PDA

View Full Version : NBA investigated by Feds...possible game fixing

memphissteelergirl
07-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow...just...wow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-referee072007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

fansince'76
07-20-2007, 01:50 PM
It's also important to note that the NBA has full-time officials, not a bunch of CEOs that are refs as a hobby. I wonder if any players will be implicated in point-shaving as the investigation wears on - that's MUCH more difficult to catch than refs possibly fixing games.

memphissteelergirl
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I know ...this has the potential to get really ugly really quick...and with the season only about 3-4 months away.

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
The Ref I heard from outside the lines resigned.

Jman
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Woah....Crazy times!

revefsreleets
07-20-2007, 02:53 PM
This could have really serious longterm implications for all sports.

fansince'76
07-20-2007, 02:57 PM
This could have really serious longterm implications for all sports.

Yep - I can already hear the din of Squawk fans going "See? See?" :rolleyes:

Jman
07-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Yep - I can already hear the din of Squawk fans going "See? See?" :rolleyes:

And like Hampton said, Nobody will care years down the road. All they will remember are the Steelers are world champions!

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Woah....Crazy times!

What the NBA has seemed to have.

Edman
07-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Somewhere I'm hearing Seahawk fans go..."I told you so..." I still say eff them.

Still, the NBA has an image issue enough as it is, now they have this hanging over their head. Even if this is one guy, he could be connected to any players. This is pretty serious.

revefsreleets
07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Do they take wins away? Can you actually penalize teams for what the refs did?

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Do they take wins away? Can you actually penalize teams for what the refs did?i just consulted jeff gordon on this matter and he said "no". :wink: :sofunny:

so mr. NBA ref has ties to organized crime. like they were saying on sportscenter, basketball is probably one of the easiest games to shave points off of. kinda makes stern look like an ass for repeatedly fining mark cuban for being so outspoken against the refs.

revefsreleets
07-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Speaking of, Sports Illustrated just did a nice piece of Jeff Gordon.

The Duke
07-20-2007, 08:23 PM
A referee with a gambling problem, that's just no good....

C-BusSteeler
07-20-2007, 08:51 PM
this is terrible...the worse part about it is that officials dont act alone in these circumstances. It would be impossible for one ref to fix a game without the other ones knowing. this could get verrryyy ugly. almost as ugly as the scene in detroit a few years back.

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Just another reason why I do not watch the NBA.

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Just another reason why I do not watch the NBA.

This happens in every sport unfortunately. This is now happening a league trying to fix their image.

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 11:10 PM
This happens in every sport unfortunately. This is now happening a league trying to fix their image.i doubt that. for one, i know rick hendrick would never allow this type of stuff to go on in NASCAR. :chuckle:

it would be much too difficult for a ref or ump to shave points in baseball, football or hockey (hell you gotta be able to score them in order to shave them).

basketball is a breeding ground for this type of activity.

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2007, 11:16 PM
i doubt that. for one, i know rick hendrick would never allow this type of stuff to go on in NASCAR. :chuckle:

it would be much too difficult for a ref or ump to shave points in baseball, football or hockey (hell you gotta be able to score them in order to shave them).

basketball is a breeding ground for this type of activity.

We just saw that case scenario today.

tony hipchest
07-20-2007, 11:51 PM
We just saw that case scenario today.basketball is the easiest sport to shave. for the refs, "fouls" are some of the most subjective calls, especially when shaq can take 3 steps, stop, pivot, and then hang out for a second or 4 before he decides to shoot or pass. nobody even knows what "travelling" is these days. technically if you take 3 steps and "dish" the ball, it should be called a travel. enforcement of this rule could bring todays "above the rim" NBA to its knees.

and you see players who could toss a BB into a thimble from 20 feet away in practice 80 out of 100 times go "cold" in a game.

memphissteelergirl
07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Now it seems the integrity of NBA officiating in general will be questioned according to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av5lg7qwAwwJ7.EByC.NBjG8vLYF?slug=ap-refereesimage&prov=ap&type=lgns

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 02:07 PM
The only way the NBA has any hope of salvaging any credibility whatsoever is to issue lifetime bans (emphasis on the word "lifetime" here) for EVERYONE involved like Kennesaw Mountain Landis did in MLB over the "Black Sox Scandal" back in 1920. Everything I've seen and heard of David Stern over the 20-odd years he's been NBA Commissioner suggests he won't have the stones to do it, especially if any star players are implicated.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 08:51 PM
They need to get that ref into protective custody ASAP before he gets whacked

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2007, 10:17 AM
basketball is the easiest sport to shave. for the refs, "fouls" are some of the most subjective calls, especially when shaq can take 3 steps, stop, pivot, and then hang out for a second or 4 before he decides to shoot or pass. nobody even knows what "travelling" is these days. technically if you take 3 steps and "dish" the ball, it should be called a travel. enforcement of this rule could bring todays "above the rim" NBA to its knees.

and you see players who could toss a BB into a thimble from 20 feet away in practice 80 out of 100 times go "cold" in a game.

Bingo. This guy was calling fouls on 4 point spreads with under two minutes left and conveniently the game was won by six. Now this P.O.S. is going to become a rat to save his own skin and receive a nice little slap on the wrist by the judicial system. Typical.

Also, the only other sport which can come close is baseball. A home plate umpire can do some damage if he's on the take. IMO, as long as people want to gamble and there is a weasel ref/ump out there who feels he's not getting paid enough by MLB or the NBA, they will run into situations such as these. Good luck.

fansince'76
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
They need to get that ref into protective custody ASAP before he gets whacked

Good point, AD - this has got "M-O-B" written all over it.

SteelCityMan786
07-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Good point, AD - this has got "M-O-B" written all over it.

It sure smells like it to.