PDA

View Full Version : Troy a steeler for life?

jtdapit
07-20-2007, 01:41 PM
k. Troy is likely to resign with the steelers. but does anyone think he will retire a steeler?

The Duke
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I hope so, we have him safe for some years, let's hope he doesn't become the next Faneca, and I don't think he will.

Jman
07-20-2007, 01:59 PM
:computer: I would say its a possibility!

fansince'76
07-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I think so, only because we will have Troy locked up throughout the "prime" of his career.

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
This next contract will give the Steelers an out, it will end right when he turns 29-30, and the Rooneys will have a decision to make. My guess is they will do what they always do, as much as I don't want them to.

HometownGal
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Troy doesn't impress me as the type of person who puts the almighty green ahead of his work ethic, and his desire to play and win with a respectable franchise such as the Steelers, so I'd say chances are pretty good that Troy will retire a Steeler and go into the HOF as a Steeler! :tt02:

SalukiSteelers
07-20-2007, 03:19 PM
He'll be gonzo after his new deal is up.

Jman
07-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Troy doesn't impress me as the type of person who puts the almighty green ahead of his work ethic, and his desire to play and win with a respectable franchise such as the Steelers, so I'd say chances are pretty good that Troy will retire a Steeler and go into the HOF as a Steeler! :tt02:

I would agree on the assessment. :coffee: I do believe the chances are good he'll stay with the team.

yinzer-inseattle
07-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I would agree on the assessment. :coffee: I do believe the chances are good he'll stay with the team.

Keep hope alive!

I hope you are right.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
This next contract will give the Steelers an out, it will end right when he turns 29-30, and the Rooneys will have a decision to make. My guess is they will do what they always do, as much as I don't want them to.

The difference is, Safety's can play to an older age then many other positions. As they get older, wisdom and Wiley-ness fill in where the top speed leaves off, and a very good safety still ends up where he needs to be. That is why some top CB's are able to extend thier career at Safety, like Woodson did.

19ward86
07-20-2007, 05:49 PM
he is married, which can wind up making his career a fairly short career(9-11yrs). so i think he will stay, but if he is like rod woodson he will be with many different teams.

Preacher
07-20-2007, 05:58 PM
he is married, which can wind up making his career a fairly short career(9-11yrs). so i think he will stay, but if he is like rod woodson he will be with many different teams.

Not really. Rod wanted to stay a Steeler, he just didn't want to be moved to Safety, which is what happened to him a few years later anyways. We won't have that problem with Troy.

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-20-2007, 10:06 PM
The difference is, Safety's can play to an older age then many other positions. As they get older, wisdom and Wiley-ness fill in where the top speed leaves off, and a very good safety still ends up where he needs to be. That is why some top CB's are able to extend thier career at Safety, like Woodson did.

Carnell Lake, Rod Woodson, Dewayne Washington, and Brent Alexander were all finished with the Steelers at 30 or 31. The Rooneys have a deal with players over 30. Even DBs. Now, if Troy doesn't have any more injury problems, and continues to be the perfect model for an NFL player off the field, as well as continues to perform and not expect a huge paycheck when his contract comes up again when he's 30, then he will retire a Steeler. Otherwise, the Rooneys will part their ways.

steelpride12
07-20-2007, 10:10 PM
i def. think he will we will lock him up for good ha...ok well i hope so at least ha

Big7BenHOF
07-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Voted yes.

Preacher
07-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Carnell Lake, Rod Woodson, Dewayne Washington, and Brent Alexander were all finished with the Steelers at 30 or 31. The Rooneys have a deal with players over 30. Even DBs. Now, if Troy doesn't have any more injury problems, and continues to be the perfect model for an NFL player off the field, as well as continues to perform and not expect a huge paycheck when his contract comes up again when he's 30, then he will retire a Steeler. Otherwise, the Rooneys will part their ways.

Actually, the Rooney's weren't finished with Woodson. They asked him to move to safety and he said no. That is why he tried the free agent market. He was going to be resigned, but not at top CB prices... rather, I would surmise at a safety price.

SteelCityMan786
07-21-2007, 12:24 AM
I say he will.

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Actually, the Rooney's weren't finished with Woodson. They asked him to move to safety and he said no. That is why he tried the free agent market. He was going to be resigned, but not at top CB prices... rather, I would surmise at a safety price.

Right, they didn't want to pay him CB money (deduction) because he was aging and they don't do that, so he moved on.

Galax Steeler
07-21-2007, 05:38 AM
I say he will that is if he don't become a cap casualty.

Elvis
07-21-2007, 05:52 AM
:coffee: I hope that he does, but the way things are in the NFL and the salary cap I doubt it. I just hope that the Steelers get him signed to this extension over the weekend or the end of next week so that it will not be a distraction to him or the team...
:helmet:

NV STEELERS 723
07-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Def Troy is a STEELER till he retires!

ChronoCross
07-21-2007, 04:17 PM
There is so many factors in this. We will get him now but down the line we might not. Maybe his health slips, maybe someday after this contract he will want a big payday we cannot afford. But the good thing is we will have him locked up at least threw his prime years. I hope he retires as a steeler but that is only a dream we all have with a great player such as troy.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Troy cares more about winning than about that huge payday.He seems like a modest person,isn't out buying 12 high-end cars and 5 houses.

As long as the Steelers don't go the way of the Raiders,he should want to stay and contribute,as long as he still loves to play.

revefsreleets
07-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Guys like John Lynch prove that you can play Safety past your prime in the league if you put in the hours. The problem is that Troy will probably have a pretty impressive resume when the contract issue comes up again, and some team out there will want to vastly overpay for him. Considering that very, very few players pass up the cash, I'm afraid that if the above scenario works out, Troy will depart the Steelers.

But, Hell, let's enjoy him playing here while we have him!