PDA

View Full Version : Faneca's farewell to Pittsburgh

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Faneca's farewell to Pittsburgh

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 22, 2007

Day One of Alan Faneca's countdown to free agency begins in earnest on Monday at St. Vincent College.

By showing up as promised, Big Red will at least keep alive hope that his story will have something other than one of the most disappointing endings in Steelers history.

Sadly, that is about as likely as Brady Quinn winning the Super Bowl this season for Cleveland.

The Steelers once let Franco Harris finish his career in Seattle. Dan Rooney laments to this day that things didn't work out differently.

Faneca winding up in Arizona or some other NFL outpost would leave a similar taste in mouths on the South Side.

"Alan Faneca is a Pro Bowl player, a probable Hall of Fame player," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "You don't make six Pro Bowls in a row and not get to the Hall of Fame at some point. He's been a great player for us. He's been a great off-the-field person for us. There's no questioning that."

The issue is what such a player is worth.

The two sides are far enough apart for Faneca to have labeled the Steelers' offer for an extension "pretty much a non-offer" during that infamous minicamp rant back in mid-May.

Faneca said then he wasn't considering any course of action other than showing up to camp on time and playing out the season as best he could under the circumstances.

By doing so, he'll at least keep the door open a crack to an unanticipated resolution of differences.

Faneca knows the Steelers won't negotiate with someone who's AWOL.

Reporting as ordered won't in itself change the Steelers' opinion of him as it relates to 2008 and beyond, but it can't hurt.

Faneca fans have that much to cling to, but only that.

"We're open to keeping things alive, and his people are open to keeping things alive," Colbert said. "Whether we'll ever get anywhere, we don't know.

"What we know is Alan will be here for this season."

Both sides are also well aware of the Steelers' policy of entertaining potential extensions only until the preseason becomes the regular season, unless such a deal is perceived as imminent.

"That hasn't changed for anybody, and it won't change going forward," Colbert said.

Nor is Faneca likely to get any younger between now and then.

He'll be 31 in December.

Troy Polamalu, who has been deemed worthy of receiving a boatload of money, is 26.

And Ben Roethlisberger, who is destined to soon receive the Titanic of such sums, is 25.

And the Steelers aren't interested in spending too much now if it risks what they'll be capable of down the road.

"Never do we want to put it all on, 'OK, this is the year we're going for it,' " Colbert said. "If you do that and you have one key injury and everything's gone and you have to cut that whole team, now you've set yourself back three or four years.

"If we can have a good team every year and have a chance to get to the kind of run we got on when we won the Super Bowl, that's what we want to do."

With or without Alan Faneca, a player destined to embody the heart, the soul and the spirit of the Steelers -- right up until the moment the two part company.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_518396.html

The Duke
07-22-2007, 01:45 AM
If the steelers win the super bowl this year with Faneca how do you thing he will feel, after he said he wanted grimm or wisenhunt a head coach, will he rethink of his actions? I want him gone after 2007, but would be interesting to see how this plays out. An apology to all steelers fan would be awesome

RoethlisBURGHer
07-22-2007, 01:51 AM
No matter how much he whined and complained,I knew he would come to camp and I know he'll give us his best all season.

I'mma miss Big Red,I don't see him coming back next year after what he said though.I think by the end of the year he'll have a change of heart,but he kind of burned that bridge.He will resign with the Steelers though...for one day so he can retire wearing the Black and Gold.

Preacher
07-22-2007, 01:59 AM
If the steelers win the super bowl this year with Faneca how do you thing he will feel, after he said he wanted grimm or wisenhunt a head coach, will he rethink of his actions? I want him gone after 2007, but would be interesting to see how this plays out. An apology to all steelers fan would be awesome

Nope. I don't

I think he made his bed. It is too much to turn back now, unless he gets injured... or the Steelers come up with an unbelievable some of money. I don't hope for the first, and I don't see the last.

