PDA

View Full Version : The Pitt Panther Thread

Ambridge
09-15-2005, 04:00 PM
After losing to Notre Dame in the season opener the Panthers then go and lose last weekend to MAC Powerhouse Ohio U.
Up next...an away game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lincoln this Saturday 9-17 a game that doesn't look promising as well and can have Pitt starting the season at 0-3.

Was Dave Wannstedt the right choice? Will he get it turned around and if not will he be gone after one season?

Thoughts??

Suitanim
09-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I follow Pitt on the periphery...ND loss was certainly acceptable, since they seem to be for real. I'm a little confused about the OU loss. Sure, Frank Solich coaches the team, and that is a HUGE step up in coaching for them (Ohio U), but not for the MAC. Miami of Ohio alone has been coached by:

Woody Hayes
Sid Gillman
Ara Parseghian
Bo Schembechler
(If you young guys don't recognize some or any of those names, do a little homework...3 of the 4 are among the greatest college coaches ever, and Sid Gillman was not only a great college coach, but also a great pro coach, and is partly responsible for the game we now know as the Super Bowl)

Dion Byrum returning 2 picks to the house made all the difference, but why was OU within 2 TD's to begin with?

New system and all that will slow Wannstedt down, but he'll be fine in the end.

Ambridge
09-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Woody Hayes
Sid Gillman
Ara Parseghian
Bo Schembechler

Wow! Those are some old relics there Suit, but all of them are Coaching Icons to say the least.
I didn't know they all had roots in the MAC.

I don't know about Wanny!!
He's never struck me as a motivating, butt kicking kinda coach.
In the first two games the Panthers didn't seem to have any fire or toughness about them on either side of the ball and they seemed to fold when the other team stepped it up.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2005, 11:44 AM
I cant say for sure if Dave W. was the right choice, but I do know that he's definately not starting out on the right foot loosing to OU. To be fair though, a first year coach installing a new system is gonna take some time to learn so their has to be a curve there to some degree so fans have to be alittle patient.

Ambridge
09-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Nebraska-7
Pitt-6

I watched most of the game and Pitt looked absolutley horrible.
They had their chances but costly penalties and terrible execution killed the Panthers.
Two missed FG's, two FG's blocked....with the last attempt to win the game being blocked with 1 second left. :pity:

Pitt's basic fundamentals and execution suck and that's all on Wanny and staff.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2005, 07:12 PM
What in the world was that FG attempt on 3rd down when the ball was snapped and hit the holder right in the helmet ??? Comon guys, playing like this just isnt good on any level.

Ambridge
09-17-2005, 07:22 PM
What in the world was that FG attempt on 3rd down when the ball was snapped and hit the holder right in the helmet ??? Comon guys, playing like this just isnt good on any level.

That was kinda funny! "Doink" right in the helmet of the holder.
The holder wasn't even looking to the snapper.

Suitanim
09-18-2005, 09:12 AM
The thing is, had he been looking, Pitt might have hit that FG and won the game...after that mistake, I think they were shaken up which led to the block...

Ambridge
09-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Up next for the Panthers............Youngstown St. comes to Heinz Field next Saturday. :rolleyes:

Suitanim
09-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Jim Tressel's old team is just what the doctor ordered...

ironcitychef
09-19-2005, 02:35 AM
I agree, Pitt is very undisciplined right now. Basics seem to have been glazed over. A win is needed to show some form of control.

Lyn
09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
I think I must jinx the Panthers because everytime I watch it seems they lose. The basketball team too. During march madness i picked them to go far but they didn't.

Ambridge
09-26-2005, 11:33 AM
I think I must jinx the Panthers because everytime I watch it seems they lose. The basketball team too. During march madness i picked them to go far but they didn't.

Lyn, I guess you weren't watching this past week? :grin:

Pitt-41
YSU-0

Pitt opens up Big East Conference play against Rutgers this Friday at 8:00.

SteelCityMan786
09-26-2005, 07:34 PM
You guys needed someone like a Saban or a Tressel. Or Harris should have stayed put.

makaveli_steeler36
09-27-2005, 06:46 PM
i havent been on since they playes NU...as you know ther my tea....but i wanna give pitt props for GOING to loncoln and playing tuff...good job and good lick

I.C. Lights
09-27-2005, 07:09 PM
So, any predictions against Rutgers - they can be dangerous you know

Ambridge
09-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Not looking good!

Rutgers-10
Pitt-0

5 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

Ambridge
09-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Rutgers scores on a 71yd punt return.

Rutgers-17
Pitt-0

:shake01:

SteelCityMan786
10-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Well Pitt Fans. Say Good Night to your consecutive bowl appearances
It's Penn State's Time

Ambridge
10-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Well Pitt Fans. Say Good Night to your consecutive bowl appearances
It's Penn State's Time

Yes! They are Pitt-iful. :frown:

Penn State is leading at half time against Minnesota 20-7.
Maybe the Nittany Lions will break into the top 25 if they hold on and get the win?????

Lyn
10-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Lyn, I guess you weren't watching this past week? :grin:

Pitt-41
YSU-0

Pitt opens up Big East Conference play against Rutgers this Friday at 8:00.

No, and see what happened. They won!~ I am not a Pitt fan or a Pitt nonfan (is that a word)? I just wish them the best and hope for them, just like I do the Mountaineers and several other college football programs.

SteelCityMan786
10-02-2005, 12:36 PM
:busted: PITT LOST AGAIN
37-29 to Rutgers looks like 1-10 from this angle if Pitt plays this bad

Ambridge
10-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Holy Crap! Pitt wins.
I can't believe the oddsmakers had them a 12 point favorite going into the game.

Pitt-38
Cincinnati-20

Ambridge
10-17-2005, 07:43 AM
What a weekend!!

The Steelers lose!
Penn State loses!
Notre Dame loses!

but
Pitt Wins!!

Pitt-31
Southern Florida-17