PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger

SteelersFever
08-18-2004, 01:54 PM
If you were able to watch the Steelers first preseason game this year, you would have noticed that Ben Roethisberger is a future hall of famer. He's a solid QB with great pocket presence, and for the most part was on target with his passes. Unlike many others at the position, he waits until the last possible second to release the ball before running or tossing it away. This allows the defense to break down, creating open paths for plays to develop. Did I mention that this was his first professional game? Thank you for selecting Ben Roethisberger as the Steelers #1 NFL draft selection! I prefer him over Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Call me crazy if you want! He also showed that he has some ability to scramble if necessary, this is very benificial for any team. Knowing the speed of Tommy Maddox, there would have been a few times that he would have hit the earth hard if he were in the position of Ben Roethisberger.

If the Steelers offensive line can't protect Tommy Maddox and the running game gets shutdown this year (which should be unlikely), look for Ben Roethisberger to jump behind the helm early to provide a little more mobility and sparkle to the offense.

Pair_of_Jacks
08-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I did not watch the game, I only heard it on the 'net.

To call Ben a future HOF'er right now is just a little premature. Yes, he played great for his first game, but it is just that, his first game, and a pre-season one at that.

Tommy Gun is our QB right now, if he does'nt get the job done I hope Cowher will not hesitate to bring in Ben. I just want what is best for the Steelers.

ironcitychef
01-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Mike,

Just catching up on old posts. Did you have a crystal ball buddy? If so whats it say for this weekend?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Mike,

Just catching up on old posts. ?Did you have a crystal ball buddy? ?If so whats it say for this weekend?

So what time did Bill Cowher call you to get your decision for the 11th pick ? ;)

steelersgirl
01-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Amen. ;D

SteelersFever
01-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Well, what can I say? My crystal ball is authentic. By the way, the Steelers beat the Jets 20-17 in OT. ;)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow, how he'd do that??? ;D

ironcitychef
01-18-2005, 02:13 AM
And this week?:-X

BigBenLover16
01-18-2005, 08:29 PM
being all new and stuff, but what you guys talking about in here? i saw some posts before and i'm not sure what you are talking about? knowing me, being the new person

ironcitychef
01-19-2005, 03:24 AM
If you were able to watch the Steelers first preseason game this year, you would have noticed that Ben Roethisberger is a future hall of famer. He's a solid QB with great pocket presence, and for the most part was on target with his passes. He also showed that he has some ability to scramble if necessary, this is very benificial for any team.

Our fearless leader Mike made this bold statement a mere month and a half before the Big Ben era began, and only after one game. He picked up on his mobility for a big guy, his accurate arm(66.4%), maturity at QB, and HOF status(well we can wait on this one). We just wanted recognize that when you post something on this board and your right on, we like it!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Mel Kiper has nothing on Mike!!!

Preacher
04-10-2007, 01:16 AM
If you were able to watch the Steelers first preseason game this year, you would have noticed that Ben Roethisberger is a future hall of famer. He's a solid QB with great pocket presence, and for the most part was on target with his passes. Unlike many others at the position, he waits until the last possible second to release the ball before running or tossing it away. This allows the defense to break down, creating open paths for plays to develop. Did I mention that this was his first professional game? Thank you for selecting Ben Roethisberger as the Steelers #1 NFL draft selection! I prefer him over Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Call me crazy if you want! He also showed that he has some ability to scramble if necessary, this is very benificial for any team. Knowing the speed of Tommy Maddox, there would have been a few times that he would have hit the earth hard if he were in the position of Ben Roethisberger.

If the Steelers offensive line can't protect Tommy Maddox and the running game gets shutdown this year (which should be unlikely), look for Ben Roethisberger to jump behind the helm early to provide a little more mobility and sparkle to the offense.

Okay....

MAJOR BUMP!!!

Look at what mike was saying here. tell me what has changed? Is Ben a different person that what Mike was saying? I have to say no. Matter of fact, it is the same Ben. I gotta beleive that it is a learning curve/accident that caused the problem last year. It was Ben trying to maximize all of this potential for the first time, ON TOP OF his accidents and surgeries.

slashsteel
04-10-2007, 05:08 AM
True I think Ben will rebound and rebound big. He has a lot of heart and pride.

klick81
04-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Nice bump! The off-season is killin' me...

Newzfoxjr
04-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I wish I could cryogenically freeze myself for the offseason.

Anyway, I don't think anything we saw that was positive from Ben before 2006 was a fluke. He'll be back bigger and better in 2007.

HometownGal
04-10-2007, 04:30 PM
:thumbsup: Ben will be back this season and you can take that to the bank. :thumbsup:

Preacher
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Man do I ever hope so. It is so nice having aQB that we can actually trust. I hope he is back to that.

SteelCzar76
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Ben actually has the ability to be an elite QB. But this,..is contingent upon upon his resolve. Meaning,..should he decide to ignore his own 'hype' and dedicate himself to being the best that he possibly can be,...he will be so.
Perhaps he should take a page from his 'idol' Michael Jordan's book,....and realize that it's your ability and desire to do what your opponent can or will not do in regards to preparation,....that will ultimately define your status amongst your peers.
And very possibly,.....leave you without any (peers) to speak of.

GBMelBlount
04-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I hope Ben is fully recovered. It is possible there are things that don't show up in standard tests that may have permanently affected Ben's play. let's hope the 6-2 trend continues. If he is half as good as he thinks he is, he will be stellar! Did Eva Longoria accept his proposal yet?

