PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Power Ranking 16th for the Burgh

SteelDogFan
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I know we finished 8-8 last year, but most realize that in the beginning of the season Big Ben's head and body was all out of sorts (to put it litely) and the team had to deal with knowing it was Cowers last year.

What I think is they don't see or failed to add into their ranking system is that the Steelers won 6 of there last 8 games and knocked a team out of the playoffs last year that they have ranked six spots ahead of the Steelers this year. As a matter of fact 3 of the steelers wins in their final 8 games were against playoff teams which this year they have ranked over the Steelers.

Maybe they based only on the 8-8 season or maybe they based it only on what other teams had done in the off season. But 16th just seams to way to low for a team with as much talent as the Steelers.

rog
07-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I hate power rankings almost as much as I hate the preseason picks for the super bowl by the so called experts. They are wrong most of the time. I don't put much stock in any of this. In my opinion it is only a good conversation starter.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Just another preseason poll that has us ranked low not too surprising to me.

SalukiSteelers
07-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Where's the link?

They can rank 'em wherever they want. I think the lower the team is ranked the better it'll be for them. I like it when the Steelers play angry football. They tend to destroy people.

I'd imagine that the unsettled offensive line and the question at Peezy's old spot were part of the reason they weren't ranked higher. I looked for the rankings (not very diligently) and couldn't find them.

The thing I couldn't understand was the running back rankings. Sure, Najeh and Barlow are nothing special, but Willie Parker can be. I'd just like to see a more consistent season out of him. His end-of-year numbers were there but there were a few games when he couldn't seem to get it going.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Where's the link?

They can rank 'em wherever they want. I think the lower the team is ranked the better it'll be for them. I like it when the Steelers play angry football. They tend to destroy people.

I'd imagine that the unsettled offensive line and the question at Peezy's old spot were part of the reason they weren't ranked higher. I looked for the rankings (not very diligently) and couldn't find them.

The thing I couldn't understand was the running back rankings. Sure, Najeh and Barlow are nothing special, but Willie Parker can be. I'd just like to see a more consistent season out of him. His end-of-year numbers were there but there were a few games when he couldn't seem to get it going.

You know... I seriously think that was a Oline problem... same with Ben. A better O-line will do wonders for both these guys.

19ward86
07-20-2007, 04:43 PM
i love the rating, under the radar, perfect for a superbowl caliber season!

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Don't worry guys. We'll just be able to rub in to them later saying were we really that bad?

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 09:07 PM
"Oh No! We suck again!!!"

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/Waterboy_2.jpg

steelpride12
07-20-2007, 09:09 PM
HA just means once again were under the radar and we all just love that so good rank us last for all i care we will prove u wrong!

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
It's always good when we are rated low. Hopefully Tomlin knows the team reacts well to low expectations, and uses it to motivate them through the ONE HOUR TWO-A-DAYS. I hope they are rough. I wish I had one hour two-a-days in high school.

Davison_K
07-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I think that the changes will be too much for us, but I think that Pittsburgh will be in the playoffs again.

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I think that the changes will be too much for us. yeah, the changes totally killed the saints and jets last year.

Livinginthe past
07-21-2007, 12:58 PM
How about we start fining people for using the term 'under the radar'?

Its already a hackneyed, Steelersfever clich? - and after an 8-8 season its gone into over drive.

You guys love a power ranking when it puts something Steelers related near the top, but suddenly they all suck when they aren't.

ExtonSteelFan
07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I think most people get upset over the fact that we're usually in the middle of the pack when it comes to rankings. I for one don't argue that point too much considering we finished middle of the pack as far as wins and losses are concerned, but I think the general consensus is that this team is in fact better than what most power rankings would indicate. I believe if the steelers were put in the top 10 that many of the people here would be okay with that. I think it's ridiculous that foxsports put the seahawks at #6. That team wouldn't have won more than 7 games last year had they played in the AFC. Granted Sean Alexander was hurt most of the season as well as hasselbeck, but so was big ben and key parts of our defense as well. With that said, what makes Seattle deserving of a #6 spot?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-21-2007, 02:04 PM

Its already a hackneyed, Steelersfever clich? - and after an 8-8 season its gone into over drive.