MACH1
07-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Faneca's going to find out the grass isn't always greener unless he's counting $$. Past players that left to play with other teams didn't always fair to well in different systems.

nicesteel4life
07-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Still feel he was a great lineman for the steelers, and yes 6 probowls in a row is amazing, but just as we all know, team is what wins! Slamming the orginazation and having a basic sissy fit doesnt show team! Crying over the babysitter, coach, isn't team! Saying I dont want to be captain anymore isn't team! Mad because after 3 years your not the highest paid guard isn't team! Do you all truly believe he is going to be at camp and play his hardest for the team! No, but Yes because he will only truly playing it for himself! greed can ruin a guy and thats why he wont be a part of this team! next year!

Preacher
07-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Faneca's going to find out the grass isn't always greener unless he's counting $$. Past players that left to play with other teams didn't always fair to well in different systems.

I doubt he was a system player... however, I think he will quickly learn what it means to play for a team taht doesn't have the heart like the Steelers do.

Galax Steeler
07-22-2007, 06:45 AM
yea big red Is a great player but i belive his money wont be that great down the road.

Atlanta Dan
07-22-2007, 08:16 AM

True - but they cashed bigger paychecks.

Since none of the FA departures missed out on getting SB rings (I do not recall any FA departures who would have stuck with the 2005 champs) it is hard to argue they made horrible career choices by not maximizing their income elsewhere.

It is business decision for both the Rooneys and the players. Faneca was odd man out with Troy getting his contract in the same year and Ben on deck (which I predict is not going to be a smooth
negotiation).

nicesteel4life
07-22-2007, 10:25 AM
True - but they cashed bigger paychecks.

S. Faneca was odd man out with Troy getting his contract in the same year and Ben on deck (which I predict is not going to be a smooth
negotiation).

Yes this is true, Troy was important guy NOW! BUT Ben better show something this year or negotiations wont have to happen! Lets not count the chickens before the get laid even. Faneca has played well and there tough. Dont play well and there not going to be there.

HometownGal
07-22-2007, 10:36 AM
I appreciate Faneca's accomplishments with the Steelers and don't wish any ill will towards him, but if he left tomorrow for that big cash cow which he feels he outright deserves (which I disagree with), I really wouldn't be all that upset. :wave:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Who is this Alan Faneca people keep speaking of?

Faneca is already an ex Steeler in my mind......So he doesn't even count anymore....lol Bad enough I will have to see him for 16 or more games this year.....lol

stillers4me
07-22-2007, 11:45 AM
My ultimate fantasy.........Big Red moves on to another team and becomes a has-been cashcow while his former teammates go on to win multiple championships under Coach Mike Tomlin and enjoy multimillion dollar endorsement deals for the rest of their careers!!! Thanks for the memories, Alan........now quit acting like a little bitch and play some football.

Atlanta Dan
07-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Who is this Alan Faneca people keep speaking of?

Faneca is already an ex Steeler in my mind......So he doesn't even count anymore....lol Bad enough I will have to see him for 16 or more games this year.....lol

Apparently in the mind of Ed.B. from the P-G as well. LOL

In the thumbnail descriptions of each player on the roster Bouchette does not list Faneca.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07203/803456-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 11:50 AM
I'll fill it in for Ed....

66. Alan Faneca Big mouth who went overboard with comments. Good riddance.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Apparently in the mind of Ed.B. from the P-G as well. LOL

In the thumbnail descriptions of each player on the roster Bouchette does not list Faneca.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07203/803456-66.stm

lol

I'm just saying Mr. Faneca has stated this will be his last year with the Steelers....So when he said that I'm acting like he doesn't matter anymore....I'm only interested in whats best for the Steelers especially the future of the franchise....Mr. Faneca isn't part of the future....lol

steelpride12
07-22-2007, 12:15 PM
i just hope that after he leaves he dosen't get a single thing he wants and he cry's to back in Pittsburgh!

Crushzilla
07-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Egads. Man, Faneca is taking a freaking licking today.

He said he's gonna play the season just as hard as he normally would. True, it may be for a bigger contract in FA, but that's his prerogative. As long as he comes to work I don't care how much he bitches.

