PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Spaeth

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Steelers sign third-round pick Matt Spaeth
Friday, July 20, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today signed third-round draft choice Matt Spaeth, a 6-7 tight end from Minnesota.

That leaves the team with just two rookie draft choices who have not yet come to terms -- first rounder Lawrence Timmons, a linebacker, and cornerback William Gay, a fifth-round choice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07201/803182-66.stm

oldschool
07-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Great!, Hopefully we will have the entire arsenal by the start of camp.

fansince'76
07-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Great!, Hopefully we will have the entire arsenal by the start of camp.

Not to mention a nice long-term deal for Troy. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
That leaves us Timmons to sign now.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Great news now finalize Troy and Timmons

oldschool
07-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I hope the Troy deal is a given, based of time constraints they need to concentrate on the rookies deals this week and then move on to Troy.

The Duke
07-20-2007, 12:22 PM
After a slow week last week, this week is going fast nfl wise. Football season is coming!!!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Do we have any financial terms of either Spaeth or Woodley's contracts?

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Do we have any financial terms of either Spaeth or Woodley's contracts?

I have not seen the financial terms released on either player. The Steelers tend to keep it that way.

steelersfanman92
07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
lets just get them all signed and focus on the upcoming season

Jman
07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
This is great news. This guy's a monster (towering 6-7). Thanks for the info.

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Just Timmons and Gay. I wonder what is taking Gay so long? Probably the squabble over jersey revenues...

atrus20
07-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Nice! A few more contracts left to go and we are set for some football. I can't wait!

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 02:44 PM
so will spaeth have his own little fan club called "the spaeth invaderths"?

I wonder what is taking Gay so long? Probably the squabble over jersey revenues...:sofunny:

OneForTheToe
07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Just Timmons and Gay. I wonder what is taking Gay so long? Probably the squabble over jersey revenues...

Gay must be one of those guys who forgoes the agent and gets one of his relatives to represent him. Maybe his uncle appeared before Judge Wapner, on the People's Court, back in the eighties? Or, maybe he has seen every skit on SNL of Phil Hartman’s Caveman Lawyer?

Imagine, right now his uncle is sitting across the desk from Art II, in bad makeup, going; " ..... now Mr. Rooney I don't know much about salary caps, signing bonuses or any of your other fancy negotiating terms -[puts hands in air] - I'm just a simple caveman negotiator, but one thing I do know is that me nephew is entitled to .............."

Gay will walk out of there with a 40 million dollar signing bonus.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Gay must be one of those guys who forgoes the agent and gets one of his relatives to represent him. Maybe his uncle appeared before Judge Wapner, on the People's Court, back in the eighties? Or, maybe he has seen every skit on SNL of Phil Hartman?s Caveman Lawyer?

Imagine, right now his uncle is sitting across the desk from Art II, in bad makeup, going; " ..... now Mr. Rooney I don't know much about salary caps, signing bonuses or any of your other fancy negotiating terms -[puts hands in air] - I'm just a simple caveman negotiator, but one thing I do know is that me nephew is entitled to .............."

Gay will walk out of there with a 40 million dollar signing bonus.

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: About that time... Fanaca would turn all colors, and just fall over dead.

19ward86
07-20-2007, 05:45 PM
minnesota is a runnning football team, he was a great run blocker there so i have high expectations for him in the burgh.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 06:09 PM
minnesota is a runnning football team, he was a great run blocker there so i have high expectations for him in the burgh.

I sure hope so!! It would be nice to see him throw some big blocks on draws... 5, 10 yards down the field.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Yeah I can see him taking Tumans number two tightend spot sometime this season.

stlrtruck
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
How the heck is a 5th rounder still unsigned? What is that guy looking for - a one way ticket out of training camp?

steelpride12
07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Awesome now lets get Troy, Timmonds and Mabey even Gay could do something for us u never kno!?

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah I can see him taking Tumans number two tightend spot sometime this season.

If that happens expect Tuman to get cut. He's not worth $1.5mil to sit on the bench or only see action in the 3 TE set. Cody Boyd will get the nod for cheaper. I don't see it happening. I have not read one good thing about Spaeth yet, except about his size. (Can we say Matt Kranchick) He is like Max Starks. His only talent is his size. I hope he turns out in camp.

Galax Steeler
07-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Great news now we have 2 to go.

Elvis
07-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Yeah.. its always good to see us get our players signed by the time things really get cooking... They just need to get Timmons signed and in camp on time... it is a must if he is gonna contribute this season. Besides, if he holds out then that means Woodley is gonna get that many more reps and that could mean alot less playing time for him.
:coffee::helmet:

Preacher
07-21-2007, 08:09 PM
How the heck is a 5th rounder still unsigned? What is that guy looking for - a one way ticket out of training camp?

I don't worry about it... Because what it could have been (He IS signed now), is that his agent and the Steelers didn't have the same schedules that they could talk or meet, until now.

That is why I don't really worry about signings... cause there is so much going on. I am not even worried about Timmons. I bet it is also just a timing issue.