PDA

View Full Version : polamalu ranked 6th best again

tony hipchest
07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
appearantly c. judge has been stealing priscos notes. you can see all the top 5 positional rankings. prisco does offense and judge does defense, but dont expect to find any steelers except for kreider who is "ranked" as the 4th best fb.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/positional-rankings/DEF/S

1. Ed Reed, Baltimore: A big-time hitter who can cover the field. Like teammate Ray Lewis, he's slowing down, but he's smart, anticipates plays, has good range and reads quarterbacks as well as anyone in the game. He's also a great technician and a team leader.

2. Brian Dawkins, Philadelphia: Two years ago, he was supposed to be slipping. Yeah, sure. He might not have the quickest feet, but so what? He's smart, anticipates plays and rarely is caught out of position. He's also the quarterback of a defense that propelled the Eagles to division championships five of the past six years.

3. Adrian Wilson, Arizona: Pete loves this guy, and I can see why. He's murder on quarterbacks, whether it's sacking them or picking them off. He's physical, has outstanding speed and decent range. Plus, he's a hard worker. He was named to his first Pro Bowl last season, and it's about time.

4. Dawan Landry, Baltimore: The brother of Redskins' rookie LaRon, he is smart, physical and instinctive. He's OK in coverage, but, at 220 pounds, is a force in the box. I was reticent to put him here, but I had a couple scouts insist that he belongs. "He plays like a seasoned vet," said one.

5. Kerry Rhodes, N.Y. Jets: He's a secret outside of New York, but that won't last. Rhodes has great size, good range and good speed. He's also fluid, able to turn out of his backpedal to cover a deep receiver. The Jets kept moving people in and out of the position until he showed up, and watch him. You'll discover why.

Next best: Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh -- I would've liked to have had him higher, Steelers' fans, but he just didn't have a good season. I know, he played hurt. The guy is tough, but he didn't play well. He makes it here because he's someone opponents must watch. He's physical, can cover the field and is the leader of the Pittsburgh defense.

dawan landry? :toofunny: i guess clark missed the ravens/colts playoff game.

forget about troy, how does landry even beat out the likes of s. taylor, r. williams, c. hope, or bob sanders?

fansince'76
07-15-2007, 12:16 AM
I wonder if this will figure into the current negotiations for Troy's extension? :chuckle:

The Duke
07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
At least he gave an explanation on why Troy isn't higher, next year he'll be # 1 though.

tony hipchest
07-15-2007, 12:40 AM
At least he gave an explanation on why Troy isn't higher, next year he'll be # 1 though.

how bout this for an explanation in regards to landry?

I was reticent to put him here, but I had a couple scouts insist that he belongs. "He plays like a seasoned vet," said one.

im thinking he has barely even seen landry played and looked at a stat sheet and called a few scouts for help. why not place one of the many "seasoned vets" in the league at #4?

another fine example why these rankings are to be taken worth a grain of salt. plus if landry is so great im assuming he has some major character issues just waiting to surface based on his low draft position.

Dynasty
07-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Well it certainly means more to me that KC Joyner had Reed reanked as the number 1 most over rated safety in the NFL.

Godfather
07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Dude's on crack. I could see Troy as the 6th best player in the NFL overall, but not the 6th best safety.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Dawkins? Ok the guy is still very good and belongs in the top five...But I would take Troy's youth over him any day...As for Landry and Rhodes ahead of Troy...Yes they had could seasons and Troy had an off year....But Troy's off year is better then most safties in the NFL.....Plus you would think the body of work that Troy has put together the past three seasons would count for something? I guess not with those idiots at CBS sportsline........lol

OneForTheToe
07-15-2007, 01:27 PM

I think more likely these writers are getting so used to receiving flack from Steelers' Nation, when they seemingly under appreciate are talent, that they are now in the habit of firing off defensive explanations.

Nice try .... I think I'll email him anyways. :tt02:

Counselor
07-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow! Thats ALMOST as ridiculous as Peter King's ranking of Big Ben at 17 (below Cutler, Romo, Leinert, and Vince Young) HA!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I cant believ Bob Sanders isnt in the top 5 either. He tore us up in 2005 when we played them in the regular season.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Good call on Sanders...I was just looking at an article through profootballweekly that specifically said Landry will be over-rated this year...and had him at #17

Look at Troys numbers last year and compare him to Landry.... he had MORE tackles (76)...MORE passes defensed (7), and ONE less interception. AND HE MISSED THREE GAMES!!!!!!!....and that isnt taking into consideration how incredibly disruptive Troy is by his versatility and having to be accounted for on each play.

We have people on this board who are much more qualified to write sports articles than this clown who cant even do his homework!!!

rbryan
07-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Of course Ed Reed is number one. All the Ravens get picked number one. Writers are all afraid Ray Ray will murder anyone who says different.