PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Faneca says he will report for TC

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Steelers' Faneca says he will report for training camp
Wednesday, July 18, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Alan Faneca said today he will report to the Steelers training camp on time Monday but that it will be his final summer at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

"I'll be there. I don't think I'll have bells on, but I'll be there," Faneca said from his home in Louisiana.

Faneca, a captain and the most decorated guard in team history with six Pro Bowls, will enter the final year of his contract with the Steelers and said he will play for another team in 2008 because no talks have taken place for an extension. He will become an unrestricted free agent in March. He skipped all of the team's spring drills in protest except for one required minicamp he attended.

Although still emotional about his contract situation, Faneca promised he would not be a distraction to the team this year and will perform as he has in his previous nine seasons with the team.

"I'm going to go about my business and play football. Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football.

"It's about playing with the guys next to you and playing for a job as well. It's a true sense of playing for a job, it just happens to be somewhere else the following year."

Faneca, 30, said the Steelers offered him a contract early this year but said it was so low it would not have put him among the top 10 guards in the league and called it merely a tool so club management could claim it offered him an extension.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07199/802528-66.stm

The Duke
07-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm glad he's not causing any distractions and that's good. He is obviously gone next year but he won't go out as a problem that didn't play his best just because they wouldn't pay him what he wanted, nice move Alan, now I don't have to hate you, you just continue to play like you always have and good luck next year

MACH1
07-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Hope he leaves the bad attitude home.

stillers4ever
07-18-2007, 12:18 PM
He can SAY whatever wants. I can say that ill be pickin up guard for the steelers next year. It doesnt mean anything. Hes probably just trying to beef his rep up a lil bit since he did a lot of crying over a new contract. I think Kevan Barlow will do amazing this year with the steelers.....because he WANTS to play here. Faneca DOESNT WANT to play here. Sub-consciously he will not be the 6 time probowler we are used to, and it will show on the field.

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2007, 12:33 PM
"It's about playing with the guys next to you and playing for a job as well. It's a true sense of playing for a job, it just happens to be somewhere else the following year."

It's about the fact that if you don't show up you will not get paid.

Preacher
07-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Good for him.

That is what I expect of an adult.

Now I can root for him, and then I can hope for him to go to a good team and have a great rest of the career, Like I did with Rod Woodson, Franco harris, etc.

tony hipchest
07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
"I'm going to go about my business and play football. Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football.
and a shot across the bow to the media basically saying "im gonna show up and play football and i really dont wanna be asked about it. if you ask me about it im probably gonna be a dick. report what you want".

PisnNapalm
07-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Dammit.

I've always liked Faneca and thought he was a stand up guy. I'm not at all pleased with any of this but I don't see a way out. Faneca wants more money than the Steelers are going to pay for a 30 year old lineman. He also voiced his displeasure at having such a young head coach (if I remember right). I hope he plays his ass for one more year so he lands the contract he wants. Hopefully with the Texans or perhaps the Cardinals.

Preacher
07-18-2007, 12:45 PM
and a shot across the bow to the media basically saying "im gonna show up and play football and i really dont wanna be asked about it. if you ask me about it im probably gonna be a dick. report what you want".

Yep. I love that... What I want to see is Tomlin step up and be a buffer between the media and fanaca.

rog
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
It's a shame that Alan won't have "bells on" when he gets to camp. It's a shame because regular people like myself have to get up every morning and go to a job that isn't a job that we have dreamed of having, but we do it any way . Most of us can't complain to our boss and just go threw the motions. We would simply just be replaced. I'm sure that there are thousands if not millions of people in the world that would show up with "bells on" to have the chance that Alan has had to go to work doing something they love.I know I would.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
At least he's being a proffesional about the whole situation but I think that he would be getting a new contract if he didnt wine and make such a big deal earlier in the yearby saying he didnt want to be a Steeler.

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I see Faneca putting in a pro bowl year. He wants to get paid big, and to do that he needs a great season. I see no attitude coming from him but a push to get him set in the best position to get sign by another club next season at a good price.

rog
07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I have to say that I do think he will play as hard as he has in the past. He will do everything he can to have a probowl caliber year, after all that is what players tend to do in a contract year. Look at what A-Rod is doing with the Yankees. I hope he stays healthy and gets his chance to cash in. I also agree that the whinning is what hurt his chance.