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 12:31 PM
IMO and hypothetically, if he does start bitching, I would care and more importantly, I think his teammates and our first year HC care how much he bitches judging that they are the ones who have listen to him every other day in the lockerroom.

I'd like to ask the 49er and Eagle players what it's like to have somebody moaning and complaining for days on end when they are trying to win a Super Bowl. It makes for a long, long season. The last thing this team needs is a big mouth complainer. We already have enough question marks heading into this season (IMO).

Crushzilla
07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd like to ask the 49er and Eagle players what it's like to have somebody moaning and complaining for days on end when they are trying to win a Super Bowl. It makes for a long, long season. The last thing this team needs is a big mouth complainer. We already have enough question marks heading into this season (IMO).

I'm gonna have to throw the red flag on comparing Faneca to TO...

He said he's over it. He realizes he's not getting his contract. He's going to play out the season and walk. I don't see what there is left to bitch about. :hunch:

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm gonna have to throw the red flag on comparing Faneca to TO...

He said he's over it. He realizes he's not getting his contract. He's going to play out the season and walk. I don't see what there is left to bitch about. :hunch:

I'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing the hypothetical situation. It doesn't matter if it's T.O. or Hines Ward. Crying and moaning is crying and moaning no matter who's name is on the back of the jersey.

You stated that you don't care how much he bitches (apparently making a hypothetical assumption he will). I simply stated that I would care and more importantly, the players and first year HC would care. That is all.

Crushzilla
07-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Hypothetically, Faneca could have 1,000 rushing yards.

I have to trust what the guy says. I don't care how much he has bitched or bitches as long as he gets the job done. He says he's over it. He just wants to play.

I just can't seem to bring myself to throw a guy into the flames who has played AMAZING for us.

Sometimes I just feel like its good guy/bad guy in this league (and I'm not pointing at you 43-83).

Alan Faneca has been Pro Bowl Caliber Guard for years, but some ugly contract disputes and now he should be shunned forever. Santonio Holmes beats his wife and fumbled like crazy, but one catch against the Bengals in OT and he's a Godsend.

All I know is unless something insanely improbable happens (Faneca walks out, starts playing matador with DTs) I'll be right here in my LSU jersey cheering him on.

When he walks, he walks. We'll survive. His beef is with the FO. Some people are taking it personally.

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I have no problem with him asking for more money. The guy deserves it. The way he went about it is what turned me off. IMO, it showed a complete lack of professionalism, respect and class.

But I guess we will agree to disagree on the hypothetical situation.

Godfather
07-22-2007, 01:19 PM
I'd love to keep Faneca. But with the salary cap, keeping Faneca means losing Polamalu or Roethlisberger...and I'd rather have them. They're younger and harder to replace.

stillers4me
07-22-2007, 01:20 PM
He will be at training camp as expected. He most likely will not offer his opinion on the situatian unless asked by reporters, which they will probably hound him about it. And if his answer is similar to the last time he was asked, it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Instead of saying, "yes I'll be a training camp, period"...........he had to have the last word by stating, "but not with bells on". I just have this feeling he'll say the right thing.......with a parting shot to get the last word in. Prove me wrong, Alan.......act like the champion you are.

Crushzilla
07-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I have no problem with him asking for more money. The guy deserves it. The way he went about it is what turned me off. IMO, it showed a complete lack of professionalism, respect and class.

Fair enough, I can't totally disagree. I think him bitching about Grimm not getting the job was pretty lame.

But I guess we will agree to disagree on the hypothetical situation.

Come on, you can't argue that it would be amazing to see him rush for 1,000 yards :wink02:

Potentially, sure, it could happen. Anyone can become a distraction. I also totally agree that a guy like that would be the LAST thing Tomlin needs. I just can't wrap my head around a former team captain who has said he's over the negotiations, and ready to play, causing a stir.

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Potentially, sure, it could happen. Anyone can become a distraction. I also totally agree that a guy like that would be the LAST thing Tomlin needs. I just can't wrap my head around a former team captain who has said he's over the negotiations, and ready to play, causing a stir.

lol, your not understanding me. I'll try this one more time and then I'm just going to drop it.

