chargers/

Steelers Offense to Copy Chargers?

Jj CooperPosted Jul 12th 2007 7:55PM
Filed under: Steelers, AFC North

The Steelers official site has been running fans questions for Steelers stars. As you expect most of the questions and answers are pretty generic. But the second part of Willie Parker's Q&A includes one interesting tidbit:

How will the new playbook change the running game and your touches in the next year?

Willie Parker: It really hasn't changed. The offense is more spread like San Diego. I think it's for the best for me. It's more philosophy and terminology and it works well for me in college.

There has been a lot of talk about the Steelers spreading out things under new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, but this is the first time I've heard it described as Chargers-like.

The Chargers did a very good job of balancing the run and the pass last year (although having the best running back in football doesn't hurt). Parker is not as good as LT, but he is a somewhat similar back, so that makes sense, and the Steelers have a solid tight end (although not nearly as good as Antonio Gates). But hopefully a change to a Chargers-style offense would mean that Parker will see a lot more passes thrown his way. The Chargers spread out defenses, then take advantage of it by getting Tomlinson out against single coverage in the passing game--he caught 56 passes last season. Parker has shown the ability to snag passes out of the backfield, but he hasn't been an integral part of the passing game. Hopefully this means that's about to change.

Crushzilla
07-14-2007, 12:21 AM
While I hardly think the Steelers are making these changes to "mimic" the Chargers, I can't complain about the revamped attack being compared to one of the more lucrative offenses in football.

It goes without saying that if the Steelers can have an efficient offense to cushion for Lebeau's defense we will be a difficult team to beat.

I don't expect the offense to run so smoothly at first, but if they can get things going a late division title run could be in the making.

I can't say it enough, this year is going to be very entertaining.

NV STEELERS 723
07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
SD's offense is not a bad O to copy....even though we can't see either play book...It does excite me though to think about Willie catching balls out in the flat and a OLB trying to catch him....the STEELERS don't have a TE like SD so I really don't think we are trying to "copy" them... I'm sure we will pass and run this year more evenly though.

Galax Steeler
07-14-2007, 04:46 AM
I like the way that sounds I hope our offense can click.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Heath Miller isn't as good as Gates,but after this year I think he will have shown that he's definatly the best TE in the AFC North and probally 3rd best in the NFL behind Gates and Gonzalez.

19ward86
07-14-2007, 09:45 AM
willie and heath not as good as good as LT and Gates, bull crap, haha...jk,but seriously(better)

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
I dont think that we are going to run the same plays as SD I think Parker ment that they are similar because they both spead the field. But I could be wrong remember we did steal Baltimores D:wink02:

steelpride12
07-14-2007, 11:24 AM
i doubt were going to copy the SD playbook but u gotta admit it prob. would look good. Parker getting passes in the flats come on with his speed he would have alot of potential and also i think Heath needs the ball more because he is a great TE thats going to have his breakout season!

suprasad
07-14-2007, 04:20 PM
All I ask for is a TD a quarter. If they did that, combined with the D, they would be unstoppable.

The Duke
07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
It won't be charger like, it will be better :wink02:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-14-2007, 05:25 PM
It won't be charger like, it will be better :wink02:

Exactly:tt02:

DACEB
07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't say we're copying anyones offense but I think it's safe to say that we will definitely be spreading it out alot more ala the Chargers or Colts.

I need to ask though, where is the love for Heath?? Gates is definitely an exceptional pass catching tight end but overall Heath does everything very well. We have not had the oppurtunity to see just how good Heath can be. I'm willing to bet that given the oppurtunity Heath could be every bit as good as Gates or Dallas Clark in the passing game.

We all agree that FWP isn't L.T. but I believe we all also agree that a more wide open type of offense is better suited for Willie. Hines in the slot blocking on a DB, Faneca pulling to get a LB and Willie coming around the edge, that might just be unfair!

A more wide open offense and defense, I can't wait to see it all come together!!

Edman
07-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Copying a dangerous D scheme(Ravens). Now we're copying a dangerous O scheme(Chargers).

Verrry Interrrresssting....

I don't expect Willie Parker to be LT. I expect FWP to be Willie Parker. .I really like how the Coaching staff recognizes his speed. Get him in open space. His speed is much more dangerous that way. Leave the inside running to Barlow and Davenport. Heath Miller is no Gates, but again, I'm not expecting him to be Antonio Gates, I expect him to be Heath Miller.

It's going to be an interesting year for our Steelers.

tony hipchest
07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
its really all about copying teams who hold onto the ball, and teams who tackle and prevent other teams from scoring.

the ravens or chargers havent invented anything new worth copying.

paw-n-maul-u
07-15-2007, 12:44 AM
I think that, given the opportunity, heath can put up gates like numbers, as well as being a better all around TE. Some guy one espn was doing TE metrics and the last two years heath hasnt qualified because he hasnt caught enough balls (i think it was like 40 or 45 receptions to be included) but it factored in ALL aspects of being a TE not just based on fantasy stats. Each year there was a side not that mentioned if miller had caught just a handful more passes then he would be at or near the top of the list ... i'm pretty sure in 05 he would have been the top overall TE in the league (based on ALL the metrics the guy used).

Elvis
07-15-2007, 01:03 PM
I just hope that the Steelers dont forget what got them the Super Bowl Tittle 2 years ago, and that was a good running game to go with Big Ben getting off to good starts against the Colts and Broncos in that playoff run. Neither Ben or our running game, except for one big run by Willie, did much to brag about. Ben must return to form and our O line and secondary must step up as well.

revefsreleets
07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with taking a page or two from other teams. I like the option of spreading the field because of the new speed the Steelers have at some key positions. Why not create the mismatches when you have them?

The Duke
07-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I just hope that the Steelers dont forget what got them the Super Bowl Tittle 2 years ago, and that was a good running game to go with Big Ben getting off to good starts against the Colts and Broncos in that playoff run. Neither Ben or our running game, except for one big run by Willie, did much to brag about. Ben must return to form and our O line and secondary must step up as well.

Yeah, they didn't make big plays in the super bowl run, they had the heart to win and that is something that was missing last year in all games, hopefully Tomlin can bring back that passion and heart, and hopefully some spit :wave:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm also wondering if we're gonna run any "gadget" plays this season under Arians.

The Duke
07-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm also wondering if we're gonna run any "gadget" plays this season under Arians.

I hope we do, but not stupid things like the flea flicker against the chargers :dang: