PDA

View Full Version : New Team Co-Captains

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
we all know faneca said he cant be a team captain any more because he is pouting and i agree with atlanta dan that that is almost a slap in the face of all his teammates. after all, they were the ones as brothers friends and peers, who voted and elected him to that position.

fine. now, unlike in years past, tomlin says he will appoint (not annoint) the team captains for this season, and the leaders will emerge during camp.

im 99% certain he is going to appoint ben as the offensive captain. in fact, i think hes already told ben youre my qb and this is youre team. its only natural that the franchise qb is the team leader.

but who on defense? would a team vote differ from who tomlin would appoint? im thinking aaron smith or james farrior will be the defensive captain.

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Casey Hampton. Hampton already went on record stating that he has been a vocal voice in the past but he was overshadowed by Joey Porter. The guy leads by example and also seems to have the attitude/personality to lead off the field.

Big Snack has my vote.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I think Ben will be named offensive captain as well......As long as Ben shows he is ready to be a team captain....On defense I think Aaron Smith,Casey Hampton and James Farrior all would make fine defensive captains....But I'm going to pick Troy......

Jman
07-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Casey Hampton.

Casey Hampton definitely deserves an honorable mention.

The guy leads by example and also seems to have the attitude/personality to lead off the field.

:thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Older article pertaining to Casey Hampton in a leadership role......

Steelers' Hampton relishes leadership role

"I have been a leader. I have been a vocal guy in the locker room. People didn't know it because Joey was our vocal leader. That was who you always saw out front talking," Hampton said. "Now that he's gone, I'll probably step up and talk more. I know the guys look at me as a leader."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/health/s_510833.html

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
predicting who tomlin will pick on defense is pretty tough cause there are so many good deserving players of the honor, whereas in the past its pretty easy to see why the team would elect porter and jerome. i think if it came down to a team vote hampton would be the easy choice, after all they voted him team mvp a few years back, and hes definitely a man men want to follow.

watch tomlin pick a darkhorse like james harrison.

fansince'76
07-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Big Snack! :jammin:

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Aaron Smith on D.

jtdapit
07-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Honestly i think its going to be Hampton, the guy is a dominating force. aaron smith is good but not captain type, and lets face it, troy speaks in his play, cause when he really speaks its like listening to mike tyson. (no offense troy, its still cool) James farrior is another good candidate. its between casey and james.

stillers4ever
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Well i was watching the celebrity golf tournament in tahoe and the interviewed jerome bettis. He said that the team will lose a valuable leader on the team but also beleives that hampton will step up and be the leader. Im gonna go with jerome in this one, and id put any amount of money on it being casey.

The Duke
07-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Casey

jtdapit
07-20-2007, 12:29 PM
[ Im gonna go with jerome in this one, and id put any amount of money on it being casey. Totally man, totally

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2007, 12:41 PM
"I think I can play a lot better than I did last year," said Hampton, whose 33 tackles in 2006 tied his rookie numbers and was his second-lowest total in six NFL seasons. Hampton recorded 17 tackles in 2004 when he played in only six games because of a knee injury.

"I think I played good," Hampton said, "but I feel like I can play a lot better."

Another quote that caught my eye. Even for a guy coming off a Pro-Bowl year he still felt he wasn't on top of his game. More importantly in my opinion, he did not make any excuses or passed the blame for his own failures and short comings on to others.

Signs of a true leader in my opinion.

Atlanta Dan
07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
It is my impression that Casey has the respect of the entire team but is one of many leaders on defense. Casey or Farrior get the nod from me.

As for the offense, the fact that Ben apparently gets the slot by default is somewhat troubling.
The O-line is a shambles and IMO Hines (whom I think would want the title) is in his last year while having indirectly sniped at Tomlin since the hire.

The only other possible candidate is Willie Parker and he got smacked down last November when he said some teammates had been coasting since SB XL.

Of course for someone who is following the defcon level 4 coverage of Vick here in Atlanta the Steelers potential turmoil is a day at the beach by comparison.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Another quote that caught my eye. Even for a guy coming off a Pro-Bowl year he still felt he wasn't on top of his game. More importantly in my opinion, he did not make any excuses or passed the blame for his own failures and short comings on to others.

Signs of a true leader in my opinion.

They all are talking a good game right now... saying the right things. I just hope it translates.... Just hope it translates.

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
They all are talking a good game right now... saying the right things. I just hope it translates.... Just hope it translates.

Personally, I have no worries when it comes to Hampton. The guy seems to bring his "A" game sixteen times a season with the Pro-Bowls and MVP honors to back it up. Hampton is the last one I'm worried about when it comes to talking a good game and then not being able to back it up on the field.

Just my opinion/impression of the guy.

HometownGal
07-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm going with either Ben or Hines on O and Farrior on D. If I was Ben, I'd be soooo tempted to move over a step or two and kick Faneca in the hiney every time I lined up behind center. :buttkick:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Im gonna say Ward on O, Casy or Farrior on D, and Chidi Iwuoma on ST

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
As for the offense, the fact that Ben apparently gets the slot by default is somewhat troubling.

Of course for someone who is following the defcon level 4 coverage of Vick here in Atlanta the Steelers potential turmoil is a day at the beach by comparison.

i dont think thats a bad thing. for 3 years ben has tip toed around like the teams little brother. how long should that go on? 4,5,6 years? to me i kinda see why he was a little immature. he seems like a guy who the more responsibilities he is given the more responsibly he will act.

when brady, manning, palmer, mcnabb, were going into their 4th year, there was no doubt who the leader was on their teams. i dont know if that means they were the team captains, but by tomlin giving him that title, it should serve notice to the rest of the team that its time for ben to put the big boy pants on and be a qb in every sense of the word.

with hampton, i dont see alot of teammates who would wanna step on his toes just like alot of the young offensive guys didnt wanna step on fanecas, wards, or jeromes toes. while its not an open vote it makes sense that tomlin will see how the guys gravitate to, and rally around, hampton (they all know he is the glue) and go with "the peoples choice". like the quotes 83-43 showed, hampton has relished that roll like he does a hot dog for quite a while. this could be a very easy decision for tomlin to make also. like he said, these issues will pretty much answer themselves in camp.

regarless who it is, its nice that the season is so near and the topics to discuss are so much more relevant. props to vick for helping the last week of christmas like anticipation of the football season go that much quicker!

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Personally, I have no worries when it comes to Hampton. The guy seems to bring his "A" game sixteen times a season with the Pro-Bowls and MVP honors to back it up. Hampton is the last one I'm worried about when it comes to talking a good game and then not being able to back it up on the field.

Just my opinion/impression of the guy.totally agree. i know many dont like the smacktalk, but i hope hamptons out there telling the opponent hes gonna whoop their ass on every play. i still laugh at the thought of him out there during pregame, with his shirt rolled up above his belly barking at the opponents.

as for backing up his talk, hes money in the bank. in fact, if he didnt have the name "big snack", i'd suggest "big bank". like a big ol piggy bank. hmmmm. "ham"pton piggy banks. that gives me an idea!

fansince'76
07-20-2007, 01:41 PM
i still laugh at the thought of him out there during pregame, with his shirt rolled up above his belly barking at the opponents.

Same here. :chuckle:

http://www.classicmedia.tv/harvey/characters/logos/huey.gif

Atlanta Dan
07-20-2007, 01:47 PM
i dont think thats a bad thing. for 3 years ben has tip toed around like the teams little brother. how long should that go on? 4,5,6 years? to me i kinda see why he was a little immature. he seems like a guy who the more responsibilities he is given the more responsibly he will act. !

My point was not a diss at Ben but an observation that the offense is somewhat adrift.

Because the QB is the most important and high profile player on virtually any team he is by default a team leader.
However, my recollection has been that it usually is another player who is the captain and the equivalent of the NCO who oversees the troops for the officers (e.g. - I do not believe Bradshaw was ever captain of the Steelers). With Faneca taking a business dispute very personally, the torch could have been handed off to Ward. However, Ward was the mouthpiece for discontent with offseaon moves so that is out (and by choosing captains Tomlin may want to make certain it is out).

It appears somehat unusual for the new coach to come in and tell the players who their captains are going to be, but for whatever reason I have the impression somebody (AJR II?/Bettis?) told Tomlin he needs to seize power and snuff out potential rival power centers (sort of like in a coup when the opponents are rounded up and the TV/radio stations are seized).

I agree with Ron Cook this team needs a good shaking, but if the Steelers get off to a slow start "sources close to the team" (aka Ward) are going to blow off to the media like that steam pipe that blew in Manhattan the other day.

memphissteelergirl
07-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Same here. :chuckle:

http://www.classicmedia.tv/harvey/characters/logos/huey.gif

OK...now that's just wrong! :toofunny:
But point taken! :wink02:

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
My point was not a diss at Ben but an observation that the offense is somewhat adrift.

yeah, i know you werent taking a shot at ben. one of our linemen certainly isnt gonna be the new captain, nor is holmes, wilson, or washington. i think in a year or 2 heath miller would be a fine choise although he seems a bit reserved.

you know who i think would be perfect is verron haynes, however he's not on the field enough and were not even sure if he will make the team. hes got the personality for it. but then again he may be too much of from the "old guard".

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 02:07 PM
OK...now that's just wrong! :toofunny:
But point taken! :wink02:lol. hampton likes to show off his belly. they dont call him "mr. belvedere" for nuthin:

who ride? we ride! lets ride on 3!

http://drunkathletes.synergyofsports.com/2007/03/25/casey-hampton-loves-to-show-of-his-belly.aspx

Livinginthe past
07-20-2007, 02:16 PM
This years defensive captain will be Troy - he's the natural figurehead of the defense and tends to set the trend for their play.

If Troy's hot - the D's hot...and vice versa.

On offense, I think Hines will be given the role of captain - he's a guy who isn't afraid to speak his mind (understatement) who will call out his teammates if they let their level of play drop.

If im buying into the prevalent theory of Tomlin being Sun Tzu in black and gold, then I would imagine that he sees Ward as someone he can win over - which in turn could cement Hines' place with the team (at a reasonable rate) for the rest of his career.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Well Tony at least your pick of Casey is not as bad as the Jeff Reed ones.:sofunny:

Preacher
07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
This years defensive captain will be Troy - he's the natural figurehead of the defense and tends to set the trend for their play.

If Troy's hot - the D's hot...and vice versa.

On offense, I think Hines will be given the role of captain - he's a guy who isn't afraid to speak his mind (understatement) who will call out his teammates if they let their level of play drop.

If im buying into the prevalent theory of Tomlin being Sun Tzu in black and gold, then I would imagine that he sees Ward as someone he can win over - which in turn could cement Hines' place with the team (at a reasonable rate) for the rest of his career.

I completely disagree with you about Troy... for the reasons stated earlier on this thread. Troy leads ONLY by example. He isn't an emotional leader, vocal, etc. I think that will fall to one of our LB's or Casey. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Troy be made a co-captain on defense if they went with more then one... Just not the main guy!

On offense... I think it will absolutely be a 2 man race, between Ben and Hines, and I think they would have no problem with either one of them having it.

19ward86
07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
big sign for troy means leader, smaller contract means hampton.

-5yr 30mil(minimum) means troy for captain

-4yr 16mil means casey.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 05:07 PM
big sign for troy means leader, smaller contract means hampton.

-5yr 30mil(minimum) means troy for captain

-4yr 16mil means casey.

No way the money should mean that. Leadership characteristics are not the same as playing ability. Troy has unbeleivable playing ability... he is also great with people it seems... I just don't see him as the emotional leader... A captain that is able to come up to someone like Foote and tell him to shut up and play football. I see Ward doing it on the Offense, I see Ben starting to be able to do it... I Casey able to do it on the Defense, I DON'T see Troy doing that, nor am I sure I want him to. I would rather him focus on being the on-field spark-plug.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-20-2007, 07:17 PM
No way the money should mean that. Leadership characteristics are not the same as playing ability. Troy has unbeleivable playing ability... he is also great with people it seems... I just don't see him as the emotional leader... A captain that is able to come up to someone like Foote and tell him to shut up and play football. I see Ward doing it on the Offense, I see Ben starting to be able to do it... I Casey able to do it on the Defense, I DON'T see Troy doing that, nor am I sure I want him to. I would rather him focus on being the on-field spark-plug.

Yeah the amount of money you make does not determine if your elligable for captains status.

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah the amount of money you make does not determine if your elligable for captains status.

for what its worth, 19ward86's money figures were way off anyways and troys contract hasnt even been signed

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751393-66.stm

(hampton = 6 mil towards the 07 cap. in 2 years his once lucrative extension is gonna be bargain basement rates)

steelersfanmx
07-20-2007, 07:44 PM
IMO, Ben is a natural leader, for what I see in the Highlights games in DVD,
Ben is always able to stay in touch with the offensive line... I remember he congratulates
everyone when they finish a good play... and the whole team looks different when he plays,
I think their teammates are confortable with him. Casey will be the vocal leader on D, Im sure...:helmet:

PalmerSteel
07-20-2007, 09:10 PM
on offense, ben because he is a natural leader and more importantly the QB. also ward. everyone listens to ward. may be a few that still question ben so ward HAS to be a leader.
on D- it HAS to be a linebacker. this is pittsburgh. i will go with farrior. veteran and well respected. other has to be troy. you dont have to be loud and outspoken to be a leader. troy will demand leadership with his action on the field. plus he is our QB on D. i think when he does speak up on issues/problems, teamamtes will listen because they know he doesnt run at the mouth on just anything, IMO.

steelpride12
07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
i wish Haggans but prob. gunna be Farrior would be my guess he is just overall a D-fensive god and knos the steelers D well!

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Defense: Casey Hampton (I'd like to see Tony Smith here in a couple of years)
Offense: Ben
ST: Chidi Iwuoma

Big7BenHOF
07-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Casey Hampton. Hampton already went on record stating that he has been a vocal voice in the past but he was overshadowed by Joey Porter. The guy leads by example and also seems to have the attitude/personality to lead off the field.

Big Snack has my vote.

:thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
07-21-2007, 04:26 AM
I would have to say troy or hampton.

Elvis
07-21-2007, 04:57 AM
:coffee: The way that I feel about this situation is that Tomlin should Not be the one to chose the captains. The players should be the ones to chose in my opinion.
:helmet:

83-Steelers-43
07-21-2007, 09:03 AM
IMO, I love the fact that Tomlin is coming in and picking who he feels should be the captains. At times, players tend to make picking captains a popularity contest instead of who actually deserves the honor and responsibility of being a captain.

More importantly......

It is extremely important for Tomlin and for the good of the team that he establishes himself in all aspects. Whether that means he has to fine a player for excessive celebration or picking the captains on his football team. IMO, this team needs all the discipline they can get after last season. They looked soft and undisciplined. Tomlin needs to change that by any and all means necessary.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-21-2007, 12:00 PM
IMO, I love the fact that Tomlin is coming in and picking who he feels should be the captains. At times, players tend to make picking captains a popularity contest instead of who actually deserves the honor and responsibility of being a captain.

More importantly......

It is extremely important for Tomlin and for the good of the team that he establishes himself in all aspects. Whether that means he has to fine a player for excessive celebration or picking the captains on his football team. IMO, this team needs all the discipline they can get after last season. They looked soft and undisciplined. Tomlin needs to change that by any and all means necessary.

I completley agree.

Tomlin needs to come in and show that he's the man in power,not the players.He makes the decisions not the players.

The role of captain is more than being a face of the franchise...it's about being able to lead and tell guys when they are dogging it.Sometimes players will pick a guy that doesn't like conflict so they don't have to worry about that as much.

Maybe in the future,a few years from now after Tomlin is more well-known and cemented in Pittsburgh,he'll let the players chose.Right now there may be too much resentment towards him from all of Cowher's guys,so letting them pick the captains could end up backfiring on Tomlin.

Here are my choices:

Offense- Three horse race between Ben,Parker,and Ward.

Ben is the offensive leader by default because he's the QB.Tomlin has put more responsibility on Ben by letting him call more audibles and calling the o-line blocking schemes,something done by (I think Faneca) when Cowher was here.I think Tomlin wants Ben to be the captain,and I think it will end up being Ben.

Parker is in the race because we know he isn't afraid to call out opponents.He did it last year when he told the media that some guys were coasting after the Super Bowl.He was also the only real offensive guy that did well last year,and his stats back that up.Faneca may have made the Pro Bowl too,but he made it more on his name then his play last year.

Hines Ward is the veteren leader on the offense.He's been around the longest.This is why I have him in here.If Tomlin wins him over,being named offensive captain or co-captain could very possibly be his reward.

Defense- Casey Hampton.He is the anchor of the entire defense.He is this team's,and I hate comparing anyone to His Greatness,but he is this defense's Mean Joe Greene.The defense (and team) gravitates to him.I don't think he'd be afraid of telling Foote (or anyone else on defense) to shut thier yaps and let thier play do the talking if a guy is talking and not producing.He also leads by example,he's always playing hard.

