PDA

View Full Version : Well.... so much for loyalty.

jtdapit
07-19-2007, 03:27 PM
K. What the hell happened to the loyalty in the league? You would think that if you love your team, the city, and the players that you would stay. Look at Joey Porter. Was there any other steeler on his team that bled black and gold as much as he did? No. but, the steelers didnt want to pay to high, so whats the steelerlover do? Packs up and heads to Miami. The same goes for around the leauge. Your making a lot of dough and you want more? its just a big competition between players these days. "Ah steve hutchinson got this much, I have to get more!" Well you know what faneca its 10x more classy to take a pay cut or not ask for so much more. Jerome did it. He got a ring by doing it. I don't know. Jack lambert had one teaem only. Help me out someone.

MACH1
07-19-2007, 03:31 PM
You know the saying--money talks, BS walks.

Porter wanted to be paid a whole lot more than what he's worth. imo

jtdapit
07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
I just feel bad for the rooneys. Theres lots of speculation that there not loyal enough to their players. Well you know what. It goes both ways.

SteelCityMan786
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
You know the saying--money talks, BS walks.

Porter wanted to be paid a whole lot more than what he's worth. imo

:iagree: well said. It's going around like that all the time in today's NFL.

MACH1
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
yeah...but you cant over pay someone based on loyalty only.

R2sojr
07-19-2007, 03:48 PM
i think that was a main problem especially when cowher was here....thats why everything is all shook up now and nobody is granted there starting job. I think it is a good thing and will make players play basically to keep their job

Newzfoxjr
07-19-2007, 04:49 PM
If I ever played in the NFL, I'd try to stick with one team if it was up to me. I'd just be glad to be making that much money at that point. I don't need to make 6 million extra dollars or some BS when I can live off way less then the minimum in the league.

tony hipchest
07-19-2007, 05:06 PM
"money cant buy me love, but it sure can buy me all the things i love."

revefsreleets
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Free Agency is what happened to loyalty.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Joey was my favorite player as a Steeler and I really hoped that he would resign for less money so we could bring in some young rooks but I guess thats buisness.

jtdapit
07-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Damn. Take a lesson from Jerome. Take da pay cut. Win da big bucks. And he retired a Steeler. Who the hell would want to retire as a Dolphin?....Gay.

The Duke
07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
jtdapit;266740Who the hell would want to retire as a Dolphin?....Gay.

Marino, and what did he got, nothing.:dang:

SteelersMongol
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Damn. Take a lesson from Jerome. Take da pay cut. Win da big bucks. And he retired a Steeler ...

WELL SAID. :thumbsup:

Buzz05
07-20-2007, 05:43 AM
I put all of this on Joey. I cant blame the Rooney's for not paying top dollar for a player in the twighlight of his career. Joey wanted top dollar and in order to resign the other key componants on that Super Bowl team they had to let him go. Smart business move on the Rooney's part. I have no complaints about what they did. It was a great partnership while it lasted but sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. IMO Joey signed his release papers the day he said he would be a problem in camp if he didnt get his extension.

AlleghenyArsenal
07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I think it would be safe to say most people here liked Joey.However,I gotta say,I knew his days were numbered whenever I started hearing coach Tomlin speak.He just dosent seem like the kind of guy who is a big fan of all thejaw-jacking Porter was famous for.I think their might have been a serious personality clash between these two.Also,we cant afford to throw a whole lot of money into an over-the-hill OLB,when we have younger,better players who are the future,that are going to demand alot of money,and who will deserve it.The same applies to Faneca.I still think we should have swung some kind of deal involving him on draft day.

jtdapit
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I want to beacome an NFL agent that only deals with players who want to play and win games and be the best they can be.... ones that arent so concerned about money.

Yeah i would be out of a job in the first month. But at least poeple would be like, "He was a great idealist, but that could never happen."

rog
07-20-2007, 12:29 PM
The only loyalty that is in sports today is the loyalty the fan has for his or her team. Players come and go these days...I don't blame them it is the system that is to blame. I work for Pepsi you better believe I'd be at Coke tomorrow if they offered more money. I think most would do the same. I have a tattoo of the Steelers logo not of Joey Porter or Alan Faneca.

jtdapit
07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Bro i mostly agree. but sadly enough.... Fans are now bandwagon jumpers. and if crying players doesnt piss me off its people who switch from teams like new england pittsburgh, indy. screw that. The die hard fan and player is a dying breed.

revefsreleets
07-20-2007, 05:34 PM
I look at a guy like Jim Thome and wonder: What was he thinking? He left a Cleveland team that was slipping a bit but was still in the hunt (and has been competitive even DURING rebuilding) and he went to Philly. Philly?

There was just an article in SI about the futility of playing baseball in Philly. Sure he had success and had a couple great years in Chicago to boot, but why leave Cleveland over a few million bucks? They found him, groomed him, made him successful, and they actually offered a very competitive contract that would have honored him with things like statues in front of the Jake and help with his charities and stuff that you can't put a price on, and he still walked. That was pure greed, and showed zero class and zero loyalty. He actually had the balls to mention "I had to make sure I took care of my family". Huh? How does 12 million a year NOT take care of his family? Does he need to buy Jumbo Jets for all his kids?

The greed in these guys is getting out of control.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 06:29 PM
That is why I was impressed with Ichiro. Sure, the Mariners put out a HUGE payday for him. One that they will be paying for the next 25 years. However, I guarantee you that in Ichiro wanted to, he could have said no, and got a BIGGER paycheck in free-agency. Boston, Yankees, etc. etc. could absolutely have smothered any Mariner offer.

revefsreleets
07-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I honestly believe that it was his foreign upbringing. It may not be popular to say, but it's true. If this guy was born in Kansas instead of Kasugai, he'd be making 20 million a year in Yankee penstripes.