You stated that IF he decided to start bitching and complaining that you would not care. I stated that IF he decided to start bitching and complaining that I would care and more importantly, so would the players and our first year HC.

Do you understand? I'm not stating he might or he will. I am stating that IF he did, I would have a problem with it and I feel the team as a whole would have a problem with it.

Crushzilla
07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
lol, your not understanding me. I'll try this one more time and then I'm just going to drop it.

You stated that IF he decided to start bitching and complaining that you would not care. I stated that IF he decided to start bitching and complaining that I would care and more importantly, so would the players and our first year HC.

Do you understand? I'm not stating he might or he will. I am stating that IF he did, I would have a problem with it and I feel the team as a whole would have a problem with it.

No, I understood you...

When I said I didn't care about the bitching I was referring to what he's been doing until... you know I don't even care.

I'm over it.

P.S. Just because I don't build my beliefs on hypotheticals doesn't mean I need things boldfaced for me.

Edman
07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I would be happy to give Mr. Faneca a proper no hard-feelings farewell...If he didn't act like a total *** this offseason.

Instead of a "I appreciate what you did for us, Alan" attitude, now it's more of a "I appreciate what you did for us, Alan, now get lost and good riddance" feeling. That's the feeling I have right now toward Alan right now.

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
P.S. Just because I don't build my beliefs on hypotheticals doesn't mean I need things boldfaced like I'm a f***ing toddler.

lol, no comment. :tt02::yawn:

Crushzilla
07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Actually, I'm sorry I said that 83.. I know you're just trying to get your point across...

HometownGal
07-22-2007, 01:52 PM
He will be at training camp as expected. He most likely will not offer his opinion on the situatian unless asked by reporters, which they will probably hound him about it. And if his answer is similar to the last time he was asked, it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Instead of saying, "yes I'll be a training camp, period"...........he had to have the last word by stating, "but not with bells on". I just have this feeling he'll say the right thing.......with a parting shot to get the last word in. Prove me wrong, Alan.......act like the champion you are.

He also had to add - "I don't wanna be a co-captain". Boo frickity hoo. Grow up, SHUT UP, get your pudgy little rear to camp, work hard, play hard during the season, good luck to ya and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out. :wave::wave:

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 01:52 PM
I would be happy to give Mr. Faneca a proper no hard-feelings farewell...If he didn't act like a total *** this offseason.

Instead of a "I appreciate what you did for us, Alan" attitude, now it's more of a "I appreciate what you did for us, Alan, now get lost and good riddance" feeling. That's the feeling I have right now toward Alan right now.

That's where I'm at man. I love what he brought to the team and if you would have told me a year ago Alan would go on tv and ream out ownership and act like a jerkoff, I would have said your nuts. At first, it surprised me more than it angered me to be honest.

But I'm with you. I wish the guy good luck, enjoy your big payday from another team and let's just get through this year without any problems.

xbroughneck
07-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks Alan.

Sorry we couldn't reach an understanding. May you do well in your future endeavors except when you play the black and gold.

It's been real.

:wave:

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Actually, I'm sorry I said that 83.. I know you're just trying to get your point across...

No problem man. I wasn't doing it in order to make you sound like a toddler. I really wasn't. Simply getting my point across. I apologize if it came across as such. I tend to get carried away with the "B" and "U"....lol. Once again, I apologize. :smile:

Crushzilla
07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
No problem man. I wasn't doing it in order to make you sound like a toddler. I really wasn't. Simply getting my point across. I apologize if it came across as such. I tend to get carried away with the "B" and "U"....lol. Once again, I apologize. :smile:

We're cool and I probably should have just left it when you said agree to disagree.