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2007, 01:46 PM
It's funny how he's trying to make himself look like a good guy. Oh, your reporting to camp Faneca? Well no ****. You need to get paid and judging that you reamed out ownership you have to save some face. Of course he's going to show up for camp. Of course he's going to act like a professional. Of course he's going to give 100% this season. Of course he's not going to cause problems. Why would he? He's playing for the next team who picks him up.

I'm not going to give the guy a round of applause and a pat on the back. He's doing it for his own interests. Not the teams.

Cape Cod Steel Head
07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Well that's nice of him!

Virginia Steeler
07-18-2007, 02:12 PM
what a joke....yeah, he's great but he is essentially saying he will just be showing up....He can talk all he wants about playing hard but I don't buy that for a second...He figures he can go at about 3/4 speed this year and get a big deal for 2008 from another team b.c he's alan faneca...give me a break...trade him for someone who wants to be here....I don't want someone who is auditioning for another team and I'm sure Ben and Willie don't want someone who isn't in for the long haul responsible for their blocking....30+ year old linemen are a dime a dozen in the NFL...

Virginia Steeler
07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I see Faneca putting in a pro bowl year. He wants to get paid big, and to do that he needs a great season. I see no attitude coming from him but a push to get him set in the best position to get sign by another club next season at a good price.

I totally disagree -- he's banking on his name and will probably go to Arizona to be with Grimm

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I totally disagree -- he's banking on his name and will probably go to Arizona to be with Grimm

I do not know about that. At his age and if he puts in a bad year just to pass time by would make teams and even Grimm think he has lost a step and is on the down side and would get him a much lower price. But we will have to wait until the games are played to see how Fan does.

fansince'76
07-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Bench his ass.

section514
07-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Bench his ass.

well you can bench the chance of Willie getting any yards on the left side of the line, bench any chance of the left flanker getting a pass, and bench the chance of Big Ben surviving the entire season

Atlanta Dan
07-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Maybe Faneca should prepare by studying film of Cowher's snarling responses to questions about his contract situation during 2006 training camp.

fansince'76
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
well you can bench the chance of Willie getting any yards on the left side of the line, bench any chance of the left flanker getting a pass, and bench the chance of Big Ben surviving the entire season

Kinda like last year? What's the diff? I'm sick of the piss-poor attitude.

HometownGal
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Of course he's going to show up for TC - he'd come across as a real dik-head if he didn't and what team owner and coach with any degree of character and professionalism wants a dik-head on their roster? He's paving the way for his exit out of Pittsburgh next season and having visions of that pie in the sky with another team. Play and act like a pro this season, Alan and after this season - don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. :wave:

onthebus36
07-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Remember, he's auditioning this season. If he has a big drop off in production, that's going to hurt his marketability. Thirty years old, bad attitude, and phoning it in are not the way to sign the big contract he wants.

I think he do fine on the field. He's not pissed at this teammates, he's pissed at the front office.

Preacher
07-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Funny....

Market forces are a very unpredictable thing. What is the crop of lineman in the draft next year? How many lineman are coming up on contract next year? How many good, or decent, lineman will be in FA next year? It just may be that Faneca finds himself settling for money he really thought was too low, for team he really doesn't want to play for, and a future that has no SB hopes ahead of it.

I wonder what would have happened if Fanaca countered with a higher amount of guaranteed money, and a handshake with the Rooney's that if his career ends up like Bettis's, he will renegotiate the guaranteed portion.

tony hipchest
07-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Maybe Faneca should prepare by studying film of Cowher's snarling responses to questions about his contract situation during 2006 training camp.

:toofunny: good one!

It's funny how he's trying to make himself look like a good guy. . its the media trying to make him look good...:wink:...(for now, anyways):

Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football.

i wonder if tomlin will have him room with s. mayhan in camp :jammin:

revefsreleets
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
If Faneca really tore it up on '06, maybe he might try to sandbag a bit, but that won't work for two reasons:

A) He didn't have the greatest season last year and he needs to prove that he's still a dominant LG
B) The Steelers have a widely respected (and well earned) reputation for recognizing value/salary. The only team in the league that might overpay after a bad season is the Cards.

He'll play his ass off and try to cash in. It's the smart play.

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 05:59 PM
FANECA STILL HAS A STICK IN HIS FANNY

Disgruntled Steelers guard Alan Faneca says that he'll report for training camp, and he has reiterated that it will be his final training camp with the Steelers franchise.