I don't see Troy getting this because I think this would make him uncomfortable.He's not a big talker,he leads by example.When guys see him doing everything he can to make a play,they tend to do the same.But I don't think I have ever seen Troy tell another player what to do on the field of play,because Troy doesn't feel that it's his place to do that.

Elvis
07-21-2007, 04:22 PM
:coffee: I guess if I have to chose one from each side of the ball it would look like this..
Offense: It has to be Big Ben.
He is our franchise QB and that means he should be the man in the middle calling out names and getting people in position to make plays. He is a very important player to our team and he needs to step up and be a leader.
Defense: I think that is should be LB James Farrior. He is the utmost veteran on this defense and he is a great player that should have the respect of his teammates by this stage in his career.
:tt02:

Preacher
07-21-2007, 07:30 PM
I really love the fact Tomlin is picking.

Pick who he needs to be the captains... to push HIS style of football.

steelpride12
07-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Ya that always could be a plus, and i know he will pick the right people!

klick81
07-23-2007, 01:37 AM

Big Snack has my vote.

I agree. I think it's the big guy's turn.

Buzz05
07-23-2007, 07:26 AM
:coffee: I guess if I have to chose one from each side of the ball it would look like this..
Offense: It has to be Big Ben.
He is our franchise QB and that means he should be the man in the middle calling out names and getting people in position to make plays. He is a very important player to our team and he needs to step up and be a leader.
Defense: I think that is should be LB James Farrior. He is the utmost veteran on this defense and he is a great player that should have the respect of his teammates by this stage in his career.
:tt02:

I agree. I think Ben is going to the Offensive captain. He is the man in charge. Besides. If he has even more responsibilty then I think Ben will only get better.

On defense Farrior could be a really could choice. He is the vet, the leader of the linebackers and the life line of the young rookies. I would like to see Farrior do it. But if not Big Snack would be a great choice as well.

Either way they need someone who isnt going to be afraid to call out teammates and get in their face when they are under performing.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 07:38 AM
As Peter King observes in his picks of top training camp issues, this season is all about Tomlin telling the vets who the boss is - picking the cpatains is just one part of solving that puzzle.

2. I think these are the stories that most interest me as camps kick off this week: ...

h. Mike Tomlin's toughness in Pittsburgh. The veterans might be slow to adapt to his style, but they'd better not be too slow or he'll run them out of town.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/07/22/vick/3.html

Jman
07-23-2007, 08:51 AM

This reflects a true value of a leader developing leaders. It shows the man is not just a coach, but a captain. I hope to see new life in Steeler football from this new way of doing things.

Avoid LLoyd1975
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
My picks are Hampton, Ward and Troy.

SteelerWatch
07-24-2007, 07:25 AM
If you want to see what Ben is capable of as a leader, think back to his rookie season versus the cowboys, when he nearly single-handedly led the team from a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter. For that one quarter, Cowher handed Ben the keys and let him drive -- and drive, he did. Twice! He completed his last 11 passes in that game, and did exactly what he needed to do to win.

He just needs to regain that confidence.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-24-2007, 10:49 AM
If you want to see what Ben is capable of as a leader, think back to his rookie season versus the cowboys, when he nearly single-handedly led the team from a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter. For that one quarter, Cowher handed Ben the keys and let him drive -- and drive, he did. Twice! He completed his last 11 passes in that game, and did exactly what he needed to do to win.

He just needs to regain that confidence.

That game was Ben's coming out.Every person (mostly Browns fans) that tell me that Ben is just a game manager,he doesn't win games himself,he isn't a leader...I point to that game and shut them out.

He will regain that confidence and it will show in him having a career year...and his second Super Bowl Championship.

Preacher
07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
That game was Ben's coming out.Every person (mostly Browns fans) that tell me that Ben is just a game manager,he doesn't win games himself,he isn't a leader...I point to that game and shut them out.

He will regain that confidence and it will show in him having a career year...and his second Super Bowl Championship.

Do I ever remember that game.

This being Ben's 4th year, this is when QB's usually show what they are going to be in the future. I think we can expect great things this year!

Dynasty
07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I think Ben would be a good pick for offensive captain, but I'd love to see Willie Parker as the Captain. He's shown that he isnt afreaid to call the other players out, and he also seems to be buying into Tomlin's philosophies.

Defensive captain should be Hampton