X-Terminator
07-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Bye Alan! Mind the ass/door interface on your way out! :wave:

steelafan
07-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Seems to me fans have forgotten just what Faneca said. He did not say he didn't want to be a Steeler next year. He said he WOULD'NT be a Steeler next year BECAUSE THE STEELERS HAVE DECIDED THEY DON'T WANT HIM BACK - even after they told him to expect a contract extension THIS offseason. He had not just hopes, but plans (backed up previously by the Steelers), to always and only be a Steeler, then someone else made the decision for him that he wouldn't be. I say his distress shows how loyal he was to the team. It's like he's kicked off the team, but they want to use him one more season before they dismiss him. I think it's the Steelers (who can remain conveniently behind closed doors) who are at fault. I know it's their way to not pay the big money, but I believe they have gone about this all wrong. They shouldn't have made promises they wouldn't keep. I wish Faneca the best wherever he is next year, and I hope the Steelers don't mismanage any more deals that create situations like this again. We fans always assume and blame the players for their faults, but aren't always aware of what went on behind the closed doors of the FO. Go Steelers, but let's not ignore the individuals who make up the team.

jjpro11
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
i think all the anger will be past him once the season ends and as long as he stays healthy and plays decently. i can only imagine what he would say or do if he got seriously hurt though. but thats the nfl.

83-Steelers-43
07-22-2007, 08:18 PM
They shouldn't have made promises they wouldn't keep.

Would you mind posting some proof that states the Steelers promised Faneca he would retire a Steeler or any promises at all?

Did they put it in print in his last contract? You know the one, the one that made him one of the highest paid guards in the league at the time. I just don't remember reading anywhere that the Steelers promised Alan a damn thing (besides the millions they paid him for his services over the years).

Any proof would be great. Thanks. :smile:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Well said 83. You're right the Steelers never promised anything to Faneca and if he wants more money and the Steelers dont want to give it to him then it seems like a good time to part ways. Its a buisness and some fans just dont get it.

Jman
07-22-2007, 09:07 PM
You're right the Steelers never promised anything to Faneca and if he wants more money and the Steelers dont want to give it to him then it seems like a good time to part ways. Its a buisness and some fans just dont get it.

This is a good summation of the whole situation. Steelers pay for a team, not a player. For me it's sad. Sad indeed, because I have enjoyed watching Faneca play. I can't say that the things he has said publically are right or wrong; all I can say is that I agree with coach, in that the man is a professional.

steelafan
07-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Would you mind posting some proof that states the Steelers promised Faneca he would retire a Steeler or any promises at all?

Did they put it in print in his last contract? You know the one, the one that made him one of the highest paid guards in the league at the time. I just don't remember reading anywhere that the Steelers promised Alan a damn thing (besides the millions they paid him for his services over the years).

Any proof would be great. Thanks. :smile:

I got it from the same person who told me that the Steelers did actually offer Grimm the head coaching position before they gave it to Tomlin. And of course I don't want to get anyone in trouble by telling who that was. I've been a Steelers fan for a lot of years, but I'm losing respect for the Rooneys honesty, or at least for the Rooney who's running the show now. And since I realize that this really isn't the proof you want, I'll just back out of this issue for the final time. I've said what I wanted to say, and I'll shut up now.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I got it from the same person who told me that the Steelers did actually offer Grimm the head coaching position before they gave it to Tomlin. And of course I don't want to get anyone in trouble by telling who that was.

Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Well said 83. You're right the Steelers never promised anything to Faneca and if he wants more money and the Steelers dont want to give it to him then it seems like a good time to part ways. Its a buisness and some fans just dont get it.

That's all it really boils down to in my book.

It's a business. It's not personal. It's not as if the Rooney's paid Faneca in peanuts over the years. He was paid nicely for his services, but now it's time to cut ties. It's happens every year to many other players around the NFL. The Rooney's are not the first and only owners to do this. The only difference between this situation and the others around the league......we didn't have to hear a grown man get on national tv in order to bitch and moan about how badly he was treated.

Eitherway though, poor Alan, he will have to go to another city to make double what he would make in this city. How will he ever be able to support his family while making that type of scratch? Maybe during the opener the whole stadium will have a moment of silence for Alan and his family.

Anyways, I would be willing to bet the same people who are upset with the Rooney's for not paying Alan Faneca HUGE money would be the same people wondering why we weren't able to pay Polamalu and Roethlisberger down the road. Just a guess on my part.

Hammer67
07-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, as I am one of the few who owns and wears a Faneca jersey with pride, I was sorry to see this episode transpire. I do believe it is a mistake to get rid of the HOF anchor of your line but I also think they were paying guards ridiculous money (and to average players) so this situation obviously came to a head. If I was Faneca, and I saw those signings, I would want at least that as well. What I wouldn't have done was make the comment about not "having security" which is completely retarded. What a ridiculous statement.

I will always appreciate Faneca as one of the greatest Steelers and players in general that I have ever had the pleasure of watching. And, I hope they continue to talk throughout camp. But, if he moves on to get the cash, I will still wear my jersey with pride.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 06:32 PM
but I'm losing respect for the Rooneys honesty.

I wonder if that's the case with Troy? :wink02:

Elvis
07-23-2007, 06:52 PM
:banging: Faneca is OverRated Anyway
Thats right, he is overrated. NFL Live talking about OT Robert Gallery of the Raiders, saying that he is a fine run blocker, but his passblocking pretty much stinks... Well, in my opinion... Faneca is No Defferent. The man seems to get beat atleast twice a game or so, either for giving up a sack or letting his defender make a tackle for a 4 yard loss. I know this is not gonna be popular with some of our Steelers fans/friends, but I have felt this way for couple years now, and with Hartings helping Faneca out for all these years, now what is Fanie gonna do?
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Jman
07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
:banging: Faneca is OverRated Anyway
Thats right, he is overrated. NFL Live talking about OT Robert Gallery of the Raiders, saying that he is a fine run blocker, but his passblocking pretty much stinks... Well, in my opinion... Faneca is No Defferent. The man seems to get beat atleast twice a game or so, either for giving up a sack or letting his defender make a tackle for a 4 yard loss. I know this is not gonna be popular with some of our Steelers fans/friends, but I have felt this way for couple years now, and with Hartings helping Faneca out for all these years, now what is Fanie gonna do?
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

I don't know if I would say Alan Faneca is overrated. I don't believe he is. He is a very good guard. I would say last year though, there were times he did get beat off the line and it cost. The O-line in general needed some help and I think shifting things around and mixing it up will benefit the team this year.

P.S. - I too wore a Faneca jersey with pride :helmet:

X-Terminator
07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
He had not just hopes, but plans (backed up previously by the Steelers), to always and only be a Steeler, then someone else made the decision for him that he wouldn't be.

Yeah, somebody did make that decision for him - the teams that decided to ridiculously overpay for lesser OL talent. If Alan wants to point fingers and blame someone for not getting a contract extension from the Steelers, he can start with them. He won't, though - it's much easier to whine about how unfair the Rooneys are. :blah:

I know it's their way to not pay the big money

I think the Steelers just gave 33 million reasons why this statement no longer holds any water.

Preacher
07-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, somebody did make that decision for him - the teams that decided to ridiculously overpay for lesser OL talent. If Alan wants to point fingers and blame someone for not getting a contract extension from the Steelers, he can start with them. He won't, though - it's much easier to whine about how unfair the Rooneys are. :blah:

I think the Steelers just gave 33 million reasons why this statement no longer holds any water.

Again... What I find funny is that the Steelers are ALWAYS close to the cap! So how the heck can they be cheap?

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Well, as I am one of the few who owns and wears a Faneca jersey with pride, I was sorry to see this episode transpire. I do believe it is a mistake to get rid of the HOF anchor of your line but I also think they were paying guards ridiculous money (and to average players) so this situation obviously came to a head. If I was Faneca, and I saw those signings, I would want at least that as well. What I wouldn't have done was make the comment about not "having security" which is completely retarded. What a ridiculous statement.

I will always appreciate Faneca as one of the greatest Steelers and players in general that I have ever had the pleasure of watching. And, I hope they continue to talk throughout camp. But, if he moves on to get the cash, I will still wear my jersey with pride.

You never know man. I'm 100% sure the guy is gone, but Rob King (filled in for Savern tonight) is at Latrobe and he interviewed Colbert tonight. Colbert stated that both sides have kept the door open for negotiations and that the Steelers would like to sit back, see how much money they have left over after signing the rooks and Polamalu and then go from there.