"I'll be there. I don't think I'll have bells on, but I'll be there," Faneca told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"I'm going to go about my business and play football. Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football," Faneca added.

In other words, Faneca wants to play well this year so that he can be paid well next year. And with the market for high-end players continuing to skyrocket, Faneca will surely reel in a large contract in March.

If, of course, he can stay healthy this year.

Still, we think that Faneca's chances of landing a big-money deal would be even greater if he could find a way to keep to himself his feelings of disgruntlement (we're not sure that's even be a word -- we might have to check with Tiki), he might find even more teams willing to pay him big money.

From PFT..

RoethlisBURGHer
07-18-2007, 06:37 PM
FANECA STILL HAS A STICK IN HIS FANNY

:toofunny::sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't care about Faneca anymore, kinda wish he was gone already.

steelpride12
07-18-2007, 10:01 PM
its almost sad to me in a way cuz he was such a great leader and im just ashamed that he is doin this and like being in these moods and it hurts to see what money can do i used to love this guy but now im just mad and upset bout him!

mental.apparition
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
If Faneca didn't want to be a distraction to the team he would have shut his mouth after saying "I'll be to camp on time." The rest of his garbage about bells and a new team and a low ball offer only provide more fuel for the media.

Let's be real here. The comment regarding the media wasn't a 'shot across the bow'. It was more like whacking a hornets nest with a stick and Faneca knows it.

Anything other than silence from Faneca will keep this story alive. Faneca has a knack for providing leading story quotes...

"Exciting? No, it's not exciting. Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?"

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2007, 08:43 AM
its the media trying to make him look good...:wink:...(for now, anyways)

At least he's covering his behind just in case he decides to have diarrhea of the mouth later on in the season. Ahh yes, it will be the media's fault if I say something stupid. I've never heard an athlete use that one before. Porter and Ward come to mind. It's the media, they are just looking for a story and, and, and they took my words out of context. Niiiiiiice. :thumbsup:

Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football.

So it was the media who made Faneca flip out in front of his locker a few months back. It was Bouchette's fault!! Damn him!!! Now I see the truth and the truth shall set you free.

BTW, there's a cure for the way "they perceive me". A simple "NO COMMENT" option during interviews always works. But.....big heads, big mouths, big ego's normally take the spout off option and then place the blame elsewhere.

Jman
07-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I like Fanaca; Don't know many people who own a Faneca jersey (even). I was quite surprised at the comments he has made. Although the Steelers never break the bank for players, and that he didn't land a fat contract, I would expect Alan to present himself in a more professional manner. Now he will land himself a great deal w/ a team next year, who will break the bank on him, possibly giving up opportunities to "cash in" on other players. Like the other folks have said, he should have signed a good career-ending contract w/ the Steelers. He might have had another shot (at the SB). Teams that drop that 50 mil on one player, usually don't end up on top.

Edman
07-19-2007, 09:13 AM
I really don't care that Faneca does now. He's burned his bridges with me already. Now I can't wait until he leaves.

fansince'76
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
If Faneca didn't want to be a distraction to the team he would have shut his mouth after saying "I'll be to camp on time." The rest of his garbage about bells and a new team and a low ball offer only provide more fuel for the media.

Bingo. The "bells" comment was absolutely unnecessary if he were really sincere about not wanting to be a distraction.

steelpride12
07-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Bingo. The "bells" comment was absolutely unnecessary if he were really sincere about not wanting to be a distraction.

Most def. i just wish sadly that he would finish his season and leave we dont need someone like him when we have great guys like Ward, Ike, and Troy as great leaders!

tony hipchest
08-24-2007, 11:17 AM
heres some exerpts from fanecas weekly press conference:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_523800.html

Alan Faneca: No new contract talks with Steelers

Faneca, who promised during an angry outburst three months ago that he was done with the Steelers after this season, said Thursday there have been no discussions.

"No, nothing new," Faneca said.

theres a shocker. is he really waiting for something new? last thing that was "new" was him torching bridges before mini camps.

Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, has not made such strong comments since then. But it is evident he is displeased at playing without contract protection for next season.