You guys love a power ranking when it puts something Steelers related near the top, but suddenly they all suck when they aren't.

Isnt that the way its supposed to work???:wink02:

SteelDogFan
07-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Sorry there was no link guys that was my first post I wasn't permitted to add a link..

The Duke
07-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Hopefully all those rankings will change soon....

Preacher
07-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Um... LITP... With respect...

Your on a Steeler site... What else do you expect? If this ENTIRE site of STEELER fans want to use 'under the radar' so be it.

steelpride12
07-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Your on a Steeler site... What else do you expect? If this ENTIRE site of STEELER fans want to use 'under the radar' so be it.

Ya i agree i mean you cant argue with 3000 other people on hear i mean we like to say "under the radar" so just have to get used to it......... and please no offense! i could never diss my fellow steeler fans i love u guys...sniff sniff all to death....sniff! :hug::crying01::crying01:

Livinginthe past
07-21-2007, 11:30 PM

Wow. Im on a Steeler site?

How does being a Steeler fan become absolutely synonymous with repetetive hackneyed phrases that Madden would shy away from?

Anyway, just an observation.

So be it.

Preacher
07-21-2007, 11:44 PM
LITP...

Like I said... No disrespect intended....

Just not sure why you choose to point something like that out... as if your above such things...

Probably more of that english tongue in cheek sense of humor!

fansince'76
07-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Painting with a pretty broad brush there. No, actually I find power rankings to be quite irrelevant. It's one of the reasons I steer clear of college ball where the national champion is essentially defined by power rankings.

charlie martel
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I know we finished 8-8 last year, but most realize that in the beginning of the season Big Ben's head and body was all out of sorts (to put it litely) and the team had to deal with knowing it was Cowers last year.

Good point - at the beginning the defense became demoralised with the situations the offense was putting them in. What really worries me is how Baltimore dominated us in both games though.

xbroughneck
07-22-2007, 01:16 PM
New coach .....check
young secondary......check
no Joey Porter.........check
new center.....check
new starting outside linebacker...check
Being pwned by the Ratbirds in both games last season.....check
Big Ben coming off a season where he threw a crap load of INTs....check

I think a middle of the pack rating before the season starts is highly warranted.

What really matters though, is the Steelers ranking after week 17.:wink02:

The Duke
07-22-2007, 05:11 PM
What really matters though, is the Steelers ranking after week 17.:wink02:

16-0 :thumbsup:

SteelDogFan
07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
OK, When I look at the ranking and some of the comments made I can agree some posters and some the things that have been said: the fact that we were 8-8, no Porter, a new center and also a new coach are good points. But my problem may not be where we are but who the have the craziness to put in front of us.

I'm sorry but the steelers are not half way down the line if you line up all 32 teams, thats just crazy. If they rated it the same way college football and basketball polls are set up no-one would put the Steelers at 16. These power rankings are based on "STUFF and more "STUFF" ( items I mentioned in the above paragraph). If they just looked at it as team vs team on the field the Steelers would be a lot higher, buts thats not how they do it.

There has been so many changes to our Steelers that I truly don't know what this year will bring. But if I look at just talent my thoughts are we will have a good year.

Preacher
07-22-2007, 11:59 PM
OK, When I look at the ranking and some of the comments made I can agree some posters and some the things that have been said: the fact that we were 8-8, no Porter, a new center and also a new coach are good points. But my problem may not be where we are but who the have the craziness to put in front of us.

I'm sorry but the steelers are not half way down the line if you line up all 32 teams, thats just crazy. If they rated it the same way college football and basketball polls are set up no-one would put the Steelers at 16. These power rankings are based on "STUFF and more "STUFF" ( items I mentioned in the above paragraph). If they just looked at it as team vs team on the field the Steelers would be a lot higher, buts thats not how they do it.

There has been so many changes to our Steelers that I truly don't know what this year will bring. But if I look at just talent my thoughts are we will have a good year.

Yep... we have the talent. What we need is the drive and scheme.

Seems that we missed that last year as well.

The SB year, I think we had both the drive and the talent... but not much scheme.

Galax Steeler
07-23-2007, 04:11 AM
I agree preacher we should have alot more scheme this year and alot better team.