PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cut wide receiver, long snapper

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Steelers cut wide receiver, long snapper
Thursday, July 19, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers trimmed their roster to 86 players today when they released first-year wide receiver Gerran Walker and free agent rookie long snapper Jared Retkofsky.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07200/802937-66.stm

Preacher
07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Who and who?

Crushzilla
07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Damn. I was hoping it was Washington :wink02:

steelcity58
07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I was hoping it was Holmes.:flap:

tony hipchest
07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Damn. I was hoping it was Washington :wink02:

:dang::banging::dang::banging::dang:

now this is a rather obscure and kinda complex ranking system (see link), but some see the potential washington showed in his 1st year on the active roster:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7033202

Mitigation. Hines Ward's decline is being met by the ascension of Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller into excellent players; either way, a healthy Ben Roethlisberger will make everyone's numbers look better this year. Nate Washington (19.9 percent DVOA, 14th in the league) is rounding into form as an Antwaan Randle El replacement, and it would be shocking if this group were not closer to the top 10 this time next season.

Preacher
07-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Hmmm....

Who knows... I would love to see him succeed (Washington), but I don't know.

Crushzilla
07-19-2007, 08:06 PM
I will see him off the roster.

He survives another day...

He has eluded me once again...

2lXL7HflU1Q

Livinginthe past
07-19-2007, 08:07 PM
You know im sure i've seen that hammy actor somewhere else recently......

Jman
07-19-2007, 08:08 PM
I agree Preacher. I don't know about Washington either. He had a lot of drops (some key in the end zone) last year. However, in the rookie year, he prevented a pass being picked off in the end zone during the Denver game (I believe). Kid's got heart from what I have seen. The skill just needs to be developed.

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Nate Washington (19.9 percent DVOA, 14th in the league) is rounding into form as an Antwaan Randle El replacement,

That's good to hear. Now he has to prove it instead of dropping balls in the endzone. Hopefully he steps up this season. Until then he's still questionable in my book.

tony hipchest
07-19-2007, 08:14 PM
the good news is tomlin said willie reid is ready to go (although he is going to most certainly have some UDFA competition in camp)

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2007, 08:15 PM
the good news is tomlin said willie reid is ready to go (although he is going to most certainly have some UDFA competition in camp)

Good news. We need anybody and everybody we can get for returns.

Preacher
07-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Excellent. We carried him last year... made room for him again. Now I want to see what he can do!

Jman
07-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Are there any other receivers worthy of an honorable mention?

ChronoCross
07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree Preacher. I don't know about Washington either. He had a lot of drops (some key in the end zone) last year. However, in the rookie year, he prevented a pass being picked off in the end zone during the Denver game (I believe). Kid's got heart from what I have seen. The skill just needs to be developed.

Washington could not compare to the amount of the league leading in drops WR last year in TO, heck throw in Hines and Cedrics drops and they do not amount to that..

Crushzilla
07-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Washington could not compare to the amount of the league leading in drops WR last year in TO, heck throw in Hines and Cedrics drops and they do not amount to that..

He led the league in touchdowns, though.

Preacher
07-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah...

But T.O.'s wittle fingah hurted!

Actually... One thing I can NEVER fault about T.O. He has an amazing work ethic, and plays through pain. If he had the attitude of Hines (I think there was a thread about that), he would be THE top threat in the NFL, hands down... and possible giving Jerry Rice a run for his money on the best WR to ever play the game... maybe even best player. He has all the tools...

Amazing how the mouth screws it all up.

Crushzilla
07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Amazing how the mouth screws it all up.

Ya. But he will make NFL History when he snags 3 TDs in one game with his chomper...

That would be amazing...

Preacher
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Ya. But he will make NFL History when he snags 3 TDs in one game with his chomper...

That would be amazing...

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Now that was funny!!

AlleghenyArsenal
07-19-2007, 09:56 PM
:cheers::toofunny:I just dont know about Washington.The drop in the bungles game sucked.Of course,so did Colclough's.

stlrtruck
07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
I like Washington. He's got potential but he needs someone to bring him along. Me, I'd give him one more year - and if he's stinking up the joint, send him to Cinci or Cleveland.

Dynasty
07-20-2007, 12:09 AM
With Washington, I'm not a huge fan, but there is definately an adjustment period for him into the NFL game, moreso than other players. He came from a small school, and spent a lot of time on the practice squad. Last year was basically his rookie year, and he made a lot of rookie mistakes. Sure, if some of the mistakes hadn't happened, we'd have been a playoff team, but shit happens, and you have to deal with the result. Plus, he has had enough bright moments that he would definately be worth keeping on the roster. He is also tall, which gives him an advantage over many corners. Just my take.

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 12:28 AM
nate washington is on the same career path rod smith of the broncos was on. nate has easilly matched his numbers at the same points of their careers as UDFA's.

theres a hell of alot of steelerfans who wouldve called for rod smith to be cut too.

im not so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-20-2007, 12:35 AM
nate washington is on the same career path rod smith of the broncos was on. nate has easilly matched his numbers at the same points of their careers as UDFA's.

theres a hell of alot of steelerfans who wouldve called for rod smith to be cut too.

im not so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I agree with you on Nate Washington.....My only complaint with Nate is he needs to tough up alittle....But he is still young and learning so I'm far from giving up on the kid.....If Nate goes on to have half the career that Rod Smith has had then I think most Steelers fans would be very happy.....

The Duke
07-20-2007, 01:02 AM
So.. question for everyone, do you think we need greg warren at Long snapper, that's a roster spot than could be taken by some lineman or a tight end, we released retfosky and that leaves us with one LS, Tomlin said no job is secure and personally if he really does well in camp and pre season I would love to see him on the team.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 03:38 AM
I agree with you on Nate Washington.....My only complaint with Nate is he needs to tough up alittle....But he is still young and learning so I'm far from giving up on the kid.....If Nate goes on to have half the career that Rod Smith has had then I think most Steelers fans would be very happy.....

I am not ready to cut him yet... but I think that either he or Cedric have to go at the end of this year. Then if Washington doesn't make a SOLID third round next year, beating out Read, I will be quite open to him leaving, as we are going to need to find a replacement for Ward.

But I am willing to watch for improvement right now.

Galax Steeler
07-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I agree washington is a little soft but if he gets cut i think we will be ok at wide reciever.