"In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. And to make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," Faneca said

can it be even more evident? we'll see after the 1st loss. shame on the rooneys for making him walk the plank like this.

however,

With the contract talks almost certainly behind him, Faneca is trying to concentrate on getting ready for the season even though new coach Mike Tomlin has yet to reveal his starting offensive line.

thats great of him to try so hard to concentrade despite the new coaches distractions. :chuckle:

Tomlin hasn't chosen a center, where Sean Mahan is running ahead of Chukky Okobi, or a right tackle, where Willie Colon was playing ahead of Max Starks until Starks worked with the regulars Thursday.

"That will come in time," said Faneca, who clearly wishes the team would settle on a lineup. "I think we just keep marching on and they'll let us know about all that stuff."

this really was a dumb title for the article. it shouldve been called "its evident that faneca is still pissed and clear that he will not get over it anytime soon".

stay tuned for next weeks presser.

GeneralRobinson
08-24-2007, 11:28 AM
He (Faneca) signed a $5.2 million, five-year deal as a rookie in 1998, one that included $1.6 million in incentives. In 2002, he signed a six-year extension worth $25.55 million, a contract that has since been restructured numerous times to help the Steelers manage the salary cap.

I respect Alan Faneca, but it's hard to understand a person's claim that he lacks security when their income over the past 10 seasons totals $30.75 million.

rbryan
08-24-2007, 01:11 PM

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_523800.html

theres a shocker. is he really waiting for something new? last thing that was "new" was him torching bridges before mini camps.

can it be even more evident? we'll see after the 1st loss. shame on the rooneys for making him walk the plank like this.

however,

thats great of him to try so hard to concentrade despite the new coaches distractions. :chuckle:

this really was a dumb title for the article. it shouldve been called "its evident that faneca is still pissed and clear that he will not [/COLOR[COLOR="Red"]]get over it anytime soon".

Sounds about right. Faneca apparently can't help but be a total douchebag every time someone shoves a camera in his face.

He whines more than my ex-wife.

steelafan
08-24-2007, 07:57 PM

however,

this really was a dumb title for the article. it shouldve been called "its evident that faneca is still pissed and clear that he will not get over it anytime soon".

You make it sound as if these are new quotes and that Faneca is still being vocal as he was in May. The REPORTER said "Faneca is trying to concentrate . . . even though . . ." Faneca did not say it. And accusing Faneca of still being pissed and not getting over it anytime soon - again - seems to be a response to the reporter's ADDITION following the Faneca quote. Just because a reporter is trying to stir things up and come up with a story, doesn't make it fair to turn on the player being used for a story. What would people have him do at this point that he isn't already doing? - Other than not saying anything, because then people would be even more critical. I think Faneca is doing what he can to get on with the season and we should not let reporters stir us up, because Faneca is not the one doing the stirring.

tony hipchest
08-24-2007, 08:33 PM
You make it sound as if these are new quotes and that Faneca is still being vocal as he was in May. The REPORTER said "Faneca is trying to concentrate . . . even though . . ." Faneca did not say it. And accusing Faneca of still being pissed and not getting over it anytime soon - again - seems to be a response to the reporter's ADDITION following the Faneca quote. Just because a reporter is trying to stir things up and come up with a story, doesn't make it fair to turn on the player being used for a story. What would people have him do at this point that he isn't already doing? - Other than not saying anything, because then people would be even more critical. I think Faneca is doing what he can to get on with the season and we should not let reporters stir us up, because Faneca is not the one doing the stirring.

:fishing:

i knew it! its the media's fault!

dont shoot me. im just the messenger..

i clearly kept seperate my opinion, and highlighted the writer's embellishments along with fanecas one remark that gave him the impressions he wrote about.

in no way did i make it sound like these were new comments. in fact, in a calculated manner, i quoted statements to the contrary:

Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, has not made such strong comments since then. But it is evident he is displeased at playing without contract protection for next season.

believe me, i know that when i see these little thingies in an article: " " " ", somebody is being quoted.

:stirthepot: and i will take your advice to not get too stirred up about it. however i will continue to laugh when everytime alan tries to convince people he is being forced to play.

nobody made him show up and play for the 4 million left on the 30 mil $$$ deal he signed. i do credit him for not saying the common hogwash that he would play this game for free.

and the unnamed AP writer doesnt get off the hook that easy either. his intentions were clear, and that was to try and make a story out of a 3 month old story. pretty weak and unimaginative. did i not comment on that when i called the title to his whole entire article "dumb"?

steelafan
08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
:fishing:

i knew it! its the media's fault!

dont shoot me. im just the messenger..

i clearly kept seperate my opinion, and highlighted the writer's embellishments along with fanecas one remark that gave him the impressions he wrote about.

in no way did i make it sound like these were new comments. in fact, in a calculated manner, i quoted statements to the contrary:

believe me, i know that when i see these little thingies in an article: " " " ", somebody is being quoted.

:stirthepot: and i will take your advice to not get too stirred up about it. however i will continue to laugh when everytime alan tries to convince people he is being forced to play.

nobody made him show up and play for the 4 million $$$ deal he signed. i do credit him for not saying the common hogwash that he would play this game for free.

and the unnamed AP writer doesnt get off the hook that easy either. his intentions were clear, and that was to try and make a story out of a 3 month old story. pretty weak and unimaginative. did i not comment on that when i called the title to his whole entire article "dumb"?

While you "highlighted the writer's embellishments" and kept your own opinion separate, I still feel your criticism of Faneca was based on what the reporter said, not on what Faneca said. Faneca clearly said very little, almost nothing. "No, nothing new" is about as plain and understated as he could have been. And the quote about this year's starting line was probably as supportive as anyone has been of that situation lately. I do not believe the reporter heard Faneca utter any more than was quoted, or he would have quoted it. All of the reporter's comments were like big "Duh!" statements about what Faneca might be feeling based on his May comments.

tony hipchest
08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
While you "highlighted the writer's embellishments" and kept your own opinion separate, I still feel your criticism of Faneca was based on what the reporter said, not on what Faneca said. Faneca clearly said very little, almost nothing. "No, nothing new" is about as plain and understated as he could have been. And the quote about this year's starting line was probably as supportive as anyone has been of that situation lately. I do not believe the reporter heard Faneca utter any more than was quoted, or he would have quoted it. All of the reporter's comments were like big "Duh!" statements about what Faneca might be feeling based on his May comments.i understand faneca being butt-hurt. and i recognize him as one of the greatest steeler guards of all time and one of the best guards (if not the best )during the tenure of his playing time.

however if he insists on making comments like these on a weekly basis,

"In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. And to make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," Faneca said

nobody is making him do crap, and he isnt going out there just to "play football". hes going out to earn his paycheck. otherwise, he can sit out the year, and allow the steelers to trade his rights away next season. thats only the fair thing to do, and it works out for both parties.

since faneca aint saying nothing new, or something that wasnt said in May, its about time for him to shut the hell up. unfortunately he has already delivered his manifesto declaring he is more than happy to rehash old, tired, subjects on a weekly basis if thats what the media wants.

im beyond feeling sorry for him.

you would think faneca's making enough side money making campbells soup commercials or something. if not i suggest he give it a try.

here you go alan, have a bowl:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/stfu2.jpg

steelafan
08-24-2007, 10:43 PM

This is what Faneca said 3 months ago, not this week. He is not rehashing anything. He merely confirmed to a reporter that there were no new negotiations going on. It seems to me that he has already STFU. It seems as if you are the one ranting now - and about old news that some reporter dug up.

I know I'm not as knowledgeable about football or the Steelers as you or probably everyone here, but I probably do know just as much as most about human nature and the news/sports media and more than most about Faneca. It makes me want to remind people that we easily forget that the players are people too. They are no more perfect, selfish, or money-grubbing than the rest of us are. And we are just as imperfect, selfish, and money-grubbing as they are. So, okay, we comment about their seeming imperfect, selfish, money-grubbing appearances, but how fair is it of us to continue tearing them down and speaking of them as if they were the dirt under our feet for the very things we (the collective "we" - not you in particular) either already do or would do in their place?

tony hipchest
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM

This is what Faneca said 3 months ago, not this week. He is not rehashing anything. He merely confirmed to a reporter that there were no new negotiations going on. It seems to me that he has already STFU. It seems as if you are the one ranting now - and about old news that some reporter dug up.

I know I'm not as knowledgeable about football or the Steelers as you or probably everyone here, but I probably do know just as much as most about human nature and the news/sports media and more than most about Faneca. It makes me want to remind people that we easily forget that the players are people too. They are no more perfect, selfish, or money-grubbing than the rest of us are. And we are just as imperfect, selfish, and money-grubbing as they are. So, okay, we comment about their seeming imperfect, selfish, money-grubbing appearances, but how fair is it of us to continue tearing them down and speaking of them as if they were the dirt under our feet for the very things we (the collective "we" - not you in particular) either already do or would do in their place?

try clicking the link, reading the article, and puting things into context for yourself. i am not here to read the articles to you.

do you really think faneca said this 3 months ago?