TackleMeBen
04-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I hope Ben is fully recovered. It is possible there are things that don't show up in standard tests that may have permanently affected Ben's play. let's hope the 6-2 trend continues. If he is half as good as he thinks he is, he will be stellar! Did Eva Longoria accept his proposal yet?

Eva Longoria is enaged to Tony Parker who plays in the NBA for the Spurs :wink02:

dallen7
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
So many people lost faith in Ben at the end of last year. So he got a little rattled by a car. I still have faith that he will take us to the big game again

BettisFan
04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Big ben will coem back form last year and show his true colors

stillers4me
04-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I can't wait to watch all the talking heads that blasted him last year trip all over each saying how they just KNEW that Ben was as good as he was in the previous two years.

stillers4me
04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Eva Longoria is enaged to Tony Parker who plays in the NBA for the Spurs :wink02:

When Ben gets his second Superbowl ring next year, she's going to dump that loser. :jammin:

GBMelBlount
04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
I can't wait to watch all the talking heads that blasted him last year trip all over each saying how they just KNEW that Ben was as good as he was in the previous two years.

Isn't that the truth!

MJ5150
04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
He'll be fine....just fine.

I don't consider Ben to be a HOF QB, but he'll win his share of games and make us happy until he leaves under free agnecy for the big money.

-Mike

Preacher
04-19-2007, 01:08 AM

I don't consider Ben to be a HOF QB, but he'll win his share of games and make us happy until he leaves under free agnecy for the big money.

-Mike

There is no way we can make ANY judgement on that.........either way.

If he wins 3 more SB's.. you bet he will be in the HOF. If we plays lke he didi the first and second year, but wins no more SB's, it may be split.. if he plays like last year... Nope. But it is WAY to early to say anything now.

fansince'76
04-19-2007, 01:10 AM

-Mike

I didn't consider Montana, Elway or Marino to be locks for the HoF after their 3rd year in the league either. A little early to make that call definitively.

GBMelBlount
04-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I didn't consider Montana, Elway or Marino to be locks for the HoF after their 3rd year in the league either. A little early to make that call definitively.

How do Ben's stats compare to Montana, Elway & Marino after their first three years of playing?

rbryan
04-19-2007, 09:22 PM
No matter what anyone says, the accident is the main reason for his performance last season. It's impossible to go thru that kind of trauma without it having a negative effect. I am amazed he was able to come back and play at all. I look for huge rebound from Big Ben.

fansince'76
04-19-2007, 09:32 PM
How do Ben's stats compare to Montana, Elway & Marino after their first three years?

Being the stat geek that I am, I went to profootballreference.com and did the research - Ben's numbers compare pretty favorably overall.

1st three years of career comparisons (Comp/Att/PCT/YDS/Y/A/TD/INT - sorry, couldn't get the columns to line up):

Ben 644 1032 62.4 8519 8.3 52 43

Elway 664 1244 53.3 8152 6.5 47 52

Montana 500 784 63.8 5456 6.9 35 21

Marino 871 1427 61.0 11431 8.0 98 44

Of course, Marino blows everyone here away in attempts, completions, yards and TD passes, but his stats include his amazing 1984 season (48 TD passes and 5084 passing yards) and IMHO, Marino is the best pure passer I've ever seen (Unitas was a bit before my time, unfortunately). What is interesting to note is that Ben's numbers most closely reflect those of Elway, who happened to be Ben's personal idol while he was growing up (he wears number 7 for this reason). It is also interesting to note that Elway also suffered the junior jinx in his 3rd season (22 TD, 23 INT) before coming into his own in his 4th year (1986). I could live with Ben's career mirroring Elway's, especially since Ben got the SB championship out of the way in his 2nd year and Elway didn't win his first SB until his 15th year. What's also notable is that Ben's yards-per-attempt is higher (8.3) than the three legendary QBs through his 1st three years, which points to his overall efficiency as a QB.

Preacher
04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Being the stat geek that I am, I went to profootballreference.com and did the research - Ben's numbers compare pretty favorably overall.

1st three years of career comparisons (Comp/Att/PCT/YDS/Y/A/TD/INT - sorry, couldn't get the columns to line up):

Ben 644 1032 62.4 8519 8.3 52 43

Elway 664 1244 53.3 8152 6.5 47 52

Montana 500 784 63.8 5456 6.9 35 21

Marino 871 1427 61.0 11431 8.0 98 44

Of course, Marino blows everyone here away in attempts, completions, yards and TD passes, but his stats include his amazing 1984 season (48 TD passes and 5084 passing yards) and IMHO, Marino is the best pure passer I've ever seen (Unitas was a bit before my time, unfortunately). What is interesting to note is that Ben's numbers most closely reflect those of Elway, who happened to be Ben's personal idol while he was growing up (he wears number 7 for this reason). It is also interesting to note that Elway also suffered the junior jinx in his 3rd season (22 TD, 23 INT) before coming into his own in his 4th year (1986). I could live with Ben's career mirroring Elway's, especially since Ben got the SB championship out of the way in his 2nd year and Elway didn't win his first SB until his 15th year. What's also notable is that Ben's yards-per-attempt is higher (8.3) than the three legendary QBs through his 1st three years, which points to his overall efficiency as a QB.

Well... I guess this discussion is done...

Not much else to say after that!!! :wink02:

TackleMeBen
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Well... I guess this discussion is done...

Not much else to say after that!!! :wink02:

well since you put that way....:wink02: