View Full Version : Steelers' Barlow Vs. Davenport: A RB Comparison

SteelersFever
07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Title: Steelers' Barlow Vs. Davenport: A RB Comparison
Source: Steelers Fever
Date: 7/18/07
Author: Paul Eide

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0736.html

Summary: It may not be Luke Skywalker versus Darth Vader, but a battle is being waged for the Steelers number two running back position behind starter Willie Parker. Seven year veteran Kevan Barlow and sixth year pro Najeh Davenport are competing for the role of Parker's primary back up and the loser may find himself in the NFL unemployment come September.

The Duke
07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Hope Dookie gets it, no offense to Barlow but I think he's lost a step and won't get in the team.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Hmm.... A Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader thread. Intresting............

Preacher
07-18-2007, 01:15 PM
May the best man win.

I don't mind Dookie getting it, but I am worried about his ability to stay healthy.

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Dookie wins hands down. Barlow came in slow and out of shape.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Dookie also but I dont see him as a ligitament number 2 back.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-18-2007, 01:32 PM
I was listening to Doug Buffone on Chicago sports and he suspected that there may be a chance for Kuhn to get a shot at Fullback this year...havn't heard it anywhere else..but Uncle Dougie does have Pittsburgh connections with being raised in Yatesboro and attending High School at Shannock Valley

The Duke
07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I was listening to Doug Buffone on Chicago sports and he suspected that there may be a chance for Kuhn to get a shot at Fullback this year...havn't heard it anywhere else..but Uncle Dougie does have Pittsburgh connections with being raised in Yatesboro and attending High School at Shannock Valley

I hope Kuhn gets a job at fullback, but he's talking about a backup fullback job right? Kuhn is great but the backfield is really crowded and his best chances actually seem to be at fullback.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I wouldnt mind Kuhn being our backup fullback. We have really lacked depth there the last few years and if Kreider were to get injured we could be in trouble.

HometownGal
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I've seen some of what Pooper can do behind center with the Steelers, but won't be able to see what Barlow's got until TC and pre-season, so it is kind of unfair for me to voice a legitimate opinion at this point.

dhosmer
07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Perhaps all the Kuhn at FB talk is legit, because Kreider's contract does expire after this year. Maybe he'll split some plays with Kreider this year, making Dan expendable next year if Kuhn is decent there.

Crushzilla
07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Perhaps all the Kuhn at FB talk is legit, because Kreider's contract does expire after this year. Maybe he'll split some plays with Kreider this year, making Dan expendable next year if Kuhn is decent there.

Which would start the John Kuhn Hall of Fame run...

I feel like its too early, but like Barlow. Davenport was alright last year, though I doubt seniority matters to Tomlin at this juncture...

C-BusSteeler
07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
i think we need a 3rd down back and it doesnt seem to me that either of these guys fit that role....but correct me if im wrong

Jman
07-18-2007, 03:35 PM
vote for verron in 2007!

onthebus36
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
i think we need a 3rd down back and it doesnt seem to me that either of these guys fit that role....but correct me if im wrong

I think Davenport could be a decent third down back. He has pretty good hands and can block. Needs improvement in both in my opinion but in fairness, I haven't seen much of him.

Verron Haynes is a pretty solid third down back. If he has recovered from his injury last year, I think he'll resume that role.

I haven't seen enough of Barlow to make a fair assessment.

All that being said, I think it's unlikely Coach Tomlin is going to play favorite or give veteran's preference and these guys better not pull a Duce Staley and show up out of shape for camp. I give a slight edge to Davenport because he can play special teams and seems more versatile than Barlow. Versatility may be a factor in who makes the team this year.

With all the tight ends they are talking about keeping, I don't think we have room for two fullbacks. I suspect Kuhn will go to the practice squad again.

revefsreleets
07-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Barlow worked hard in the off season the last couple of years, so I'm surprised to hear that he wasn't prepared this year.

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Well verron is back and will be at training camp. So there will be a lot of battles going on.. That is for sure. I still See Parker #1, Dookie #2 to Parker and Haynes #3rd down back. Dookie can do so much more then Barlow and Dookie came in shape and is great on STs and if he has a strong camp I see Barlow in trouble.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I think Davenport could be a decent third down back. He has pretty good hands and can block. Needs improvement in both in my opinion but in fairness, I haven't seen much of him.

Agreed I like Davenport as our third down guy but I'm hoping that maybe Kuhn can be our short yardage guy. Davenport didnt impress me last year in short yard situations. I recall him being stuffed at the line but this could also have been our o-lines fault.

The Duke
07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Davenport didnt impress me last year in short yard situations. I recall him being stuffed at the line but this could also have been our o-lines fault.

The o line was a problem, but Davenport was still learning the system last season, this year he says he's more comfortable with the team and has had time to study the playbook, done OTA's with the team and will be in his first training camp with the team, trust me, Dookie will be better this year

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Verron Haynes is a pretty solid third down back. If he has recovered from his injury last year, I think he'll resume that role.

I haven't seen enough of Barlow to make a fair assessment.

All that being said, I think it's unlikely Coach Tomlin is going to play favorite or give veteran's preference and these guys better not pull a Duce Staley and show up out of shape for camp. I give a slight edge to Davenport because he can play special teams and seems more versatile than Barlow. Versatility may be a factor in who makes the team this year.

With all the tight ends they are talking about keeping, I don't think we have room for two fullbacks. I suspect Kuhn will go to the practice squad again.

Agreed...If Kuhn truly is being looked at at the FB position...he will have to win it outright. They won't field two.

steelpride12
07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes i will have to go with Davenport as our third down back over Barlow he can get them extra yards we need(4th and 1)(Goaline) and he can block very well and has a great edge over BarLOW for the second string runningback!