PDA

View Full Version : Woodley/Steelers Come to Agreement

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Ed Bouchette just stated on "Sports Beat" that Woodley and the Steelers have come to an agreement. Ed also stated the Polamalu deal is pretty much done. Should be announced some time around the opening of camp. Sorry I have no link, but they are interviewing Bouchette right now on "Sports Beat".

EDIT: Link on page 2 of this thread.

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 06:57 PM
That is great news.. Thanks..

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
That is great news.. Thanks..

No problem CC. Ed also went on to say that there has been zero communication between the Steelers FO, Simmons and Starks (contract wise). Also stated Essex and Colclough are on their last legs (duh).

The Duke
07-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Perfect

duma
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Great! Things are moving along very well.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Ed Bouchette just stated on "Sports Beat" that Woodley and the Steelers have come to an agreement. Ed also stated the Polamalu deal is pretty much done. Should be announced some time around the opening of camp. Sorry I have no link, but they are interviewing Bouchette right now on "Sports Beat".

Beat me to it 83......:sofunny: I was just going to post this about Woodley and Troy......I never miss Sports Beat.....its my constant connection to the Burgh.......

I'm really excited to see Woodley this pre-season.......

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Great news 83 thanks for the info.

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Great news 83 thanks for the info.

No problem TSK. Bouchette also stated that there is a high possibility that Timmons will be signed by Monday. It looks like the Steelers will get business wrapped up over the week/weekend.

Good to hear. Get our picks signed and Troy's contract done and out of the way with. Then, look to camp and get ready for the season.

54 more days until we hand out a beating to the Cleveland Browns. :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

stillers4me
07-18-2007, 08:22 PM
The Wood!! :jammin:

NV STEELERS 723
07-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Awesome news...especially Troy news!

tony hipchest
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
No problem CC. Ed also went on to say that there has been zero communication between the Steelers FO, Simmons and Starks (contract wise). Also stated Essex and Colclough are on their last legs (duh).all the pieces are falling into place.

my previous crude estimates for next years cap was 13.6 mil below (assuming we dont resign haggans and faneca) not keeping simmons, starks, colclough, and essex would save roughly another 4 mil = 17.6 under.

letting wilson and okolbi go would save about another 5 mil = 22.6 mil under the cap. that leaves plenty of room for troys payraise and re-negotiations for b. mcfadden, anthony smith, and possibly marvel smith (at a discount) and possibly big ben, especially with the cap due to raise again for the next 2 years.

players like kreider, tuman, and kirsche could be on the bubble and save an additional 5-6 mil.

basically our core is in place with plenty of room for rookies and a few free agents. tomlin will be able to build the team as he sees fit and all the most important starters will remain in place.

our money in the bank/ace in the hole is hines ward and the potential of him taking a pay cut as opposed to getting the boot. as i see teams such as colts, pats, chargers, baltimore and bengals looming towards salary cap hell or losing lots of potential pro bowl starting talent, i certainly like the direction the steelers are heading in and feel we are ahead of the curve.

our "rebuilding" phase should be quick and painless.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-18-2007, 08:48 PM
I know that we have Woodley, but personally I would like to see Pittsburgh resign Haggens. Although that lolb position is getting crowded with Arnold Harrison, Haggens and Woodley

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Here you go..........

Steelers reach deal with Woodley
Wednesday, July 18, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today have come to a contract agreement with second-round draft choice LaMarr Woodley. The length of the deal is four years. The financial terms were unavailable.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07199/802742-100.stm

steelersfanman92
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Yea I cant wait to see the Wood suite up and take out some opposing QB

SteelCityMan786
07-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Great work. Now to get Timmons signed.

ChronoCross
07-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Timmons, Spaeth and Gay left to sign.. Almost there.

SteelCityMan786
07-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Timmons, Spaeth and Gay left to sign.. Almost there.

Still less then a week till we start camp.

FourThreeMafia
07-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Couple things...

First off, I am huge on Woodley, so I am thrilled he is signed.

Timmons, I am indifferent to. He is very raw with limited experience, and if we stick with the 3-4, he really isnt going to set the world on fire as a 3-4 OLB. He is just under 6.1 and weighs about 230 which isnt really big enough for a 3-4 OLB. I could see him possibly being like Kendrell Bell and playing inside more effectively, maybe replacing Foote. I personally think timed speed and size are overrated, and the game is being revolutionized every year, so there is a chance Timmons could be great at OLB, but I see Woodley making more of an impact there...best case Shawne Merriman, worst case Clark Haggans. His timed speed isnt fast but he plays ALOT faster than that. Some players time fast but play slow in pads in the game. Both Timmons and Woodley play faster than they timed. Woodley was projected to be a top 10 pick until his time dropped him, which is okay by me because he may be a HUGE steal if he is even nearly as effective as he was in college.

I still think next year we may need to get another LB, maybe an ILB to replace the aging Farrior. It would be nice to get James Laurenitis, but I doubt that will happen since he will probably go earlier and we will probably need to draft an OLineman with our first pick.

I still think our LB corps needs alot of work. At this point, this is the worst our LB corps and OLine have looked since the final years of the Chuck Noll era.

steelpride12
07-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Heck yes!!

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Little info on Timmons...........

"We're hopeful we can get a deal done in time for camp; that's important," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "Things have progressed the way we would have liked. We've made a lot of headway, particularly the past week."

Rosenhaus said he and his brother and business partner, Jason, hope to arrive in Pittsburgh in the next few days to complete a deal for Timmons, a linebacker from Florida State who was the 15th overall selection in the draft.

Timmons has been working out in Pittsburgh under the supervision of the Steelers, rehabbing an injured groin that kept him off the field for all of spring drills except for the first practice, when the injury occurred.

"He's 100 percent," Rosenhaus said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07200/802766-66.stm

steelpride12
07-19-2007, 12:34 AM
i still love Haggans tho i mean he is one of the best LB in the game he is just under the radar!

The Duke
07-19-2007, 01:35 AM
i still love Haggans tho i mean he is one of the best LB in the game he is just under the radar!

He did lose a step last season and is hoping to climb back, but as you say he is definitely under the radar

Preacher
07-19-2007, 01:41 AM
I really think we are going to enter camp without a distraction. That is EXACTLY what we need. Keep our name out of the national spotlight until they look up and say... How the heck did THEY get into first place?

nwksteeler
07-19-2007, 02:28 AM
Love it, Polomalu deserves his

Galax Steeler
07-19-2007, 04:55 AM
This is great news I look forward seeing timmons and woodley in action.I think woodley will make the bigger impact.

Buzz05
07-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Ladies and Gents...The man they call the QB Killer is in the house :tt02:

msafford
07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Ladies and Gents...The man they call the QB Killer is in the house :tt02:

Watched him all through his college. I believe we're in for a treat ladies and gentlemen! :tt02:

Jman
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Watched him all through his college. I believe we're in for a treat ladies and gentlemen! :tt02:

Haven't watched much of him in College - how is this man off the line? In say a Dime situation?

ChronoCross
07-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Steelers | Team close on agreement with Spaeth
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:16:59 -0700

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are close to an agreement with third-round draft choice TE Matt Spaeth.

Steelers | Timmons' agent thinks deal can get done
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:14:44 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Pittsburgh Steelers first-round draft choice LB Lawrence Timmons, will be in Pittsburgh in a few days to negotiate and believes a deal can be reached before training camp. "We're hopeful we can get a deal done in time for camp; that's important. Things have progressed the way we would have liked. We've made a lot of headway, particularly the past week," Rosenhaus said.