Take that for what it's worth.

IMO, Faneca is gone eitherway.

83-Steelers-43
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Again... What I find funny is that the Steelers are ALWAYS close to the cap! So how the heck can they be cheap?

Because it's fun and it's the "in" thing to say. Get with it Preacher. :wink02:

fansince'76
07-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, somebody did make that decision for him - the teams that decided to ridiculously overpay for lesser OL talent.

Agreed - not to mention those are pretty much the same teams that draft in the top 5 year in and year out as well. Funny how that works, isn't it?

SteelCurtainUSNA
07-23-2007, 07:45 PM
I have said this before on other forums and I'll say it again.

I sincerely feel that Faneca's agent is sleeping, dead, or just retarded. How is it that you allow your talent to continually make his next paycheck smaller and smaller. Every time that Ginger Kid opens his mouth and has himself a little hissy fit in front of the Pittsburgh media, he lessens the amount of money that he will make with his next team. He needs to shut up, play another pro bowl season, and get paid for mediocre play in Arizona.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2007, 09:07 PM

I sincerely feel that Faneca's agent is sleeping, dead, or just retarded. How is it that you allow your talent to continually make his next paycheck smaller and smaller. Every time that Ginger Kid opens his mouth and has himself a little hissy fit in front of the Pittsburgh media, he lessens the amount of money that he will make with his next team. He needs to shut up, play another pro bowl season, and get paid for mediocre play in Arizona.

Pre-draft some of us thought the plan was to pull a Porter and threaten to be so disruptive they would trade him for what they could get. Once that did not happen I am clueless as to what he was thinking at mini-camp but his behavior will make no difference for his future income; as far as getting bonus points for making nice, it's a business.

If Faneca is a constant jerk but returns to his pre-2006 level of play he will get a fat contract. If he goes over to Coach Tomlin's house once a week to drink cocoa and make s'mores while singing Kumbaya but shows a further decline from his poor 2006 level of play he will not cash in. Nobody gets paid more or less for being Mr. Congeniality in the NFL.

Preacher
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Pre-draft some of us thought the plan was to pull a Porter and threaten to be so disruptive they would trade him for what they could get. Once that did not happen I am clueless as to what he was thinking at mini-camp but his behavior will make no difference for his future income; as far as getting bonus points for making nice, it's a business.

If Faneca is a constant jerk but returns to his pre-2006 level of play he will get a fat contract. If he goes over to Coach Tomlin's house once a week to drink cocoa and make s'mores while singing Kumbaya but shows a further decline from his poor 2006 level of play he will not cash in. Nobody gets paid more or less for being Mr. Congeniality in the NFL.

True and true...

However, you left out a third possibility....

If he returns to a pre-2006 level of play, AND makes s'mores with Tomlin... His contract offers will go through the roof... why? Because teams will want that CHARACTER PLUS TALENT.

Would you rather spend 30 million on a guy that has a 50 percent chance of causing problems on your team, creating character issues... etc? Or the same amount of money on a guy that you KNOW will show up, shut up, and play when you ask him too? Especially when they have the exact same talent?

I would take the latter, and that is Fanaca's choice right now. From what he has said, he is picking the latter, and I say good for him. That is what being a professional is about.

Galax Steeler
07-24-2007, 05:06 AM
[QUOTE]Would you rather spend 30 million on a guy that has a 50 percent chance of causing problems on your team, creating character issues... etc? Or the same amount of money on a guy that you KNOW will show up, shut up, and play when you ask him too? Especially when they have the exact same talent?
That is so true preacher.

Hammer67
07-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Uh...if that was the case then Terrel Owens and Randy Moss would be making the leauge minimum!!! :flap:

Preacher
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Uh...if that was the case then Terrel Owens and Randy Moss would be making the leauge minimum!!! :flap:

Well...

Look at thier output the last couple of years...

They probably should be!! :wink02:

Hammer67
07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Well...

Look at thier output the last couple of years...

They probably should be!! :wink02:

Owens had a decent year, last year....considering the new offense, and all.