Faneca, who promised during an angry outburst three months ago that he was done with the Steelers after this season, said Thursday there have been no discussions.

"No, nothing new," Faneca said.

no. its painfully obvious the writer of the article was using recent words out of fanecas mouth (as recent as thursday, aug. 23, 2007).

faneca has been the best soundbite on a weekly basis this year. he said he would do as much and theres plenty of articles and quotes all across this board on the subject.

i understand your humanistic defense of him but it is becoming a bit overzealous when you cant even grasp a simple article and what was said yesterday as opposed to what is being referred to from several months back.

i easilly comprehend the article. please dont make it seem like it is something more than what it is.

"I do things right. I go out there, I play hard and give it everything I have. I think guys in the locker room see that and, to be treated like this, I think it sends a message, a quiet but strong message," Faneca said on May 11.

please note the author is specifying an old quote he is using. as opposed to this:

Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, has not made such strong comments since then. But it is evident [based on the authors interpretation of fanecas recent words in regards to his contractual situation]he is displeased at playing without contract protection for next season.

"In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. And to make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," Faneca said.

please note this isnt specified as an old quote. just faneca saying the same old stuff :blah: over, and over, and over. he brings this scrutiny upon himself. perhaps its time for him to can it and take the high road like his employers:

The Steelers don't discuss contract matters,

and the steelers certainly dont negotiate contracts, or beg for leverage, through the media. they gave, parker, hampton, taylor, and aaron smith very fair (perhaps overly fair) extensions without a peep to the media from either sides. and polamalu took the high road and was rewarded as the highest paid at his position much like faneca did/ and was, when he was troys age.

threaten to be a distraction and you will find yourself alongside joey porter. if faneca is gonna continue being a prick, it only reinforces my belief that we shoulda sold high, and gotten something valuable in return via a trade before the draft.

verks36
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
there is a difference from just playing and playing with heart. I dont think faneca will play with heart this season. He knows he isnt going to be a steeler next year and that is that.

I hope he does well on the field but there is apart of me that thinks he wont give a crap if he lets a guy by who drills ben

steelafan
08-25-2007, 06:51 AM
try clicking the link, reading the article, and puting things into context for yourself. i am not here to read the articles to you.

do you really think faneca said this 3 months ago?

no. its painfully obvious the writer of the article was using recent words out of fanecas mouth (as recent as thursday, aug. 23, 2007).

faneca has been the best soundbite on a weekly basis this year. he said he would do as much and theres plenty of articles and quotes all across this board on the subject.

i understand your humanistic defense of him but it is becoming a bit overzealous when you cant even grasp a simple article and what was said yesterday as opposed to what is being referred to from several months back.

i easilly comprehend the article. please dont make it seem like it is something more than what it is.

please note the author is specifying an old quote he is using. as opposed to this:

please note this isnt specified as an old quote. just faneca saying the same old stuff :blah: over, and over, and over. he brings this scrutiny upon himself. perhaps its time for him to can it and take the high road like his employers:

and the steelers certainly dont negotiate contracts, or beg for leverage, through the media. they gave, parker, hampton, taylor, and aaron smith very fair (perhaps overly fair) extensions without a peep to the media from either sides. and polamalu took the high road and was rewarded as the highest paid at his position much like faneca did/ and was, when he was troys age.

threaten to be a distraction and you will find yourself alongside joey porter. if faneca is gonna continue being a prick, it only reinforces my belief that we shoulda sold high, and gotten something valuable in return via a trade before the draft.

I, too, know how to read. And I remember reading the exact words:

"In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. And to make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," Faneca said.

back in May. The only new words in this week's article were "No. Nothing new."

I can't post links, but if you paste the longer quote into a search engine, you'll find an article that credits that comment to Faneca on May 11.

Did anyone really think he would or should change his mind. He said what he meant and he meant what he said. That he still thinks that way shouldn't be a surprise to us, but he certainly has backed way off of anything more than a quiet confirmation (since the Steelers won't confirm or deny anything) that there are no new negotiations.