PDA

View Full Version : Gatti Retires

83-Steelers-43
07-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Sad day for me. IMO, Gatti will not go down as a HOF boxer, but a boxer who gave his all while in the ring while also giving the fans their money's worth. At the same time, he was always a professional when he fought. He wasn't overly c0cky or arrogant. A humble boxer, something you don't see much of in today's boxing world (look to Mayorga).

For me, Gatti vs Ward will go down in boxing history as one of the best matchups of my time. Unfortunately they don't make nearly enough Gatti's in the boxing world. While I'm sad to see him call it quits, the kid can't take anymore punishment to his head. He also has a daughter to think about now. Thanks for the memories pizan and enjoy retirement. :cheers:

http://www.thesweetscience.com/images/3199/arturo_gatti_240x230_062205.jpg

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20070715_After_losing_by_knockout__Gatti_retires_f rom_the_ring.html

revefsreleets
07-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I enjoyed watching him fight, but I think the whole sport is rapidly losing out to MMA stuff.

83-Steelers-43
07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
No doubt about that.

Eitherway, I'll take a Gatti or Hatton up and comer over paying 60 bucks for a 1:53 PPV fight between Liddell and Jackson. Talk about a complete waste of money.

Plus I'm a boxing fan, I'm not really a wong-tong-dong-dingdong mix wonkwonkungpowchicken mix boxing fan. I'll wait until boxing revives itself...lol.

revefsreleets
07-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah, me too. I like the purity of boxing, and there are still some great boxers out there.

83-Steelers-43
07-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, me too. I like the purity of boxing, and there are still some great boxers out there.

I just hope Gatti remains retired. The guy can't take any more punches to the head. I don't want to see the guy thirty years from now unable to speak a full sentence of English and drooling all over himself.

revefsreleets
07-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I just hope Gatti remains retired. The guy can't take any more punches to the head. I don't want to see the guy thirty years from now unable to speak a full sentence of English and drooling all over himself.

Yeah, I watched a documentary on the social importance of the first Ali/Frazier fight on HBO, and it was pretty sad to see Smokin' Joe try to talk, and we all know about Ali's problems.